Sponsored by:

TL quality vs. ML 350

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 09:03 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry TL quality vs. ML 350

Hi,

I have TL (Navi 2004) with lots of rattles...
Just had a chance to drive ML 350 2003 from Mountain Creek (NJ). I am a skier and I went there with my friend. So I was driving ML back to NY.
What I can say:
ML has ZERO (0) rattles on any type of road. It was amazing to drive a car and be relaxed. Because when I drive TL (not only mine, I tried few other too) I always hear some rattle(s) . It is even hard to tell where these are caming from inside TL.
ML quality of material, labor is much better that TL.
By the way ML which I drove costs $37500 (before tax)
Do not reply with something like "Get rid of TL and buy ML"
I got TL because I knew that Acura is luxury brand of Honda. It has its own strong side, but quality of cabin (not design) just sucks...
Old 02-19-2006, 09:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is an ml350?
if its a German car, look at the reliability ratings.
German cars, and others, have very good steel and leather, paint,
some have very nice real wood trim, etc.
Where they fall down is in electrical and mechanical reliability.

Most if not all the German cars are well below the TL in reliability.
2004 was not the best year for the TL, first year of any car is risky.

Brett
Old 02-19-2006, 09:24 PM
Military Enforcer

merc SUV....
Old 02-19-2006, 09:27 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've a TL with no rattle for last 2+ years. Bought Dec 03. I think if you'll try you will find ML with rattle. Rattles are in every car make and brand.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:31 PM
6MT & LSD

Ok, cool. Thanks for that vital piece of info. I'm sure people will now go for the ML instead of the TL - seeing how they're in totally different categories/classes, it makes perfect sense. Kind of like your English.

If I were a mod, I'd lock this thread and ban you.
Old 02-19-2006, 10:41 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ndx2
Ok, cool. Thanks for that vital piece of info. I'm sure people will now go for the ML instead of the TL - seeing how they're in totally different categories/classes, it makes perfect sense. Kind of like your English.

dude, you always crack me up

Old 02-19-2006, 10:49 PM
Racer

First try to ban yourself...
Second : If TL is in diferent class does it mean it must have rattles?

Now to my English:
English is not my native language. That is a fact.
However I can speak / read/ write four other languages.
How many languages do you know?
Old 02-19-2006, 10:59 PM
6MT & LSD

Originally Posted by oppnyc
First try to ban yourself...
Second : If TL is in diferent class does it mean it must have rattles?

Now to my English:
English is not my native language. That is a fact.
However I can speak / read/ write four other languages.
How many languages do you know?
First, no thanks.
Second, you're missing the point. I highly doubt that anyone here considered getting an ML350 (an '03, mind you) while shopping for a TL. ML is a compact (possibly midsize) SUV and at that price you mentioned, it probably had jackshit for options.

The TL is a entry-lux sport sedan. Who the hell cross-shops a TL with an ML?

Now, onto your English.
English is my second language. I seem to do just fine. And I'm ok in Spanish (far better than your English) and currently learning German. Oh, and I was born in Korea so I'm fluent in Korean as well.

Besides, I wasn't really attacking your English. I was just making an analogy - I admit I was being a dick, but seriously, how many times do we have to hear about the damn rattles from you? I was just trying to make a point, even if I had to get a little personal.

But you obviously missed that and rushed to defend yourself.

Anyway, You even started a thread titled something like "50k Lexus GS does have dash rattles." SWEET! Now I can go around talking shit to Lexus GS owners because I don't have any rattles in my TL!

It's pointless.

:sigh:
Old 02-19-2006, 11:08 PM
Yes, he did that

Let's hope this goes the distance.

I agree with the futility of comparing a German SUV, with a Japanese Entry-Level Luxury Sports Sedan.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:34 PM
Advanced

hahaha.....ML 350 more reliable than a TL...you must be joking. I guess you don't now much about reliability of vehicles....Why don't you look at this consumer reports chart on the Mercedes ML:

Old 02-19-2006, 11:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

opp, you should look into trading in your TL for an ML if your so unhappy with your TL....

How bout starting a thread "Hey I need Help with My Rattle problem" instead of complaining how you jock another car
Old 02-20-2006, 12:08 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Lister00169

Let's hope this goes the distance.

I agree with the futility of comparing a German SUV, with a Japanese Entry-Level Luxury Sports Sedan.
Both vehicles are built in US. So no German quality here.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:13 AM
CSI
Instructor

First, no thanks.
Second, you're missing the point. I highly doubt that anyone here considered getting an ML350 (an '03, mind you) while shopping for a TL. ML is a compact (possibly midsize) SUV and at that price you mentioned, it probably had jackshit for options.

The TL is a entry-lux sport sedan. Who the hell cross-shops a TL with an ML?

Now, onto your English.
English is my second language. I seem to do just fine. And I'm ok in Spanish (far better than your English) and currently learning German. Oh, and I was born in Korea so I'm fluent in Korean as well.

Besides, I wasn't really attacking your English. I was just making an analogy - I admit I was being a dick, but seriously, how many times do we have to hear about the damn rattles from you? I was just trying to make a point, even if I had to get a little personal.

But you obviously missed that and rushed to defend yourself.

Anyway, You even started a thread titled something like "50k Lexus GS does have dash rattles." SWEET! Now I can go around talking shit to Lexus GS owners because I don't have any rattles in my TL!

It's pointless.

:sigh:
Maybe I know u, R u Jay?
Old 02-20-2006, 12:20 AM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
But....But...But you just don't understand.
This is a hugh POS but it doesn't rattle. Also, by 03 MB had more than a few years to make it silently unreliable.

FWIW...neither my 02 MDX or my 05 TL have rattles; both also have the CU Seal of Approval And...And...And the MDX has had a $10K accident.

Originally Posted by frank69m
hahaha.....ML 350 more reliable than a TL...you must be joking. I guess you don't now much about reliability of vehicles....Why don't you look at this consumer reports chart on the Mercedes ML:

Old 02-20-2006, 12:25 AM
6MT & LSD

Originally Posted by SergeyM
Both vehicles are built in US. So no German quality here.
I don't think anyone's questioning the "quality" of German cars - just their miserable reliability.

Just outta curiosity, why are you on this board? I know you drive a bimmer and are a bimmer fan, but do/did you have an Acura? You certainly don't sound like you're here because you like Acuras...
Old 02-20-2006, 12:27 AM
6MT & LSD

Originally Posted by CSI
Maybe I know u, R u Jay?
"Does he owe you money or know your wife?"

I just randomly remembered that line...

Anyway, . Good luck on your search, though.
Old 02-20-2006, 12:56 AM
Safety Car

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
my brother has 06 honda accord.. has rattles too.. I used to own 00 Camry. no rattles.. my parents own 06 sienna and no rattels either.. maybe it's a honda thing to distinguish themselves.. =) ok you can shoot me now haha
Old 02-20-2006, 01:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 708 Likes on 325 Posts
I'm surprised no car company has moved to capitalize on this great marketing opportunity by actually naming their rattle-prone model the "Rattler".

"I'm sorry, sir? You say your car rattles? It's supposed to do that, don't ya know? That's why we named it what we named it!"
Old 02-20-2006, 07:25 AM
05WDP Midlife crisis

My Monday morning rant

I still can't help but wonder in amazement.

Why someone has to complain about their car, seem to be so unhappy, and continue to own it. Do you lease the car, did you win it in a drawing, or inherit it, part of the witness relocation program????

Sell it and buy something that makes you happy! Do a Google under cars that don't rattle. I can understand posting "my car has some annoying rattles, are they common, how can I fix them?", return it to the dealer, let them fix it.

It just seems like some people troll around looking to bait people, or is it that they are never happy to begin with?

I am not saying post only the positve here. Everyone needs a chance to vent (including me), and I know that without these type of postings we wouldn't indentify common problems. I'm just not sure what some people are looking for. Someone to agree with you, want permission to sell, or just some validation, or group hug?
Old 02-20-2006, 08:12 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by joed40
I still can't help but wonder in amazement.

Why someone has to complain about their car, seem to be so unhappy, and continue to own it. Do you lease the car, did you win it in a drawing, or inherit it, part of the witness relocation program????

Sell it and buy something that makes you happy! Do a Google under cars that don't rattle. I can understand posting "my car has some annoying rattles, are they common, how can I fix them?", return it to the dealer, let them fix it.

It just seems like some people troll around looking to bait people, or is it that they are never happy to begin with?

I am not saying post only the positve here. Everyone needs a chance to vent (including me), and I know that without these type of postings we wouldn't indentify common problems. I'm just not sure what some people are looking for. Someone to agree with you, want permission to sell, or just some validation, or group hug?
I'm not sure if you know this, but it costs money to get out of a car and into something else.

I would be willing to bet that a good portion of 30k+ automobile owners stretched their limits to get into what they're driving. They dont have the luxury of ditching their car for something else, and more importantly shouldnt have to.

What is the purpose of having a forum dedicated to a specific car if the continual issues can not be openly addressed?

(yes I realize there is a problems section that gets zero attention)
Old 02-20-2006, 08:40 AM
iLL TL 4U2Try

ndx murdered op lmao

Old 02-20-2006, 09:03 AM
Aaaarrrggghhhh!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FightingTL
I'm not sure if you know this, but it costs money to get out of a car and into something else.

I would be willing to bet that a good portion of 30k+ automobile owners stretched their limits to get into what they're driving. They dont have the luxury of ditching their car for something else, and more importantly shouldnt have to.

What is the purpose of having a forum dedicated to a specific car if the continual issues can not be openly addressed?

(yes I realize there is a problems section that gets zero attention)
I'm sure most of the people on this site understand what you're saying, but you need to take a look at the post history of people like oppnyc and gainful who have started a whole boatload of threads on the exact same issues.

Because a few select people feel the need to start thread after thread after thread on the same damn issue, the rest of us grow callous towards their input after awhile.

Most of the people on this site are NOT TL cheerleaders, but ARE sick of hearing the same few people bitch about the exact same issues over and over.

If one TL owner has an issue and posts 15 times about the same issue, it does not mean there are 15 issues.. If you look at the post history of some of these "habitually negative posters", you will see that they just keep re-hashing the same crap over and over.

Anyone is allowed to post their issues with their TL here... but there is a big difference between those who are helpful and those who just want to use Acurazine as a place to constantly bitch.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Scribesoft
I'm sure most of the people on this site understand what you're saying, but you need to take a look at the post history of people like oppnyc and gainful who have started a whole boatload of threads on the exact same issues.

Because a few select people feel the need to start thread after thread after thread on the same damn issue, the rest of us grow callous towards their input after awhile.

Most of the people on this site are NOT TL cheerleaders, but ARE sick of hearing the same few people bitch about the exact same issues over and over.

If one TL owner has an issue and posts 15 times about the same issue, it does not mean there are 15 issues.. If you look at the post history of some of these "habitually negative posters", you will see that they just keep re-hashing the same crap over and over.

Anyone is allowed to post their issues with their TL here... but there is a big difference between those who are helpful and those who just want to use Acurazine as a place to constantly bitch.

You're absolutely right, it should be left to a single thread, not a bunch of bs that floods the site.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:12 AM
05WDP Midlife crisis

Agreed. I'm aware of buy outs, depreciation, etc. I am also aware of rattles, squeaks, FWD draw backs, mismatched paints,and so on. Why I'm aware of these things is that I read all the forums, did my research, and knew just what I was buying.

What I think is comical is, that if someone goes as far as to purchase a TL, stretch their budget to the limit, they would research this purchase to the max, and that includes reading all the forums as I did. It's simple, the knowledge is as far away as your fingertips. So I will say it again. I will never say all that should be posted here should be positive, as I mentioned in my earlier post, this would not be helpful what so ever.

What I am saying is if the folks who continuously keep bringing up the same rattle or other problem, would have spent a fraction of that time they spent bitching and berating doing some research on this one forum, they would have had a much more informed purchase.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:23 AM
Instructor

Funny how people posting about rattles always get flamed. I've had my TL for just over a year and it currently has 12200 miles on it. Thankfully, I haven't had any rattles.

I owned a 2000 Honda Accord prior to the TL. The Accord rattled all the time. It is the most annoying thing ever. I took it to dealerships all the time under warranty to get them fixed and they never went away. I just learned to turn up the radio to try and drown the sound of the rattles out.

My wife's uncle had the same model Accord. His Accord rattled so much that he finally traded out, taking a loss on it in the process.

After coming to this site and reading the comments regarding the rattles, I have to believe that it is a flaw with the Honda brand that they really need to correct. It's hard to imagine how annoying the rattles are unless you have heard them. We're not talking about some minor noises that can be expected during normal driving of a cheap car. We're talking a nice quiet ride with a constant pecking noise that is next to impossible to ignore. Imagine sitting in a quiet room full of people and one person is tapping their pen on the desk. That is what these rattles are like.

I'm thankful that my TL doesn't have these rattles that everyone complains about and I'm glad for everyone else who owns a TL that doesn't rattle. However, I know how frustrating the rattles can be and I sympathize with everyone that has a car that rattles.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:26 PM
2nd Gear

If you can't afford to get a different car...turn up the stereo ... oops our stereo's are poor too (if I believe the threads).
Old 02-20-2006, 01:26 PM
2nd Gear

If you can't afford to get a different car...turn up the stereo ... oops our stereo's are poor too (if I believe the threads).
Old 02-20-2006, 04:42 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I tend to think we fill up the forum by people complaining about complainers more so than the complainers complaining.................

Just move on to the next thread.. Let the Mod's move it etc... Better than the 2-15 pages of keyboard urinary Olympics we usually end up with....