3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those that have the Clear Bra on their TL's...

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2005, 11:48 AM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
For those that have the Clear Bra on their TL's...

What are your opinions on it?

Worth the money...

Not worth the money...

Don't have the Clear Bra...

I'm thinking about getting it but I really want to know people's opinions prior to purchasing it...

what happens if a rock hits it and then scratches it up, then do you have to replace the entire bra? or just that one area?

what if it gets scratches? can you do something to "touch it up" or you just have to live with it...

there are many people who have had their cars for over a year so it's been through all types of weather/seasons and so forth, so i decided to ask this question/poll now...to see how the clear bra holds in the long run...
Old 02-18-2005, 12:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I got one

So far 2000 miles on it and it looks great.. I was told they are guaranteed for 4 years I think. I would have to check it could be 5.

I was worried if rocks hit it and what it would look like after a couple of years of driving.

Now I am not sure what they consider damaged enough to be replaceable. As I recall the front bumper on my last acura got beat up so I re-painted it.

The clear bra was I think 500, it was already on the car I told them I did not want it and they took off another 100.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:11 PM
04TL/SSM/Quartz/AT/Navi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had it installed when I bought my TL last September. It was the best $600 I spent for protection on the hood, entire front bumper and the backs of the side mirrors. You can't even tell it's there unless you knew to look for it. Cleans real easy -- you can wash it with the car, wax it (it leaves no residue and does not turn a faded yellow). Bugs come off real easy as long as you don't let it stay on loo long. I'm sure I've hard rocks/pebbles hit it -- it has never penetrated thru the clear bra. The dealer said it is warranted up to 80mph. Have never seen it scratch. Mine looks like it was just put on. Hope this helps.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the clear bra also. Its the best thing I have purchsed for myTL so far. Mine has lifetime guarantee against yellowing, peeling, and nicks. I got it done at Autoguard in Belllevue. You can't really notice it unless your looking for it. It cost around 650.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:32 PM
Pro

what happens if...

let's say you install the clear bra in 2005...just around the front bumper...then in 2010, you see that the front bumper is still shiny as if it was brand new cause it had clear bra on it, but the rest of the car's paint has been faded a little...doesn't that look odd/awkward/ugly?

does it really make sense? the best thing would be to clear bra the entire car, but that's very $$$$ and difficult...so the long term effects of the clear bra tend to have more problems than the short run...

any thoughts???

i'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but i really want people's opinions who have had the clear bra on their car for greater than or equal to 1 year...thanks!!
Old 02-18-2005, 12:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LOL

Well I would think you would get fading from sunlight since it is in fact CLEAR. The bras that you can put on and take off would prevent fading and more than likely cause the problem you are talking about.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:40 PM
Racer

i got mine done on a black and it works great. good quality clearbra should allow the paint to fade under the bra along with the car. and since the bra is elastic the rock should bounce off of it and not damage the bra. the concept was first used in the military for their fighter jets. some strong stuff.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:30 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I've on my NBP and is worth every penny. It's been over a year and my front end looks like new. I'll say if you can afford it get it.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:42 PM
Photoshops, and Polls!!!!

My condom? (clear bra)

is the best damn protection on my car...i love it!!!!

worth the 500ish
Old 02-18-2005, 02:32 PM
The Flipster

Have the clear bra on my TL. If you can afford it get it !!! Its saved my paint on these wonderful Missouri roads.
Old 02-18-2005, 03:05 PM
Team Nighthawk Member

I don't know if you have, or are thinking of getting the areo kits on your car, but I can tell you from personal experience that the primer color is WHITE.....not a problem on a white or light colored car but on a NBP car like mine it is noticeable. The only way to stop the chiping on it down low is to put a clear bra on....
Old 02-18-2005, 03:50 PM
Reppin' for tha DPG

Got it...and LOVE IT!!....
Old 02-18-2005, 04:26 PM
Dr. Feelgood

Mine still looks great! The reason I opted for it was because I saw the results of road debris and hazards on my Tundra and ES300 and it wasn't pretty. Either that or Toyota paint just plain sucks! Anyways, the front of my car looks as good as the day I got it. Worth every darn penny! Got mine for $495 with the car negotioation price.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:44 PM
Racer

try to organize a group buy in your area then go to a vendor. me rawDogg, hawhyen and a few others got a killer deal.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:27 PM
Safety Car

Paint Protection Film (PPF) is the one item that will protect your vehicle from road damage such as gravel, bugs and small debris. You can treat like you would a painted surface, wash, clay, polish and wax. Most of the warranties state it will not crack, peel or yellow. Most of the companies/businesses offer a 5 year warranty on the install and some companies like X-Pel offer a 5 Year Paint $1000 Paint Protection guarantee. Here are links to two articles on PPF. The first one is a Clear Bra Test using 3M film on a S2000. BTW, I think the test article will answer most of your questions. The second one is an article about Clear Bra that appeared in the January 2004 issue of Motor Trend.

I had it installed on my 2004 TL and needless to say it was money well spent. As gochan said if you can find some other interested folks, go talk to an installer and work out a package deal and you will save some money.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:44 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I now have 15,500 miles on my clear bra and am very satisfied with my investment.

I had 140,000 miles on my Acura Legend 6-speed coupe that I sold when I purchased the TL. My coupe had a tremendous amount of paint damage to the front end and I specifically purchased the clear bra to save my new TL from rock chips.

After 14 months of freeway driving I have no paint chips on my TL. I got two tiny ones above the clear bra last summer, but was able to touch them up very easily with a paint pen and I don’t even remember where they are now.

Last weekend I was going through Walnut Creek on I-680 (8 lanes wide) in heavy traffic at about 65 mph and all of a sudden it was raining wood pieces across 3 lanes. Wouldn’t you know the biggest piece flew into the front of my TL. I estimate it was about 18 inches long and 3 inches wide. When I got home I noted some scuff marks on the clear bra, and some splinters between the headlight and frame, but absolutely no paint damage. Now I need to decide if I am going to be able to live with the scuffed clear bra, or have that section replaced. But at least I am not going to have to have my bumper re-painted, which certainly would have been required if I didn’t have the clear bra.
Old 02-19-2005, 08:46 AM
Advanced

Can the clearbra be installed by myself? $650 is a lot of maney seeing as you can buy the complete kit for $260 and put it on yourself. I think it would be tough but can be done. Anyone know of any detailed instructions about the do-it youselfer...
Old 02-19-2005, 09:17 AM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jinen
what happens if...

let's say you install the clear bra in 2005...just around the front bumper...then in 2010, you see that the front bumper is still shiny as if it was brand new cause it had clear bra on it, but the rest of the car's paint has been faded a little...doesn't that look odd/awkward/ugly?

does it really make sense? the best thing would be to clear bra the entire car, but that's very $$$$ and difficult...so the long term effects of the clear bra tend to have more problems than the short run...

any thoughts???

i'm sure this topic has been discussed before, but i really want people's opinions who have had the clear bra on their car for greater than or equal to 1 year...thanks!!

I think it's better to have painted every two years for example and for the reasons you wrote above. I think the price of clear bra is too expensive compare to repaint job