Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tint Places in Austin??

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 11:25 AM
La Chica loca y QUE??

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tint Places in Austin??

Any great recommendations? I've only heard of Mothers tint, any where else?
Old 06-02-2006, 12:29 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I went to Mother's. I think they did a decent job. I had to have one window retinted due to bubbles and they didn't do the entire back side windows. I had trouble finding places that had the better tint at good prices.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:17 PM
10th Gear

I have not yet gotten my windows tinted but I will most likely go to Sunbusters in North Austin. They were the only shop I talked to that immediately brought up the need for moleskin on the TL without me even asking. Definitely not the cheapest place in town though. They are also the only shop in Austin I found that carries the ceramic formula one tint which should be good for those with a navi.

I've gotten my last two cars tinted at The Shade Shop in south Austin. They do a good job and are cheaper but they are insisting the TL does not need moleskin so I'm going to pass on them this time.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:07 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Originally Posted by skijunkie
Sunbusters in North Austin. They were the only shop I talked to that immediately brought up the need for moleskin on the TL without me even asking.
That's interesting cause when I inquired with them last year they gave the same speech that everyone else does and says we've tinted tons of TLs and never had any problems with scratching. I specifically asked about moleskin.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:28 PM
10th Gear

I contacted them thru email a couple of months ago and this was the response I got:

"Thanks for the inquiry. We can install the Ceramic Pinnacle Series
film on your vehicle. This includes the Weather strips that are
needed for your vehicle. Acuras have an issue with window tint, the moldings
in the doors tend to scratch the tint. They are made from a plastic origin.
Nothing there to keep the window sliding without resistance. We install a
moleskin as we call them. It elimanates the problem. Its a felt lining
that we install to your interior moldings. If you have any
questions please call me @ 512-794-8468 my name is Robert. I would be happy
to assist you with setting an appointment. Answer any questions you might
have."

Maybe since you talked to them they have had some complaints about scratching? Also in further emails Robert mentioned he owns an 05 TL so perhaps he found out the hard way.
Old 06-02-2006, 11:19 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

I contacted them thru email a couple of months ago and this was the response I got:

"Thanks for the inquiry. We can install the Ceramic Pinnacle Series
film on your vehicle. This includes the Weather strips that are
needed for your vehicle. Acuras have an issue with window tint, the moldings
in the doors tend to scratch the tint. They are made from a plastic origin.
Nothing there to keep the window sliding without resistance. We install a
moleskin as we call them. It elimanates the problem. Its a felt lining
that we install to your interior moldings. If you have any
questions please call me @ 512-794-8468 my name is Robert. I would be happy
to assist you with setting an appointment. Answer any questions you might
have."

Maybe since you talked to them they have had some complaints about scratching? Also in further emails Robert mentioned he owns an 05 TL so perhaps he found out the hard way.
Wow that is totally the opposite of what they told me. I actually ended up going with Mothers and the 3M color stable as it was quite a bit cheaper than the $400 Sunbusters quoted me for the Pinnacle.
Old 06-03-2006, 11:06 AM
La Chica loca y QUE??

AMIC, did mothers do the moleskin along with the tint?
Old 06-03-2006, 08:22 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Originally Posted by ChicaTL
AMIC, did mothers do the moleskin along with the tint?
No they did not do the moleskin. They gave the same response about them tinting tons of TLs and not having any scratching problems. I guess if you bring it to them they might install it for you for a little extra fee.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:15 AM
10th Gear

I used Mother's (the S. Lamar location) for my last two cars (one of which was an 02 TL-S) and have been happy with them. I had a pretty crazy schedule going at the time I bought my 05 TL, so I just went with dealer tint for it. I can't remember offhand who they jobbed it out to, but I'll take a look tomorrow -- still looks great after a year (no moleskin).
Old 06-04-2006, 09:39 AM
10th Gear

Ya, Sunbusters did quote about $400. The pinnacle film is a lot more expensive. Most places I've seen the 3M tint between $200 and $300 but no moleskin. Which is part of the reason I have not gotten the tint yet. I'm going to want to talk to them more and see if they have a warranty against scratches.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:22 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Ya, Sunbusters did quote about $400. The pinnacle film is a lot more expensive. Most places I've seen the 3M tint between $200 and $300 but no moleskin. Which is part of the reason I have not gotten the tint yet. I'm going to want to talk to them more and see if they have a warranty against scratches.
I have a lifetime warranty with the 3M tint. I can go to any place that sells 3M tint and have work done.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:11 PM
Ghost Rider

Razor's Edge in Cedar Park

I went to Razor's Edge in Cedar Park, and I they did a superb job. It's worth mentioning that apparently most tint places will not go to the trouble of cutting their tint to fit up under the rubber in the rear quarter windows, but the guys at Razor’s Edge did. I got the lifetime warranty carbon/titanium based stuff fitted for $199.

I've used Suntint before and wasn't crazy about the result.
Old 06-04-2006, 03:17 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by AMIC
I have a lifetime warranty with the 3M tint. I can go to any place that sells 3M tint and have work done.
I'm pretty sure the warranty from 3M itself is a lifetime defect warranty. They warranty that it will not fade or change color or fall apart from UV exposure etc. I don't believe they will replace film that was scratched by a seatbelt or TL window seal or film that was improperly installed. But some installers will warranty against scratches for any reason. I just have not found one in the Austin area yet.
Old 06-04-2006, 09:14 PM
La Chica loca y QUE??

Originally Posted by Ghost-Rider
I went to Razor's Edge in Cedar Park, and I they did a superb job. It's worth mentioning that apparently most tint places will not go to the trouble of cutting their tint to fit up under the rubber in the rear quarter windows, but the guys at Razor’s Edge did. I got the lifetime warranty carbon/titanium based stuff fitted for $199.

I've used Suntint before and wasn't crazy about the result.
Hmmm, I might have to check them out since I'm in Leander, and it would be a lot more convienent for me to go there.

Thanks....
Old 08-09-2006, 09:43 AM
La Chica loca y QUE??

Well, I went to Razors Edge, the owner did a GREAT job!!!! Couldn't have been more pleased.
Thanks Ghost-Rider :-)

Oh and I did not do any moleskin, then again, I rarely roll down the windows in the back
Old 08-10-2006, 12:40 PM
Ghost Rider

Thumbs up Cool

I'm glad !
Old 08-10-2006, 01:01 PM
Engineer

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ChicaTL
Oh and I did not do any moleskin, then again, I rarely roll down the windows in the back
so you didn't tint ur front then I think...

I had my TL tinted and I didn't install moleskin, I've done many tests (rollin the windows up and down) and I have no scratching problem at all.

They did leave some marking on the windows if you roll down half way, but you can clean them out easily. Just keep your TL clean!!
Old 08-10-2006, 04:10 PM
Burning Brakes

Has anybody been to or heard of Shades of Texas on South Bell in Cedar Park?
Old 08-10-2006, 04:25 PM
La Chica loca y QUE??

Originally Posted by lights
so you didn't tint ur front then I think...

I had my TL tinted and I didn't install moleskin, I've done many tests (rollin the windows up and down) and I have no scratching problem at all.

They did leave some marking on the windows if you roll down half way, but you can clean them out easily. Just keep your TL clean!!
I did install tint in the front, I guess I misunderstood and thought the scratching happens in the back, my bad

I keep my TL pretty clean, and then again I rarely roll down the back windows. But, I do the front a lot in the evenings when its not HOT & STEAMY & 100 degrees in Austin
Old 08-10-2006, 04:28 PM
La Chica loca y QUE??

Originally Posted by lscld
Has anybody been to or heard of Shades of Texas on South Bell in Cedar Park?
Nope, not me. Go to Razors Edge, they did a superb job!
Old 08-11-2006, 09:03 AM
07 NBP TL-S

I used Shades of Texas last week on my 06 TL.

They did a fair job but if I had it to do over again I would go somewhere else. No moleskin, not the most professional appearance for the shop or the installers and the guy that did it left footprints on my brand new parchment interior.

But the tint looks good and was only $185.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:32 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jonathan.chance
I used Shades of Texas last week on my 06 TL.

They did a fair job but if I had it to do over again I would go somewhere else. No moleskin, not the most professional appearance for the shop or the installers and the guy that did it left footprints on my brand new parchment interior.

But the tint looks good and was only $185.
Thank's for the info of the first hand account. I was curious b/c I got my dad a gift certificate to have his windows tinted there for father's day. Hope it goes alright and that he's happy. And I figured that since they used 3M tint that it couldn't be too bad.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:39 PM
06 TL

I got mine done at Shade Shop, who is used by Sterling Acura. It looks really good, I would recommend them.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:51 PM
07 NBP TL-S

Hey ChicaTL, how's that Razors Edge tint holding up?

I just picked up a TL-S and am in need of a good tint shop.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:02 PM
07 NBP TL-S

I got the Formula One ceramic tint installed with the moleskin strips at Sunbusters on 183. A little expensive but they're very professional staff and they did a great job.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:30 AM
Intermediate

I work around 183 & Burnet Rd....any recommendation on tint shop around this area? What about Custom Sounds? Has anyone use them at all?

Thanks in advance,

Sam
Old 01-06-2007, 12:43 PM
5th Gear

I would highly recommend Mother's. They have 2 brands of ceramic film, Huper-Optik (which it's my understanding was the first ceramic tint on the market) and Madico. Mother's easily tints more cars than any other shop in Austin and therefore has more experienced tinters as the guys there have more earning potential working on commission. The manager there, Dave Oxford, is great to work with and will make sure the job gets done right. As far as metal based films go I think they carry Johnson and Lumar - both middle of the road, normal high performance window films. They don't make appointments, it's first come first served, but can take care of any tint job any day if you get your car there. Next door to Texas Land & Cattle @ I35 & 290 East (512.323.5325) or south Austin west side of Lamar just North of Oltorf.

I have the Madico film and no problems with scratching or the film, although rolling down my window doesn't clear the outside of moisture and I'm not sure if it was that way before it was tinted as I had the car tinted quickly.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:03 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for the feeback, Tablor, how much did you pay for your tint at Mother's?
Old 01-11-2007, 09:12 AM
5th Gear

They charge $400 for ceramic film and $180 for high performance film on a sedan. You might be able to talk them down $10-20 though.

Can anyone comment on whether or not rolling down their window clears condensation from the outside? I'm asking as I'm not sure if it's related to the tint job.

Another comment I would make regarding tint is this - They certainly will clean your window before applying the film - HOWEVER, if would not hurt at all if YOU took some time to very carefully clean your window paying close attention to the edges - all the window frames. The cleaner your windows are, the cleaner your tint will look, any speck of dust on the glass is going to be under the film and therefore you'd be looking through it for the life of your tint. This is especially true for smokers or anyone with small children that like to put their food encrusted hands

Finally, the TL doesn't have a large area of dot matrix on the rear window, but there is some along the top edge around the brake light and along the bottom edge. This is not a smooth surface for the film to adhere to. It would be uncommon for a tinter to go through the extra hassle, but a suggested work around is to spray soap and water on it and use a fine grit sand paper to reduce the height of the dots. It's a bit messy, but it works. It's not entirely necessary on a TL though, take a look at a 94-9? Integra - they have a large area at the top of the rear window like this. It'd be worth it to look at it when you go to pick up your car and make sure you're happy with it. At that point they'll tell you there's nothing they can do about it I'm sure as it would require re-tinting the entire rear window.

Hope I haven't confused anyone more than you already were!
Old 01-18-2007, 07:23 PM
05 TL Silver, 6spd, Navi

In response to the person who works around 183/Burnet, I work around here too (360/183).. I got mine done at Alta Mere. I think I spelled that right.. The reason I went there is because in my opinion the 3M stuff really sucks. I will never put that crap on another car. Alta Mere, although kind of a crummy looking place, has Llumar. It's the best stuff you can put on your car in its price range and its awesome. Very well known for automotive, residential and commercial applications.. I really do love this stuff over 3m..

It cost around 170.. Check it out.. http://www.llumar.com/na-eng/Automotive/auto.html
Old 01-21-2007, 12:45 AM
Instructor

go to sun tint and get a clear bar while you are at it. They do excellent work.
Old 01-26-2007, 11:32 PM
Intermediate

How much did you paid at Sun Tint?
Old 01-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Intermediate

I thought I would update this thread for any Austinites wanting to tint their TLs.

I had been a customer of Mother's window tint for years (3 vehicles I have owned and many others within the family), but this will probably be coming to an end. They sold me on not installing the mole skin felt on my 2007 TL windows, as they were not familiar with it and have tinited many TLs. I know they have a very large market in Austin, so I went ahead and bought the Ceramic Huper Optik from them at $400. Another reason that made me gamble on this was my boss has a TL that was tinited without mole skin and never had a problem with scratches. I had the windows tinted on August 21, 2007 and scratches appeared by January 1, 2008.

Well, I have three scratches on the driver side window and learned my lesson the hard way. I just had Sunbusters install moleskins at $20 per window. They are familiar with this problem and that the mole skin problem also exists on some late model Ford Mustangs. I am now going back to Mother's to have them replace the tint on the driver side door. Luckily a bubble never disappeared, but I decided to leave it just in case the scratches appeared (the bubble was fairly small an out of the way of my sight.)
Old 01-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Fightin' Texas Aggie

Hello, LancerCD, and fellow Aggie....

The one conclusion I can make regarding scratches and whether to install moleskin is this:

If you are someone who drives with your windows down a lot or even at all you should get the moleskin. The reason being that the scratching is most likely caused by particles of dirt getting in the window opening when the window is down, then when you roll it up the dirt scratches the tint because there is nothing in there to sort of absorb the dirt particles.

Like I said in my previous responses to this thread, I had my windows tinted at Mother's and I did not get the moleskin and I have had no problems with scratching so far after 2 years. Of course I never drive with the windows down and only roll them down to swipe my badge at the parking garage at my office.
Old 01-21-2008, 03:25 PM
Intermediate

I also rarely roll my windows down, except to swipe my garage key at work. I tried to keep the rubber guides clean in the window, but I still got the scratches. I think it is hit or miss with the dirt but once you get the dirt...OW!

For an additional $80 I think the felt is probably worth it. I just wanted everyone to know this is one of the few places in Austin that handles moleskin installation and they will add it even if the tint is already in place.