Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those who sometimes feel you car slow

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 06:52 PM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
For those who sometimes feel you car slow

There was some thread about the problem.
When the car is hot, sometimes when you start from a stop and put your floor the gas pedal the car feel slow, like if you have half of the power and around 4000 4500 RPM it takes off. There s no VSA light on, so it's not due to antispinning or VSA activity.

My dealer search around the catalytic, or oxygen probes etc... but everything was ok.

Finaly he upgrades the ECU and everything is fine now

I hope it will help some people here

ACURA TL 2005 AUTO
Old 04-08-2005, 07:02 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Someone ever felt the same way and the car seems faster after having ECU flashed. He said that update seemed to give ECU the new mapping stuff and he could feel/see the gears shift in higher RPM...

However, I'd like to see that TSB or information if possible. Thanks.

I like this side affect of this update... Hope my ECU won't shift the 4th gear to 5th at 1500 RPM. 1800 would be good, MPG isn't the case here...
Old 04-08-2005, 07:23 PM

I didn't see any TSB on this issue.

The problem was not that the program shift at low RPM. The problem is in first gear, i don't think it shift on 2nd at 2000 RPM.

Even in sportshift the issue was the same
Old 04-08-2005, 10:21 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another guess: just the act of flashing your ECU with the same exact one might cause you to experience the same thing. Flashing the ECU involves erasing all of the learned driving styles and setting it with a clean slate.

Reason I think this is because the car learns your driving style. The way you drove at the beginning of your ownership is probably a lot gentler than now - and the car may not have learned your new driving style yet. That was definitely the case for me - when I got the new ECU my car was still sluggish since I continued to drive it in the same gentler manner... but when I got the throttle body replaced and the computer reset, I started to drive a little more aggressively so the car shifts at a higher RPM.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:03 AM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
We do not have driver-adaptive tranny's ... don't know what this ECU-learning deal is -- can someone explain?
Old 04-09-2005, 08:06 AM

I talk with the mecanic guy about learning ECU. He told me it cannot explain my problem. Yes it adapts a bit but not so much. For example if you drive like a very old man the upshift will be like 1000 RPM sooner. But it's not so obvious and it will be easy to change it by driving agressivly.

I just want to told you that even in manual shifting mod the issue was the same so it's not a problem with learning ECU imo.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:14 AM
6th Gear

Automatic problem

I have an 05 tl Auto and when I drop it in the manual mode it shifts out of first gear around 2000 rpm. Is there any way to fix this. TIA
Old 04-09-2005, 08:33 AM
Cruisin'

I just want to say Acura's "sport-shift" sux. If I floor my 05 TL in regular "drive", the car revs to redline then shifts, if I put it in Sportshift it shifts much lower and that really sux. Why even put a Sportshift in a car that shifts 1st-2nd by itself and at a much lower RPM then in Drive? Acura blew it on this subject IMO. It has been tested at the track that Sportshift is much slower in the 1/4 mile. I just can't see the reasoning behind the programming of this.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:43 AM
6th Gear

im with you on that, it sux!!! I have to drop mine in L just to keep it in first gear. then sling it into the sportshift mode for second. what a waist.
Old 04-09-2005, 09:15 AM
Cruisin'

I've done the whole drop it into Low thing a few times also, but after reading the comments on the Tranny's in these cars it really scares me. Acura should update the ECU to fix this if indeed it is controlled by the ECU. I dont really understand the Tranny/Shiftpoint so if anyone has details please post them. Maybe they should rename it Slug-shift instead of Sport-shift.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:31 PM
Go B's Go

Originally Posted by HacKoWeLL
I've done the whole drop it into Low thing a few times also, but after reading the comments on the Tranny's in these cars it really scares me. Acura should update the ECU to fix this if indeed it is controlled by the ECU. I dont really understand the Tranny/Shiftpoint so if anyone has details please post them. Maybe they should rename it Slug-shift instead of Sport-shift.
i've been told that the tranny and the engine are "programmed" so there is no way of harming them in sport shift, even when shifting from 5 into 3rd gear on the gas
Old 04-09-2005, 11:32 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Red face What's wrong with our tranny!!!??? Where did you read!? What did you see!?

???

Acura says:
When moved to the Low position, the transmission downshifts to the lowest possible ratio for the current road speed to provide maximum engine braking. If the vehicle continues to slow, the transmission progressively downshifts to maintain engine braking effect. When it has shifted all the way down to first gear, an upshift back to second gear is automatically available if speed increases, but the transmission won't upshift further unless the driver moves the selector back to the D (Drive) position where normal transmission operation resumes.

Originally Posted by 05tlcharged
I have an 05 tl Auto and when I drop it in the manual mode it shifts out of first gear around 2000 rpm. Is there any way to fix this. TIA
Acura says:
A variety of safety features help protect the engine and drivetrain from damage. The transmission will upshift from first to second automatically if the driver doesn't command an upshift in time. In second, third and fourth, the transmission won't upshift without a command from the driver; the ECU cuts off fuel flow to the engine if there is danger of over-revving the engine. The transmission will upshift itself to prevent engine damage in the rare situation where the fuel cutoff alone is unable to prevent further engine over revving (as could happen on a steep downhill). When downshifting, the transmission won't execute a driver-commanded downshift that would send the engine beyond redline in the lower gear. To prevent lugging away from a stop in a high gear, the Sequential SportShift transmission will automatically downshift to first gear as it comes to a stop, even in manual mode.

I just want to say Acura's "sport-shift" sux. If I floor my 05 TL in regular "drive", the car revs to redline then shifts, if I put it in Sportshift it shifts much lower and that really sux. Why even put a Sportshift in a car that shifts 1st-2nd by itself and at a much lower RPM then in Drive? Acura blew it on this subject IMO. It has been tested at the track that Sportshift is much slower in the 1/4 mile. I just can't see the reasoning behind the programming of this.
Originally Posted by 05tlcharged
im with you on that, it sux!!! I have to drop mine in L just to keep it in first gear. then sling it into the sportshift mode for second. what a waist.
However, I agree SS mode SUCKs...

Originally Posted by BstonBruin
i've been told that the tranny and the engine are "programmed" so there is no way of harming them in sport shift, even when shifting from 5 into 3rd gear on the gas
Old 04-10-2005, 12:11 PM
Troublemaker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your car may feel slower if you use 87 gas. Try a comparison. Fill up with 87 and drive for a tank and then after u drive for 5-10 miles after Miles to empty hits 0, fill up with 93 (0r 91). You can feel a difference. The engine is also alittle quieter with 93.

You can also start with 93 and then put in 87.

idk maybe im going crazy, but try it and tell me
Old 04-10-2005, 02:30 PM
.:KCCO:.

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Turbowhat2
Your car may feel slower if you use 87 gas. Try a comparison. Fill up with 87 and drive for a tank and then after u drive for 5-10 miles after Miles to empty hits 0, fill up with 93 (0r 91). You can feel a difference. The engine is also alittle quieter with 93.

You can also start with 93 and then put in 87.

idk maybe im going crazy, but try it and tell me
uhm, you arent supposed to use 87. and the engine being quieter with 93 or 91. thats called knocking with 87
Old 04-10-2005, 03:03 PM
Troublemaker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ayethetiense
uhm, you arent supposed to use 87. and the engine being quieter with 93 or 91. thats called knocking with 87

the engine has knock sensors so although its not reccomended, you can still use 87
Old 04-10-2005, 03:33 PM
Cruisin'

Just for the record i only use Sunoco 93 in mine, One night i found out just how big the reserve tank is waiting for decent gas on the interstate. I knew by the book we had a 17 gallon tank but it only takes 13.5 gallons to fill up from 0 on the DTE.