Sponsored by:

Thinking about trading my 06 G35 for a 08 TL Type S

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 01:18 AM
vbx
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts
Thinking about trading my 06 G35 for a 08 TL Type S

Ok, really not feeling my G35 right now and although its a nice looking car from the outside, i'm already bored of it. There is just no spirit in the performance. No "spunk" if you will.

The interior is not worth mentioning and the performance is "blash". Search youtube and you'll know what i'm talking about. Basically this car is a torqueless wonder, rattles everywhere, very, very poor gas mileage and the tires wear out in about 10-12k.

So you basically have to buy new tires every 6 months or so. Nissan already has recall on all 03-05 350z for a bad suspension causing premature tire wear, feathering, cupping etc. etc..

Anyways, couple of questions for you TL owners b4 I make my decision.

1) Do you guys think it's worth it for me rid my G and get a TL? Basically, are you happy with the TL?

2) Are there any rattles in the TL? Are they as bad as the G35? Click here and turn your volume up to listen to my rattles in my G.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3uOWxau2ns

3) What's the actual MPG for the TL Type S 6mt

4) How's the paint for you Black TL owners? The G has very soft paint that scratches easily

5) How's the engine? Quiet? smooth? Any knocking or pinging? The VQ doesn't sound happy when Idle. (Yes it has won Top 10 motor) but, the truth is, this motor is old news. Doesn't have "VTEC or VVEL" yet, not until 08 did Infiniti start using VVEL technology.

VVEL = Better gas mileage and better performance.
The G37 has a larger motor but gets better MPG at the same time because of VVEL
The G35 05-07 coupe also has oil consumption issues on some cars. (Usually a hit or miss with this car).

6) How's the VTEC in this motor? Does it "kick-in" at 5.5k rpm?

7) What should I expect to pay for a 08 TL type S, 6mt with everything.
- Navi
- Spoiler/body kit etc
- Premium pkg
- carbon fiber assy (steering wheel, trims, etc).

8) Final question: What the 09 TL get a face lift? If so, I should probably wait for the new 09 TL.

THNX
Old 10-10-2007, 01:34 AM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
1. It's really a question of personal taste. You are on a TL forum, after all.
2. The TL actually has numerous rattles that are well documented.
3. I average ~21-22mpg combined city/hwy.
4. The NBP (black) paint on our TL's is awesome...I own the NBP TL Type-S 6MT. When you look at it from certain aspects in the sun, it has a blue-ish tint to it. It is definitely high maintenance, though, and difficult to keep looking clean.
5. The engine is actually very quiet...too quiet, imho. I personally have not experienced any knocking/pinging, although some others on the forum have.
6. You can, however, hear vtec kick in on the Type-S @ 4,950rpm.
7. Re: premium package...Acura's don't come with that. Usually the only option available is the Navi.
8. Yes, the '09 TL will be an updated model. However, I don't know if the Type-S will be available right away.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-10-2007, 04:01 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
We've got some of the same problems as the G.

I've only had a little bit of Pinging at around 3,000 rpm and it is documented with an Acura case number. Hoping ( ) for a TSB. Otherwise the engine is very, very quiet (I agree, it's almost too quiet - you gotta pay attention or miss your shift points). I think the Active Noise Cancellation is part of the reason for that.

Not rattles or suspension issues for me, but others have had some.

Interior is quality, IMO. Exterior design is MUCH more inspired than the G35 Sedan.

If the G is fairly new (say an '07 or late buy '06) I'd be tempted to hold it until the 4G TL is released.
Old 10-10-2007, 06:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
vbx- Somehow, someway these kind of conversations turn ugly. As a rule of thumb, we prefer all car comparisons or would be car comparisons to be discussed in Car Talk in the Off Topic section. Additionally, you will get unbiased opinions there. As far as "rattles" "mpg" and "paint quality" are concerned, you will find numerous threads on these topics. The 4G TL will be out some time next year and there is a huge thread on it. Please take the time to read that or continue that particular discussion. You can, if you want to, start a new thread combining numbers 6 & 7. Good luck with whatever decision you make.