Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TL Insurance High????

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 11:59 AM
Mud Man

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL Insurance High????

Hey guys and gals, Got a quick question about insurance. I just checked to see what my insurance would be if I sell my Nissan 350Z sports car and switch to a 04-05 TL. I was surprised to see my rates went up about 75$ a year. Not much but why on earth would insurance be cheaper on a 2 door sports car then a mid sized safe Acura 4 door? Maybe they take in to account cost of vehicle? I told my insurance comp that the Z was bought for 29k$ and maybe they figure the acura is about 33k$ . ????? BEN

edit- also got a qoute for a 35k$ used Corvette Z06 405hp and it was 25$ cheaper a year then the Acura. Can someone that knows about insurance shed some light on this.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:22 PM
Advanced

exact same level of coverage? same insurance company?
Old 12-05-2005, 01:30 PM
Instructor

You might what to get a daily drive added on to your Insurance. My 03 TL-S alone was 975, but with my civic and tl it came out to be 850 for both for 6 months. Insurance AIG with 500 deductale. Your insurance should have went down
Old 12-05-2005, 01:50 PM
Cult of Mac

My 05 TL is more than my 2002 Mercedes SLK 230, with exact same coverage

go figure

My agent told me the TL was rated a 17, and the SLK is a 16 (on whatever scale thingy they use)
Old 12-05-2005, 01:59 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
TL, for some odd reason, scores high on the risk scale. I'm paying about 1700 per year for my '03. 23, 1 point, full coverage.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:08 PM
Horny.

Originally Posted by bstansbu
Hey guys and gals, Got a quick question about insurance. I just checked to see what my insurance would be if I sell my Nissan 350Z sports car and switch to a 04-05 TL. I was surprised to see my rates went up about 75$ a year. Not much but why on earth would insurance be cheaper on a 2 door sports car then a mid sized safe Acura 4 door? Maybe they take in to account cost of vehicle? I told my insurance comp that the Z was bought for 29k$ and maybe they figure the acura is about 33k$ . ????? BEN

edit- also got a qoute for a 35k$ used Corvette Z06 405hp and it was 25$ cheaper a year then the Acura. Can someone that knows about insurance shed some light on this.

Generally: Corvette drivers=older, less claims. I was quoted $675 every six month for a V6 Mustang, but my Vette cost $335, comparable year, go figure.

Maybe too many young spoiled brats are getting TL as graduation gifts.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:13 PM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Remember also its the typical cost of repair/replacement rounded out by the fact that the car has tons more electronic items.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:28 PM
Mud Man

OK, so I am an idiot. Just rechecked my qoutes. Looks like I changed my coverage slightly. I currently have my Z set up for under 5000 miles a year, but changed my TL qoute to be over 5000 miles a year usage. Is it it wrong to tell a little lie and say your going to keep your mileage at less that 5000 to get get cheaper payments? Im guessing yes and if you total your car and your insurance comapny checks your mileage, your screwed. Any thoughts? BEN
Old 12-05-2005, 02:37 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
OK, so I am an idiot. Just rechecked my qoutes. Looks like I changed my coverage slightly. I currently have my Z set up for under 5000 miles a year, but changed my TL qoute to be over 5000 miles a year usage. Is it it wrong to tell a little lie and say your going to keep your mileage at less that 5000 to get get cheaper payments? Im guessing yes and if you total your car and your insurance comapny checks your mileage, your screwed. Any thoughts? BEN
Nope, tell them what you want...they aren't going to check up and question you about it. Maybe you took a couple of unplanned road trips, maybe your company moved your office's location...all kinds of factors, if they asked, which I'm sure they wouldn't.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:52 PM
Dragging knees in

I don't know about you, but I can tell you my experience.

When I first got my TL-S, the insurance agent that handles my family's auto and home policies put the TL under my dad's name as a weekend pleasure vehicle. I didn't even ask for it, but she put it on there for us to save us some money. It came out to like 700 per year (compared to 1700 or so now under my name) but there was a cap on mileage for like 4500 per year or something. Psh, I had it up at school and put like 17000 annually. Everything was okay, though, until my car started getting vandalized and having some bad luck and I had to file like 3-4 claims within a year and a half, all from East Lansing which is where my school is.

AAA corporate finally caught on and asked us why my dad's weekend pleasure vehicle was having so many claims, and all from East Lansing (they knew I went to Michigan State). They threatened to drop the entire family if the TL wasn't transferred to my name. Which is why I now pay 1700 per year.

But considering how the agent put it on there as a weekend vehicle without even having to ask her, I don't know. I guess the consequences can go both ways. AAA was willing to forget about it and not make a big deal as long as I put my name on the car.

By the way, they never once asked to check the mileage, even when the car went in for repairs and whatnot.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:43 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
Auto Club sends questionnaires annually

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline

By the way, they never once asked to check the mileage, even when the car went in for repairs and whatnot.
Auto Club (AAA-- ACSC in Southern Calif.) sends out a questionnaire every year for us to fill in the accumulated miles on each car insured with it.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:56 PM
Yes, he did that

I pay 1333 for the year 100K/500K full coverage, 500 deductible for my TL. Not too bad for my age, but could be better

But I wonder why an Acura would have a higher risk score than a Mercedes. Maybe because it is less secure
Old 12-05-2005, 04:54 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
I have erie and was paying $780 a year for my Audi A4. When I started looking for the replacement I made sure I checked the insurance as well. Here are the cars that I checked.

2002 Corvette - $1200/yr
2005 Mustang GT - $560
2005 Mustang GT Conv - $700

My agent said it has to do with the potential repair cost plus the risk factor (evidently Mustag is REALLY cheap to repair)

As you can tell, I went with the TL and it looks like I'll be paying $830 a year... A little more than my Audi.
Old 12-05-2005, 05:05 PM
Burning Brakes

The TL seems like it's rated pretty poorly compared to other cars I've owned.

I pay with State Farm on my 2006 TL/Nav

I have 250k/500k coverage with a $250 deductible

$357 per 6 months ($714 per year).

I'm married and 31 years old and that's with their maximum accident free discount (10 years).
Old 12-05-2005, 06:26 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by TXXXX
Maybe too many young spoiled brats are getting TL as graduation gifts.

So because a kid gets a TL as a graduation present he is a spoiled young brat now?
Old 12-05-2005, 06:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Originally Posted by BigB270
So because a kid gets a TL as a graduation present he is a spoiled young brat now?

Your present when you graduate high school should be your damn diploma.
Old 12-05-2005, 07:09 PM
not vtech... VTEC!!!

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL

Your present when you graduate high school should be your damn diploma.

agreed.... my first car was a 88 chevy nova.

any kid that gets a brand spanking new car for HS graduation is spoiled.

/Graduated H.S. in Montgomery County, MD
//See too many spoiled 17 y.o. w/ new BMW on the road
Old 12-05-2005, 07:19 PM
Horny.

Originally Posted by BigB270
Your are obviously too young to understand LOGIC. Too complicated, so Go and read a book about logic.

And any kids that get a 34K car for HS graduation gift is a spoiled brat.

Anyways...this father springs for a party for his daughter that costs over $200K!!! and this stupid bitch is complaining that her "party sucks". Before the party, the dad tells his daughter that the limo isn't coming. They then show them driving off in an '04+ Acura TL...and the camera cuts to her and she says..."I can't believe I have to go to my party in a #*@* Acura!".

Stupid Bitch.
Old 12-05-2005, 08:20 PM
SSgt, USAF

I've got $500 deductible, with 2 cars (04 Audi A4 + 05 Acura TL), with my GF on the policy with me (25 + 26 y.o.), and I pay $140/mo ($840/6 mo.) = USAA
Old 12-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Dragging knees in

Originally Posted by Will Y.
Auto Club (AAA-- ACSC in Southern Calif.) sends out a questionnaire every year for us to fill in the accumulated miles on each car insured with it.

AAA of Michigan never asked about my car.
Old 12-05-2005, 10:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Up here a 06 TL is nearly $100 less than my 03 Passat GLX 4Mo
Old 12-06-2005, 07:23 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm paying $2200 here in jersey, same as i did on a 99 integra. I expected my rates to go way up but they didn't. At first when I was buying the car the insurance company gave me a quote of $3100/yr. without VIN's. After getting the VIN etc. etc. i was quoted at $2200 by New Jersey manufacturers. I was quite happy about that.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:15 AM
41 43 55 52 41 20 54 4C

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I live in Wichita, KS, so mine might be lower than someone who lives in... let's say New Jersey for example... But... here are my rates for all three cars for me and my wife, who are both 25, with me driving the TL 5k mi/yr, the maxima 5k/yr, and her driving the MDX 10k/yr. Back when I was 18ish, my '94 GSR was about DOUBLE what all three of these cars together are now.

.......................................'05 TL.........'02 MDX........'92 Maxima SE
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bodily 300k/300k.............38...............49.............. .......40
Property 100k..................36...............47......... ........... 39
Basic pip..........................12................15. ...................12
Un/underinsured.............15.................15.... ............... 20
Comprehensive...............100...............93.. ...................---
Collision..........................96............. ...100................... ---
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TOTALS..........................297............... .319....................111

6 month -- $727
1 Year ---- $1454

You should have seen those numbers when the '02 MDx was an '00 V6mustang... (we got the MDX about 4 months ago). Swapping the mustang for the MDX made the insurance go down by about $500/6months, even though the MDX is worth like... 3 or 4 times what the mustang was, and heavier... and the MDX is about as quick as the stang was too.
Old 12-06-2005, 11:23 AM
Cruisin'

I've been reading this thread with great interest. What you are neglecting to take into account is that younger drivers have greater access to a TL, being quite inexpensive compared to other cars of it's caliber. This is why a TL will score higher than a Mercedes SEL.

It's also why a Mustang is more expensive to insure than a MDX, even though the MDX is bigger and heavier, a person from 18-25 will be more apt to choose a Mustang over an MDX. A person 18-25, will in many cases be able to afford a TL, but not a Mercedes SEL. Compare it against the C230, and that might be more apples to apples, or a Cadillac CTS, again apples to apples.

Remember the thread where that kid supposedly disabled his Traction Control, did a donut in the parking lot and bashed a parked truck, and then wanted to blame the Traction Control? Then, he tried to hide this fact from his parents? These are the brainiacs that cause insurance companies to make younger people automatic risks to insure. Even if this particular story is false, it's still a very plausible scenario.

If you are between 16-25, you are a major risk, no matter how good a driver you might be. Insurance doesn't take that into account until you reach 26, and that depends on how many claims you have, or how many tickets you have had.

After you reach 26, generally you will receive some discounting, but by then, many people would be onto their next car, and new car is always more expensive to insure than the car it's replacing because of the age of the car, so this discount is eaten by the new premium.

If you want to have cheaper insurance, buy a Kia or a Hyundai, or a Chevy Malibu. And even if you replace a TL with one of these, you insurance may only go down a little, or plateau because you are replacing an older car with a newer car.

To me this is all pretty much common sense.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:28 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Originally Posted by Accuratesignings
I've been reading this thread with great interest. What you are neglecting to take into account is that younger drivers have greater access to a TL, being quite inexpensive compared to other cars of it's caliber. This is why a TL will score higher than a Mercedes SEL.

It's also why a Mustang is more expensive to insure than a MDX, even though the MDX is bigger and heavier, a person from 18-25 will be more apt to choose a Mustang over an MDX. A person 18-25, will in many cases be able to afford a TL, but not a Mercedes SEL. Compare it against the C230, and that might be more apples to apples, or a Cadillac CTS, again apples to apples.

Remember the thread where that kid supposedly disabled his Traction Control, did a donut in the parking lot and bashed a parked truck, and then wanted to blame the Traction Control? Then, he tried to hide this fact from his parents? These are the brainiacs that cause insurance companies to make younger people automatic risks to insure. Even if this particular story is false, it's still a very plausible scenario.

If you are between 16-25, you are a major risk, no matter how good a driver you might be. Insurance doesn't take that into account until you reach 26, and that depends on how many claims you have, or how many tickets you have had.

After you reach 26, generally you will receive some discounting, but by then, many people would be onto their next car, and new car is always more expensive to insure than the car it's replacing because of the age of the car, so this discount is eaten by the new premium.

If you want to have cheaper insurance, buy a Kia or a Hyundai, or a Chevy Malibu. And even if you replace a TL with one of these, you insurance may only go down a little, or plateau because you are replacing an older car with a newer car.

To me this is all pretty much common sense.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:29 PM
Burning Brakes

I also think the actuaries take into account if you are married or not too. I think a married person is less risky in their eyes.

Plus anyone who posts their rates in this thread. If you don't post your coverage amount and deductible then your post doesn't mean much. Those two things will effect your rate dramatically.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HiTEC
I also think the actuaries take into account if you are married or not too. I think a married person is less risky in their eyes.

Plus anyone who posts their rates in this thread. If you don't post your coverage amount and deductible then your post doesn't mean much. Those two things will effect your rate dramatically.

All states differ on how insurance is implemented.. In MA we used to have the system that some people want back today. In that system an under 25 single male driver was probably the worst category to be in. Regardless of your driving record, they could place you in the assigned risk pool (as it was known back then) ..

My insurance on a brand new monte carlo (1977 now) was 1520 bucks/year. The dam car only cost me like 5400. If I was a woman it would have been 1200. Now they changed the rules in 78 and since I had more than 5 years of driving with no accidents, the insurance was like 650. And oh yeah had I lived in dorchester in 77 the insurance would be roughly 3000/yr.

I pay about 1200 today step 9. A camry would be 1000 and a bmw 325 about 1400.

I am told that in the future they can take all kinds of things into consideration for determining what you pay for premiums. Age, experience, record, credit history, town, occupation, mileage, marital status, and who know what else.

As for being married well I am told that married men live longer but they are more willing to die LOL so I do not know about being safer.. lol.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:50 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
why on earth would insurance be cheaper on a 2 door sports car then a mid sized safe Acura 4 door? Maybe they take in to account cost of vehicle? I told my insurance comp that the Z was bought for 29k$ and maybe they figure the acura is about 33k$ . ????? BEN
Nope, can't be that.
My G35 Coupe stickered for 40k, and my TL stickered for 35k, yet my G35 Coupe is ~$500 per year cheaper to insure than our TL. (They didn't ask how much I paid for the car, just how much it listed for.)

I just figured that Acura/Honda was more expensive to insure because of hi theft rates or something.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:56 PM
Drifting

I already asked All-State about this. They told me it makes 0 difference what your rates are. I asked, because I moved and forgot to change the thing. I told them it changed from 0-10 miles a day to about 80 miles a day. They said it doesn't matter.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:05 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Pure Adrenaline
AAA corporate finally caught on and asked us why my dad's weekend pleasure vehicle was having so many claims, and all from East Lansing (they knew I went to Michigan State). They threatened to drop the entire family if the TL wasn't transferred to my name. Which is why I now pay 1700 per year.
It's not like your dad couldn't have driven to visit his kids The policy allows any member of your family to drive any vehicle. Are you supposed to call up the agent every time you decide to let somebody different drive the car?

Let's say your dad lets you drive the car to school when the school year starts. Sep-Dec = 3 months. 3 months out of 12 in not enough justification to transfer it to your name.

There were are all hypotheticalbut still...

Based on:

1.) The agent is the one that set it up this way, without even asking.
2.) Policy allows any driver drive any vehicle at any time.
3.) Burden of proof is on the carrier

I wouldn't bend over for the insurance company. I would be tempted to sue them if they tried to drop me. I only say this because I've been screwed by insurance before. They did a shoddy job at fixing one of my other cars. It was no-where near pre-loss condition, and they refused to pay for "proper" repairs. (Nationwide Insurance, in case anyone was curious)
Old 12-06-2005, 02:32 PM
41 43 55 52 41 20 54 4C

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Accuratesignings
I've been reading this thread with great interest.... <snip> pretty much common sense.
You bring up very good points, and I do agree with them. you are exactly right about the mustang. Look at the average driver of a mustang vs. mdx, although i do think turning 25 lowers it greatly, not 26 (well maybe 26 lowers it a lot too, but I had always heard 25). In either case, it's hard for me to tell since I got married, then 7 days later turned 25. The insurance company said that either turning 25, or getting married, both do about the same thing... but who knows how accurate they were in saying that. A neighbor works for progressive, and said another reason is the mustang is high, is that it is more commonly stolen than an MDX.

Of course the major reason is the age/sex of the driver (sex in the case of younger, it probably makes a difference across all ages, but in younger ages it makes a much larger difference) and of course the statistics of that specific car. That's why even though I had a pretty clean record when i was younger, driving an integra still was expensive to insure. I will say that with me and my wife at 25, I think we pay a pretty decent price. We need to get off our lazy behinds and take a defensive driving course!! It's good for a 10% discount for 3 years, and i think the course is only like $30 each... so say 60 total, divided by 3 years, is $20/yr to save $140/yr!! Why haven’t we done it yet! Arghhh....

And to your statement, "If you are between 16-25, you are a major risk, no matter how good a driver you might be." Well, theoretically you arent a REAL risk if you're a good driver, the insurance company just considers you a big risk since you are more "likely" to be a risk than a 30yrold. Insurance companies should put data recorders on our cars and charge us based on how we drive.... Wait... what am I thinking!!!
Old 12-06-2005, 03:03 PM
Oderint dum metuant.

Originally Posted by mp3car
Insurance companies should put data recorders on our cars and charge us based on how we drive.... Wait... what am I thinking!!!
They do in some states...at the owner's request...they offer pretty hefty discounts if you allow this. Of course, if the computer says you're driving like a madman, you'll get equally hefty increases. I personally think it's a horrible idea.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:22 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mp3car
You bring up very good points, and I do agree with them. you are exactly right about the mustang. Look at the average driver of a mustang vs. mdx, although i do think turning 25 lowers it greatly, not 26 (well maybe 26 lowers it a lot too, but I had always heard 25). In either case, it's hard for me to tell since I got married, then 7 days later turned 25. The insurance company said that either turning 25, or getting married, both do about the same thing... but who knows how accurate they were in saying that. A neighbor works for progressive, and said another reason is the mustang is high, is that it is more commonly stolen than an MDX.

Of course the major reason is the age/sex of the driver (sex in the case of younger, it probably makes a difference across all ages, but in younger ages it makes a much larger difference) and of course the statistics of that specific car. That's why even though I had a pretty clean record when i was younger, driving an integra still was expensive to insure. I will say that with me and my wife at 25, I think we pay a pretty decent price. We need to get off our lazy behinds and take a defensive driving course!! It's good for a 10% discount for 3 years, and i think the course is only like $30 each... so say 60 total, divided by 3 years, is $20/yr to save $140/yr!! Why haven’t we done it yet! Arghhh....

And to your statement, "If you are between 16-25, you are a major risk, no matter how good a driver you might be." Well, theoretically you arent a REAL risk if you're a good driver, the insurance company just considers you a big risk since you are more "likely" to be a risk than a 30yrold. Insurance companies should put data recorders on our cars and charge us based on how we drive.... Wait... what am I thinking!!!

I don't want "BIG BROTHER" watching me.

I must have been misinterpreted. I'm not saying that all 18-25(6?) year old drivers are an automatic risk. I'm saying that's what the insurance companies assign them as.

And, yes, actuaries take gender, age, marital status, make of the car, theft rates, weather patterns, and a whole myriad of items together to make the determination of insurance costs.

One thing is still true, the younger you are, the more expensive insurance becomes.

However, I still think that it's also a cost/purchase thing that can also drive insurance rates, and car popularity. The TL is certainly cheaper than a comparably equipped G35, making it within reach of a younger section of the population, even though the G35 is rear wheel/all wheel drive.