Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of selling the TL. Thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 03:16 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thinking of selling the TL. Thoughts?

I've been contemplating selling the TL and getting an 06 Lexus LS430.

While I like the styling of the TL better, I feel the TL is just too high maintenance (transmission failures, compliance bushing failures, motor mounts, interior rattles). I'm curious if anybody owned a Lexus prior to owning their TL. If so, I'd love to hear your feedback on what you liked or didn't like about each one?

Also, I'm still not sure I want to take a downgrade on the age of the car (and most likely the mileage).

FWIW, I realize the comments I'm going to get are slightly biased since I'm posting this in an Acura TL forum, but I'm just curious to hear people's opinions on this.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:02 PM
2021 RDX A SPEC

Received 308 Likes on 189 Posts
you have an 08? i'm sure an 08 has addressed many of the prior issues of the 3G dating back to 04-06.

Lexus is the tier 1 luxury brand that Acura hasn't gotten to yet...but along with that comes much higher maintenance costs.

did you have a transmission failure?
Are you having rattles that cannot be solved? ..and alot have been solved in the 3G garage.

are you still under warranty? powertrain?
Old 10-22-2012, 04:02 PM
Slot Machine Lubricator

Received 404 Likes on 316 Posts
Buy an Accord.
Old 10-22-2012, 04:13 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
I used to drive LS400 for some time and still long for it. One of the best cars I ever had.
Before I got my TL I was looking at LS460 and that car is something special but for same age it would cost me about $10K more.
LS430 is a great car but it doesn't stand a chance in stile against TL. TL is just better looking car all around luxury enough for my taste maybe as luxury as LS and good performance.

Even though LS430 doesn't do it for me it is still one great car.

Edit: as far as maint. I only had to replace a leaky power steering hose for about $400 on LS400 there also was a knock coming from suspension when driving over speed bumps (known issue with LS) but I got rid of it before I had a chance to get it fixed.
Haven't had any issues with my TL yet except (PCV) to cure fuel cap warning ($90).

Last edited by Acura-OC; 10-22-2012 at 04:22 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 10-22-2012, 04:25 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 241 Posts
I found this on the lexus forum regarding issues some owners found in their 01-06 LS430. I know that's a pretty big year range but I hope this information is helpful!

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls43...xus-ls430.html

I'm sure you already know this by now but the LS will be a lot more luxurious than the TL but less sportier (if not any). They are very heavy cars but with a 4.3L V8 it'll still pack a nice punch. The RWD is also a plus, IMO.

My parents owned a '97 LS400 Coach Edition back in the day and that car never had any issues in the 9 years they had it.

Any reason why you're choosing the LS over the GS though?
Old 10-22-2012, 05:13 PM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Do it.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:22 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
Originally Posted by DaeHanMeenGuk
I found this on the lexus forum regarding issues some owners found in their 01-06 LS430. I know that's a pretty big year range but I hope this information is helpful!

I'm sure you already know this by now but the LS will be a lot more luxurious than the TL but less sportier (if not any). They are very heavy cars but with a 4.3L V8 it'll still pack a nice punch. The RWD is also a plus, IMO.

My parents owned a '97 LS400 Coach Edition back in the day and that car never had any issues in the 9 years they had it.

bigger interior and suspension setting is softer than GS and not to mention to it offer more option for luxury.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:17 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Trying to one up on us eh
Old 10-23-2012, 02:23 AM
k1x
rocking my vs-sexx!!!

Received 122 Likes on 108 Posts
yep tl is much sportier! good luck with your decision if you go with lexus are you gonna vip that bush out? lol
Old 10-23-2012, 06:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DaeHanMeenGuk

I also thought about the GS, but I just found a pretty good deal on the LS. I've actually had my eye on both for a while now.

I realize I will be losing some sportiness and I THINK I'm OK with that.

Thanks for the link. I'm gonna have to take a close look at it before making my decision.

Originally Posted by Acura604
you have an 08? i'm sure an 08 has addressed many of the prior issues of the 3G dating back to 04-06.

Lexus is the tier 1 luxury brand that Acura hasn't gotten to yet...but along with that comes much higher maintenance costs.

did you have a transmission failure?
Are you having rattles that cannot be solved? ..and alot have been solved in the 3G garage.

are you still under warranty? powertrain?
Yes, I have an 08 base. I have quite a few rattles in the doors that I've already fixed once and they're back again. No tranny failure yet, but I can feel it slipping (car only has 47k miles).

I fixed the armrest cushion and as I did it I the I started to realize how much Honda cut corners with the TL.

Originally Posted by Acura-OC
I used to drive LS400 for some time and still long for it. One of the best cars I ever had.
Before I got my TL I was looking at LS460 and that car is something special but for same age it would cost me about $10K more.
LS430 is a great car but it doesn't stand a chance in stile against TL. TL is just better looking car all around luxury enough for my taste maybe as luxury as LS and good performance.

Even though LS430 doesn't do it for me it is still one great car.

Edit: as far as maint. I only had to replace a leaky power steering hose for about $400 on LS400 there also was a knock coming from suspension when driving over speed bumps (known issue with LS) but I got rid of it before I had a chance to get it fixed.
Haven't had any issues with my TL yet except (PCV) to cure fuel cap warning ($90).
Thanks for the feedback.

Originally Posted by k1x
yep tl is much sportier! good luck with your decision if you go with lexus are you gonna vip that bush out? lol
Probably not too much. Just thought about wheels, maybe a few engine mods to open her up a little.
Old 10-23-2012, 07:25 AM
The cake is a lie.

As someone who made the leap from a TL to an M5 I can say I miss my TL-S and IMHO think you should stick with the TL. Trust me the grass always seems greener on the other side of the street till you get there and find out it isnt that much greener. Faster... YES but greener no.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:13 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Phantom_of_the_Acura
As someone who made the leap from a TL to an M5 I can say I miss my TL-S and IMHO think you should stick with the TL. Trust me the grass always seems greener on the other side of the street till you get there and find out it isnt that much greener. Faster... YES but greener no.
WOW. You miss the TL over the M5? I wouldn't have thought that.

What do you miss about the TL?
Old 10-23-2012, 09:15 AM
The cake is a lie.

Originally Posted by 08WDPTL
WOW. You miss the TL over the M5? I wouldn't have thought that.

What do you miss about the TL?
Lets see
1. Payment the TL would have been paid for by now I still have another 2 years on the M.
2. Insurance V6 to a V10 you can do the math.
3. Gas I keep detailed records and the TL averaged 24 mpg over the course of three years the M is averaging 16 mpg after a year and a half.
4. Ease of use the TL will happily go about day to day whether it be a short trip to the store or a 300 mile drive the TL is a car that won't complain. The M is meant to be driven on the highway it loves getting to stretch it legs. But the SMG trans is slow and clunky around town and the instant you hit stop and go traffic it gets worse.

I think people that want to leave the TL are looking for more power, better ride and more luxury. For what it is the TL is a great car that I personally wish I had kept. Don't get me wrong the M5 is extremely fun to drive but overall the TL is a well balanced front wheel drive sedan it has style, it still looks better than the 4G and it holds its value because of those attributes.

Just take your time and consider the Pros and Cons of your choice to get the Lexus. I didn't with the M and have the occasional buyers remorse but it goes away when I get a clear stretch of interstate.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:07 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 93 Posts
Wow, other than the pocketbook, I can't imagine having remorse about an M5.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:34 AM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LS? I would have thought a GS would be more of a option. Your jumping from a sportish car to a ...well... granddad/old type of feel. LS is really boat ish, really all over the road. Don't get me wrong, I love the LS looks and features. The power is there, but because of the weight of the car, you don't really get it's full potential unless you start modding. I personally own a 06 Gs430, and now own a 04 TL. Love the Gs, which is why I couldn't get rid of it, n bought the TL to be my DD. But if your really interested in the LS, I would do it. You can't go wrong with Lexus. Oh yeah, We also do have the little rattles that even your TL gets. So don't think you'll get a quiet compartment.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Phantom_of_the_Acura
Lets see
1. Payment the TL would have been paid for by now I still have another 2 years on the M.
2. Insurance V6 to a V10 you can do the math.
3. Gas I keep detailed records and the TL averaged 24 mpg over the course of three years the M is averaging 16 mpg after a year and a half.
4. Ease of use the TL will happily go about day to day whether it be a short trip to the store or a 300 mile drive the TL is a car that won't complain. The M is meant to be driven on the highway it loves getting to stretch it legs. But the SMG trans is slow and clunky around town and the instant you hit stop and go traffic it gets worse.

I think people that want to leave the TL are looking for more power, better ride and more luxury. For what it is the TL is a great car that I personally wish I had kept. Don't get me wrong the M5 is extremely fun to drive but overall the TL is a well balanced front wheel drive sedan it has style, it still looks better than the 4G and it holds its value because of those attributes.

Just take your time and consider the Pros and Cons of your choice to get the Lexus. I didn't with the M and have the occasional buyers remorse but it goes away when I get a clear stretch of interstate.
Thanks for the advice. I may do a little more test driving before I pull the trigger on anything.

In regards to gas milage, I can't believe you were getting 24 MPG with a TLS (unless you did a lot of highway driving). I drive pretty conservative in my base TL and only average about 20-21 MPG with 50/50 mix of highway and city driving.

I do agree that the styling of the 3rd Gen TL is awesome and it is a good mix of sport and luxury which is why I was initially drawn to it. I just wish it was a tad more refined.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:01 PM
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by 08WDPTL
Thanks for the advice. I may do a little more test driving before I pull the trigger on anything.

In regards to gas milage, I can't believe you were getting 24 MPG with a TLS (unless you did a lot of highway driving). I drive pretty conservative in my base TL and only average about 20-21 MPG with 50/50 mix of highway and city driving.

I do agree that the styling of the 3rd Gen TL is awesome and it is a good mix of sport and luxury which is why I was initially drawn to it. I just wish it was a tad more refined.
I average 24MPG myself, in ALL city driving, in my '08 6MT TL-S. On the highway, I can easily push 31 MPG's, on long trips.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:18 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bkswaqqa
LS? I would have thought a GS would be more of a option. Your jumping from a sportish car to a ...well... granddad/old type of feel. LS is really boat ish, really all over the road. Don't get me wrong, I love the LS looks and features. The power is there, but because of the weight of the car, you don't really get it's full potential unless you start modding. I personally own a 06 Gs430, and now own a 04 TL. Love the Gs, which is why I couldn't get rid of it, n bought the TL to be my DD. But if your really interested in the LS, I would do it. You can't go wrong with Lexus. Oh yeah, We also do have the little rattles that even your TL gets. So don't think you'll get a quiet compartment.
You're ruining my perception of the Lexus brand.

Originally Posted by Guiltyox
I average 24MPG myself, in ALL city driving, in my '08 6MT TL-S. On the highway, I can easily push 31 MPG's, on long trips.
Ahhh. I didn't think that he may have a manual tranny. That would account for the better gas mileage.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:58 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Dude, anything but a Lexus....
Old 10-24-2012, 07:10 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Steven Bell
Dude, anything but a Lexus....
What's wrong with Lexus? Have you owned one in the past r do you just not like the brand?
Old 10-24-2012, 07:56 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,307 Posts
Lexus actually isn't that bad, the IS350 would be my choice if it has the same rear leg room as our TL.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 362 Likes on 241 Posts
Originally Posted by truonghthe
Lexus actually isn't that bad, the IS350 would be my choice if it has the same rear leg room as our TL.
I can assure you that the TL has way more leg room compared to the IS.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:23 PM
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts
08WDPTL you mad-man! How dare you do what you want with your own money!

Seriously though, I understand your concerns. Do what makes you feel best and don't look back. As for me, I've fixed all my rattles and simply ignored the compliance bushing for years now. Even though bushing is cracked, I still haven't crashed and tire wear is still within reason. I hit the 9-yr-owner mark next month (along with a few others on the 3G forum) and am not looking back either.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:48 PM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I was looking to replace my Accord last year, I was interested in the Lexus IS, Audi A4, and lastly the TL. Then I checked an IS 250 at the Lexus dealer, and realized that the IS and the A4 were the size of a TSX (legroom in the back is really small), and that the TL equivalents were the ES, the A6 and BMW 5 series. Needless to say, I was not interested at all in getting a 07/08 ES (old man's looking car), and with the A6, a was worried about cost of maintenance. The TL became my main choice, and the rest is history.
In any case, the Lexus LS is a nice car...