Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

thief disarm your alarm

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 12:04 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thief disarm your alarm

I just want to see if anyone else had this happen. last sunday, my car was broken into late at night. I didn't even know until i start driving away and start to look for my sunglasses. they manage to take about $1500 from me between glasses and ipod and elses. when i when to the police station. the cop told me there are scanner out there that can record your code or frequence and store it, all they have to do is drive around until they see your car flashing light. and have at it with you car. the cop did said that it is very difficult to steal new car but they can take everything else in it and sell it on ebay he said they had busted a few people that way. has anyone else heard of this or is the cop blowing smoke up my behind.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
I have heard the same thing from numerous people and it does sound plausible. The theives would just steal your stuff and there would be no signs of forced entry.
Old 10-26-2007, 12:40 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
pretty rare that thieves have these scanners, you may have forgot your doors open, kinda sucks
Old 10-26-2007, 03:00 AM
Safety Car

Received 295 Likes on 175 Posts
Usually people who works at an audio shop that does alarm system have a scanner to program or duplicate the alarm. It is common because I had my friend car got stolen even when he have an aftermarket alarm.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:33 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
I think it's possible... most aftermarket alarms change the frequency everytime you lock and unlock your vehicle... only factory alarms keep the same frequency...

just us your key to lock your car when you park in areas where other people are around... parking lots...etc...
Old 10-26-2007, 08:06 AM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it's definitely possible....sucks bro reading these threads but I keep telling people,

STOP LEAVING SHIT IN YOUR CAR!!! stop leaving your IPODS, SUNGLASSES, COLOGNE, HEADPHONES etc in your car. THere is noone else to blame but yourself for having that stuff stolen! Especially in Vegas, where you know multiple TLs have been stolen and cars get broken into ALL THE TIME!!!!
Old 10-26-2007, 08:07 AM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah, the thieves are not just everyday people anymore - they are technologically advanced opportunists now!

Unfortunately, I would be a target for such people because when I park my car in public areas, I park a ways from everyone else if I can, and that probably presents a clear target for the bitch-a$$ mofo to aim at!
Old 10-26-2007, 08:12 AM
I disagree with unanimity

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
i've heard of it, but i've on;ly seen it on gone in 60 seconds. i think anything is possible with the way technology is going these days, and criminals always findin new ways to beat the security systems. definately sucks bro. try to hide your shiz, so they dont see it thru the windows or take ipod wit ya.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:55 AM
REDBULL///AMG

yup most top end alarms systems, Viper, clifford, autopage have code hopping, changes the code everytime. but lemme tell you something bro, if they want it you better believe they are gona take it. my lil cuz has about 4K in music in his honda cvic with a nice cliford pager alarm..they took his window molding out, took the glass off, reached under the dash n disconnected everything. n i kid you not, my tech need about 35 sec he can have that car hotwired n started, takes him 2 min to hot wire and 07 escalade. moral of the story, same peole the put em in are most likely the people who take them
Old 10-26-2007, 09:39 AM
Retired!!! ON TOP!!!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 06 Acura TL
yup most top end alarms systems, Viper, clifford, autopage have code hopping, changes the code everytime. but lemme tell you something bro, if they want it you better believe they are gona take it. my lil cuz has about 4K in music in his honda cvic with a nice cliford pager alarm..they took his window molding out, took the glass off, reached under the dash n disconnected everything. n i kid you not, my tech need about 35 sec he can have that car hotwired n started, takes him 2 min to hot wire and 07 escalade. moral of the story, same peole the put em in are most likely the people who take them
Old 10-26-2007, 10:23 AM
REDBULL///AMG

rodneyc77...haha hey i mean c'mon u know all those jerome tech, how fast can they dismatel a car? lol...by the way im still waiting to run into you. i have yet to spot you and your only like 5 blocks away...haha
Old 10-26-2007, 02:08 PM
Cruisin'

it suck becasue they were all in my glove box and center compartment, they also took everything out of my trunk too except the baby car seat thank god. they even took my spare glasses. what are they going to do with that? and when i took it back to the dealer they charge me 60 dollar to change the code and 20 for the stupid coin holder.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:26 PM
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts
To one of the posters above, how is the victim to blame for getting his car broken into. You say it's nobody's fault but his for leaving an ipod or whatever in it. I disagree, I think the blame lies squarely on the shoulders of the ahole that broke into the car. I know it will deter theft if there is nothing to steal, but I think to blame the vicitim is wrong, no matter what. JMO
Eric
Old 10-26-2007, 02:30 PM
REDBULL///AMG

^^^i agree
Old 10-26-2007, 02:34 PM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by blueracer17
To one of the posters above, how is the victim to blame for getting his car broken into. You say it's nobody's fault but his for leaving an ipod or whatever in it. I disagree, I think the blame lies squarely on the shoulders of the ahole that broke into the car. I know it will deter theft if there is nothing to steal, but I think to blame the vicitim is wrong, no matter what. JMO
Eric
I agree too.. If the victim is to blame for leaving his Ipod in his car, then you should just not leave anything at home. Carry your tv, computer, and everything else on you, because if it gets robbed in your house too then might be to blame for leaving that stuff in your house.
Old 10-26-2007, 02:39 PM
RBP > WDP, NBP, SSM etc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by blueracer17
Eric
I'm the poster - do you live in a major city? or do you live in some remote areas where crime doesn't exist?

But that's fine, be stupid, leave your valuables in your car for them to get stolen. Leave them in there in the parking garages you park at, when you drop your car off to acura, at the car wash and any other time its susceptible to anyone besides you. Let's get something straight here, I'm blaming the OP for being stupid for leaving VALUALBES IN A CAR IN A PUBLIC PLACE or IN YOUR DRIVEWAY which is NOT secured and out in the open, you are leaving it for theives. NOW, the car got broken into, if they broke into it for taking the valuables, then IT IS HIS FAULT, if they broke into it and got nothing, HE wouldn't be out $1000-$1500.

YOU WILL LEARN YOUR LESSON VERY QUICKLY. But for the rest of you idiots who think they are immune to theives and are going to sleep with both eyes closed thinking you're immune to people breaking into your car or stealing your shit, you people seriously need to wake the f*ck up! Don't leave your stuff in your car!? Seriously bro how difficult is it to understand that?
Old 10-26-2007, 03:02 PM
REDBULL///AMG

^^ i agree, if you know theres a possiblity then you shouldnt have them in there. but at the same same i dont think we should be sooo harsh
Old 10-26-2007, 03:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Let's get one thing straight. The OP didn't start this thread to get sympathy from anyone nor did he come here to get flamed. He's a new member and we don't treat new members like that- period.

If you don't want to answer the OP's question, move on and stop calling (new) people names.

Capiche?
Old 10-26-2007, 03:56 PM
Trucki!!

Originally Posted by gauravp123
I'm the poster - do you live in a major city? or do you live in some remote areas where crime doesn't exist?

But that's fine, be stupid, leave your valuables in your car for them to get stolen. Leave them in there in the parking garages you park at, when you drop your car off to acura, at the car wash and any other time its susceptible to anyone besides you. Let's get something straight here, I'm blaming the OP for being stupid for leaving VALUALBES IN A CAR IN A PUBLIC PLACE or IN YOUR DRIVEWAY which is NOT secured and out in the open, you are leaving it for theives. NOW, the car got broken into, if they broke into it for taking the valuables, then IT IS HIS FAULT, if they broke into it and got nothing, HE wouldn't be out $1000-$1500.

YOU WILL LEARN YOUR LESSON VERY QUICKLY. But for the rest of you idiots who think they are immune to theives and are going to sleep with both eyes closed thinking you're immune to people breaking into your car or stealing your shit, you people seriously need to wake the f*ck up! Don't leave your stuff in your car!? Seriously bro how difficult is it to understand that?
Really Caps in every post, do you have a chemical deficiency or something.

You sure take everything personal in your posts, don't you?
Old 10-26-2007, 04:35 PM
Cruisin'

thank you for everyone comments. This post isn't about me bitching how my things got stolen but is to let everyone who care to know what happen to me and hopefully keep it from happening to you. I know it wasn't the smartest thing to do when i leave my personal belonging in the vehicle. like my scription glasses in the glove box or your personnal information like proof of insurance. but how secure are our vehicle even with factory alarm. i know if some one want to get in your car they are going to get in. but they disarm my alram without remote. what's going to stop the theft or car jacker from getting into your or your wife's car after dark. i never thought twice about the volvo commercial how they have a heart detection system in there car until now.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:08 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
So what can we do to avoid this from happening again. I am scare now.
Old 10-26-2007, 06:59 PM
Pro

One thing that I don't think anyone mentioned yet....we talk about all these advanced alarms and precautions, etc. However, like someone did mention, if they want it - they will get it. That being said, no matter how good of an alarm, nothing's going to stop a baseball bat to the window, other than maybe metal bars and a pitbull. True, not the most sleek, undercover way to do it, but it will get the job done for them.

To the OP - Sorry to hear about what happened. To answer your question - yes, I do believe this is possible. Just based on how the alarms work with the technology...are you familar with rolling garage codes? You may be if you use your Homelink Opener in your car. I believe alarms work like this too, unfortunately it sounds like our alarm must not have a rolling code, therefore it's easy to duplicate once someone 'learns' it.
Old 10-26-2007, 07:02 PM
A J35A8 EG civic is in

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
There have been a few thread about similar situations before where people have arrived at their car, and stuff has been missing without forced entry.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:08 PM
~Da Nocturnal Cheetah~

When I take my car in for service, to the mechanic, to get wheels put on...etc, etc...I take my valuables/shit I don't want stolen out of the car. Anyone would be wise to do that. It's aheadache to have to do that. But we must all remember the world we live in is not the world it should be...but the world it is. So just act accordingly.

If someone breaks into my car to steal my Valentine 1, I am goingto be pissed at myself for leaving it in the car in plain view because I know that shit happens! Has nothing to do with where you live. If you live in a good neighborhood, it is going to happen there too because thieves are sometimes your friends and neighbors who go in your house and know what you have and want it, desire it at the same time they are complimenting you on it! Also, thieves know you THINK you live in a good neighborhood, so they plan accordingly when they take their bitch asses out to vic someone!

As far as how to prevent this from happening, you can't stop them from breaking into your car, fuck it - you just can't. But you can stop them from taking your shit by YOU taking it first. In the house when you go to sleep, or take your car to service or anywhere else your vehicle is out of sight for a long time. Play it smart...cuz the bad guys do!

That's what gauravp123 was trying to say...in his own idiotic and insensitive way. You can ignore him, but his "message" is invaluable, so don't ignore that:

Protect your shit at all times!!!!
Old 10-26-2007, 08:36 PM
Cruisin'

all i hope is that by sending this post out. it will make everyone aware my problem. and maybe send a message to acura that this is a problem that they should look into. I had already send a lettter to acura about my problem.hoping if in the future they can make our future car better and smarter. it is going to be a contuines battle but if we don't speak up how would they know.
Old 10-26-2007, 10:48 PM
All About Trance

Received 124 Likes on 109 Posts
I wish they'd incorporate shock sensors in the factory alarm next time. Just be happy that your car was in one piece and not have a window smashed in like my situation late Tues. night/early Wednes. morning of this week. Sorry for your loss though.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:49 PM
The Darker the berry....

People - you've got to understand, factory alarms are the cheapest, simplest, POS' that manufacturers can put in cars - just enough that they can advertise that the car has a "vehicle security system". Anyone who expects a factory alarm to really protect their car is just being naive. This does NOT hold true, however, for some very high-end vehicles, some of which do have pretty nice security systems, but you get what you pay for.

Now even with the most high-tech aftermarket alarm, if an educated thief really wants your car or just wants in to your car, they will get it. Think about it - most people don't comprehend that if a thief wants to disable your alarm, they can quickly break or remove your window, pop the hood and disconnect your battery - end of alarm. That's why my Hornet/Viper alarm not only has the obligatory shock sensors and I connect it to the car horn so I can distinguish it from other alarms, but I also am getting a hood-lock to prevent them/slow them from getting under the hood. Also, make sure your installer really hides the "brains" of the alarm and doesn't just put it right under the steering wheel - mine is hidden elsewhere in the car.

I live in a supposedly good neighborhood, but I still hide or remove all my important stuff, GPS, CDs, etc so it's not quite so tempting to the passing eye. I'm probably the only one in my neighborhood with an aftermarket alarm but I prefer to err on the side of caution - besides, my car is not always in my driveway, is it?
Old 10-27-2007, 08:26 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Yes. It's true.

There are several other threads on this topic. A search will reveal them.

When my '04 TL was fairly new, I parked in a lighted lot at a club, locked the car and went inside. When I came out, I didn't notice anything unusual except that a microfiber cloth I had in the center console was on the passenger seat.

BZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. Wrong.

I then started taking inventory. I was missing my new radar detector and my SunPass toll thingee. Nothing else was disturbed. They didn't even take my CDs or DVD-As or sunglasses. In fact, they apparently tidied up afterwards because there wasn't even a smudge anywhere. And I would know because I had just detailed the car that day.

The thieves must have respected the nice car and were carefull not to harm it. Go figure. But, I felt violated and I was pissed.

There was no sign of forced entry.

I know I locked it. The only thing I could think of was that I was within range of the car in the club and might have accidently pushed the unlock button on the key fob. Highly unlikely because the range is short. Besides, if no one opened the door within 15 seconds, it would re-lock.

So, yes. The scanner scenario works. Act accordingly. See the story in another thread of some student types who went to the Acura dealer with a black box at night and were popping them open for laughs.
Old 10-27-2007, 06:26 PM
Acuras Only in

Originally Posted by sunny201
I agree too.. If the victim is to blame for leaving his Ipod in his car, then you should just not leave anything at home. Carry your tv, computer, and everything else on you, because if it gets robbed in your house too then might be to blame for leaving that stuff in your house.
LMAO ! taking the TV with me? i would need a pickup truck for that ...
Old 10-27-2007, 08:36 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by darksom1
When I take my car in for service, to the mechanic, to get wheels put on...etc, etc...I take my valuables/shit I don't want stolen out of the car. Anyone would be wise to do that. It's aheadache to have to do that. But we must all remember the world we live in is not the world it should be...but the world it is. So just act accordingly.

If someone breaks into my car to steal my Valentine 1, I am goingto be pissed at myself for leaving it in the car in plain view because I know that shit happens! Has nothing to do with where you live. If you live in a good neighborhood, it is going to happen there too because thieves are sometimes your friends and neighbors who go in your house and know what you have and want it, desire it at the same time they are complimenting you on it! Also, thieves know you THINK you live in a good neighborhood, so they plan accordingly when they take their bitch asses out to vic someone!

As far as how to prevent this from happening, you can't stop them from breaking into your car, fuck it - you just can't. But you can stop them from taking your shit by YOU taking it first. In the house when you go to sleep, or take your car to service or anywhere else your vehicle is out of sight for a long time. Play it smart...cuz the bad guys do!

That's what gauravp123 was trying to say...in his own idiotic and insensitive way. You can ignore him, but his "message" is invaluable, so don't ignore that:

Protect your shit at all times!!!!
darksom1 is absolutely right on this one. Yeah, it sucks...especially afterwards when people say 'you shoulda taken it inside' because it pisses you off more after what happened. But, this is one way to make it that much more difficult for the theives to get what you have & what they want.

Perfect example, as darksom1 was metioning about being pissed if someone were to steal his Valentine 1 radar detector in a nice neighborhood. I live in a good neighborhood, suburbs of Chicago (about 30 minutes out). Well, my friend (lives in the same town), had his Valentine for at least 6 years now, always left it outside in the car, after a while, I'm sure he got comfortable doing that - didn't think twice. Until, one morning he goes outside to get in his car and wonder what the hell is all over the seat - the passenger window was busted. The Valentine was gone. The cops came, dusted for fingerprints and that was the last we heard (of course, the chance of them catching the person is next to zero, unless of course their prints were already on file).

Ever since that incident, I took my Passport radar detector down everynight. (I don't use one in the TL anymore), but when I had the CL. Oh, and he bought a brand new one (and they're something like $400). You better believe that comes down every night now
Old 10-27-2007, 09:56 PM
WDP 07 TL Type S

If you have vaulables in your car don't leave them out in plain sight. It's hard enough that our cars look attractive to thieves. Sorry for the loss bro.