Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL Owners with 20% Tint in NYC area

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 01:05 AM
Yanks in '08!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TL Owners with 20% Tint in NYC area

Any problems with Police Officers? I know Staten Island is the worst place to be with tinted windows. I'm not too worried about the day time but how dark does it look at night? I can pretty much look at my sister's car windows to get an idea but since the TL comes with factory tinted windows (her car doesn't) I want to know if it makes the shade darker. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:11 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
TL's tinted windows are only 75% (Heat-rejecting green-tinted-like glass).

I have 30/20, and have no problem for my eyes at night.

BTW, why is SI the worse place to be with tinted windows? Thanks.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:42 AM
Shift_faster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alextclam
Any problems with Police Officers? I know Staten Island is the worst place to be with tinted windows. I'm not too worried about the day time but how dark does it look at night? I can pretty much look at my sister's car windows to get an idea but since the TL comes with factory tinted windows (her car doesn't) I want to know if it makes the shade darker. Thanks.
I currently have 35's all around. I used to have 20%'s on my Altima. It was dark at night, but I liked it. In Queens/LI police don't really hassle you about it unless there are other reasons to pull you over. It is still noticeable at night, but in three years with that car, I've never been pulled over for my tinting.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:14 AM
Yanks in '08!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the input.

rets - I've had VERY bad experiences in SI. My mom lives there and when I used to drive there with my previous car (5% all around) the cops pulled me over constantly. Every other borough was not a problem. The SI cops gave me a ticket for all 5 windows even though the rear passenger and windshield are legally allowed to be as dark as you want. Just last week a customer of my father's restaurant got pulled over right after the Verrazano's toll plaza and they gave him a ticket.

I just wanted to make sure 20% with the factory tint and my black interior wouldn't make it just as dark as 5% during the night.

But I think it also depends on other factors when cops pull you over. My father's car is 20% all around but he's in his 50's and drives an Altima. He told me once a marked police car was following him for a good mile or so until he rolled down his window and they saw him. After that, they passed him and got off the next exit.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:31 AM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it is raining, it is hard to see inside the car... even u got very light tint...

I was almost cought by a cop few days ago... i didn't speeding...

so I think the reason why that cop made a U-turn and came to me was he couldn't saw me...

but I drove into some small path, and ran away... @_@bbb
Old 09-02-2004, 05:54 AM
321 whp SAE

There is a medical exemption available for tint. you just need a doctor to sign off on it.. Call the main motor vehicles line and ask for the medical department. they will send you an application.. it's great.. i get pulled over, show them the card and i'm on my way.. i actually had a cop apologize for wasting my time when he pulled me over. "sorry to bother you sir".. gotta love that
Old 09-02-2004, 09:20 AM
Racer

Got to look into that one....thanks bklynpanman....good thing my doctor is also a god friend of mine...
Old 09-02-2004, 09:50 AM
Instructor

staten island is the worst for having tints because these cops have nothing better to do. i would bet that SI has the lowest crime rate out of the 5 boroughs. they have to get rid of those tickets somehow. i got pulled over in my 00TL for tints....the cop put his little meter thing on all my windows (18% for the back and 23% for the front) and gave me tickets for all my windows at $90 per window. now im debating if i should even put tints on my 04TL.
Old 09-02-2004, 10:37 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Why SI cops could ticket your rear windows? Doesn't NY state allow us to have as low as 5%?
Old 09-02-2004, 01:08 PM
Intermediate

Text from NYS DMV regarding tinted windows...

Question

What are the laws in NYS about tinted vehicle windows?

Answer

Section 375 (12-a) of the NYS Vehicle and Traffic Law does not allow a windshield or front side windows that are dark. The windshield and front side windows cannot block more than 30% of the light. Seventy percent or more of the light from the outside must pass through the window. This law also applies to rear windows unless the vehicle has outside rear-view mirrors on both sides. The mirrors must give the driver a full and clear view behind the vehicle.

It is illegal to sell, offer for sale, or install glass that does not comply with this law. It is illegal to operate a vehicle with glass that does not comply with this law.

If a medical condition requires a person to have tinted vehicle windows, they can request an exemption from the law. Request form MV-80W from a DMV Office or Call Center.