TL 2005 sold. BMW 2003 530I bought

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2006, 10:04 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TL 2005 sold. BMW 2003 530I bought

Hi all,

I wanted to share this:
I noticed in my street fresh BMW 530I (2003)
Spoke with the owner and found out that he had Acura TL 2005 with 16000 miles on it.
He liked it (TL), but had some issues with window /doors rattles (I have the same, buy the way) and also he did not feel that TL was really solid car. (All this annoying rattles in TL, etc. He had no mechanical issues.)
So he sold TL (for 27K) and got BMW 2003 530I with 31000 miles for $29000

He took me for a ride on his new car.
BMW handles road better. No rattles at all. (I asked him to go over bumpy roads)
In my opinion TL starts just a little faster from the start, but 530I is really unlimited driving machine.

Quality inside of 530I is much better. Doors are solid. No rattles when you close them.
Only one part he is missing is Bluetooth from TL (BMW in 2003 did not offer such option)
I understand that when this BMW was new it cost ~$45K (TL with Navi is $12K less).
However I fully understand why he made a move.

Please share your opinions if you have any.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:23 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
my opinion is that this thread is flamebait and serves no purpose.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:29 PM
321 whp SAE

BMW..
Old 06-03-2006, 10:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by leedogg
my opinion is that this thread is flamebait and serves no purpose.
You are right. my thread had no purpose.
But who said it must have one?
Old 06-03-2006, 10:32 PM
Tristate ViP Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
THe TL is way more reliable and quicker than bimmer ...
Old 06-03-2006, 10:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CL Platano
THe TL is way more reliable and quicker than bimmer ...
What about all these TL drivers who have a lot of problem with cabin noise, rattles, squeaks etc.
I have all above myself.
I also tested three other TL. All have same problems:
Windows rattles.
Doors rattle.
Small, but annoying squeaks all around.
I am glad if you have none.
Old 06-03-2006, 10:58 PM
How may I help you.....?

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
There were lots of threads about fixs for the various rattles... there wasn't a need to sell the car based on a few squeaks that were fixable... If you like the BMW better then whatever....

Don't really see the point in selling a new car for an older car AND paying more money for it.... thats just me though...
Old 06-03-2006, 11:04 PM
Instructor

There's no question a BMW is probably better built.. They're damn nice cars too! But in the long run (if you plan on keeping a car past the end of warranty, those German cars can get extremly expensive to maintain compared to an Acura or Lexus).. I considered a BMW when purchasing my TL, but I didnt want to have to worry about the maintenance expense on a high mileage european car..
Old 06-03-2006, 11:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by oppnyc
Hi all,

I wanted to share this:
I noticed in my street fresh BMW 530I (2003)
Spoke with the owner and found out that he had Acura TL 2005 with 16000 miles on it.
He liked it (TL), but had some issues with window /doors rattles (I have the same, buy the way) and also he did not feel that TL was really solid car. (All this annoying rattles in TL, etc. He had no mechanical issues.)
So he sold TL (for 27K) and got BMW 2003 530I with 31000 miles for $29000

He took me for a ride on his new car.
BMW handles road better. No rattles at all. (I asked him to go over bumpy roads)
In my opinion TL starts just a little faster from the start, but 530I is really unlimited driving machine.

Quality inside of 530I is much better. Doors are solid. No rattles when you close them.
Only one part he is missing is Bluetooth from TL (BMW in 2003 did not offer such option)
I understand that when this BMW was new it cost ~$45K (TL with Navi is $12K less).
However I fully understand why he made a move.

Please share your opinions if you have any.
Tell your friend to go take a look at the Forbes top 10 highest resale value cars. Oops...what's that not a bimmer in sight!
Old 06-03-2006, 11:12 PM
Instructor

What about all these TL drivers who have a lot of problem with cabin noise, rattles, squeaks etc.
I have all above myself.
I also tested three other TL. All have same problems:
Windows rattles.
Doors rattle.
Small, but annoying squeaks all around.
I am glad if you have none.

If you are so un happy, sell your TL and buy a used bimmer or whatever. I have no issues with my 2004 SSM AT NAV. Its probalbly the best money I have spent on a new car.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:14 PM
OMGWTF4THGENTL

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
What till he gets that first maintenence and/or repair bill...
Old 06-03-2006, 11:20 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Not another one of these threads...

Buy whatever you want. Who the hell cares.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:44 AM
Wants an M3 in

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
water-s???
Old 06-04-2006, 10:11 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jmbnova
There were lots of threads about fixs for the various rattles... there wasn't a need to sell the car based on a few squeaks that were fixable... If you like the BMW better then whatever....

Don't really see the point in selling a new car for an older car AND paying more money for it.... thats just me though...
What fix? Please look in Problems & Fixes section of this forum.
There is NO FIX for these rattles.
TL owners take their cars to the dealers for 1-10 times. 90% were not fixed at all.
Most just do not bother to go back because dealer will do nothing or very little.

Tell me please how to fix the following:

1.Window glass makes light , but very annoying sound when is rolled up. (Glass touches rubber around window frame) . I tried Silicone spray, Armoroll - it works for 2-7 days only.
2.Rattle from behind Navi screen when car goes over the bumps. ???
3.Rattle that appears sometimes from B pillar (inside B pillar) ???
There are multiple squeks inside of the car.
Try this:
push center console with a finger and you will hear that terrible sound I am talking about.
roll driver window down for 30% and close the door. You will hear how bad TL doors are.
That guy sold TL because he likes to drive the car that is strong and has not rattles.
TL is strong, but has a lot of these squeaks.
Even most reviews on www tell you that rattles are main concern in TL 2004+

It is funny to read as some people consider TL is better because it has better re-sale value. To me it sounds like "Ok I drive car every day that rattles, but I can sell it better at the end"
My take is " I would better loose some $ at the end, but I will drive car that has no rattles"
Old 06-04-2006, 12:04 PM
Animal Whisperer

You are right on about the rattles. If I could find another car that did everything the TL did but without the rattles, I'd be game. Since I want Bluetooth and an iPod which is controlled by the H/U as easily and discreetly as it is in the TL, I got the TL. I am one who has had nothing but a slew of rattles coming from all over from a brand new TL, the scratches on the tint are a pain in the ass, and the rattles after having the rattles fixed is a pain.

Despite this, the BMW is not the "unlimited driving machine". It will still break down at some point. Whether or not it is the ultimate driving machine is another story, however. Regardless, if you have the cash and like it better, go for it! If I had the cash and could do it, I'd prefer a Lexus but WITH an iPod interface versus the plain 'ol auxilliary input. I just like having the thing come on when I start the car and remain charged while I'm out and about. I know I could go aftermarket on the setup, but it starts coming back to the integration/cost/asthetics of it. I like BMWs, fwiw. I personally think that if you got it and like it, that's cool.

Rey :)
Old 06-04-2006, 12:37 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
I have two 3G TLs and no rattles: my '04 manual and my wife's '05 automatic. Both are rattle free and both are very solid.

My wife finally got fed up with her '96 BMW 328i and turned it in for her TL. She's much happier as am I. Incidently, the Bimmer racked up over $8300 in abnormal maintenance and repairs in 5 years, 5 months.

German engineering doesn't impress me. In fact, they do some things rather stupidly. This actually cost them seriously in WWII.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:04 PM
acura-cl.com OG

My last car was a 01 BMW X5, and it was sold with 63K miles on it. That car had more rattles than my TL does as of right now. The X5 was CONSTANTLY at the dealership, at least once every month and a half. i had the CPO warranty which had a $50 deductable and 50-75% of my needed repairs were NOT covered under this warranty. I decided i wanted something reliable and with decent performace, and didn't want to pay more for the BMW. The only way to buy a BMW is brand new, your warranty is EVERYTHING even wear and tear items for the first 4 years. Otherwise, set up a separate savings account for the car's repairs, your gonna need it.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:05 PM
mio
Police

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

ps: trade TL for 530I? 2 words: bad investor...
Old 06-04-2006, 01:09 PM
Intermediate

"but 530I is really unlimited driving machine"

WTF is that?
Old 06-04-2006, 01:30 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
I have two 3G TLs and no rattles: my '04 manual and my wife's '05 automatic. Both are rattle free and both are very solid.

My wife finally got fed up with her '96 BMW 328i and turned it in for her TL. She's much happier as am I. Incidently, the Bimmer racked up over $8300 in abnormal maintenance and repairs in 5 years, 5 months.

German engineering doesn't impress me. In fact, they do some things rather stupidly. This actually cost them seriously in WWII.
However, the newer BMWs have free maintenance for 4 yrs/50,000 miles and you can purchase the 6 yrs/100,000 anytime during the 4/50,000 for $985.
So your total maintenace costs at the end of 4 years or 50,000 miles is zero dollars.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Owners/Owners_...s/Warranty.htm

I spent some time on BMW's website and build my own 330i trying to keep the options close to the TL w/Navi, trunk tray, and rubber mats. A new 330i is going to cost roughly $6k - $7k more than the TL w/Navi.

The 530i is going to cost roughly $16k - $17k more than the TL w/Navi.

I am not pro BMW or Acura. Buy what you like and buy what you are willing to spend on a car.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Carl Spackler

WTF is that?

As thier cars become less "driver's" cars with the intro of i-drive, variable ratio steering, larger cupholders, etc. etc. etc....they had to rethink the "ultimate" part of their slogan...they decided on "unlimited" because it actually means nothing coherent and the few people who try to "decipher" it shouldn't be buying BMW's anyway.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:50 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Carl Spackler

WTF is that?
530I sticks to the road and driver feels its power.
TL is good also, but not as good as BMW.
Note:
I do not own BMW.
I own TL.
Old 06-04-2006, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by A_UFO
However, the newer BMWs have free maintenance for 4 yrs/50,000 miles and you can purchase the 6 yrs/100,000 anytime during the 4/50,000 for $985.
So your total maintenace costs at the end of 4 years or 50,000 miles is zero dollars.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Owners/Owners_...s/Warranty.htm

I spent some time on BMW's website and build my own 330i trying to keep the options close to the TL w/Navi, trunk tray, and rubber mats. A new 330i is going to cost roughly $6k - $7k more than the TL w/Navi.

The 530i is going to cost roughly $16k - $17k more than the TL w/Navi.

I am not pro BMW or Acura. Buy what you like and buy what you are willing to spend on a car.
"Buy what you like and buy what you are willing to spend on a car."

My friend, I couldn't agree more with this statement. You and I are in complete agreement with this.

In the final analysis, it's the buyer's money and the buyer's decision to take. They and they alone, are all that matters in their choice (unless they chose to include someone else in the decision).
Old 06-04-2006, 02:19 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
notes:

quit crying here and go buy a BMW.

The fact that you said unlimited when the actual slogan is 'ultimate' completely went over your head.

I have one rattle in my window because the blade vibrates. I will install moleskin and the rattle (actually a vibration) will go away, so yes there are fixes.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:02 PM
Doctor Sarcasm

My brother in law owns a European car shop called Eurocar in Atlanta. The average repair bill is over 2k.

I owned a NEW M3. It spent more time in the shop for electrical problems than I got to drive it.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:34 PM
How may I help you.....?

TL owners take their cars to the dealers for 1-10 times. 90% were not fixed at all.
Most just do not bother to go back because dealer will do nothing or very little.

Tell me please how to fix the following:

1.Window glass makes light , but very annoying sound when is rolled up. (Glass touches rubber around window frame) . I tried Silicone spray, Armoroll - it works for 2-7 days only.
2.Rattle from behind Navi screen when car goes over the bumps. ???
3.Rattle that appears sometimes from B pillar (inside B pillar) ???
There are multiple squeks inside of the car.
Try this:
push center console with a finger and you will hear that terrible sound I am talking about.
roll driver window down for 30% and close the door. You will hear how bad TL doors are.
That guy sold TL because he likes to drive the car that is strong and has not rattles.
TL is strong, but has a lot of these squeaks.
Even most reviews on www tell you that rattles are main concern in TL 2004+

It is funny to read as some people consider TL is better because it has better re-sale value. To me it sounds like "Ok I drive car every day that rattles, but I can sell it better at the end"
My take is " I would better loose some $ at the end, but I will drive car that has no rattles"
Ummm... heres a simple fix... buy a 2005.... rattles were fixed...

(is this a hard concept to follow? If so I can explain further as to why a 2005 TL > 2003 BMW) Just let me know if you need an education..
Old 06-04-2006, 06:51 PM
Instructor

I am not a Bimmer basher, as a matter of fact May 2003 I was an inch away from buying a 330Ci when I was stationed in Germany(GI's pay less because we don't pay the tax, luxury charge, or destination charges). I didn't pull the trigger because my buddy bought the 325Xiand took delivery on a Wednesday afternoon. On Thursday he was on the autobahn on his way home to Kaiserslautern and smelled smoke. He pulled over and looked under his hood to find a small electrical fire, less that 100 miles on the car. The next week my brigade commander took delivery of his white 2003 X5 and took his wife to a local bistro when she noticed what she thought was steam coming from the car. It was smoke, BMW recalled all the new cars for some fuel sensor switch that was causing this.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:19 PM
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 40 Posts
My mom has a 2001 530i. Which should be the same. It drives amazingly, but the tires are loud, her back door rattles, her cupholders broke, the buttons crack, the headlights are pretty dim (maybe the '03 has xenons though), the sound system is garbage, and the dash is just stark and old school. I love driving her car, but I dont think I could ever live with it. And she bought it new, and it has fewer miles on it than my 2002 TL Type-S that never gives me any troubles. But its easily justifiable when you drive it hard. good luck with that one.

And for the record, I, too am not a bmw basher. In fact, I plan to sell my TL for a E92 335 within the next year.
Old 06-04-2006, 07:38 PM
I drive a Subata.

Received 2,603 Likes on 1,571 Posts
My TL has no rattles at all. . . . .

2005 year car to 2003 year car? hmmm......
Old 06-04-2006, 08:01 PM
Burning Brakes

German cars can have loads of problems, my 2003 passat was a REAL mess.
They are great cars, better steel, leather, handling, paint, but they have serious problems with the electrical stuff, including fuel pumps, air pumps, temp sensors, evap solonoids, abs ecu's, etc.
Parts can be real expensive, as can labor charges.

Great cars, but there is a price to be paid besides the high initial price....

Brett
Old 06-04-2006, 08:05 PM
How may I help you.....?

Originally Posted by JS + TL
My TL has no rattles at all. . . . .

2005 year car to 2003 year car? hmmm......
Old 06-05-2006, 12:48 AM
Sweet As Hell

I personally feel German engineering is second to none. However, I have a 2003 Boxster S, and 2006 X5, and both have very plain, uncomfortable interiors. The seats are very stiff, and the leather in the BMW is rough and very uncomfortable on long drives. My 2005 TL is the perfect car for long trips or everyday driving. The interior has soft seats, and a unique layout. It may fall far below the handling capabilties of a German car, but in my opinion it wouldn't be worth trading in for a BMW because of a few rattles.
Old 06-05-2006, 01:51 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ErichTL
There's no question a BMW is probably better built.. They're damn nice cars too! But in the long run (if you plan on keeping a car past the end of warranty, those German cars can get extremly expensive to maintain compared to an Acura or Lexus).. I considered a BMW when purchasing my TL, but I didnt want to have to worry about the maintenance expense on a high mileage european car..

100% agree damn right