3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about going to Audi A4-any input?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 08:26 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
OP - Thanks for posting this, I was actually thinking of looking at a 2008 A4 2.0T this weekend. I have had my '08 TL for 14 months now and the "jerky" transmission (AT) and loud shift interlock are driving me insane.

Still haven't decided on what I am going to do, but may still take a look.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:42 AM
TL=True Love

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
i think the new audi's are ugly in the rear. The tail lights dont look to good. its just so red, they need to put some white in the tail lights like in the 07 08 TL tail lights or something to give it contrast. and if your gonna do audi get something higher than A4, you might as well get a Jetta cuz they have the same looking tail lights.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:20 AM
Drifting

Received 241 Likes on 165 Posts
Always loved the A4. But its not for Tall guys---Im 6'3 about 200 and its way too tight for me. If your shorter than that---go for it.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:23 AM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I love my 5AT. Nice smooth shifts, can't tell when downshift takes place as quick as it happens. How many miles? You replace the 3rd and 4th gear switches?

I do have an 04, so maybe the new transmission is like that.
The switches are still there, you just have 3 instead of 2.

Redline ATF all the way baby lol

Last edited by Steven Bell; 04-19-2012 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 04-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Instructor

'08 Base with 45k on it. I haven't done the switches yet, but have switched over to DW-1.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blooze I understand where your coming from. I drained and refilled my trans once and it felt like it got better but it eventually shifted the same again. Doesn't ever seem to feel any smoother. Than I did a BG flush I had extra laying around. It was good for about a week. That was in Feb. Now that its april it feels about the same but I would say its better in some ways like when I get out of park into reverse or drive it doesn't shift as hard. From 2/3 I can feel it shift not smooth. On the 08 a4 2.0t my friend mention theres more maintenance on it. So when you get to an 09 a4 2.0t its timingchain. Now I test drove a 2012 a4 2.0t prestige it was really nice handled well, awesome sound system, and of course it looked really nice. For being 6"3' I fit comfortably. The only thing I know so far is that the 09 up 2.0t has oil consumption problems warranty or ext. warranty will help. Hope that gives you an idea. I'm still in the air but like I said before its hard to give up my TL. Who knows for the right price I might switch over.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:53 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by Blooze
OP - Thanks for posting this, I was actually thinking of looking at a 2008 A4 2.0T this weekend. I have had my '08 TL for 14 months now and the "jerky" transmission (AT) and loud shift interlock are driving me insane.

Still haven't decided on what I am going to do, but may still take a look.
Have you changed the ATF to Redline Type-F or pressure switches? Doing so would a lot cheaper than changing cars and to a brand like Audi. Just the depreciation will cost you a $1000 or so over 4 years having an Audi- that buys a lot of ATF and a bit of maintenance for your TL.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:17 PM
Intermediate

Lacostaracer: Tell me more about the pressure switches. Im pretty sure your going to have to take the trans out since its not reachable by a pan.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:19 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 171 Likes on 119 Posts
My husband & I used to have an A6 Quattro. Lovedddd the way it handled, and everything else that is just great on it. HATED the cost of parts & maintenance. The bolt pattern was so limited on somewhat reasonable rims, so ended up switching back to Homda/Acura after it. (even tho when I first bought the Audi I swore I would never drive anything else lol)
Old 04-19-2012, 09:26 PM
Intermediate

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ssure+switches
Found an article on the 3rd and 4th pressure switches. I might try this myself to get some smoother shift. Fluid flush was not enough.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:28 PM
A6 and TL

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts
My 5AT is very jerky as well. Only 30k miles and its very rough and sometimes seems like its confused what gear its in....always jerking and making noise. Dealer said its normal.....have warranty for 3 more years so when it dies I am not too worried.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:40 PM
Drifting

Received 220 Likes on 180 Posts
Originally Posted by blacktsi
Lacostaracer: Tell me more about the pressure switches. Im pretty sure your going to have to take the trans out since its not reachable by a pan.
Try searching with these keywords: conversation pressure switch

A link called 'Interesting Conversation ...' will come up and that is chock full of info. There will be many other links that give your great information and a DIY. The switches cost <$100 for everything. I have my parts and will be changing soon when my car hits 50K miles. Also they are pretty easy to change- like spark plugs.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:38 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't do it. Save yourself the headaches, the cash, and the time. Stick with the Acura. If anything goes wrong with the electric system, you're boned. Not sure how far Audi has come in the last few years, but if they're still anything like VW used to be, they like to break a lot (especially all the fun little bells and whistles); and when they do....open that wallet. I used to consider myself strictly a euro-driver, but decided to convert and support the Rising Sun with my 6mt 08 TLS. So far it's been a GREAT decision. Good luck!
Old 04-20-2012, 08:37 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the input everyone ... I didn't want to threadjack OP's post about the Audi, by bitching about my car, but it caught my attention since that same day I saw a local Audi A4 (White ext / Black int, which I really like).

I have been a Honda person most of my life, starting with a '83 Honda 1500 S (daddy of the Si) and have owned several Honda's including my last car which was a '99 Civic Si. I had that car for 12 years and the only non-maintenance issue I had was my thermostat stuck open. Great car!

Anyway, I am getting older now and really wanted a mid-size 4-door sedan, V6 and automatic (this would be the first auto I have owned, not including wife's cars). I largely chose the TL without much shopping around, being a Honda fan and eliminating other cars due to various issues (Germans/Cost, Infinity, just wasn't wild about them and so on ...). Well, without turning this into a long-winded rant (too late??? ) I just have been a little disappointed with the transmission of the TL, then while driving, letting that put me in a bad mood, I look at the lines from the air bags in the dash and steering wheel and the tape deck (really??!??! My '99 civic didn't even have a a tape deck) and I get irritated that much more. Than I read about transmission woe's and cracked dashes and it's like, sh*t... I prefer to keep my cars for 10 years or more so that kind of stuff concerns me.

So, I am not in the mood to lose money on a car. I am not in the mood let this eat me up either, so I am just going to deal with it. By such, I mean get some 303 for the dash to help cover the air bag lines (and hope it doesn't lead to a cracked dash) and consider doing the pressure switches at some point in time. The car has a lot of pluses (yeah, I have been focusing on the negative, but damn, like I said, my Civic never left me stranded after 12 years, my TL did within one year... the battery died after being replaced 11 months ago), so I am going to focus on the pluses, address the negatives and in the meantime, yeah, I am going to look at that Audi and maybe a couple of others and see if they are worth losing some money on the TL. Hell, if I am already in for some potential costs down the road with this car, might as well check out some others.

Blacktsi .... Thanks for the input on the Audi. While I hate paying that bill for the timing belt, I like that after about 7 years/100k miles I know that my car is going in and having the belt done as well as the other belts and water pump and so on.

It's funny, I know everything about the generational changes within Honda and Acura going back 20 years, but nada about many other cars. Definitely need to read up as I look at some other cars, including the '08 A4, as it may be worth finding/checking out an '09.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:10 PM
Advanced

These same doubts about Audi reliability have been on my mind lately. I'm in the market for a new (to me) car and i have pondered the idea of going with an Audi. I test drove a manual 2009 Audi A5. I liked both the exterior and interior of the car and it suits my style - i probably would have bought it then and there if I was convinced it would be reliable. Maybe the newer models are I just need to do more research. Any one have knowledge/experience with newer model Audi's?