3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tinting Question - 3G Garage #K-013

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 12:42 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ok, well, sorry the pics are not nearly as good as I hoped - if only somebody else was taking the pics. Anyways here we go:

First, there is a cover behind the door handle that covers two screws. You need a small screwdriver (flat head) to take the cover off. Then unscrew the two screws behind it.

Then, underneath the door handle (above the side pocket) there is a hole and a screw in there that needs to be unscrewed - phillips.

Then there is a rubber stopper with a screw on the left side of the door. Unscrew it

Then you need to pull off the door panel itself. There are several door pins along the entire door. I found it easiest to start pulling (and it will take a little bit of force) on the right side of the vinyl door panel - closest to the steering wheel.

Then when you have all the pins out, you should be able to slide the door panel UP and over the door lock.

Once you have it out, you do NOT need to disconnect the wires, as you can see in this picture I circled the hole where one of the door pins was. IF any of the door pins are still in the door and not in the door panel, you need to get something like needle nose to pull it out and slide it back into the door panel.

The next two pictures show (circled) the door pins that are in the door panel. There are a few on the left and right side, and a couple on the bottom.

The next four pics show the piece which we are going to apply the mole skin to. It takes almost no effort to pull this out. It should just slide out.

This quicktime video shows the piece coming out and shows the moleskin already applied to the piece.
http://www.acurakid.com/042505/P1010031.MOV

This shows the door panel back on and the mole skin installed. To put the door panel on, you simply slide the door panel back over the door lock and push down. Then when thats in, just push the sides in (so the pins lock in place).

This picutre shows the pc with the mole skin installed. The blue circle is over the "lower" blade and the red is over the "upper blade" it is one single pc of moleskin going over both. When you pull apart the door, you will be able to understand this much better.

Old 04-28-2005, 01:04 PM
I'm Baaack!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
vikram - nice work !!!!

I couldn't bring myself to watching the quicktime video .. just on principle alone

Wayyyy too much time on your hands pal.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:15 PM
Suzuka Master

lol. Not enough time on my hands. Quicktime video is only 10 seconds or so
Old 04-28-2005, 03:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
with Brewmaster, very informative post for removing door panels for moleskin install. Now there shouldn't be any excuse for not using moleskin. Excellent job!
Old 04-28-2005, 05:43 PM
10th Gear

Very well done Vik!

This may very well set the standard for the "how-to-step-by-step instruction" threads. What does it say about me that I watched the video 4 times and I already have the moleskin installed?
Old 04-28-2005, 09:21 PM
Cruisin'

Vikrampatel...excellent job! I was waiting to see these photos before attempting the install. I bought the moleskin yesterday, and now I feel better about giving it a try myself. Another option in the included instructions is to cut the moleskin in half (lengthwise), and apply it to each separate blade, as opposed to covering both blades with just one uncut piece, as you did. Anyone see one way being better than the other...is it better to have two separate blades with the moleskin, as opposed to just one larger blade? Thanks!!
Old 04-28-2005, 09:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Glad it will help guys. Gr8Cruiser - personally not sure about which option is better (in terms of cutting it in half or not) but I like the spin arount the inside of your TL.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Gr8Cruiser
...is it better to have two separate blades with the moleskin, as opposed to just one larger blade? Thanks!!
I put one piece on. At the time, I didn't know two pieces was an option. If I did it again, I might go with two pieces. Then they could work independent of each other. But they are redundant systems. What the first one misses, the second one will get.

You can visualize a little particle of hard dirt or sand getting wedged in between the hard rubber wiper and the tint film: scratch. The moleskin gives a cushion where those hard particles can burrow in and, hopefully, get cleaned off at some time. It won't guarantee no scratches because one or two guys here said they got scratches with moleskin. But it sure improves your chances.

I'm thinking the worst case scenario is driving in the desert with the windows half down and no moleskin.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:41 AM
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks Vikram...this really helps!! Mods we might want to put this in the 3G TL Garage
Old 05-12-2006, 06:06 PM
Race Director

Why Cant Acura Just put the Navigation Antenna behind the navigation somewhere in the front, like some other cars like Infiniti G35 so there would be no tint problem
Old 05-14-2006, 11:54 AM
I'm Baaack!

Originally Posted by Raheel
Why Cant Acura Just put the Navigation Antenna behind the navigation somewhere in the front, like some other cars like Infiniti G35 so there would be no tint problem
Maybe to give you something important enough to complain about that you ressurrected a year old thread??

Old 05-14-2006, 04:46 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by Brewmaster
Maybe to give you something important enough to complain about that you ressurrected a year old thread??

A worthy resurrection. I was looking for pics + diy on removing the door. nice.
Old 07-15-2006, 11:28 AM
'16 FBP Advance FWD

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Xpditor
I should state again for this thread that our TL's are factory tinted at 75%. Anything you add must be factored in.

The factory tint allows 75% of the light to pass. If you add 30% tint, it will only pass 30% of the 75% or about 25% total effect. This is not exact, however. I checked mine with a police tint meter before and after. It didn't work out exactly but close enough for gov't work.
Just wondering where this information comes from; is it from your measurement or from some Acura documentation. I was thinking about tinting my TL to the CA legal limit, which is 70% for the front windows. If it's already 75%, then I'm looking at a 93% tint?
Old 07-16-2006, 12:20 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by kfhughes
Just wondering where this information comes from; is it from your measurement or from some Acura documentation. I was thinking about tinting my TL to the CA legal limit, which is 70% for the front windows. If it's already 75%, then I'm looking at a 93% tint?
As I stated, it was directly measured by me with a police tint meter both before and after I tinted.

I have not found any Acura documentation as to the exact percent but the factory tint is very visible if you put a piece of white paper behind a half open window.

It allows 75% of the light to pass through the glass.

I think if you get 70% tint for your fronts and keep the receipt to show the Chippie, you should be OK and then make the rears darker. They're not going to pay much attention unless they cannot see you from the outside. That's what torques their curly tails.
Old 09-02-2006, 07:44 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hawhyen51
1. No, Huper Optik has a ceramic tint. You can also use 3M - It's dyed, color stable and warranted against fading.
2. The use of metallic or non-metallic film has been discussed on so many threads. Some say it had little or no effect on GPS reception while others have said it did. All I can tell you is what the manufacturer recommends - ceramic film.
3. Geographically, the cost will vary among installers. The brand and type of film used is another consideration. Ceramic film is more expensive than metallic or dyed. HO will be more expensive that F1 Pinnacle.

As far as testing for scratching, I guess it's a good idea and it wouldn't hurt. If the shop is willing to go that far to get your business, go for it. Do a search on moleskin and you'll find it is by far the most cost effective way to prevent scratching and it works.
Can't you just roll down your window to regain the lost gps reception? or it doesn't work like that?
Old 09-05-2006, 10:14 AM
Instructor

It doesn't really work like that. The GPS sensor is under the back dash, sort of by the subwoofer unit. So the only tint that is really messing with the antenna very much is the back window and that would be hard to get out of the way.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:45 AM
Gets bored easily

My roommate just got her TL tinted, and they cut off the stock rubber inside "wipers" w/o asking. The shop is now going to pay for Acura to install new ones, but I'm wondering - do you need the stock pieces on there for the moleskin to attach to? I assume so, but I want to make sure before I order the 'skin, have the dealer reinstall, then tear everything apart. I may just try to have the dealer install the 'skin at the same time...
Old 09-08-2006, 10:53 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 87MustangGT
My roommate just got her TL tinted, and they cut off the stock rubber inside "wipers" w/o asking. The shop is now going to pay for Acura to install new ones, but I'm wondering - do you need the stock pieces on there for the moleskin to attach to? I assume so, but I want to make sure before I order the 'skin, have the dealer reinstall, then tear everything apart. I may just try to have the dealer install the 'skin at the same time...
Welcome to Acurazine.com and to the 3G TL forum.

The moleskin, which you can get through here from flnsx who is a member and vendor, is self-sticking and easy to apply to the wipers. You can apply the entire width to both wipers at the same time or cut it lengthwise and apply to each wiper separately. If the dealer has the door panels off (he will), just ask him to add your moleskin. It shouldn't add any more time to his labor charges.

No sense taking the door panels off twice if you can do it once.
Old 04-04-2007, 09:53 AM
Banned

Hey guys! You can purchase the moleskin below.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:45 PM
Racer

Has anyone posted the installation instructions from tintprotectors for both options?
I would like to read them before making the purchase.
A DIY guide I read here had some pictures, but I'm still not exactly sure where on the rubber strip the two pieces of felt would be attached.

Also, anybody have any thoughts about what the dealer would say/do if you have installed the felt and at a later time your car developed a window/door rattle and you took in in for service?
Think the dealer would try to blame you taking the panel off as a reason for the rattle/noise etc.?