3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thin beeping sound when shifted in reverse?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2004, 01:47 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thin beeping sound when shifted in reverse?

Hi, everybody -

After 1000 miles on the 2004 TL I've started to hear a thin high-pitched beeping sound coming from the rear speaker in a constant "short-long" pattern all the time while AT is shited in "reverse" position. I do have backup sensors installed but this beeping is at lower volume and higher pitch than sounds generated by backup sensors and continue as long as a stick is in reverse position. I realize that this is maybe just how things are supposed to be - to indicate that the stick is in "reverse" - and I maybe just enjoyed excellent audio too often to notice - But I'm still would like to have a confirmation that this is always like that and that the car doesn't suddenly trying to tell me something new I need to know (Yes, I did RTFM - but probably missed the answer)

Thanks in advance - I appreciate your feedback!
Old 06-21-2004, 02:43 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Hope someone will pop out the answer very soon. (My owner manual doesn't have anything related to the backup sensor... )
Old 06-21-2004, 03:25 PM
I don't have a Ferrari in

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by anthralex
Hi, everybody -

After 1000 miles on the 2004 TL I've started to hear a thin high-pitched beeping sound coming from the rear speaker in a constant "short-long" pattern all the time while AT is shited in "reverse" position. I do have backup sensors installed but this beeping is at lower volume and higher pitch than sounds generated by backup sensors and continue as long as a stick is in reverse position. I realize that this is maybe just how things are supposed to be - to indicate that the stick is in "reverse" - and I maybe just enjoyed excellent audio too often to notice - But I'm still would like to have a confirmation that this is always like that and that the car doesn't suddenly trying to tell me something new I need to know (Yes, I did RTFM - but probably missed the answer)

Thanks in advance - I appreciate your feedback!
Is it like a "buzzing" noise? If it is a buzzing type noise then you may have a blown/uneven subby in the rear center. However, if it only happens when in reverse (and thats a big only) then it is probably just the back up sensor and nothing to worry about. If you have questions, take it to a dealer.
Old 06-21-2004, 05:53 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MasterTL
Is it like a "buzzing" noise? If it is a buzzing type noise then you may have a blown/uneven subby in the rear center. However, if it only happens when in reverse (and thats a big only) then it is probably just the back up sensor and nothing to worry about. If you have questions, take it to a dealer.
No, this is very clean repeating sputnik-like regular pattern "bip-beep-pause" that starts and continues only when I shift in reverse. Backup sensor has a different tone and volume. It also emits one short continuous "beep" (much louder and and at lower pitch) when I put it in reverse - and then it beeps only when it detects anything within range with frequency according to a distance to an obstruction. But this one is constantly "bip-beeping" behind in mosquito-like annoying voice - all the while the stick is in reverse. No other "abnormalites" - I even checked "reverse" lights...

I just wanted to make sure that nobody else is hearing this - with or w/o sensors - before I call a dealer. From the lack of of "yes/no" responses I should, probably, deduce that nobody does - so it's time to call a dealer, then. I'll let you know if I learn something about that...

Thanks, everybody!... Keep on a great TL-community work!