Sponsored by:

Thoughts from a previous TSX owner...

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 04:40 PM
cmd
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thoughts from a previous TSX owner...

I turned in my TSX and picked up one of the last 07 non NAVs in the tri-state. VERY impressed. I really liked my TSX -- it reminded me of my old Nissan 240SX from 15 years ago, but like the 240, wished it was a bit gutsier. I wished it had a bit more power, the guts of a V6, and a wider stance... oh, that's the TL.

I was worried the TL would feel too big, but it doesn't feel much larger than the TSX at all. It feels like a grown up TSX. It has all the tightness of the TSX, but MUCH more power. The TSX was a snappy car and fun on a winding road, but try to over take a car going up a hill with the A/C on and passengers in tow and your car won't look so cool.

By comparison the TL has WAY more luxury than the TSX -- customized settings, more details in the finish, etc. I listen to mostly XM now and the stereo is also WAY better. I kept my Kappas and 8" sub thinking it would go in the TL, but now I think I'll just keep it the way it is. For OEM its really pretty good.

I also drove a RDX for a few days. I was about to buy one until I drove the TL. I first thought, "hum, almost 4 year old design nearing the end of its cycle..." but quickly came to the same conclusion as the TSX -- the TL seems like a lot more car than the RDX for the same price. Now if the RDX was priced more like the TSX, I may have had a harder choice. The RDX is quite nice. Its seating position, with the cockpit design is very nice. I didn't care for the jerkiness of the turbo, plus it was noisy. I've owned 3 turbos in the past and it was similar to my others (though not as cool sounding) -- the "throw you back" feeling is fun, but a V6 is smooooth. Also the ride was bit unrefined. It felt like the springs were too stiff, yet there was still body roll. Again, I did like it, just more on par with the TSX.

I'm not bashing the TSX or the RDX. IMO, RDX feels a bit like a first year car (others may prefer the ride and turbo whine) and I think the TSX is the best car in its price. But if you can pony up a bit more cash, the TL is worth the difference and then some. Actually, the TL seems UNDER priced if anything. I also drove the IS250. For the same price you had to give up a lot of features -- namely 2 seconds on the on ramp!
Old 07-31-2007, 04:47 PM
'02 NBP TL-S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boy that was a very random post. It was TSX than TL than RDX. What?
Old 07-31-2007, 05:32 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Quit being mean Chanrith.

He's just sharing his thoughts and impressions of three cars from Acura, and that the TL seems to suit him perfectly. This post might help someone else who was thinking about an RDX or TSX but had questions and wanted another persons input.
Old 07-31-2007, 05:52 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
congrats on the TL
Old 07-31-2007, 06:42 PM
cmd
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow. What a welcome.

Originally Posted by Timmahh
This post might help someone else who was thinking about an RDX or TSX but had questions and wanted another persons input.
Exactly. Just trying to help others out to return the favor. I know a lot of people cross shop the mentioned cars. Usually these forums are a wealth of information.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:50 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I went from a TSX (with A-Spec suspension) to a TL-S. I think the TSX is a much smoother ride actually. The TL is smooth, but just seems a little bit bumpier than a TSX. But then again, I've got a Type-S with tight suspension.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:04 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Good review. I found the TL to be the perfect balance of luxury, looks, performance, features, price and fuel economy.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:21 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also test drove the RDX before I bought the TL-S.

I wasn't that impressed. Granted I didn't get a very long ride in the RDX, but it was noisy and not very fast. I think it might have been different if I could have taken it on a winding road with the SH-AWD.

Anyway, my wife convinced me that the TL was a better choice for me, and I am very glad she did.

One funny thing when we were shopping. My wife saw the TL for the first time and said... "You want to buy this LITTLE car!!!" The styling had her totally fooled. I told her it was the same size as the 04 Accord I was trading in and when she sat in the TL, she was sold. I just thought it was interesting that the sporty styling makes the car look smaller than it really is.