Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tint scratched

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 10:55 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tint scratched

Well, I called my tint guy Saturday and informed him about tinted windows being scratched when rolling down. He insisted that I don't need felt for my car. As soon as 4 days passed, I rolled my windows down and yup, it's scratched. This is really upsetting.

My question is, does anybody know who would do a good job installing felt strip in 04 TL in Orange County/South Bay (Los Angeles County) area? I don't think my tint guy ever installed felt strip on '04 TL before. I want to go with someone who had experience with this car. BTW, about how much would it cost?

Any info. would be greatly appreciate it.
Old 01-25-2004, 10:58 PM
Banned

Re: Tint scratched

Originally posted by dtchung

My question is, does anybody know who would do a good job installing felt strip in 04 TL in Orange County/South Bay (Los Angeles County) area?
I can't help you there, but don't forget about the Diamond Tint Film recommendation.

Old 01-25-2004, 11:06 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: Tint scratched

Same promise, probably same disaster. My stupid dealer told me the same thing, it's unnecessary to have felt inside. They have finished dozens of 04TLs without felt. Is it possible some of tint's materials able to get rid of this problem without felt installation?

I believe tons of 04TLs having tints installed, but not everyone has the similar scratching problem.

May I know what's film you had, dtchung?

TO Z Factor,

If you tinted with Diamond Tint Film, do you have felt inside? Do you have any scratch issues so far? Thanks...
Old 01-25-2004, 11:17 PM
Instructor

Same thing happened to me....

Before going through with a $450 Huper tint job, I even printed the post from this forum with the supplier for the moleskin and took it with me to the tint shop. The shop INSISTED that it wasn't necessary, that they'd never had a problem.

And you guessed it. Literally, the first time I rolled down the passenger side window, 2 scratches appeared. I drove back to the installer who said that I should take it to the Acura dealer, that the car should have already had a felt strip, and since it had nothing to do with their installation, the fix would be out of my pocket, AND I'd have to order the moleskin myself and bring it to them for installation.

Needless to say, this saga isn't yet over.....
Old 01-25-2004, 11:59 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: Tint scratched

Originally posted by rets

I believe tons of 04TLs having tints installed, but not everyone has the similar scratching problem.

May I know what's film you had, dtchung?
It was Llumar Titanium.

For those of you got the felt installed, any problems? I really hate the idea of them taking my door panels off. I think I rather have the Acura dealer install it, even if I have to pay extra.

Again, anyone know reputable place who can install felt around O.C. or SouthBay (L.A. County) area? Thanks.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:32 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Tint scratched

Originally posted by rets

TO Z Factor,

If you tinted with Diamond Tint Film, do you have felt inside? Do you have any scratch issues so far? Thanks...
No felt/moleskin, and no scratches so far.

However, unlike others who are at the mercy of the tint shop who will probably try to get out of re-tinting on their dime, I'm covered if mine gets the scratch marks because of the warranty.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:12 AM
10th Gear

Re: Re: Re: Tint scratched

anyone know reputable place who can install felt around O.C. or SouthBay (L.A. County) area? Thanks.
I recommend A-1 Doctor Tint (310) 835-6770 in Carson off Avalon Blvd. They been around for over 10 years and all of my cars been tinted by them.

They tinted my TL all the way around plus installed felt liners for $240

They also do great job on removing old tint from the back windows with defogger lines. I had a Mercedes which was tinted by some other place (which is gone now) and the tint bubble up all over the back window major time. A-1 removed all the tint (back and 4 doors) and retinted the whole thing in 4 hrs and only cost me $300
Old 01-26-2004, 11:15 AM
Newbie for Life

Received 11 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Tint scratched

Originally posted by flouie
I had a Mercedes which was tinted by some other place (which is gone now) and the tint bubble up all over the back window major time. A-1 removed all the tint (back and 4 doors) and retinted the whole thing in 4 hrs and only cost me $300
That's a really good price!! Most tint shops won't touch a car that's previously been tinted with the back window having the defroster on it - too much of a liability if they cut into one of the defroster lines. Or they'll do it but will disclaim any thing they do that will mess up your defroster.
Old 01-26-2004, 11:20 AM
Racer

flouie

What type of film did A-1 Doctor Tint install for you?
Old 01-26-2004, 11:42 AM
10th Gear

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tint scratched

Originally posted by tripp11
That's a really good price!! Most tint shops won't touch a car that's previously been tinted with the back window having the defroster on it - too much of a liability if they cut into one of the defroster lines. Or they'll do it but will disclaim any thing they do that will mess up your defroster.
Yeah you're right most shops won't touch a previously tinted back window. But these guys appearently have done enough of them that they feel comfortable removing it.

Originally posted by kona
What type of film did A-1 Doctor Tint install for you?
They used Llumar (non-metallic) on mine. They also carry Madico (non-metallic)
Old 01-26-2004, 01:21 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by flouie
I recommend A-1 Doctor Tint (310) 835-6770 in Carson off Avalon Blvd. They been around for over 10 years and all of my cars been tinted by them.
Flouie,

Thanks for this info. I called them and I'm very impressed with their customer service. I should've taken it to them in a first place. I think I'll get the felts installed by them. Thanks.
Old 01-26-2004, 03:29 PM
Instructor

Does anyone have a picture of an installed felt for tinted windows? I just went to the tint shop and saw one installed on 04 TL. It looked rather thick, about 1/4" thick. Is this normal? Won't that put a extra stress on the motor?
Old 01-27-2004, 08:43 PM
Instructor

I just got a felt put in today. It's completely exposed and you can actually see the felt. Does this sound right? Anybody have a picture of it, so that I may make some comparison? TIA.
Old 01-28-2004, 12:39 AM
Does anyone read this

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Here you go.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:29 AM
Advanced

Re: Re: Re: Tint scratched

Originally posted by Z Factor
No felt/moleskin, and no scratches so far.
I second that. I have rolled them up and down several times already. They have no scratches whatsoever.
Old 01-28-2004, 10:33 AM
Racer

we used 3m windows tint on my car and havent any issues with it scratching and i roll the windows up and down all day long..
Old 01-28-2004, 11:32 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Donte99TL
Here you go.
Thanks Dante for that picture. It looks as though my tint shop install the felt without removing the door panel and cut off the excess. The result is cut up weather stripping. They didn't cut the whole thing, but some parts of stripping is badly cut. This is really irritating. Thanks again for your post.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:34 AM
Newbie for Life

Thanks Dante for that picture. It looks as though my tint shop install the felt without removing the door panel and cut off the excess. The result is cut up weather stripping. They didn't cut the whole thing, but some parts of stripping is badly cut. This is really irritating. Thanks again for your post.
Man, dtchung, you've had some serious bad luck relative to your tint.....hope things clear up for you soon!!
Old 01-28-2004, 11:49 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by tripp11
Man, dtchung, you've had some serious bad luck relative to your tint.....hope things clear up for you soon!!
Yeah, tell me about it. This is my 4th car, and I never had problems with tinting before. If I've know it was going to be like this, I would've never tinted the windows.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:13 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by emendez
I second that. I have rolled them up and down several times already. They have no scratches whatsoever.
2 months, no felt, no scratches, I've rolled my windows up & down hundreds of times.
Old 01-28-2004, 03:16 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tint scratched

Originally posted by jayhawk
2 months, no felt, no scratches, I've rolled my windows up & down hundreds of times.
What kind of film do you have?
Old 01-28-2004, 08:29 PM
Advanced

madico non-metallic 20%
Old 01-28-2004, 09:37 PM
Newbie for Life

Originally posted by jayhawk
madico non-metallic 20%
Jayhawk - Who installed your tint? Plus, how much did you pay? Any complaints? I get my TL next week and am looking to install the Madico tint and was wondering if you could provide details.

Thanks!!!
Old 01-28-2004, 10:35 PM
Racer

I got my windows (rear 5 only) tinted about 10 days ago, but didn't roll the rear down yet as the weather has been pretty cool here.

Question for those with scratches: is the scratch on the front window, rear window or both? I didn't tint the front (driver & passenger) because it amounts to a hefty fine here in Ca. I heard that the cops don't specifically pull anyone over for the tints, but they add on when you get pulled over for other traffic violations (speeding for example). Please chime in.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:01 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by casooner90
Question for those with scratches: is the scratch on the front window, rear window or both? I didn't tint the front (driver & passenger) because it amounts to a hefty fine here in Ca. I heard that the cops don't specifically pull anyone over for the tints, but they add on when you get pulled over for other traffic violations (speeding for example). Please chime in.
For my case, it's only been the front, but the consenses tells us that it's both. There are weather stripping on all four doors.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:48 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by jimthegreek
we used 3m windows tint on my car and havent any issues with it scratching and i roll the windows up and down all day long..
Jim: Just a heads up, I sent you a PM regarding your 3M tint. It would be great if you can provide some info. Thanks!