3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Thoughts on Buying a First-year, newly designed TL
I wish I would have waited a year. Too many small problems.
16.95%
I'm glad I got my TL when I did. Problems are few or not at all.
77.97%
First-year, redesigned cars have no more problems than the cars that follow them.
5.08%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

TL Experiencing Redesign Glitches?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004, 08:28 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
God makes a material with balls at the end of the stem, too, and it can also be hard. It's called a penis.

Sorry, I know that was a groaner.

The problem with the headliner seems to be not the fasteners but the double-stick tape that fastens the fasteners. No?
Old 04-05-2004, 09:55 PM
Overlord - Team Abyss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TLGator
God makes a material with balls at the end of the stem, too, and it can also be hard. It's called a penis.

Sorry, I know that was a groaner.

The problem with the headliner seems to be not the fasteners but the double-stick tape that fastens the fasteners. No?
Maybe Acura bought the cheap standard adhesive vs. the VHB (Very High Bond) adhesive? Idiots?
Old 04-05-2004, 09:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
World's Largest Acura Dealer

Originally Posted by Vtecne
xpditor42 ,

Are you buying at Rick Case? I am also in Fort Lauderdale "Pembroke Pines".

Vtecne: AKA Neil
2004 with Navi
Neil:

Yes. I'm buying at Rick Case but I shopped everywhere.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Talking Got balls?

Originally Posted by TheNip73
3M makes a material with "balls" on the end of the stems. When you push the two sides together the balls from the opposing sides slip past each other and form a tight friction fitting. Needless to say, this stuff is HARD to pull apart. I bet it is what Honda/Acura uses. I believe the name of the product is Scotchmate Dual Lock Fasteners from my not so far away days interning at 3M.
Hey, I'll vouch for that. My TL definitely has balls. :clown:
Old 04-05-2004, 10:04 PM
Overlord - Team Abyss

What have I done :devil:
Old 04-05-2004, 10:23 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Question Headliners.

Falling headliner, what is it exactly? Could someone help and tell me?
Old 04-06-2004, 11:02 AM
Burning Brakes

They make quality corrections when problems are found. Most of the problems associated with the early models have been cleared up for several months now. These included the memory seat retention problem, various trim and fit problems, etc.
I wish I could agree, but one of the three in line with me yesterday was built late Feb and has many of the same issues I have, including the memory problem and excessive rattles.
Old 04-08-2004, 11:53 PM
Team Antracite Member

Originally Posted by Norse396
I wish I could agree, but one of the three in line with me yesterday was built late Feb and has many of the same issues I have, including the memory problem and excessive rattles.
I picked up my car on April 4th. Haven't had any problems and passing 500 miles. You think mine was built with some of the problematic models.

Abyss Blue Pearl/Camel/Navigation
Old 04-10-2004, 06:18 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by xpditor42
My car is due in next week. The VIN is 40,xxx. Do they make mid-year quality corrections or do they wait until the next model year? Can I expect the same issues that people had when they got their cars last October?

:banghead:
Did you get your car yet? Mine was due to come in 4/8 but not yet delivered?
Is this normal??? Due date not exactly acurate??
Old 04-10-2004, 09:48 PM
Banned

I think the edge goes to the TL, even if the max is a 6 spd..

best time to date on a 6spd TL is 14.2 quarter..bone with $hit tires at full inflation.
Old 04-10-2004, 11:44 PM
Senior Moderator

Angry It's a long, sad story....

Originally Posted by jrogers345
Did you get your car yet? Mine was due to come in 4/8 but not yet delivered? Is this normal??? Due date not exactly acurate??
My car was predicted by the dealer to arrive on 4/21. It was made on 3/29 and arrived on 4/6. The dealer usually adds on a week or two so you won't be haunting him every day if it's late.

I had given explicit, written instructions not to detail my car. I wanted them to call me when it came in before they even took the plastic off. I DID NOT want them to run it through their automated car wash nor polish it with a buffing machine. My car is black. I also told them not to mount the front plate holder and not to put the dealer's name on the trunk.

Contrary to instructions, they got the car ready just like everyone else's. When the salesgirl called me to tell me it was in, she told me that had already washed and polished it.

I went right over there with a full head of steam. I went right to the back lot and saw "my" car. It had been polished and it had the dealer's name on the trunk. I looked closely at the hood and saw that it was covered with very fine scratches as if it had been washed with a brush or gone through a car wash.

Now, please understand- I just sold my Maxima and in the 14 years I had it, it never went through a car wash. It looked as good as the day I bought it.

Then, I went to the showroom and my girl said, "Are you ready to look at your car?"

I said, "I am ready to look at THE car- in fact I already have. But, it's not MY car because I will not accept it." She seemed shocked. We went out and looked at it and I showed her the scratches. She said, "Don't you think they will buff out?"

"Probably. But why would it be necessary? It's a brand new car. I'm not taking a wounded duck because you guys can't follow instructions."

I left telling them to call me if they located another one and that meanwhile I would be shopping at other dealers and other makes. I had used my credit card for a deposit on the advice of carbuyingtips.com so I could just reverse the charge if I needed to.

I then wrote many emails to the dealer and general manager letting them know just how I felt about the screw up. :tflamer: I let everyone here know as well.

The GM said she might be able to get a car on order by another dealer. She called only to have that other dealer tell her they had sold that ordered car. I suggested they offer the buyer "my" car today rather than have him wait two weeks for "his". He said yes and took my "scrub-a-dub tub" and they put my name on the ordered car, diverting it to my dealership. It is scheduled to be made next week (4-11 to 4-15). It takes 6-7 days in shipment.

So, we will try this again. I really think they expected I would cave in and take the scratched one. I don't think women understand the complexity of this issue. To them, it's just a car.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!