Sponsored by:

TL and baby (car) seat

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 06:40 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL and baby (car) seat

Here's a topic for us old farts.

I've been reading for a while now and finally decided to post. Finally, I've decided to get of my wife's 2002 Jetta 1.8T, mainly because it's a piece of crap and is constantly breaking (you guys that complain about TL niggles should drive this thing for a month...), but also because the car seat that we've purchased for our new baby doesn't fit. To wit, I've decided to purchase a 2004 (not waiting for the 2005) TL, silver, quartz, 6-speed and navi to replace the Jetta. But I have a question first.

Do any of you put car seats in the back of your TL? How is the fit? Do any of you have pictures?

What about strollers in the trunk? Ok fit as well?

Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:10 AM
User Registered

I don't own a stroller or a baby seat (need a baby for that). However, returning to my car last night from Target, a SSM TL parked next to me and the owner was a woman with her baby. She had a baby seat mounted in the back (baby intact) and was pulling the stroller out of her trunk. I thought it was kind of a big stroller (hood, off-road looking wheels, etc.) to be using, especially since I wasn't sure how she was going to shop with it (cart and all).

Didn't think much of it after that, but maybe it was meant to be. Just so I could experience it just for you.

Oh yeah, she complimented on my car. I wonder why?

Hope that helps.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:23 AM
3rd Gear

LATCH works really well

I've got a 5-month old daughter and she's the reason I got a new car. I previously had a 2001 New Passat which, in addition to all the reliability issues (sounds like neither of us will ever buy a VW again!), didn't have LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren). The TL does have LATCH, which is a very good thing. So it's built with car seats in mind. We've got a Graco Snug Ride--I think that's what it's called--and the base fits well, even with the seats back pretty far (I'm 6'2", 225, and the back of my seat doesn't hit her car seat when I'm driving).

Saturday night baby, wife and I went out for dinner with my parents. My dad's pushing 3 bills, and he sat in the back seat behind my wife, who gets car sick if she doesn't sit in the front. Dad claimed he wasn't uncomfortable at all, and he didn't really look cramped either. I know I'm comfortable when I sit in the back seat with the baby. It's definitely a lot more spacious than my Passat was, and a Passat is bigger than a Jetta, so there you are.

The trunk is plenty big for the stroller when folded up. Just to make sure, take it along for the test ride.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:27 AM
10th Gear

That is awesome news. We've got the Graco, too. We're taking it tonight for the final test at the dealer.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:29 AM
Peach Tea

the VW is terrible? wait till the roof caves in on ur 04 tl.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:50 AM
6th Gear

I'm an expecting father next month and I have a 2004 TL and also just got a Graco stroller/car seat.
I did not have any problems fitting the stroller in the trunk but I haven't yet tried the car seat. However, I did find a neat little car seat protector (leather pad for about $15-$20). You put this under the baby's car seat to protect that soft Acura leather!
Old 08-09-2004, 08:57 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by badazzTL
the VW is terrible? wait till the roof caves in on ur 04 tl.

roof caves in? What is this all about?
Old 08-09-2004, 09:00 AM
Peach Tea

Originally Posted by firmie
roof caves in? What is this all about?
the headliner fell on some ppl's 04 TL
Old 08-09-2004, 09:01 AM
Intermediate

Have a LATCH Britax Marathon. Fits great. My son loves that car seat. I have a towel underneath the seat to protect the leather.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:02 AM
Team Anthracite Member

I have the Britax Advantage in the middle, and it's a little snug in the back but not too bad. Then again the Britax seats are a large seat to begin with. Have a Peg Perago umbrella stroller and it doesn't quit fit sideway's in the boot, so carrying a lot of stuff may end up being a problem, but that's why we have the Pilot, for more family orientated events. Anyway, next Feb there will be 2 car seats in back, so carrying additional poeple in the TL will be a no go anyway.

Bunyip
Old 08-09-2004, 11:08 AM
TL hacker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by badazzTL
the headliner fell on some ppl's 04 TL
Mine did. But is that really as bad as the VW's reliability issues? Nope!
Old 08-09-2004, 08:59 PM
Racer

Most cars seats will not be a problem in the TL. I have 2 in mine - a Graco something or other for my oldest daughter (facing forward), and a Peg Perego for my youngest (rear-facing). Both fit fine and both driver and passenger have their seats where they want them. The only problem is that my oldest daughter can reach my seat to kick it.

Trunk space will always be a problem no matter what size car you have - you just need to figure out what you absolutely need and be a good packer. I recently went on a weekend trip and fit 2 strollers (one full-size Peg Perego, another umbrella style), a Pack n Play, diaper bags, beach gear, a cooler, and essentials for 4 in the trunk. My wife had a little extra room to fit her shopping items, but not much.

What a pathetic thread, huh?
Old 08-09-2004, 09:43 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

I've got a 6 year old and a 3 year old. Be forewarned that the Latch compatible baby/infant seats will work wonderfully but booster seats are a different story.

The TL's seatbelt design has the following characteristics in the rear seat:

1. Biggest issue I have with the entire car: The gap in the plate (the part you hold in your hand and ultimately snap in the buckle) that allows the belt to travel freely is way, way, way too narrow. As a result, you constantly have to tug at the belt to thread it through the plate. Even worse, once you've done this and the plate is secure in the buckle, it's time to give it a pull and ensure that it's tight around Junior's waist. Problem is that the tight plate gap instantly swallows the belt.....you need to reach down deep in the seat crease to jiggle the belt free and then give that final pull to make it tight around Junior's hips. Sounds insignificant, but try this twice a day with two kids and you'll be cursing. Loudly.

2. The lower portion of the belt gets a 50% twist in it when you extend it to the buckle. It's normal vs other cars, but for some reason it's more pronounced in the TL and you need to double-check that its really not twisted.

3. The TL's leather is a bit stretchy compared to other Honda products I've owned. You 100% need to get the Prince Lionheart seat protectors so that you don't have permanent shriveling once baby's out of the car. Here's a link.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/netkidsw...poohincar.html

Good luck. If someone's working on a seatbelt plate gap mod, let me know.

BJ
Old 08-09-2004, 10:03 PM
GÜNnµ ¡Ï

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well i dont have a baby yet, but i got nieces, nephew, and little cousins...

So this past saturday, we went off to shop for toys, and candy for my 3 year old to be niece. so this is how we went in my car...

I drove, mother passenger, niece in her baby seat far right rear, sister in the middle rear, nephew between her legs, and dad far left. So 6 in total. Then i have my trunk empty, with cargo tray(GOOD GIFT FROM DEALER) really usefull when it comes to dirt and wet things .. so back to trunk.. we filled it up with huge bags with toys and all.. then mother goes.."remember we need to stop by BrandSmart to get my radio.." I was hmmm. damn. no more space in trunk. But hey.. we got the radio. We got a Sharp 300 watt boom box, those silver ones that look all futurestic..You know those boxes are at least 2 feet x 3 feet by 1.5 feet. kinda big box. So we took all the stuff out the trunk, put the radio first, then on top sliding to rear some toys, on sides and front. TRUNK PACKED!!! my mother had to bring one bag with her in passenger.

And the only thing that got complained on.. was my nephew's balls were getting frozen from the A/C console in the rear middle. haahhaha.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:32 PM
Pro

Usually, our two car seats (2.5 year old and 8 month old) are with my wife in the Highlander. Occasionally, though, they make their way into the TL. No problems. I have a Graco and Britax. If you're going to have the seats in for any length of time, I would definitely recommend protecting the TL's leather with a towel or something.
Old 08-09-2004, 11:10 PM
Intermediate

The Britax Runabout and Graco SnugRide btw are the two top rated car seats last year in their class (Convertible and Infant)... (consumer reports) - you should have no problems with the Graco and given someone already found a way to fit the Britax you should have no problems with it either... warning on the Britax Runabout (Heritage is same size) - A) It sucks for newborns (too big) and B) Wouldnt recommend it until baby can seat forward as rear facing mode makes for a very awkward arrangement (the bucket seats dont work too well with this seat in rearfacing mode) - Now for forward facing the seat rocks! Once in the car facing forward it really fits very well...

Forgot on test drive if the TL has the rear anchor points but if it does then the Britax should fit rather nicely albeit it will take a lot of room (they are big)
Old 08-09-2004, 11:56 PM
Racer

Bingo,
this is actually a thread that I am glad that someone came up with. I am planning on purchasing a TL in the next few months and I currently have a 3year old forward facing (of course) and a 3 month old infant rear facing. Thanks for the info everyone.

Does anyone have a picture of their TL with a car seat or even better yet with 2 car seats in the back? I would greatly apreciate it.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:43 AM
10th Gear

Some great responses. Thanks, all.

P.S. I can't belive I started this thread. It didn't seem like too ago that I was thinking about two seat convertibles.
Old 08-10-2004, 05:48 AM
Racer

Just bought a new Eddie bouer for the new Redondo Red/ Parcment. The Seat is tan with balck and tan checkered and maroon pinstriping, matches the car perfectly and also has the LATCH system. I mounted it in the center with athree towels under it and one behind, to raise and protect. As a firefighter, I say put your kids in the middle!!!! Much safer and they can see out the front real good.
Old 08-10-2004, 07:44 AM
Pug
Team Camel, VP for Zaino

Make sure you parents have the car seat installed properly ! It has to be tight, almost like it's part of the seat - there shouldn't be any play at all.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:20 AM
Kelnshe

I have some sort of Graco car seat in mine for my 16 month old, and it works great. With the LATCH tethers, it was very easy, as it took me all of 5-10 minutes to install and adjust. The car seat that we have for my wife's car is a freaking nightmare (pre-LATCH tethers) and I had to take the car to the local fire department to have them install it. I will say this - it is MUCH easier to install a front-facing seat in the TL than a rear-facing one. Good luck!
Old 08-10-2004, 08:43 AM
Advanced

HEY .. search on xboylive post or 1st ROAD TRIP ON 19s in the Silver TL (score 8 out 10).. I got 2 KIDS....
also .. I have a regular GRACO seat , I just sent it to the shop to have it covered in leather to match my interior of my ACURA. I will post some pictures once it gets back .. .... seeing how much ACURA logo will cost me .. added into the leather as well ....
Old 08-10-2004, 09:12 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by zgrabill
Here's a topic for us old farts.

I've been reading for a while now and finally decided to post. Finally, I've decided to get of my wife's 2002 Jetta 1.8T, mainly because it's a piece of crap and is constantly breaking (you guys that complain about TL niggles should drive this thing for a month...), but also because the car seat that we've purchased for our new baby doesn't fit. To wit, I've decided to purchase a 2004 (not waiting for the 2005) TL, silver, quartz, 6-speed and navi to replace the Jetta. But I have a question first.

Do any of you put car seats in the back of your TL? How is the fit? Do any of you have pictures?

What about strollers in the trunk? Ok fit as well?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Another thread...

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83594
Old 08-10-2004, 10:26 AM
8th Gear

I have a booster seat and a forward facing child seat in the back of my TL. I found they fit better after removing the rear headrests. Visibility is improved too.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:39 AM
Advanced

I have a Britax, too, and I use it in the middle, and it fits fine.
Old 08-10-2004, 04:43 PM
Racer

I have put two seats in my car. I put the driver's seat all the way back, and tilt the seat back a little bit in order to drive comfortably. I normally only have one seat in the car, my son's front facing seat on the passenger side. My daughter's rear facing seat *did* go behind the driver's seat....

Bottom line is that we don't use my car with two kids seats because when I put my seat all the way back, the seat back pushes the front facing seat up. If the seats were to be reversed, my son's knees would touch his chin. The same thing happens when we change the configuration to one seat in the middle and one on the passenger's side. Consequently, we do not use my TL on family trips, we take the sports ute... Too bad because the TL gets much better gas mileage and is a better driving vehicle.
Old 08-10-2004, 08:26 PM
User Registered

Now I know to get Graco or Britax.

Wait... gotta get some kids first.

Old 03-29-2007, 07:08 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by TripleMax
I'm an expecting father next month and I have a 2004 TL and also just got a Graco stroller/car seat.
I did not have any problems fitting the stroller in the trunk but I haven't yet tried the car seat. However, I did find a neat little car seat protector (leather pad for about $15-$20). You put this under the baby's car seat to protect that soft Acura leather!
Where did you find this protective leather?
Old 03-29-2007, 09:10 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Pcorea
Where did you find this protective leather?
Baby's R' Us... like he said about $20 dollars... best investment...
Old 03-29-2007, 09:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i just use a towel, and keep it behind the car seat
Old 03-29-2007, 09:42 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rodneyc77
Baby's R' Us... like he said about $20 dollars... best investment...
My wife has two on the baby gift registry for our cars. One tan for the TL and one black for the Infiniti FX. Now just waiting for someone to buy it!
Old 03-29-2007, 05:22 PM
07 NBP TL-S

What about something like this???

http://www.amazon.com/Two-Stage-Car-...335981-3609532

It's about the same price plus it has the lip on the bottom that may be good for spills/dropped funk. I'm glad this thread resurfaced; my wife is due in early September.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
my wife is 7 months pregnant with our first and we finally pulled the trigger this weekend and bought the britax marathon. i was really surprised when I found this thread- thanks to all for responding.

i was wondering and i know this is a little OT and i'm sorry for the hijack but what kind of stroller and crib do you guys have/use?
Old 04-01-2007, 09:20 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Good use of search and good thread resurrection and congrats!!

m/f? have a name yet?
Old 04-01-2007, 09:45 PM
Senior Moderator

thanks bro. we're having a girl or that's what the tech told us- but she wasnt really sure?!?!?
still sifting through names. i'm still trying to get a handle on what the big ticket items are that i need other than the car seat.
Old 04-02-2007, 01:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ggesq
i was wondering and i know this is a little OT and i'm sorry for the hijack but what kind of stroller and crib do you guys have/use?
My wife wanted some expensive stroller made by Kate Spade. We lucked out since the in-laws said they would get it for her and it is not coming out of my pocket.

The crib we purchased from a place called Crib-For-Life. It is one of those cribs that eventually convert into a full size bed as the child grows up. I forget how much we paid but I do recall it was reasonably priced especially with the materials they used. I want to say the manufacture was called Baby USA but I am not 100% sure.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:31 AM
Advanced

We use the Britax Marathon and it fits fine. I use a blue cloth type tarp for the bottom so that there's no indention/indentation(sp) on the seat itself and a towel behind as well. As for the stroller, we have the Peg Perego P3. It's mid-size and fits just pretty good.

Peg Perego P3: $248.

Matching car seat (that we don't use anymore) : $179.

Britax Marathon: $259.

Knowing your child is safe and having no money for that Sony XBR HD tv.....PRICELESS!

but my wife reminds me, "we are going to Disneyland in September.....sheeesh! LOL
Old 04-03-2007, 08:18 AM
Senior Moderator

thanks guys for your help- i appreciate ya.