Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL Review in NY Times Sunday

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 07:13 PM
Team SSM Queen

Received 146 Likes on 75 Posts
TL Review in NY Times Sunday

Sorry if someone already posted this - I've been away a few days and checked the posts but I don't see it anywhere. Mod: Add this one to our sticky please!

March 21, 2004
BEHIND THE WHEEL
2004 Acura TL: Those German Lessons Are Paying Off
By MICHELLE KREBS

DETROIT

WHEN I first encountered the redesigned 2004 Acura TL, it was like being reintroduced to an old friend. No, not to the 2000-model Acura 3.2 TL that resides in my garage - a car that suddenly looked and felt dowdy by comparison - but to a red-blooded German sport sedan like the Audi A4.

This third generation of the midsize Acura, introduced last fall, resembles a modern German automobile more than it looks like my own beloved but aging TL, or like the original TL of 1995.

Acura officials attribute the exterior design to the Bauhaus aesthetic of form following function. To me, it looks like a knockoff of Audi, at least in its squared-off back end and short deck lid, though Acura retained the TL's slim, slanted headlamps and chevron-shape grille. The crisp styling gives the sedan an athletic appearance intended to appeal more to men; in contrast, Acura officials say, women favored the sweeping, softer lines of the previous model.

The new car is two inches wider but four inches shorter. The trunk is about two cubic feet smaller.

The interior of the five-passenger TL has been designed and put together with exquisite attention to detail. The gaps between panels are sliver-thin. Materials look and feel rich, from the covering of the dash to the seat upholstery. The leather on the seats and doors is much softer than that in my old TL, and it is pulled taut, in contrast to the loose-fitting upholstery in my own car. This, too, says Audi to me.

At night, the light-emitting displays on the instrument panel cast a blue glow, à la Volkswagen.

Acura officials seem pleased by comparisons with Audi and its sibling brand, VW, which have some of the best interiors in the business. Acura engineers and designers, in fact, used German cars as their benchmarks, from the exterior design to interior craftsmanship to features like cup holders. However, Acura benchmarked not the similarly priced Audi A4, but the more expensive A6, and not the BMW 3 Series, but the larger 5 Series. They also took a careful look at a head-on competitor, the Lexus ES.

The goal for the TL is bigger than just one car. Having lost its focus in recent years, Acura is seeking to reclaim its original niche, selling cars that emphasize performance and technology as much as luxury.

Established by Honda in 1986, Acura was the first luxury subbrand of a Japanese automaker, and it was an instant success. With a separate dealer network, Acura sold upscale versions of Hondas, starting with the compact Integra and the midsize Legend. Other models, including the TL, the exotic NSX sports car and the MDX sport utility, came later.

So, too, did luxury brands from Toyota (Lexus) and Nissan (Infiniti). Despite its value for the dollar and outstanding quality, Acura fell behind Lexus in its model selection, customer service and sales volume. Nor has Acura established the sort of reputation among enthusiasts that BMW and Audi enjoy. And now Acura faces increased competition, especially in the TL's midsize entry-luxury segment, from Infiniti with its G35 and Cadillac with its CTS.

Acura edged into its new direction with the Type S version of its previous 3.2 TL, which had a more powerful engine and a sporty suspension. For the 2004 TL, Acura uses the Type S as its basis, but drops that model designation. It also omits the "3.2" from the name even though the engine is still a 3.2-liter V-6.

The updated engine is rated at 270 horsepower, a gain of 45 from the previous base model and 10 from the Type S. Torque has also increased, to 238 pounds-feet.

The gain in power puts the TL well ahead of its competitors. In testing by Motor Trend magazine, the Acura accelerated to 60 miles an hour in 6.1 seconds, an advantage of a second or two. Yet the new TL delivers reasonable fuel economy - up to 30 m.p.g. on the highway - and is classified as an ultra-low-emissions vehicle.

Two transmissions are offered for the same price, a five-speed automatic that can be shifted manually or a short-ratio six-speed manual that lets you run effortlessly and accurately through the gears.

The TL has one shortcoming, however, a consequence of sending so much power through the front, driving wheels. It suffers from severe torque steer, with the front wheels pulling to one side or the other under hard acceleration. Engineers tried to reduce the problem on stick-shift cars by installing a limited-slip differential to modulate the power between the left and right wheels.

Living in the Snow Belt, I prefer front drive to rear drive in the winter. But two tests of the TL convinced me that Honda has reached the limit of how much power can be smoothly channeled to the front wheels.

I also found the steering twitchy. Keeping the car on course on curves required constant tiny adjustments.

The new TL uses suspension underpinnings from the previous Type S. The ride is firm but comfortable and extremely quiet. The brakes come from a famous supplier, Brembo, and stop the car with confidence.

The TL also tries to re-establish Acura as a leader in technology, with what the company says is the first North American application of a standard DVD-A 5.1 audio system. The 225-watt, eight-speaker surround-sound system (with a six-CD changer and XM satellite radio) was developed with Elliot Scheiner, the Grammy-winning music producer who has worked with artists from Sting to Pavarotti. Acura even used acoustic glass for the windshield.

The TL also comes with a hands-free wireless phone connection using Bluetooth technology. Voice recognition lets you operate the audio, navigation and cruise control with spoken commands. A power moonroof, larger than before, is standard. High-tech L.E.D. lighting is used extensively inside and out.

For increased safety, Acura added side-curtain air bags to protect front and rear passengers. Other safety features include antilock brakes, a panic braking aid, traction and stability controls.

The TL even has pedestrian impact protection; the hood and front fenders are designed to deform if the car strikes someone, cushioning the blow.

With the new TL, Acura continues the keep-it-simple pricing formula that attracted me to an Acura four years ago. The new model starts at $33,195; the chief options are a $2,000 navigation system and $200 high-performance tires. In contrast, options can bump up the price of a Lexus ES 330 by $6,000.

A competitive, easy-to-understand price is just one of the TL's many attributes, which include the handsome, sporty styling; the inviting cabin; the long list of features; the power combined with efficiency.

But as rewarding as this Acura is, its performance comes up a bit short of the best rear-drive German sedans. Perhaps the time has come for Acura to switch to a rear-drive or all-wheel-drive configuration. The new and improved TL is now about as good as a front-drive car can be.
copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
--------------
FYI I printed it out because you need to subscribe to the Times' website to read stories online.

The article featured a photo of an SSM TL.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:43 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: TL Review in NY Times Sunday

Originally posted by narnia
Sorry if someone already posted this - I've been away a few days and checked the posts but I don't see it anywhere. Mod: Add this one to our sticky please!

March 21, 2004
BEHIND THE WHEEL
By MICHELLE KREBS

DETROIT

WHEN I first encountered the redesigned 2004 Acura TL, it was like being reintroduced to an old friend. No, not to the 2000-model Acura 3.2 TL that resides in my garage - a car that suddenly looked and felt dowdy by comparison - but to a red-blooded German sport sedan like the Audi A4.

This third generation of the midsize Acura, introduced last fall, resembles a modern German automobile more than it looks like my own beloved but aging TL, or like the original TL of 1995.

Acura officials attribute the exterior design to the Bauhaus aesthetic of form following function. To me, it looks like a knockoff of Audi, at least in its squared-off back end and short deck lid, though Acura retained the TL's slim, slanted headlamps and chevron-shape grille. The crisp styling gives the sedan an athletic appearance intended to appeal more to men; in contrast, Acura officials say, women favored the sweeping, softer lines of the previous model.

The new car is two inches wider but four inches shorter. The trunk is about two cubic feet smaller.

The interior of the five-passenger TL has been designed and put together with exquisite attention to detail. The gaps between panels are sliver-thin. Materials look and feel rich, from the covering of the dash to the seat upholstery. The leather on the seats and doors is much softer than that in my old TL, and it is pulled taut, in contrast to the loose-fitting upholstery in my own car. This, too, says Audi to me.

At night, the light-emitting displays on the instrument panel cast a blue glow, à la Volkswagen.

Acura officials seem pleased by comparisons with Audi and its sibling brand, VW, which have some of the best interiors in the business. Acura engineers and designers, in fact, used German cars as their benchmarks, from the exterior design to interior craftsmanship to features like cup holders. However, Acura benchmarked not the similarly priced Audi A4, but the more expensive A6, and not the BMW 3 Series, but the larger 5 Series. They also took a careful look at a head-on competitor, the Lexus ES.

The goal for the TL is bigger than just one car. Having lost its focus in recent years, Acura is seeking to reclaim its original niche, selling cars that emphasize performance and technology as much as luxury.

Established by Honda in 1986, Acura was the first luxury subbrand of a Japanese automaker, and it was an instant success. With a separate dealer network, Acura sold upscale versions of Hondas, starting with the compact Integra and the midsize Legend. Other models, including the TL, the exotic NSX sports car and the MDX sport utility, came later.

So, too, did luxury brands from Toyota (Lexus) and Nissan (Infiniti). Despite its value for the dollar and outstanding quality, Acura fell behind Lexus in its model selection, customer service and sales volume. Nor has Acura established the sort of reputation among enthusiasts that BMW and Audi enjoy. And now Acura faces increased competition, especially in the TL's midsize entry-luxury segment, from Infiniti with its G35 and Cadillac with its CTS.

Acura edged into its new direction with the Type S version of its previous 3.2 TL, which had a more powerful engine and a sporty suspension. For the 2004 TL, Acura uses the Type S as its basis, but drops that model designation. It also omits the "3.2" from the name even though the engine is still a 3.2-liter V-6.

The updated engine is rated at 270 horsepower, a gain of 45 from the previous base model and 10 from the Type S. Torque has also increased, to 238 pounds-feet.

The gain in power puts the TL well ahead of its competitors. In testing by Motor Trend magazine, the Acura accelerated to 60 miles an hour in 6.1 seconds, an advantage of a second or two. Yet the new TL delivers reasonable fuel economy - up to 30 m.p.g. on the highway - and is classified as an ultra-low-emissions vehicle.

Two transmissions are offered for the same price, a five-speed automatic that can be shifted manually or a short-ratio six-speed manual that lets you run effortlessly and accurately through the gears.

The TL has one shortcoming, however, a consequence of sending so much power through the front, driving wheels. It suffers from severe torque steer, with the front wheels pulling to one side or the other under hard acceleration. Engineers tried to reduce the problem on stick-shift cars by installing a limited-slip differential to modulate the power between the left and right wheels.

Living in the Snow Belt, I prefer front drive to rear drive in the winter. But two tests of the TL convinced me that Honda has reached the limit of how much power can be smoothly channeled to the front wheels.

I also found the steering twitchy. Keeping the car on course on curves required constant tiny adjustments.

The new TL uses suspension underpinnings from the previous Type S. The ride is firm but comfortable and extremely quiet. The brakes come from a famous supplier, Brembo, and stop the car with confidence.

The TL also tries to re-establish Acura as a leader in technology, with what the company says is the first North American application of a standard DVD-A 5.1 audio system. The 225-watt, eight-speaker surround-sound system (with a six-CD changer and XM satellite radio) was developed with Elliot Scheiner, the Grammy-winning music producer who has worked with artists from Sting to Pavarotti. Acura even used acoustic glass for the windshield.

The TL also comes with a hands-free wireless phone connection using Bluetooth technology. Voice recognition lets you operate the audio, navigation and cruise control with spoken commands. A power moonroof, larger than before, is standard. High-tech L.E.D. lighting is used extensively inside and out.

For increased safety, Acura added side-curtain air bags to protect front and rear passengers. Other safety features include antilock brakes, a panic braking aid, traction and stability controls.

The TL even has pedestrian impact protection; the hood and front fenders are designed to deform if the car strikes someone, cushioning the blow.

With the new TL, Acura continues the keep-it-simple pricing formula that attracted me to an Acura four years ago. The new model starts at $33,195; the chief options are a $2,000 navigation system and $200 high-performance tires. In contrast, options can bump up the price of a Lexus ES 330 by $6,000.

A competitive, easy-to-understand price is just one of the TL's many attributes, which include the handsome, sporty styling; the inviting cabin; the long list of features; the power combined with efficiency.

But as rewarding as this Acura is, its performance comes up a bit short of the best rear-drive German sedans. Perhaps the time has come for Acura to switch to a rear-drive or all-wheel-drive configuration. The new and improved TL is now about as good as a front-drive car can be.
copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
--------------
FYI I printed it out because you need to subscribe to the Times' website to read stories online.

The article featured a photo of an SSM TL.
Interesting review, especially from a current owner of the last gen TL.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:37 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. What a unique perspective.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:50 PM
Andrenaline Junkie

This statement made me raise an eyebrow as I had never read this before. I wonder how the insurance institute could have missed this and perhaps this contributes to the TL's less than stellar performance in the bumper bash test.
Old 02-14-2005, 09:17 AM
Racer

Excellent review. I agree that Acura needs to go to AWD, which is what they're planning to do. The current TL is great, but even on an automatic, you can feel the torque steer.
Old 02-14-2005, 10:00 AM
2005 SSM/EB/5AT/Navi

Originally Posted by HondaOnly
I agree that Acura needs to go to AWD, which is what they're planning to do.

FYI..... they already did
2005 RL
Old 02-14-2005, 10:21 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by FugittiveTLS`03
2005 RL
Thanks. I already knew that. I was referring to the TL.
Old 02-14-2005, 11:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
but

Originally Posted by FugittiveTLS`03
2005 RL

At a 50K price tag. That price is not really targeting the masses....
Old 02-14-2005, 11:39 AM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
talk about reviving an old thread.....
Old 02-14-2005, 07:11 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by narnia

DETROIT

The interior of the five-passenger TL has been designed and put together with exquisite attention to detail. The gaps between panels are sliver-thin.

wait sliver thin??? I dont know about the rest of you but I seem to remember quite a few of us complaining about the gaps between the dash and the driver side door and how uneven the glove box can sit. I know its just a nit picky complaint...maybe his car doesnt have the same problems mine does.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:41 AM
Advanced

March 21, 2004
BEHIND THE WHEEL
By MICHELLE KREBS

DETROIT

I know this review is a little old, but I don't think Ms. Krebs reads many auto enthusiast magazines. Granted, the exterior of the 3G TL does have some German cues, the first time I laid eyes on one at the Chicago Auto Show was a big moment for me. I wasn't even considering an Acura at the time. I wanted a used Audi S4. Sadly, like the Subaru WRX and your high school's class slut, I couldn't find one that hadn't been driven into the ground by it's owner/boyfriends.

When I saw the TL, my first thought was, "boy, that looks a lot like an Alfa." And I meant it in a good way. Alfa Romeos are gorgeous cars. Case in point: http://www.alfa159.co.uk/indexFlash.htm They just don't hold up very well in the long term. And you can't buy one here even if you wanted to.

My next thought was, "Hey, they only want 34 grand for this thing!" For the price I was willing to pay for a used Audi, I could get a brand new car with a warranty!

I especially liked Ms. Krebs' remark about how women like the sweeping, softer lines. Not looking to get flamed by the proud owners of any first or second gen TLs, but I was never atttracted to that particular body style. It looked too much like my mom's car. Those Ron Jon kits do an amazing job of changing the entire personality of the 2G TLs , but wasn't looking to spend extra cash to make the car into what I want.

I think Road & Track said it best. The older TL's are like British Q ships. Q ships were fishing trawlers fitted with torpedoes and loaded to the gunnels with cork. The Q Ships would shadow WWII convoys in the north sea and if the U-Boats attacked, they usually surfaced to finish the job. Then the Q-ship would get 'em on the surface. Basic point being that the TL is the last car on the highway that you would suspect could blow your doors off. Lots of go with not much show.

BMW and Audi are much better at this kind of subtlety, perhaps because we equate them with performance cars. Hopefully the new 3G TL and RL will push that perfomance identity with the Acura brand name.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:47 AM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
my favorite TL review is C&D (or R&T)'s comment about the ebrake...ice breaker on the first date....so true

and i think the paint is better on the 2nd gen
Old 01-28-2006, 03:01 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
The TL looks like a knockoff of Audi? What's the writer of that article been smoking?
Old 04-10-2006, 05:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by subinf
wait sliver thin??? I dont know about the rest of you but I seem to remember quite a few of us complaining about the gaps between the dash and the driver side door and how uneven the glove box can sit. I know its just a nit picky complaint...maybe his car doesnt have the same problems mine does.
yes, you are correct. the gaps on the driver's side and passenger side is not the same. even the alignment of the trunk to the rear fender is somewhat to be desired. i saw quite a few at a dealer that looked pretty bad.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mickey3c
At a 50K price tag. That price is not really targeting the masses....
Well, I know it's 2008, but with a bit of arrogance and maybe being a bit vulgar, sometimes it's good that a car is priced the way it is or that it caters to a small niche. The only reason I say that is at least you don't see one every day like say a Civic. Although perhaps the only vehicle I can stand to say on a regular basis are the current Ford F150s, although I'm a Honda/Acura fan. Besides, with a high asking price, do you really want to see mass/volume production and every Tom, Dick and Jane Doe having your car (be it a TL or RL or even RSX)?
Old 06-23-2008, 01:10 PM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
why man? why?
Old 06-23-2008, 01:28 PM
zaino'd

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Damn, OLD thread!
Old 06-23-2008, 01:29 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn - beat me to it.

OK.. The TL's are by no means elite. I see at least 3 or 4 everyday on my way to work. And from what I can tell, it's not the same one.

And secondly - why in the hell did you feel so obligated to quote someone from 3 years ago? Let it go man - let it go.

(I think threads without activity for like 6 months should be automagically locked if you ask me..... but that's just me and nobody has asked yet)
Old 06-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
Performance/DIY....useful threads, should not be locked....

Threads like this...lock 'em up.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post