Sponsored by:

TL Newbie Checking In!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 09:27 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TL Newbie Checking In!!

Good Evening Guys,

This site is terribly useful so I thought I would register and say Hi from Vancouver, Canada!!

I am the proud new owner of a 2004, auto, navy blue on beige, non-navi, TL . Being a bit of a car nut I enjoy knowing everything there is to know about my new car, including many of the specific issues and workarounds I can expect. This has ultimately directed me to this site, with notable mention to a fellow by the username of Adobeman who authored the only DVD-A program I am aware of on the net.

I come from the Nissan side of things, being actively involved in www.northwestnissans.com and definitely enjoying the community side of things. I previously drove a pearl white S14 240sx with a laundry list of go-fast modifications. As it was becoming a serious money pit I sold it to a guy who would spend even more money on it, and maybe buy it back from him one day. As luck would have it, it was stolen shortly after the built SR20 was put in on a megasquirt under a new cf hood.

From there, I come here driving a bone stock automatic TL, FWD, low KM, a squishy suspension, and a near silent exhaust note. The beauty is that I have no interest in go-fast parts as I believe it functions better as a luxury sedan than anything else. This will work best for saving up for that NSX.

I was hoping some of you could help me with a few questions I have, despite using that search function. Here they are in point form.

The battery from the 2004 TL seems to be notorious for failing. I need to know what kind of battery this was so I can check it against mine. Anyone?

When starting up the engine it hesitates for a split moment causing an unsavory shake immediately upon the ignition catching. It seems quite pronounced to me but may not be so severe as to catch any others' attention. I am worried this may cause problems due to a low oil pressure environment on startup. Could this be related to a poor battery? Is this the result of the emissions equipment as read in the owners manual?

What octane are you folks running? What is REALLY required?

This may seems like a real bonehead questions but how would I change between the multiple audio 'groups' I have created on a DVD-A disc? I can only seem to navigate through the group 1 tracks and cannot find anything describing this.

What do you guys recommend as must-have mods for any TL? Any gas savers beyond the obvious weight loss and under drive pulleys?

Any other recommendations please let me know.

Thanks for your help!!!

Cheers,

-Mike
Old 07-14-2008, 09:37 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

As you have probably realized there is a wealth of information on this site.

Your start up issues like you mention are mainly due to a weakening battery.

Gas octane wise, 91/93 octane is recommended as it keeps the pinging away, plus I have gotten better mileage too.

In terms of weightloss check this thread out https://acurazine.com/forums/ramblings-12/where-tl-tsx-151540/

UR pulleys, unorthodox pulleys, available in stock size for those who have/plan on having an SC or aftermarket audio/video system; and the underdrive size as well.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:42 PM
iScrape going into

Welcome and Congrats.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:47 PM
∇×E = -∂B/∂t

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Welcome! post some pics of the ride if you can...I love the blue.

In order to switch groups on a DVD-A hold down the scan and rpt buttons together for like 3 seconds...and it should switch over. If you want to listen to group after group be sure to switch before the group is over otherwise it will change to the next CD or DVD-A in your player.
Old 07-15-2008, 07:36 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Welcome to AZ..........I think the original battery is made by Panasonic. There has been a trend that the battery is weak. I installed an Optima Yellowtop in my TL-S when I took ownership of it.

As far as gas octane, go with 91/93 for best gas mileage. If you go lower the mileage drops, so it evens out in the end. Might as well put in the good stuff.
Old 07-17-2008, 12:11 AM
10th Gear

Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful!
Old 07-17-2008, 12:22 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
welcome