Sponsored by:

TL-S Beats IS350 & G35 @ the Track

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Make Nice, Not Rice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look what someone wrote in a different forum:

Originally Posted by **DONOTDELETE** **DONOTDELETE** on another forum
First of all, I would like to say that I have worked with Acura and now I work for Infiniti!
I am a fanatic about performance and of course quality too. The TL-S is a great car for the money. But quality is not the same compared to the G35! The TL is manufactured in Ohio Marysville meanwhile the G35 is built in Japan! You will notice ONLY the higher end Acuras are built in Japan such as the NSX and RL! I have driven both and find that the level of quality not to be equal. There is ALOT more wind noise on the TL vs the G35! I've seen lots of defects and poor workmanship on the TL-S(paint, hoods/trunks not aligned, cheap leather, buttons, even ride height on some). As for performance.......real performance cars ARE rear wheel drive!!! Torque is more on the G35 as horspower is the same. Suspension parts are nowhere equal! As the TL-S uses cheap stamped steel and rods for parts......the G35 uses lightweight forged aluminum arms just like the NSX! TL uses a throttle cable as the G uses fly by wire like the Q45! Traction control is another factor where the G35 uses ABS, fuel cutoff, gears, AND throttle position to control wheel spin..........the TL only uses the ABS! These are just a few comparisons that show a upperhand of the G35, but I am sure there will be more! Oh BTW.........In japan the G35 is refered as the LEGENDARY "Skyline" built off a sports car chassis! The TL Chassis is no more than a regular family sedan! I can understand those who already have TL's or can only afford the TL and don't like G35 (what is a few more thousand for a car this calibre?). If I had a domestic built car like the TL, I would feel the same. But bashing the G35's performance? I am trying hard to understand HOW the TL-s can out perform the G! Are we TL-s owners just lying to ourselves? C'mon guys get real!"
Old 05-22-2008, 09:48 PM
Race Director

here we go again, but the TSX is also made in Japan.
Old 05-23-2008, 02:07 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 846 Likes on 526 Posts
Originally Posted by ballerjai

Default TL-S vs G35 I like both!
First of all, I would like to say that I have worked with Acura and now I work for Infiniti!
I am a fanatic about performance and of course quality too. The TL-S is a great car for the money. But quality is not the same compared to the G35! The TL is manufactured in Ohio Marysville meanwhile the G35 is built in Japan! You will notice ONLY the higher end Acuras are built in Japan such as the NSX and RL! I have driven both and find that the level of quality not to be equal. There is ALOT more wind noise on the TL vs the G35! I've seen lots of defects and poor workmanship on the TL-S(paint, hoods/trunks not aligned, cheap leather, buttons, even ride height on some). As for performance.......real performance cars ARE rear wheel drive!!! Torque is more on the G35 as horspower is the same. Suspension parts are nowhere equal! As the TL-S uses cheap stamped steel and rods for parts......the G35 uses lightweight forged aluminum arms just like the NSX! TL uses a throttle cable as the G uses fly by wire like the Q45! Traction control is another factor where the G35 uses ABS, fuel cutoff, gears, AND throttle position to control wheel spin..........the TL only uses the ABS! These are just a few comparisons that show a upperhand of the G35, but I am sure there will be more! Oh BTW.........In japan the G35 is refered as the LEGENDARY "Skyline" built off a sports car chassis! The TL Chassis is no more than a regular family sedan! I can understand those who already have TL's or can only afford the TL and don't like G35 (what is a few more thousand for a car this calibre?). If I had a domestic built car like the TL, I would feel the same. But bashing the G35's performance? I am trying hard to understand HOW the TL-s can out perform the G! Are we TL-s owners just lying to ourselves? C'mon guys get real!"

oh gosh this is one of the funniest posts I've read on Acurazine...especially the quality part!! and funny that he mentioned the traction control in the TL-S....when there's the VSA.....and legendary skyline??? he must be pretty pissed now to see the new GT-R...does not even contain the name "Skyline" anymore haha!!
Old 05-23-2008, 10:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,667 Likes on 931 Posts
I would not read too much into the fact that the TL is assembled stateside (vs Japan). Build quality has more to do with the make's QC practices and that of its parts supplier. Historically speaking, the weakest part of the TL for the last two generations has been the tranny which I believe was/is imported from Japan.

While I do believe that the Acura brand could benefit from having a few RWD based vehicles, they have done well in producing a TL that gives up very little to its RWD/AWD competitors when it comes to performance.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:01 PM
There's alot of asian in

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
the last post on the first page made me laugh. he said the IS F is the upgraded version of IS350 (true)...so what about the IS250? THe IS have three upgrades...

So could the TL-S get an extra upgrade to complete with the ISF? It would be only fair =P

Fair standard:
IS250 Vs. Base TL . IS350 Vs. TL-S . IS-F Vs. ???? Stage of TL-S lol
Old 05-23-2008, 12:21 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Originally Posted by F23A4
I would not read too much into the fact that the TL is assembled stateside (vs Japan). Build quality has more to do with the make's QC practices and that of its parts supplier. Historically speaking, the weakest part of the TL for the last two generations has been the tranny which I believe was/is imported from Japan.

While I do believe that the Acura brand could benefit from having a few RWD based vehicles, they have done well in producing a TL that gives up very little to its RWD/AWD competitors when it comes to performance.
+1
Old 05-23-2008, 04:06 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Warning: Straw man argument ahead

Originally Posted by ballerjai
The only thing wrong with this misinformed post is that it is almost totally incorrect. We don't need to propogate this troll's ramblings over here where we know better.

Our TL's traction control is built into the Vehicle Stability Control and used brakes, engine power, etc. to reduce loss of traction.

Our TL has always had throttle by wire.

Our front suspension parts are aluminum castings which are clearly visible if you bother to look. So is the front sub-frame parts.

Some other parts, like locating arms and stabilizer bars are tubing and/or rods because they are the best material offering controlled flex. Aluminum doesn't flex well in those applications. I have never seen an aluminum stabilizer bar.

And interior quality? All you have to do is sit in an Infiniti and experience the cheap, plastic materials--- the same ones you get in an Altima or Maxima--- and then sit in an Acura to see the obvious differences. If you like orange back lighting and silver painted plastic from the '90's, you might like it.

But, this is getting us off track from the thread title. The point of the thread title remains as true today as it was then, inspite of Nissan fanatics who are groping for straws to change the topic.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:37 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts
I'll admit that the TL has a nicer interior, better "perceived" quality (though TLs rattle pretty dang badly as the miles pile on), has a smoother ride, is quieter on the inside, and has a really nice exterior look. The G35 on the otherhand has a soul. It's harsher and a little more raw. It steers better, it has far better handling feel thanks to RWD, it has lot more low rpm grunt, a far better sound, a more aggressive drivers seat, better brakes, a better suspension design (wishbone owns Mc-struts), much better weight balance and lighter supension components. It just depends on what you want and what's important to you.
Old 05-23-2008, 07:16 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

lol, really? sound? well, i guess..each to his own.

feel, yea, if you like RWD then obviously it's better.

More low end grunt, that's what you get for having a bigger engine.

aggressive seats..lol..i'm not too sure..again, each to his own.

brakes, I agree, unless it's a type R, the brakes aren't gonna be very good on a Honda.

hmm, suspension-wise, TL has always been all-around double-wishbone, I believe G35 has rear multi-link, which is also good.

I think in the end, it all comes down to what you prefer. Each of these cars has its strengths and weaknesses. And there are also a few subjective categories, namely the sound department, some prefer the sound of the G35, some prefer the sound of the TL.
Old 05-23-2008, 08:47 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Type-S driver, but prefer the sound of the G.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
How do the new G35 interiors compare to TL? They look 100X better than the old interior in pictures, but I haven't seen one in person. Acura leather does suck IMO.
Old 05-23-2008, 11:36 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

it's supposed to be better than before too.
Old 05-24-2008, 04:22 AM
Make Nice, Not Rice

haha thanks for the input, I didn't post it to start an argument. My intentions were to have reasonable feedback to argue against G's who think they are better all around compared to us TL owners. Anyways, good to hear the good stuff and the bad.
Old 05-24-2008, 07:21 AM

Received 3,489 Likes on 2,089 Posts
The TL has a nicer interior design, but the build quality is hit and miss. On both the 2G and 3G you'll find mismatching dashboards/door panels/airbags, rotor warpage issues and in the latter, rattles. The funny thing is the 1st gen TL, which was built in Japan, really is the best built TL. No recurring rattles or rotors that warp no matter how many times you turn them and even though you drive like a grandma, and no catastrophic tranny failures.... at least as far as I've read. BUT.... the TSX was built in Japan too and it has rattle issues too.

Hands down the VQ35 (G35 engine) has the one of the best exhaust notes for ANY V6. Even sounds good coming from an FX35. The TL in stock form is more engine note than exhaust note. The new G interior is pretty nice, but the pre-05 interior looks and feels cheap. The seats on the 08 G aren't really aggressive, good, but not aggressive. I've found the TL-S seats hold you a little better, and they're also really good, a little better than the G35.

The TL-S does a very admirable job but like many others I've experienced RWD and I just don't see any reason to go back. Unless you live in a climate where it snows up to a feet for half of the year, FWD doesn't have much of an advantage over RWD. And the G35X has AWD, which trumps FWD when it comes to foul weather anyway.

The IS350 wouldn't even show up on my list due to the lack of a manual transmission. The TL-S and G35S are both great cars, for most people it would really boil down to interior and exterior. To me there's nothing like kicking out the rear with your right foot or steering with it... BUT if the TL-S was RWD and put up the same or most likely even better numbers that would be my first choice hands down. I'd even take it over a 335i sedan.... the coupe is another story but the sedan, sure.

oh and that quoted post with the guy from some forum comparing the G35 and TL is terribly inaccurate. The guy looks like he was an Acura salesman and now is an Infiniti salesman, and thus sounds just like one - he sounds like he has no idea what he's talking about...

When my mom was shopping for her 2G TL-S a salesman told us that the Type-S is supercharged
Old 05-24-2008, 07:23 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Acura FTMFW
Old 05-24-2008, 11:21 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by I Go To Costco
BUT if the TL-S was RWD and put up the same or most likely even better numbers that would be my first choice hands down.
I've been saying that for years Honda knows how to RWD really well. They also know how to make FWD handle really well. Instead of adding all sorts of bandaids to make the FWD TL/TL-S handle really well, why not make a specific Acura RWD chassis that can be shared between the TSX, TL, RL, and any SUVs? Acura is the only premium make that isn't RWD. Sure, they've got a nitch by offering FWD in a RWD luxury market, but if they want to be taken seriously, they need to move over to RWD. The G35 has always been on the heels of the 3 series, but I'm certain Honda could unseat the 3 series if they went with RWD on the TL.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:27 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by iforyou
lol, really? sound? well, i guess..each to his own.

feel, yea, if you like RWD then obviously it's better.
This video of my car from last summer answers that question for me

More low end grunt, that's what you get for having a bigger engine.
The TL-S has a 3.5.

aggressive seats..lol..i'm not too sure..again, each to his own.
The TL/TL-S seats look really nice, but they feel to wide to really keep you in place. The G's don't look as aggressive, but they do a better job of holding you in, IMO.

hmm, suspension-wise, TL has always been all-around double-wishbone, I believe G35 has rear multi-link, which is also good.
My mistake. I thought the Accord/TL went Mc-strut up front when the Civic did a few years back.
Old 05-24-2008, 12:32 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Yea, it would be nice if Acura has a dedicated RWD platform, and I believe that's what they are working on right now, according to all those rumors out there. They have had a lot of success with FWD thus far, but the competitors are improving greatly in the recently years, and RWD/AWD becomes a must if they want to stay in.

Nice video Dave, I think you might also want to put that video in the drag racing tips forum. A picture is worth a thousand words, and a video is worth a thousand pictures. It would be nice if you could also record your footwork for the launch too!

Yea, the TL-S has a 3.5L, and that car doesn't have much problem with low-end torque. It's the 3.2L model that feels less torquey than the G35. In one of Edmunds' test with the Altima V6 6MT vs AV6 6MT, even though the Accord has less claimed torque by 10lbft, the test drivers found that the AV6 feels more torquey. Of course, that's only one comment from one magazine, but I'd imagine the torque shouldn't be a problem in the J35. Besides, for a FWD, you don't want way too much torque anyways.

No problem, the it's sad to see Civic downgraded to mc-strut, but it seems like it doesn't stop the FD2 Type R from being one of the fastest FWD sedans.
Old 05-24-2008, 11:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Xpditor

And interior quality? All you have to do is sit in an Infiniti and experience the cheap, plastic materials--- the same ones you get in an Altima or Maxima--- and then sit in an Acura to see the obvious differences. If you like orange back lighting and silver painted plastic from the '90's, you might like it.
I have the unique perspective of owning an 07 AV6 EX-L and a stripper 05 Altima 3.5SE (the one my son uses). To wit, Dave's comment is dead on:

Originally Posted by Dave_B
I'll admit that the TL has a nicer interior, better "perceived" quality (though TLs rattle pretty dang badly as the miles pile on)
My Accord (<12k) has a visually nicer and more upscale interior to my Altima but, it is also has a rattle or two and conveys road noise very irritably. The Altima seems to have cheaper grade plastics all around but is quieter at highway speeds than a library after closing...and nary a rattle or squeak even with 75k on the odo.

And though I love my Accord's gauge appearance, I have no problem with the Alti's black/orange. Honestly, the only area where I would slam the Altima is with fuel economy.

NOTE: I know the Accord does not exactly have the TL's ergonomics but, it's not that far off.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:29 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Interesting, I think the quality part, it really depends on your luck. I don't have any rattle issue (yet) in my TL (touch wood). And on the Edmunds review, they found that the Altima was missing some screws or something.
Old 05-25-2008, 01:39 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
I'll admit that the TL has a nicer interior, better "perceived" quality (though TLs rattle pretty dang badly as the miles pile on), has a smoother ride, is quieter on the inside, and has a really nice exterior look. The G35 on the otherhand has a soul. It's harsher and a little more raw. It steers better, it has far better handling feel thanks to RWD, it has lot more low rpm grunt, a far better sound, a more aggressive drivers seat, better brakes, a better suspension design (wishbone owns Mc-struts), much better weight balance and lighter supension components. It just depends on what you want and what's important to you.
That's funny when the TL pulls better skidpad, slalom, and braking numbers.
Old 05-25-2008, 03:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by I hate cars
That's funny when the TL pulls better skidpad, slalom, and braking numbers.
Even funnier because this comparo states completely the opposite.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...test_data.html

2004 TL
100-0 braking 372'
60-0 128'
600' slalom mph 64.1
200' g's 0.80
Figure 8 (sec/gs) 27.3@0.65

2004 G35
100-0 braking 320'
60-0 111'
600' slalom mph 65.2
200' g's 0.87
Figure 8 (sec/gs) 26.8@0.66
Old 05-25-2008, 04:16 PM
Team Owner

2004 TL
100-0 braking 372'
60-0 128'
600' slalom mph 64.1
200' g's 0.80

2004 G35
100-0 braking 320'
60-0 111'
600' slalom mph 65.2
200' g's 0.87
How much digging do you do for those numbers? So now we're talking an auto 04 TL with crappy tires. The thread was talking about the "S" version but whatever it takes to make you feel good. I don't really care to argue because even with a magazine article flat out stating that the TL-S is faster around a road course with inferior tires and FWD, you won't believe it.

You can go on and on with your RWD rhetoric and how the G35 is a real sports car. But in the real world, it's thought of as a little bitch. I had one try and race me in the GN and I smiled because I thought it was "cute". Sorry to be blunt but you're not looking far outside of your little world. Does the term "big fish in a small pond" mean anything to you? Honestly, it's closer to a Civic in performance than a real car.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:26 PM
Team Owner

PS. I do like the G35, but some of the owners are too brand loyal.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:00 PM
Suzuka Master

How much digging do you do for those numbers? So now we're talking an auto 04 TL with crappy tires. The thread was talking about the "S" version but whatever it takes to make you feel good. I don't really care to argue because even with a magazine article flat out stating that the TL-S is faster around a road course with inferior tires and FWD, you won't believe it.

You can go on and on with your RWD rhetoric and how the G35 is a real sports car. But in the real world, it's thought of as a little bitch. I had one try and race me in the GN and I smiled because I thought it was "cute". Sorry to be blunt but you're not looking far outside of your little world. Does the term "big fish in a small pond" mean anything to you? Honestly, it's closer to a Civic in performance than a real car.
I guess some people just don't know their car's limits.

And as far as the rattle issue goes, I traded in my '03 Accord EX 4 cyl. with 50k on the odo and I honestly never heard a chirp, squeak, buzz or rattle in the three years I owned it. My '06 TL just hit 44k and there's an ever so slight "buzz" coming from the driver's side armrest.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:10 PM
2016 E350 Sport

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
For is350 drivers:
Numbers are hard to dispute but people only see what they want to see. I can understand why the is350 folks are upset. They paid thousands more for their car and they do not feel that the TL-S should compete at any level with the is350. A fully loaded TL-S is far cheaper than a comparably optioned is350.

For Everyone Else:
I am curious to know how the TL-S with A-Spec pkg would do in this comparison. Tires are lower profile 235/40-18 and the springs and shocks are a little stiffer. Would this hurt or help the track times?

Reality is a B..... :
All I know is that my TL-S is pretty damn flat in turns (ie. very little body roll). While we sit here on discussion forums with "mightier than thou" attitudes the Honda/Acura execs have always known that their cars CAN compete with the RWD competition. The competition being the is350 and G35.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:26 PM
Team Owner

This video of my car from last summer answers that question for me

The TL-S has a 3.5.

The TL/TL-S seats look really nice, but they feel to wide to really keep you in place. The G's don't look as aggressive, but they do a better job of holding you in, IMO.

My mistake. I thought the Accord/TL went Mc-strut up front when the Civic did a few years back.
I'm not sure what that video is supposed to show. Lets see, it leaves 1' of rubber when you powerbrake it for a second and release the brakes? It doesn't hook for crap considering it's a 14 second car. At your power level, it shouldn't even chirp.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:28 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

2004 TL
100-0 braking 372'
60-0 128'
600' slalom mph 64.1
200' g's 0.80

2004 G35
100-0 braking 320'
60-0 111'
600' slalom mph 65.2
200' g's 0.87
As I hate car has pointed out, that's a TL, not TL-S. Even worse, that's the 5AT model, and we all know it comes with crappy tires and no LSD and no dynamic package. In short, TL 5AT is the slowest of all TL's, by a large margin.

Why don't we look at some numbers from Car and Driver for the TL-S?

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...re+page-5.html
C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 5.5 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 13.9 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 25.8 sec
Street start, 5–60 mph: 5.8 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 14.1 sec @ 101 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 150 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 163 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.93 g

VS G35:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...re+page-7.html
C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 5.2 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 13.1 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 23.8 sec
Street start, 5–60 mph: 5.8 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.9 sec @ 103 mph
Top speed (governor limited): 158 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 160 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.87 g

That's the 2nd gen G35, to give you the advantage, by the way. Also, that's the Sport model of G35 because according to the Infiniti web site, to get 6MT, you need the S package or whatever it's called. From those numbers, I'd say the 2nd gen G35 is slightly faster on the straight, and I think we all know that. Braking wise, they are very close. But the skidpad number, the TL-S is significantly better. Before you blame the tires, the G35S comes with RE050, while TL-S comes with RE030 (for $200 more). And according to Bridgestone, RE050 is a higher grade tire than RE050.

And then Keiichi Tsuchiya proved further confirmed which car is faster on a track at Willow Springs. And that topic has been discussed for many times.
Old 05-25-2008, 06:54 PM
Banned

I agree with I hate cars, anx1300c, & iforyou. I appreciate your comments and info.

This October (my Acura lease ends) I was planning to get me an '08 G35 Sport Sedan 6MT but it has a tendency to swing its rear sideways excessively, causing unnecessary drifting. BMW 3 series on the other hand, is more balanced. So me considering the G35 is out the window.... also the wheelbase is too long. Not good. This gives me only two options: '08 Lexus IS350 (w/ Sport package) or '08 Acura TL Type-S 6MT.

I am not hesitated to say that TL Type-S will walk all over the G35 (any G35's regardless of year/generation) in the road course tracks. As shown in videos in the strong curves the Type-S has plenty of oversteer. It is extremely responsive in the turns.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:47 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Manual Transmission
I agree with I hate cars, anx1300c, & iforyou. I appreciate your comments and info.

This October (my Acura lease ends) I was planning to get me an '08 G35 Sport Sedan 6MT but it has a tendency to swing its rear sideways excessively, causing unnecessary drifting. BMW 3 series on the other hand, is more balanced. So me considering the G35 is out the window.... also the wheelbase is too long. Not good. This gives me only two options: '08 Lexus IS350 (w/ Sport package) or '08 Acura TL Type-S 6MT.

I am not hesitated to say that TL Type-S will walk all over the G35 (any G35's regardless of year/generation) in the road course tracks. As shown in videos in the strong curves the Type-S has plenty of oversteer. It is extremely responsive in the turns.

I agree. When I raced my friend's IS350 around the course, I had no problem with lift throttle oversteer. The IS actually understeered worse than my base auto TL. Throttle was an absolute necessity to balance it out. If the 350 were FWD, it wouldn't even be a contender. On equal tires (my 255 G-forces), there was absolutely no comparison. I could brake much, much later and carry a ton more speed into corners. I didn't want to do any passes for fear of bumping each other so I gave him a full 5 second head start. By the third corner I could've rear ended him.

Instead of making fun of and critisizing the TL for being FWD, IS and G35 owners should be counting their blessings that it's not RWD.

The other point that was brought up is base TL should be compared to the IS250, TL-S to the 350, and an A-spec car to the IS-F. The mags aren't even comparing the best handling and stopping TL.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:10 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I think the IS250 competes with TSX while IS-F is....more like a M3 competitor right?
Old 05-25-2008, 08:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Manual Transmission

I like TL's, but I'd probably lean toward the Lexus. It does cost a lot more green, comparably equipped, but it's also a solid mid 13 second car, right off the showroom floor. I also think it has a higher quality interior and slightly better fit and finish than the Acura. I'd have to drive both of them to know for sure.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:25 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

I think each of these cars simply appeal to different groups of people.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:56 PM
I have dead hookers in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think each of these cars simply appeal to different groups of people.
^^^^^^I am with this guy. If you want a G35/37 then buy one. If you want one of the many nice vehicles Acura offers then buy one. Who cares which is faster as long as you enjoy what you drive.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:06 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ArTL-S
^^^^^^I am with this guy. If you want a G35/37 then buy one. If you want one of the many nice vehicles Acura offers then buy one. Who cares which is faster as long as you enjoy what you drive.
In this segment, I would say quite a few people. These are "sport" sedans after all.
Old 05-26-2008, 12:50 AM
Burning Brakes

I'm not sure what that video is supposed to show. Lets see, it leaves 1' of rubber when you powerbrake it for a second and release the brakes? It doesn't hook for crap considering it's a 14 second car. At your power level, it shouldn't even chirp.
If you read the post, you'd know that the reason I posted the video was because of the sound of the VQ and the fun of RWD (ie a little slide on the launch) and also in a little good fun. The launch is simply a quick flash stall (less than 1 second on the brake/gas). BTW, watch the video again, that's not 1' of rubber. It's about 20' (look at the pavement). That's with an open diff too. That video was shot in 95 degree weather and in cooler weather, the car will leave quite a bit more rubber through 1st. As for hooking up, my 94 Z28 with a better hooking live axle would leave a sh!t ton more rubber through 1st. Both cars at the strip hook up just fine though (barely a chirp off the line). I'm sure your dad's GN is the same way if you take off the drag rubber.

I'm unsure what the statement "At your power level, it shouldn't even chirp." means. My 106hp 90 CRX Si would roast them through 1st, spin hard into 2nd, and chirp 3rd and that car ran 15.8s@88mph. Spinning the tires has nothing to do with speed or power. BTW, my G has 228whp/220wtq and yes, it's just a 14 second car. It's a fun car though.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:00 AM
Burning Brakes

PS. I do like the G35, but some of the owners are too brand loyal.
And TL owners or any other automotive group aren't If I had the money, an E46 M3, 335i, AMG C63, 06 Z06, or a 911 GT3 would be sitting in my garage. Do you see G35 or GT-R in that list? I'm far from brand loyal.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:28 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

He just said some owners, he didn't it's you...
Old 05-26-2008, 02:32 AM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Also, you might not be brand loyal to Nissan/Infiniti, but you sure makes it sound like you hate Acura/Honda, or the TL at least. I don't know about the others, but that's how I feel, even though it's been proven for many times that the TL and G35 do compete well with each other, ie, neither one would beat the other by a large margin in terms of performance, handling, luxury, or value. Magazines confirm that too, with TL sometimes beating the G35, while sometimes the TL would lose.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Also, you might not be brand loyal to Nissan/Infiniti, but you sure makes it sound like you hate Acura/Honda, or the TL at least. I don't know about the others, but that's how I feel, even though it's been proven for many times that the TL and G35 do compete well with each other, ie, neither one would beat the other by a large margin in terms of performance, handling, luxury, or value. Magazines confirm that too, with TL sometimes beating the G35, while sometimes the TL would lose.
MODERATOR'S NOTE: Don't fall into the same paranoia trap as Manual Transmission. Be it cars, sports or politics, internet forums are all about point-counterpoint.

Back on topic, both the E90 and G35 are clearly the two dominant alphas on fighting position on a mountain that happens to include a very capable IS and TL.

Quick Reply: TL-S Beats IS350 & G35 @ the Track