Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL-S Transmission GM Questions ETC.

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Ryan's loving his ATLP TL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TL-S Transmission GM Questions ETC.

I have an 07 TL-S 6MT and I am REALLY close to pulling the trigger and putting in the GM Friction Modified fluid in since i've heard pretty much only good things about it. And I just want the best love for my tranny.

If I change it to the GM fluid, how long of an interval would you recommend?

My 3rd and 4th doesn't pop out all the time, honestly it hasn't popped out in a month or so now and I'm using regular HG MTF. But it if came down to it, is it bad to change back to HG MTF? I dont know too much about switching fluids around.

I'm hearing also that Honda has a newer MTF? Better? How would you compare it to the GM fluid? Improved? Just as good? Cause if it's just as good as the GM solution, i'd just stick with the Honda Genuine.

I'm bout to order the fluid off of this website:

http://www.gmpartsonline.net/

Part #: 12377916

What's the part # for the newer HG MTF?

Like I said before. I'd rather stick with the HG fluid.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:08 PM
Drifting

Received 601 Likes on 449 Posts
I don't know when the "newer" fluid came out from Honda, but in my '05 it was an improvement for sure. My issues were not fully resolved with the newer fluid, but it was good enough for now while it was still under warranty. My issues were not related to the 3rd gear pop-out though....mine were related to 2nd and 6th not wanting to go into gear.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:23 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,014 Likes on 14,518 Posts
I actually changed to the new acura/honda fluid a year ago...it was good...had a few mis shifts when pushing the car hard and recently put in a short shifter and lower knob and going into gear felt kinda notchy...like, you could feel metal on metal etc. Not bad and I've never had the pop out problem...but I figured I'd give the GM stuff a try. Changed to that about 2 weeks ago and MAN, it IS as smooth as everyone says. Made me wish I had just gone for that in the first place.

Even if you don't have a problem, I recommend going with the GM stuff...it is amazing how nice and buttery smooth the tranny can feel.

Should be $44 for 3 quarts with tax...AT a GM dealership.
J.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
The change intervals will depend upon how many miles you have on your TL and whether or not this is the first change. So assuming this is your first drain and fill, I would do the next one maybe 20 to 30 thousand miles later. This is because your first drain and fill is going to drain quite a bit of synchronizer filings (the amount will depend upon how you operate your transmission but you are going to get a bit of it). I do my drain and fill every 40,000 miles but you can extend that easily to 60,000 after your first drain and fill.

You indicated that your problems with your manual are minimal so you can most likely expect to see significant improvement in your transmission's operation and most likely a complete stoppage of your popping out of gear problem. The drain and fill is a VERY simple and mess-free job so if you are of a mind to switch to the newer Honda fluid down the road, it's a simple task. Here's a few tips for you and I suggest you read some members' posts about this for the fine points.

o You do not need to remove the engine air filter housing, the battery, or anything else of the sort to do this job.

o Make sure your transaxle is level before doing the drain and fill unless you remove the check plug (which I don't recommend because if its very light torque spec).

o Use new washers and most definitely use a torque wrench.

o Take your time, don't rush, and you'll be pleased with your work and the results.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:19 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 185 Likes on 131 Posts
I tried the "improved" HG MTF back when it was introduced and saw little to no benefit from it. I switched to the GM SMFM and things have been fine ever since. Intervals of 25K Miles should be fine from what I've read.

I'll agree with what Southern Boy says with respect to how easy it is but add the following.
  • There's a cover on the bottom of the engine held on by 2 bolts (10mm) and a bunch of the plastic quick-clips. Sometimes shooting the clips with spray slilcone spray really helps.
  • I find a 3/8 swivel adapter on the end of a long extension gets to the fill plug. The fill plug will be hard to get open. When it finally does break free you will feel and hear it. Do yourself a favor and try and break it free FIRST. You don't want to end up with a drained transaxle and no way to fill it.
  • I do use the check plug but it's only a 10mm bolt so be very careful with it if you chose to use it.

Re: https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-2004-2008-93/%2A-6-spd-tranny-fluid-change-%2A-3g-garage-c-013-a-558814/ for some good picks of where everything is.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:05 PM
Ryan's loving his ATLP TL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks for all the info. Greatly appreciated. And I ordered 3qts of the GM fluid today. I will let you know when I get it. So Torque wrench is a must on this. I'm going to stop by Napa to see if I can find that pump to make it loads easier.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:35 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Adobeman
I tried the "improved" HG MTF back when it was introduced and saw little to no benefit from it. I switched to the GM SMFM and things have been fine ever since. Intervals of 25K Miles should be fine from what I've read.

I'll agree with what Southern Boy says with respect to how easy it is but add the following.
  • There's a cover on the bottom of the engine held on by 2 bolts (10mm) and a bunch of the plastic quick-clips. Sometimes shooting the clips with spray slilcone spray really helps.
  • I find a 3/8 swivel adapter on the end of a long extension gets to the fill plug. The fill plug will be hard to get open. When it finally does break free you will feel and hear it. Do yourself a favor and try and break it free FIRST. You don't want to end up with a drained transaxle and no way to fill it.
  • I do use the check plug but it's only a 10mm bolt so be very careful with it if you chose to use it.

Re: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=558814 for some good picks of where everything is.
Yeah, I didn't want to go into too much detail since he can very easily do a search and find all the info he needs for this on these forums.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:43 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RJNN TL
Thanks for all the info. Greatly appreciated. And I ordered 3qts of the GM fluid today. I will let you know when I get it. So Torque wrench is a must on this. I'm going to stop by Napa to see if I can find that pump to make it loads easier.
Your drain and fill will take 2.3 quarts (U.S.) which is 2 quarts, 10 ounces rounded. This assumes a level case. You can remove the check plug (sometimes called a sight plug), but be very careful with this one as it only takes 8.7 ft/lbs of torque when you put it back in. Some members have managed to wrench the head off of this little bold and then they have a problem on their hands.

Most definitely you will want to use a torque wrench - cheap insurance. The fill plug takes 33 ft/lbs and the drain plug takes 29. As Adobeman said, use a few extentions and a swivel once you break it free and you'll be fine. This bold has a 3/8" female receptacle on its top for a 3/8" drive. You are almost certain to need a breaker bar for its first removal. If a drain and fill has been done before, you probably won't need this.

Not sure what you mean by a pump from Napa, but if you mean a pump to refill the tranny case, you don't need this at all. Use the fill plug. Much easier, no mess, and that's what it's there for.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:42 PM
2004 Aspec TL

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
I hear mix reviews btween GM syncromesh friction modified & Amsoil Manual Synchromesh Transmission Fluid 5W-30... Want to know which one is better, for my
04' 6MT