3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL-S vs G35

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
^ I honestly don't know. I can't decide if I want go back to an SUV...for a more relaxing ride. I did enjoy driving my FX... but the moment the gas station attendant got too friendly with me.. I've realized I've spent too much time refilling the car instead of driving it.

Most likely I'll get a sedan. I'm thinking 535i or e55. Nothing crazy. My fav. brand is a Lexus in terms of quality, but the soft ride is not what I'm after. I'll drive my TL-S for another two years, hopefully by then a new cooler car will come out.

As of today, I REALLY want the GS-F...but hell.. expensive.
Old 04-02-2009, 01:01 PM
2008 335i e92 6MT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol i was looking up specs on the is-f x_X i thought they said it actually has a bumpy ride cuz the hardened track tuned suspension?
Old 04-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by MobTownTL
lol i was looking up specs on the is-f x_X i thought they said it actually has a bumpy ride cuz the hardened track tuned suspension?
It has soooo much horse power and torque I would assume it is a stiff ride. I love the exhaust...it's insane.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:16 PM
2008 335i e92 6MT

lol the exhaust is actually fake? lol x_X at least the tips. i guess it sounds alright but not a quads x_X
Old 04-03-2009, 09:28 AM
Race Director

Originally Posted by MobTownTL
lol the exhaust is actually fake? lol x_X at least the tips. i guess it sounds alright but not a quads x_X
If you don't have straight pipes..they are all fake.. including my TL-S.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,666 Likes on 930 Posts
While I wouldnt call them fake (they are functional), dual exhausts on the wide range of FWD based Asian makes are mostly dual outlets with more of an aesthetic purpose (i.e.: Nissan Altima V6) as opposed to an actual dual exhaust (i.e.: Nissan 350Z).
Old 04-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Instructor

Well I just raced a 1st Gen G35 4 door Auto from a Dig. I have a 08 TL-S MT, bone stock.

I was stopped at a Red light and he rolled up to my right, made eye contact and was pretty obvious he wanted to race. He edged forward several times preparing to launch off of the green.

When the light turned green he floored it. I didn't even launch my car aggressively and simply eased into 1st gear. At this point he was probably 1 car length to 1 1/2 lengths ahead of me. As soon as 1st gear was fully engaged I WOT'd and pulled on him considerably. Went to about 75 and let off as I was 1 car length ahead and another red light was coming up. We lined up again for another go, I'm not sure if he floored it this time. He didn't make eye contact I'm assuming discouraged since I let him have like a car length head start last time. Second run was worse than the first, destroyed him by 3 car lengths or more, 0-60.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
The fact that he was inching up prior to the run tells me he wasn't brake stalling for an optimal launch. Launching off idle nets me 2.3 60 foots and 14.6-14.7@98mph. With a brake stall launch to around 2400rpm, my 60 foot drop to mid 2.1s and 14.3-14.4s@98mph. This was stock.
Old 04-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 76 Posts
Doesn't matter it was to 60 and 75, just imagine the results to over 100. The S could have also launched better himself, or even rode the clutch out, if he was really serious, not to mention the G got a pretty good jump on the first run, and the s still pulled ahead by a car at 75. 8-10 cars by the 1/4 2nd run, easy.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 04-04-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 10:54 AM
2003 Accord Coupe V6

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by winstrolvtec
Doesn't matter it was to 60 and 75, just imagine the results to over 100. The S could have also launched better himself, or even rode the clutch out, if he was really serious, not to mention the G got a pretty good jump on the first run, and the s still pulled ahead by a car at 75. 8-10 cars by the 1/4 2nd run, easy.
lol not 8-10 cars. Probobly 2-3 cars at most depending on the driver. The TL-S 6mt runs low 14's with traps around 99-101MPH. DaveB ran a 14.3@98MPH(most people run mid-high 14's with that G). Your talking a good drivers race. If the TL-S driver isn't the best of drivers he might be seeing the G's taillights.
Old 04-05-2009, 12:17 PM
Burning Brakes

8 to 10 cars in the 1/4 mile Stock LS1 F-bodies running 13.4-13.6@105mph+ don't put 10 cars on my G35 5AT at the strip. I can totally see 1 to 2 cars in the 1/4 mile in a race between a TL-S 6MT and G35 5AT, assuming the drivers, 60 foots, and reaction times are comparable.

I've beaten FAR faster cars at the strip because the driver either was horrible, they're 60' was bad, or I outreacted them. It definitely doesn't mean my G is faster though. I know better than that.
Old 04-05-2009, 02:12 PM
Drifting

You're not wrong, I was referring to that particular siuation in the 2nd run, I said it but it wasn't clear. Not implying a regular run at a strip. The G wasn't brake tq'd and the auto runs closer to 15 when not, just like the base TL. LOL...... everybody's so jumpy around here. 6-8 definite, 8-10 best and worse case.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 04-05-2009 at 02:17 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:19 AM
Senior Moderator

You're not wrong, I was referring to that particular siuation in the 2nd run, I said it but it wasn't clear. Not implying a regular run at a strip. The G wasn't brake tq'd and the auto runs closer to 15 when not, just like the base TL. LOL...... everybody's so jumpy around here. 6-8 definite, 8-10 best and worse case.

MODERATOR'S NOTE: People here like to keep things in context here; we don't want to fall into the same trap as Civic message boards with claims of pulling on Mustangs and Vettes all the while those same Stangs and Vettes were traveling at the speed limit.....or worse yet, were parked.

Personally, I'll not post a kill story on a car that I know is faster than mine (OR excess beatdown on a car that should be as fast as mine) unless I caveat that the other driver clearly was not racing OR did not know how to OR if conditions prevented him/her from making an effective run (i.e.: poor road surface, etc,...).

Again, just a matter of keeping things in perspective. I commend Dave_B and Satin for keeping the record straight on the abilities of these cars. Most others in the "the know" will read these types of stories and just before moving on to the next thread.
Old 04-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Burning Brakes

Auto Gs run 15s when not brake torqued. Na. Mine did 14.68@97.6mph and other have done 14.5s. Actually, a few G owners run their best times launching right off idle and I'm not quite sure how they pull off lower 14s doing it.

Last edited by Dave_B; 04-06-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-07-2009, 12:55 AM
Drifting

Hey MOD, that is exactly my point. While I appeciate your effort and the other work you do here, I think if people don't take things out of context, than we can keep things in context. Anytime you have a thread about one car vs another, you are going to get claims, and that's all they are, just claims, but that does by no means make the story fake or at all true, for that matter. Then naturally, you have individuals who want to plead a case for their car and others for theirs, or voice their experiences and what not. This is done to validate the occurance, as there is not much more you can do with just a claim. To be fair, you cannot make a case for why a car didn't run better, while not considering the same for the other, and vice versa. You said yourself, you don't make such a claim without making note that the other driver, for whatever reason, was not capable of a good run, than why wouldn't you make that same note for yourself? It is the exact same thing just reversed. If we are supposed to end every kill story with," I am a better driver", or" he didn't know how to drive", etc, or not post at all, considering that these cars perform similarly, then what is the point of the thread? You make it sound like, if they are as fast as each other than why have the discussion in the first place, like a TL vs TL thread would be pointless, I would find that interesting. You want to keep things in perspective, then pay more attention to what people actually post, and indentify those who actually take those things out of context. Not only was I specific once, but twice, and just to be fair, I gave everyone the benefit of the boubt, the second time, which wasn't even called for. But how can I expect you to do that when you are doing it yourself? I made comments in regards to that race, that is the point of this thread, and shared my opinion on that particular one, which has it's own particular circumstances. It is in English. I don't recall specifically denouncing any car just for the sake of if it. Frankly, I don't care what "others" do, or what they think, since according to you, not owning either car, except for Dave, now constitutes being in "the know". For the record, your affiliation with the Nissan brand shows, Dave has one so I don't blame him, but last I checked this is an Acura forum. Too many people want to force "the know" on others when "the know" that they are insinuating, isn't even what's being specifically talked about. I think it's safe to say that 90% of the people who come here "know" what these cars can do, yet they still come here for the purpose of discussion and enlightenment. I, as well as they, can pull up all the #'s the G and TL runs in seconds, or better, so why is it assumed that someone who wants to discuss actual details of these experiences is not knowledgeable? Could it be you never applied that information to a higher level of thinking?, only to what is or what isn't, how simple. Look, I respect what is trying to be done, I happen to agree with that, but if you had said "most others who are not in "the know" will read these types of stories and misinterperate the information, getting the wrong idea", it would have been more appropriate. So lets be fair, I will be more specific, everyone else, read a post more than once if you are gonna respond to it, and STOP BEING SO DAMN JUMPY.

Last edited by winstrolvtec; 04-07-2009 at 12:58 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:35 AM
Senior Moderator

Hey MOD, that is exactly my point. While I appeciate your effort and the other work you do here, I think if people don't take things out of context, than we can keep things in context. Anytime you have a thread about one car vs another, you are going to get claims, and that's all they are, just claims, but that does by no means make the story fake or at all true, for that matter. Then naturally, you have individuals who want to plead a case for their car and others for theirs, or voice their experiences and what not. This is done to validate the occurance, as there is not much more you can do with just a claim. To be fair, you cannot make a case for why a car didn't run better, while not considering the same for the other, and vice versa. You said yourself, you don't make such a claim without making note that the other driver, for whatever reason, was not capable of a good run, than why wouldn't you make that same note for yourself? It is the exact same thing just reversed. If we are supposed to end every kill story with," I am a better driver", or" he didn't know how to drive", etc, or not post at all, considering that these cars perform similarly, then what is the point of the thread? You make it sound like, if they are as fast as each other than why have the discussion in the first place, like a TL vs TL thread would be pointless, I would find that interesting. You want to keep things in perspective, then pay more attention to what people actually post, and indentify those who actually take those things out of context. Not only was I specific once, but twice, and just to be fair, I gave everyone the benefit of the boubt, the second time, which wasn't even called for. But how can I expect you to do that when you are doing it yourself? I made comments in regards to that race, that is the point of this thread, and shared my opinion on that particular one, which has it's own particular circumstances. It is in English. I don't recall specifically denouncing any car just for the sake of if it. Frankly, I don't care what "others" do, or what they think, since according to you, not owning either car, except for Dave, now constitutes being in "the know". For the record, your affiliation with the Nissan brand shows, Dave has one so I don't blame him, but last I checked this is an Acura forum. Too many people want to force "the know" on others when "the know" that they are insinuating, isn't even what's being specifically talked about. I think it's safe to say that 90% of the people who come here "know" what these cars can do, yet they still come here for the purpose of discussion and enlightenment. I, as well as they, can pull up all the #'s the G and TL runs in seconds, or better, so why is it assumed that someone who wants to discuss actual details of these experiences is not knowledgeable? Could it be you never applied that information to a higher level of thinking?, only to what is or what isn't, how simple. Look, I respect what is trying to be done, I happen to agree with that, but if you had said "most others who are not in "the know" will read these types of stories and misinterperate the information, getting the wrong idea", it would have been more appropriate. So lets be fair, I will be more specific, everyone else, read a post more than once if you are gonna respond to it, and STOP BEING SO DAMN JUMPY.
I'll not belabor my statement any further than I have. To wit, this thread has run it useful course some time ago. Have a pleasant day.