To those that are thinking of going auto

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2004 | 03:07 PM
CEO, Team Anthracite

There are days that I wonder if it would have been a lot more fun to drive stick. Then there's this week, when I burned my right hand severely on a hot pan handle, and realized that an auto tranny is a godsend for idiots who grab pans without thinking where the pan had been 5 minutes prior... :|
Old 08-28-2004 | 03:57 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by argoldst
Just a gentle reminder, do not forget that the Manual has better brembo brakes.

Personally, I know AT is better in traffic and because of that I almost went with an auto. But after learning that you actually get better breaks with the manual, I figured the shifting was worth it.

Do not forget this factor when deciding on an auto or manual.
Don't mind the idiots on the board ... your point is well taken. I personally think the stick is awesome, the power is awesome with a 6MT, and the shear control you have over the car is a pleasure... but i went with auto anyways and I regret it many times.... but I still love this car.
Old 08-28-2004 | 05:45 PM
I love cars!

I think most, along with myself got the impression from many posters that the Brembos made for an entirely different, safer car, even to the point that I'd regret having the auto's 'regular' brakes "the day the front of my car got ripped off" since I could've stopped "2 to 3 car lengths" shorter with the Brembos. I, and others called BS on that which is how things got somewhat heated. The oroginal poster said it best in that he didn't mean to elevate the 6-speed's brakes to some magical level, but other posters did. All I asked for was qualification of the "disappointing nature" of the auto's brakes. I don't practice panic stops on test drives, and I wonder how these folks judged brake fade in such a short time period, and what other background info they had to offer....none was provided (ie 6mt 60-0 in 100ft, auto in 160ft). I simply wanted to hear justification of the opinions people had, and I didn't get much.

The original poster's gentle reminder was well in-line, and I think others jumped to his defense before he got to answer my question for himself. I don't want to incite a Brembo/Non-Brembo division of the board. Probably safe to close the thread at this point.
Old 08-29-2004 | 12:04 AM
Burning Brakes

Guys,

I posted on this topic not too long ago and the stopping distance difference between the 5AT and the 6MT is about 15 to 16 feet on average. That is one car length difference. C&D and MT posted 131 ft and 128 ft respectively for the 5AT. The 6MT stopped in about 115 ft based on MT's testing.

In real world situations, there is very little difference in day to day driving. In fact, someone posted that the 6MT Brembos seem to need a tiny bit more pedal effort to stop the car. This was one person's experience between the auto and manual.

I also believe the cost of ownership for the Brembos will be higher on the order of 2 to 4 times due to the fact that high performance pads tend to wear faster resulting in shorter pad life. Just check out the incredible dusting problem. And, the replacement pads are 2 to 3 times more expensive when ordered online. Someone mentioned $150 for the Brembos and $40-50 for auto set. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong but these facts are food for thought.

dsc888
Old 08-29-2004 | 10:07 AM
ITL
I do my own work.

I read the first 6 posts....what a bunch of assholes.....I dont wanna read that crap........guy was just giving some input

brakes wouldn't change my decision much (I got the 6MT), but thanks.
Old 08-29-2004 | 11:25 AM
Cruisin'

The problem I saw was "the way" it was put,If you want to be disappointed in brakes go drive a chevy sedan, then you will know what bad brakes are all about
Old 08-29-2004 | 11:33 AM
VTEC is happiness

2-3 car lengths is a HUGE distance in a panic stop--I highly doubt the MT stops that much quicker. But, I don't have the numbers, so it is a mute point. I have the AT since my wife has never (and will never) learn to drive a manual, and that is OK--my Porsche remains mine alone. The Brembos likely offer better modulation and hopefully reduced fade with repeated use, both terrific attributes. And they look much cooler through the wheels. Your point was a valid one, but for me it was a non-choice, and I couldn't be happier with the AT. I was wondering, has anyone with the AT attempted to swap rotors with the Brembos? I imagine it is $$$, but I am curious. Also, Istepnio mentioned that the A-spec pads for the auto are upgraded, and that might be a good option. I will have to check into that.
Old 08-29-2004 | 11:37 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rkat
The problem I saw was "the way" it was put,If you want to be disappointed in brakes go drive a chevy sedan, then you will know what bad brakes are all about
Also nice to see someone take a poke at a Chevy sedan ....

I drove both cars first and I didn't think the Brembos were all that. I used to own a 3rd gen RX-7 that I raced so I know what good brakes are. I think there are 3 big components of braking ... tires, pads, & clean fluid. After that you get into some complicated topics of # of pistons, piston area, swept area, etc. You can always add the brakes later if it means that much. I personally bought the AT and I think it is one of the more entertaining AT on the market. I think when I get the A-spec suspension on the car that will help my braking distance as well ... the car brakes much flatter with that suspension.
Old 08-30-2004 | 08:11 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Face it folks, the 6MT was given the better brakes because their owners are likely to be more agressive drivers.

Like me! .....
Old 08-30-2004 | 09:57 PM
Cruisin'

I had a Monte Carlo(96)worst brakes I have ever driven..So I can bag on them..