Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the TL carwash safe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2004, 07:50 PM
Drifting

Received 242 Likes on 165 Posts
Is the TL carwash safe?

I know many of you would never go to a car wash but sometimes you just have to..well...I have to...anyway..I know on my old CLS the rims wuld stick out a tiny bit mor than the tire which would cause the rims to get scratched at the car wash...Is this the case with the new tl as well ?
Old 04-16-2004, 07:57 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Lightbulb I Aways Use A Car Wash

Originally Posted by SilverJ
I know many of you would never go to a car wash but sometimes you just have to..well...I have to...anyway..I know on my old CLS the rims wuld stick out a tiny bit mor than the tire which would cause the rims to get scratched at the car wash...Is this the case with the new tl as well ?
I AWAYS USE A CAR WASH AND SO FAR GOOD
Old 04-16-2004, 08:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well depends on how anal you are. the rims will definitely scratch cause the tire is too narrow. then there is the swirl marks. those spinning things in the car was will cause micro scarring of the surface. then the 3 amigos that wipe your car down like maniacs will cause more swirl marks with their towels. so it depends on the owner. if its a lease go right ahead.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:26 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
caball88, you're familiar with LIE, right? Btwn Exit 24 and 25, East bound, local service road, there is a store called "2000 Hand Car Wash", which is using high-pressure water and hand wash through the whole procedure. The rail is low and your rims are hard to be damaged by its wooden-cushion rail.

Anyway, I used to go there. But since they use brush to wash the car in cold weather, I stopped going there now.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:30 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
when I wash my car, I really never use the brush unless its real dirty - I just use the high pressure soap like every week or so to keep the dirt off, then I make sure I use the spot free rinse and the dryer when I leave and I never have to hand dry or wash the car. This avoids a whole lot of scratches and stuff.

just my 2 cents on how to keep your finish nicer.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:46 PM
Powered by Guinness

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think NBP cars come with a carwash detection/fuel cutoff feature.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:59 PM
Amateur Gynecologist

Amen... Those of us with the NBP won't be caught dead at the car wash. Everytime I feel lazy on a Saturday and don't feel like washing the car I just imagine a scenario where I'm at the local car wash and I get the car done and there are a ton of brand new swirl marks. A dirty car is bad but permanent swirl marks are worse.

I went to Linen N Things the other day and bought a $20 all cotton towel for the sole purpose of drying my car. Microfiber seems to work the best though IMO.

The TL is NOT car wash safe...
Old 08-06-2004, 11:45 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AGREED. TL's are NOT car wash safe. I took my 2 week old TL to the car wash today and GUIDO who was washing my rims washed the tires, then used the same sheep skin mit to wash the car. Thus putting a NICE "Down to the Metal" deep scratch in my BEAUTIFUL NBP. HOLY S*^T, the S%*T hit the fan! lol. Thank GOD for friends who work at body shops! He was able to buff out about 90% of the scratch, but the initial "chip" from the rock that was imbedded in the sponge was down to the metal. YIPPEEE! NEVER EVER EVER EVER on a cold day in hell will my car EVER see a car wash again! ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!
Old 08-07-2004, 09:46 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
How did you know his name was GUIDO? Did he politely introduced himself after F'ing up your car?
Old 08-09-2004, 02:50 AM
Advanced

No car is carwash safe.

If you like your car, don't take it to the car wash. What an evil evil place.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:37 AM
Advanced

I have an NBP and I take it to the car wash a couple of times a week and so far, no problems. There is a car wash down the street from my house that has both a brush and a brushless wash. The brushless wash uses only high pressure water, soap, "clearcoat protectant" (sounds like a scam to me!), and wax. It also has a spot free rinse. I usually just drive in (no rails to scratch your rims, either), sit there for a few minutes while the wash does it's thing, then I get out on the highway and go a couple of exits at 70mph, then turn around and come back. The car is usually dry by then and no water spots or swirl marks and the car looks great. It's car wash safe, but you have to pick the right car wash.

Matt
Old 08-09-2004, 02:52 PM
Advanced

I'm assuming yall are talking about the automatic car washes and one's where you can actually do it yourself. If i'm feeling lazy then i'll go to a nice detailing company and them wash it and wax it. Is this safe? So far i've had no problems from who i go to
Old 08-09-2004, 03:25 PM
www.teamultraspeed.com

Originally Posted by msisaac
...brushless wash.

...i tried out the brushless wash the other day after a 1000mi road trip and i was pretty impressed... most everything was beautiful, even the rims and exhaust tips... the only thing it missed was about 10% of the bugs splattered near my liscense plate and those were a pain cleaning by hand...
Old 08-09-2004, 10:20 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The 04 TL is not carwash safe

I took my 04 TL to an automatic carwash recently. The kind that pulls the car thru a series of moving strips of cloth (or something). It claims to be "safe and scratchless". It managed to scratch 3 of 4 wheels and I had to pay to have the scratches fixed..The carwash guy acted like an ass and the company denied responsibility. I filed a complaint against the company with the state of Florida (let the professionals sort it out). Maybe some carwashes are safe for your TL but not all. I will hand wash the car in the future.
:wtf: