3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The TL has so much fail in hot weather

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2010, 01:40 AM
Former Whyner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Remove your hood and PROBLEM SOLVED btw i was thinkning about that the other week. What are the illegal aspects of this? or is it even illegal?

Yeah plan on installing just saving up for Meth money
Old 05-07-2010, 01:45 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by RonJonTL757
Remove your hood and PROBLEM SOLVED btw i was thinkning about that the other week. What are the illegal aspects of this? or is it even illegal?

I see the occasional muscle car driving around without a hood. A couple I've seen for a few years in that shape with the supercharger in all it's glory. I even had to leave my hood off for a week back in the old days when turbos were not so plentiful and I was testing one from a semi. Never got pulled over.

I don't think it's something they would get you for but it seems there's always something in the books they can and will get you for if you piss them off. I'm sure if it's not the hood itself, it would lead to other things.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts

That just sounds wrong. Its funny because my mom looked at me funny when I told her I was going to the store to get meth and asked if my injectors came in the mail yet.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:54 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AckTL05
That just sounds wrong. Its funny because my mom looked at me funny when I told her I was going to the store to get meth and asked if my injectors came in the mail yet.
I didn't see that part lol. It's funny for me too because during one of the more involved meth threads I noticed some co-workers showing a little more interest than they should have. I was seriously waiting for a "random" drug test.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:57 AM
Former Whyner

haha classic

[/QUOTE]
Old 05-07-2010, 02:13 AM
Former Whyner

IHC good call on that thermostat. I remember my buddy had a DelSol back in the day and he had a lower temp thermostat and his temp gauge was halfway to the middle , except on cold nights driving it would go to Cold. Even the engine valve cover was warm to the touch.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:31 AM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Old 05-07-2010, 07:46 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yea i got a tl-s my self. its gotten noticably hot and humid this week here in s. fla. highs in the lower 90s and really humid. i noticed it seems a little slower and less responsive. we had an unusually cool winter here and the car felt alot better then.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:31 AM
אני עומד עם ישראל

Received 810 Likes on 522 Posts
See we've been in Vegas with three people and my dog in the car, luggage, folded crate, you name it in the middle of August (easily 100+) a/c on blast that was probably the only time I could remember this car "lagging." I was at half throttle to keep up with traffic in that situation. Other then that one incident I can't recall it having a significant amount of decreased performance. My poor car, I changed out the oil, coolant, tranny, air and cabin before we left.
Old 05-07-2010, 11:45 AM
Drifting

Received 212 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars

Every car gets slower as temps rise. My TL gets abnormally slow. It surges, it requires half throttle just to keep up with traffic from a redlight. Gas mileage goes down to about 12mpg around town.

I know what it is, I just don't know how to permanently fix it. The car has a detonation problem. The computer retards the timing and there goes power and gas mileage. I've monitored it on the scanner to verify. Running 100 unleaded cures it of this problem and it feels like any other car in the 105 degree summers. Unfortunately I don't have the money to run $6 gallon fuel.
Im in the same boat in my TL.

things just dont run as good when hot. my Evo was the same way. thats also why when buying a car, buy it during the day when its hot - if there really is a problem, it will manifest itself right away.

but back on the topic, I do put 100 octane 76 unleaded during the summer months. it runs me about $7.99 a gallon and I dump maybe 5 gallons every other fill up with 91. it does help noticeably, especially because i do the 2-minute ECU reset before I drive after the fill-up. the TL does suffer from a lot of heatsoak, especially more so i think because it doesnt have a lot of front openings to dissipate all the trapped heat under the hood.
Old 05-07-2010, 12:17 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My TL was very bitchy, sometimes the weather had nothing to do with it, I'd get great power sometimes, just rowing through the gears, and on other days it was like 2 cylinders were missing.. can't explain it, no one can, but there car certainly gets moody.

Course now i'm in a legacy TURBOOHHHH and it doesn't matter.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:55 PM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I am in the same boat here in South Florida. My 05 AT becomes absolutely disgusting to drive in hot weather. It's so bad, I don't take her out unless I really have to.

My oil is ok, I do have a CAI, it has 37k miles on it and I don't drive hard. I have no explanation for the way it performs in temps above 80.

As for the t-stat... wouldn't the car run hotter if you change the 170 to a 195? Unless I am mistaken, the t-stat won't open until the coolant temp passes 195, which would take longer to cool down than 170. Although, this extended time might also help make the "cool side" of the t-stat cooler before it goes into the block. What do you think, Matt?
Old 05-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Trew

I am in the same boat here in South Florida. My 05 AT becomes absolutely disgusting to drive in hot weather. It's so bad, I don't take her out unless I really have to.

My oil is ok, I do have a CAI, it has 37k miles on it and I don't drive hard. I have no explanation for the way it performs in temps above 80.

As for the t-stat... wouldn't the car run hotter if you change the 170 to a 195? Unless I am mistaken, the t-stat won't open until the coolant temp passes 195, which would take longer to cool down than 170. Although, this extended time might also help make the "cool side" of the t-stat cooler before it goes into the block. What do you think, Matt?
I'm actually doing the opposite. On the scanner, my car runs 198 all the time. I assumed this was the stock thermostat opening but when I went looking for a cooler thermostat I discovered the stock one is supposed to be 170. So what I'm going to do is swap out the stock one for another stock 170 and see if it runs cooler. I suspect my car has had a bad or wrong thermostat since day one. There's no way it would run 198 in the winter if the stat was opening at 170 like it's supposed to.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:19 PM
Instructor

its the humidity, thats why the ppl out west in 100 degree heat dont notice the lag
Old 05-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by dlphnsjk
its the humidity, thats why the ppl out west in 100 degree heat dont notice the lag
i did here last year. we were having 105* temps and i live 20 mins from the beach. its not humid here but the car feels very sluggish when the mercury goes past 80 or so.
Old 05-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Team Owner

As I've stated, there is a real problem with some of the TLs besides the normal sluggishness when it gets hot, the air gets less dense, the humidity goes up. It's been verified that it pings like crazy on the scanner.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:01 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
IHC good call on that thermostat. I remember my buddy had a DelSol back in the day and he had a lower temp thermostat and his temp gauge was halfway to the middle , except on cold nights driving it would go to Cold. Even the engine valve cover was warm to the touch.
That's what I did on my superchaged GTP. The stock tstat was 195, soI replaced it with a 180. Now the normal operating temp on my temp guage is a hair less then 1/4, where it used to be 1/2. On cold nights, it will be barely above cold.

Some of the GTP guys ran 165 tstats, but many complained of check engine lights coming on with that tstat, especially on colder days... Check engine light was becuase the ECU thought the engine was stuck in closed-loop mode. I've been running the 180 tstat for 7+ years and never had any problems... Even when I drove the car in the middle of a winter storm...

And yes, when I had my 195 tstat, my supercharger would whine way louder than normal when under boost in hot weather... Now, not so much, unless I'm stuck in traffic on a hot day and my temp guage rises to 1/2. But with the 195 tstat, the same condition would cause the temp guage to rise to 3/4.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:13 PM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
very interesting about the thermostat. Are there any problems that could arise from using a cooler one?

IHC..link for the one you are using?
Old 05-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by libert69
very interesting about the thermostat. Are there any problems that could arise from using a cooler one?

IHC..link for the one you are using?
I'm going with factory. Its supposed to be 170. Mine runs 198 summer or winter. They may have had a bad batch or done some sort of quick patch for emissions, I don't know. But to clarify I'm not going cooler than stock.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
I'm going with factory. Its supposed to be 170. Mine runs 198 summer or winter. They may have had a bad batch or done some sort of quick patch for emissions, I don't know. But to clarify I'm not going cooler than stock.
how soon will we find out the results....? ive been following up on this since ever and to be honest i always think you are gonna be the one resolving this issue as you seem to know whats really going on. so hopefully there is going to be some good news
Old 05-07-2010, 09:16 PM
18psi

^have you had a oppurtunity to see if there other tl's operating correctly at 170?
Old 05-08-2010, 06:30 PM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I live in south florida and have definitely noticed a difference in performance in hot weather. That is to be expected if you understand anything about science. Anyway I don't think the TL is that bad in hot weather compared with other cars I have owned. Also I have had the throttle body and intake manifold spacers on another car and did not notice a difference at all in performance. I think they are complete junk.
Old 05-08-2010, 07:12 PM
6th Gear

my dash makes popcorn when it's hot out there....pop tick tock pop
Old 05-09-2010, 04:02 PM
Coal

Received 137 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by cjTL
The damn obnoxious cooling fan kicks on in my car all the time. Eff.
most annoying sound ever.

idk guys maybe taking off all those stupid plastic covers would help....even tho they do look nice.
Old 05-10-2010, 12:03 AM
18psi

Originally Posted by 05TLdcc
most annoying sound ever.

idk guys maybe taking off all those stupid plastic covers would help....even tho they do look nice.
Ive noticed that removing only the plastic cover that is closest to the front bumper allows SO much more air into the engine bay. This coupled with Inaccurate's ultimate cooling mod and you will be quite surprised how cool the manifold is after driving.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:36 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sixsixfour
Im in the same boat in my TL.

things just dont run as good when hot. my Evo was the same way. thats also why when buying a car, buy it during the day when its hot - if there really is a problem, it will manifest itself right away.

but back on the topic, I do put 100 octane 76 unleaded during the summer months. it runs me about $7.99 a gallon and I dump maybe 5 gallons every other fill up with 91. it does help noticeably, especially because i do the 2-minute ECU reset before I drive after the fill-up. the TL does suffer from a lot of heatsoak, especially more so i think because it doesnt have a lot of front openings to dissipate all the trapped heat under the hood.
Sweet, another Evo->TL converter. Hello
Old 05-10-2010, 05:37 PM
- Gene

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by avs007
That's what I did on my superchaged GTP. The stock tstat was 195, soI replaced it with a 180. Now the normal operating temp on my temp guage is a hair less then 1/4, where it used to be 1/2. On cold nights, it will be barely above cold.

Some of the GTP guys ran 165 tstats, but many complained of check engine lights coming on with that tstat, especially on colder days... Check engine light was becuase the ECU thought the engine was stuck in closed-loop mode. I've been running the 180 tstat for 7+ years and never had any problems... Even when I drove the car in the middle of a winter storm...

And yes, when I had my 195 tstat, my supercharger would whine way louder than normal when under boost in hot weather... Now, not so much, unless I'm stuck in traffic on a hot day and my temp guage rises to 1/2. But with the 195 tstat, the same condition would cause the temp guage to rise to 3/4.
pretty unuseful unrelated post but damn i love the color of your TL bro!
Old 05-10-2010, 07:49 PM
200,000 mile club

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
^^^^^ Hahaha...That is photoshoped but it would be nice to see a TL that color.

I am also interested to see if this thermostat has anything to do with this. Keep us posted Ihatecars.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:59 AM
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Sorry dude but Im calling BS on this. Im in Phoenix. This past week its been in the mid 90s. My car has turned into a 3 cylinder Geo Metro adn my MPG has dropped down to 2-3 mpg. Im officially ordering a versus front bumper and having some custom hood work done in the near future.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:21 AM
Former Whyner

Originally Posted by Toddy
Sorry dude but Im calling BS on this. Im in Phoenix. This past week its been in the mid 90s. My car has turned into a 3 cylinder Geo Metro adn my MPG has dropped down to 2-3 mpg. Im officially ordering a versus front bumper and having some custom hood work done in the near future.
haha 3 cyl metro daym that bad I thought my comparison to a 4 cyl civic dx was bad. I understand your fustration but think the versus front might be a bit extreme. IMO that front dosent look good unless you have a Intercooler in the front like you know who :wink:

I would opt for the TB coolant bypass, P2R tb spacer, mdx spacer, and the innacurate ultimate cool air vent mod. Not sure your mods but maybe that would help.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:24 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by laakness
Sweet, another Evo->TL converter. Hello
sup man. until recently we still had an Evo X in the garage. maybe one day we'll have one again.
Old 05-18-2010, 10:58 AM
18psi

Originally Posted by Toddy
good luck with the versus front bumper. Ive contacted them multiple times in regards to this and they dont even answer me anymore. If you come up with anything please let me know
Old 05-18-2010, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
haha 3 cyl metro daym that bad I thought my comparison to a 4 cyl civic dx was bad. I understand your fustration but think the versus front might be a bit extreme. IMO that front dosent look good unless you have a Intercooler in the front like you know who :wink:

I would opt for the TB coolant bypass, P2R tb spacer, mdx spacer, and the innacurate ultimate cool air vent mod. Not sure your mods but maybe that would help.
Never heard of the TB Coolant Bypass. Ill look into it. I plan to do the others when I get into my new house. I don't like what innacurate is doing to his car though. I want my car to still look luxurious. Im planning on having the hood louvered like the BMWs are and building a custom wiper cowl to allow heat to escape. This should help solve the heat soak. Thanks for the advice.

Versus has 6 people with deposits on the bumper. They need 10 to place the order. Send them a deposit of 150 and your name will be on the list.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:18 PM
Pro

my brother owns an 06 Evo ix MR and to be honest it runs better on winter. even though still fast in summer he have heard from fellow evo owners the same story.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:15 PM
Instructor

Glad I found this thread... I thought I was having tranny/ possible fuel pump issues.

The car has definitely been moody. It's been running great for a week or so now... but every once in while it will have a case of the hiccups!

Damn this Florida humidity!
Old 05-19-2010, 02:08 AM
18psi

IHC, any updates with the thermostat?
Old 05-29-2010, 09:24 AM
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Matt, have you had a chance to test your theory?
Old 05-29-2010, 11:44 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Trew
Matt, have you had a chance to test your theory?
Not yet. Trying to wait until it gets a little hotter around here. I'm actually on the Gulf Coast right now and it looks like I won't be back home for a while unfortunately.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:13 PM
I'm Craig

Received 299 Likes on 207 Posts
Originally Posted by WhteTLS
wait really? TLs crap out in the heat? I drove around all weekend this past weekend in VA/MD and it was in the 90s.. I didn't notice anything.
It's not really something any normal person would notice. Miniscule performance difference in hot weather. And when most of us tend to drive our cars...well "enthusiastically," its something that can be noticed.
Old 05-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Team Owner

That would describe the normal difference between hot and cold. However, the TLs that have the problem are barely drivable in hot weather. An 80yr old woman would know something was wrong.

Quick Reply: The TL has so much fail in hot weather