Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are they going to total my car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2015, 07:45 PM
Scotch

Received 22 Likes on 6 Posts
Are they going to total my car?

I became a victim of 17 year old texting and driving last night. Very upset since I took care of this car so well. It was worth way more to me than the book value. Estimator comes tomorrow. How can I get them to fix it and not total it?

Old 11-18-2015, 08:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 158 Likes on 151 Posts
miles?
Old 11-18-2015, 08:25 PM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
Fuck! Sorry to see!

Hope no frame damage.

Let us know what the adjuster says.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:28 PM
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 116 Posts
Another 3G potentially biting the dust!?

But its hard to tell if your car is going to be written-off or not. It's all up to the adjusters call and what he/she see's. From what I can tell in the pictures, if there is no frame damage there's a possibility of it being repaired but it depends on the year and mileage of your 3G. Sucks to hear about what happened.
Old 11-18-2015, 08:44 PM
Life Connoisseur

Received 131 Likes on 96 Posts
I vote yes...metal support behind tail lights and trunk looks pushed in...and appears to be an '06 or older. Frame behind bumper is surely smashed in.

More pics...

This is becoming a weekly occurrence.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:01 PM
Life Connoisseur

I was going to say rear quarters look OK, but they've likely been pushed outwards as well (away from the sides of the trunk).

Looks eerily similar to a "totaled" Accord I had.

Road or Highway? How fast? Sitting at light?
Old 11-18-2015, 09:23 PM
Scotch

Its an 06 with 210K miles. Yes, the metal frame where the trunk latches is very bent. It took the brunt of the hit from a raised Jeep. It was in stop and go traffic - I came to a very normal stop with traffic and she apparently never looked up. Probably hit me going around 20 mph.
Is the metal frame under the trunk lid replaceable?
Old 11-18-2015, 09:26 PM
Scotch

Old 11-18-2015, 09:30 PM
Life Connoisseur

Originally Posted by scottn3
Its an 06 with 210K miles. Yes, the metal frame where the trunk latches is very bent. It took the brunt of the hit from a raised Jeep. It was in stop and go traffic - I came to a very normal stop with traffic and she apparently never looked up. Probably hit me going around 20 mph.
Is the metal frame under the trunk lid replaceable?
Nope, not a pnp solution anyway. With that mileage, it's most certainly totaled, be surprised if it isn't. Sucks, sorry.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:35 PM
Scotch

The actual bumper didn't take any of the hit and the support behind the bumper shows no damage. Unfortunately the truck lid and metal bracket just above the bumper took all the force. It just makes me sick that this happened to this car.
This was undoubtedly the cleanest 2006 you will find. I bought it in 2011 with 170K from a salesman who drove it cross country just logging easy miles. The interior and exterior both look new, no one had ever even sat in any of the other seats when I got it. I just put in a new AC (before the old one even went out as a preventative measure), new timing belt job, fresh Redline ATF, and new tires. I've always cared for this car in every way. I even had just done a Klasse polish and sealant job.
Just devastated...
Old 11-18-2015, 09:35 PM
Life Connoisseur

For reference, my Accord was only 8 years old and had @140,000 miles. Slightly harder impact than what you describe, and right side rear quarter was visibly affected.

Old 11-18-2015, 09:36 PM
Life Connoisseur

Any pics of under the rear?
Old 11-18-2015, 09:37 PM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Wow sorry to see this. Again the car gods has struck down another 3G TL. Yeah with 200k and an 06 that is most likely totaled with that much damage to the rear. Man so terrible that you had just done the timing belt and all that work too! Sorry man

Now lets just hope you don't get rear-ended by insurnace a 2nd time!
Old 11-18-2015, 09:44 PM
Life Connoisseur

These are the impact areas that will result in a total loss as well as the mileage in my opinion.

Can you get pics behind the rear bumper inside the cracks to inspect the sheet metal? The bumper beam may be replaceable, but where this mounts is also likely smashed in as well. See pic below for reference, not a TL.

Last edited by MonkeyTrucker; 11-18-2015 at 09:46 PM.
Old 11-19-2015, 03:59 AM
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 421 Posts
I estimate the repairs at around $5000.

If the car totals you should buy it from the insurance and paid the difference to get it repair. That's an easy fix, no frame damage.

Last edited by 01acls; 11-19-2015 at 04:11 AM.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,182 Likes on 1,210 Posts
Sorry to see this happen to you. Good luck.
Old 11-19-2015, 07:20 AM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
As our cars age, they become more easy for the ins. co to total since they're just not worth as much. I have a different opinion...if it is totaled, take the money for it (make sure you check comps of the same year and condition to get the most from insurance) and get something else that's newer with lower mileage. My reasoning is that if you get it repaired, it may not be the same (may structurally be intact but may develop rattles and the like that will drive you nuts). Also, with that mileage and the car being at least 9 years old, you did an excellent job of getting your money out of it. I agree that having a good DD despite the mileage is a great thing and it's a huge PIA to have to replace it and potentially make payments on a replacement car, but in this specific case, it may make the most sense.
The following users liked this post:
polobunny (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 09:27 AM

Received 9,502 Likes on 6,173 Posts
Yikes, sorry to see
Old 11-19-2015, 09:55 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Sorry to see but like Monkey said, the car does look totaled. The repairs will cost too much for the insurance company. When my Lexus got rear ended, it needed some quarter panel work done to it. The total cost of my repair was around $9k.

Good luck, and hopefully the kid's insurance company takes care of you.
Old 11-19-2015, 09:58 AM
Team Owner

Received 4,416 Likes on 3,322 Posts
with that kind of mileage, sadly, I think this TL will be sent to the crusher.

Or sold at auction and parted out.

Either way, I think it's a write off.

TL
Old 11-19-2015, 10:22 AM
2006 NBP TL MT6/ 02TL-S

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
The car looks totally repairable, but the cost vs the value thing as said will make the Insurance company want to total it.

But you do have one thing working for you-the wreck was NOT your fault and the other guy's insurance company will be paying. (unless you're in one of those f'ed up No-Fault states)

Either way, I believe you have possible neck damage & PAIN from this rear-ending that might feel a lot better if they repair your TL or give you a much more generous payment for it due to it being in such good condition.

Paying you a few thousand $$ more for your car to avoid medical claims & possible legal action would be much cheaper to the insurance company and they know this.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:35 AM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
oh yes, please go get checked out and get and x-ray. Your back may feel a little sore and you think that you'll recover in a few days, but sometimes that is not the case. Hopefully all works out for you and you are able to find another 3G, maybe even a type s.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:40 AM
Life Connoisseur

Word of advice in regards to accruing medical bills. Most "honest" doctors will inform you that if your medical insurance determines that your visit was related to a car accident, you will be left to pay out of pocket rather than them covering the medical expenses. Leaving you solely reliable for medical expenses and then your forced to go to battle with an automobile insurance for reimbursement, at which point you'd also have incurred legal fees to "win" anything of substance.

Unless you broke four limbs and had severe medical expenses, that same doctor will encourage you to stop telling him/her it was "officially" from a car accident to ensure you don't incur unneccessary medical bills.

It's not as simple to claim injuries and get a check.

Related experience in trust accounts, accounting/auditing, and personal experience.

Last edited by MonkeyTrucker; 11-19-2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:07 PM
06 Anthracite TL

Received 333 Likes on 257 Posts
The other important thing is that plain film xrays are only going to show a fracture if present (which seems quite unlikely since a back fracture is very painful at the moment of impact/ won't develop over time)- xray radiation that won't affect outcome and/or insurance payment should be avoided. You can sue for injuries if present of course, but it'll likely take years before you collect (on a pain and suffering claim), if you collect anything at all. In a young, healthy man, xrays are pretty useless actually.
Old 11-19-2015, 12:16 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by AlanW
The car looks totally repairable, but the cost vs the value thing as said will make the Insurance company want to total it.

But you do have one thing working for you-the wreck was NOT your fault and the other guy's insurance company will be paying. (unless you're in one of those f'ed up No-Fault states)

Either way, I believe you have possible neck damage & PAIN from this rear-ending that might feel a lot better if they repair your TL or give you a much more generous payment for it due to it being in such good condition.

Paying you a few thousand $$ more for your car to avoid medical claims & possible legal action would be much cheaper to the insurance company and they know this.
Brilliant advice! Maybe send over an associate to "lean on" the adjuster a bit!

Because this isn't insurance fraud or anything, and it doesn't end up costing all of us in the long run.
polobunny (11-19-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 01:34 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I became a victim of 17 year old texting and driving last night. Very upset since I took care of this car so well. It was worth way more to me than the book value. Estimator comes tomorrow. How can I get them to fix it and not total it?
Your situation sucks. Suggest negotiating with them on the book value and repair estimate. What is the book value, in your opinion?

FWIW, a friend negotiated with her insurance company, which initially wanted to write off her CR-X, and she got them to adjust both numbers so that the repair was $500 less than it was worth; this was enough to get her car repaired and not junked.
Old 11-19-2015, 01:55 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
You need to know the threshold for your state for salvage and after going through this same pain recently and with your miles its going to be a total loss I'd be very surprised if it isnt.

Good luck. Didnt see if you noted air bag deployment or not but if any of those went off in combination with this damage the car is toast. It truly doesnt take much these days to total cars especially a 10yo car with those miles.
Old 11-19-2015, 06:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts
If they say its totaled and the amount they are offering isn't satisfactory, don't accept it. I did that years ago with my H22 CD5 Accord. They wanted to give me $3000 for it, but you couldn't find a ragged out POS for that price here. Anything halfway nice was easily 5K, and then add the swap. Stupid adjuster of course doesn't understand or care what an engine swap is and gave it $500 extra for a 'vtec' motor. :-/

I told them I wouldn't take less than 7500 or they can fix it. They fixed it - repairs cost $7700. Would've been cheaper for them to pay out, especially since they had to give me a rental car the whole time.

One other thing - if you do get them to fix it - make sure to ask for diminished value. A wrecked vehicle, even after repair, is not worth the same as one that has never been wrecked. Im in SC where it's not mandated that they pay it, and I still got $1100 in diminished value from it. To this day, I still cannot understand why they didn't just give me the $7500. I'm not complaining though - I loved that car and drove it for another 2 years and then sold it for more than I bought it for.
Old 11-19-2015, 08:29 PM
Scotch

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice.
The adjuster came out today and estimated the repair cost at $4200.
He also quoted the car value at $7100 (this was higher than I expected, but I did show receipts all my recent work that I had done on it).
Since I live in SC, it can go up to 75% of the value before totaling out. So this means the repairs can climb to around $5300.
The adjuster worked for a body shop for 18 years and seemed to be solid on the estimate, so I feel safe that it won't total. Basically everything in the rear needs to be replaced, but they should be able to repair the quarter panel damage - just slightly tweaked.
I've got some minor pain from whiplash and am going to see I chiropractor tomorrow. I don't believe in claiming false injuries but want to protect myself from any unforeseen problems down the road. Please don't turn the thread into a debate about dishonestly reporting injuries pros/cons. In the end, I just want my car back the way it was and not having to give up anything.
I definitely want to get back any losses for the resale value, so I plan to drag out the claim as long as necessary until I feel I've walked away with a fair shake.
TacoBello (11-22-2015)
Old 11-19-2015, 11:11 PM
Life Connoisseur

He also quoted the car value at $7100 (this was higher than I expected, but I did show receipts all my recent work that I had done on it).
Since I live in SC, it can go up to 75% of the value before totaling out. So this means the repairs can climb to around $5300.
The adjuster worked for a body shop for 18 years and seemed to be solid on the estimate, so I feel safe that it won't total. Basically everything in the rear needs to be replaced, but they should be able to repair the quarter panel damage - just slightly tweaked.
I've got some minor pain from whiplash and am going to see I chiropractor tomorrow. I don't believe in claiming false injuries but want to protect myself from any unforeseen problems down the road. Please don't turn the thread into a debate about dishonestly reporting injuries pros/cons. In the end, I just want my car back the way it was and not having to give up anything.
I definitely want to get back any losses for the resale value, so I plan to drag out the claim as long as necessary until I feel I've walked away with a fair shake.
Colored me surprised. Good outcome for you I suppose, are you going to compare that estimate with some body shops to ensure that's a fair estimate?
Old 11-20-2015, 07:23 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 185 Likes on 150 Posts
Me too as surprised. Was this a visual inspection or did they tear it apart cuz this was same news I got I was border line then they found more damage once they tore into it throwing me over the line.

Since the damage is so close to a total are you comfortable they will be able to repair it to drive and handle as before?

Good luck on diminished value that will be a VERY hard fight! Most insurance companies will total a car if its close so they dont have to pay diminished value.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:29 AM
Drifting

Received 598 Likes on 446 Posts
I had a previous vehicle that was valued at $7600, repair estimated at $6900. I pushed for it to be totaled, but insurance decided to repair. When all was said and done, the insurance company was in it for about $10,500. You never know what the insurance company is going to do. Just keeping talking to them and prepare yourself for both options.
Old 11-20-2015, 08:58 AM
Safety Car

Received 1,094 Likes on 749 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackass
I had a previous vehicle that was valued at $7600, repair estimated at $6900. I pushed for it to be totaled, but insurance decided to repair. When all was said and done, the insurance company was in it for about $10,500. You never know what the insurance company is going to do. Just keeping talking to them and prepare yourself for both options.
Wow.

Yeah the OP says the estimate is 4200 but after he takes it to a shop and an actual estimate comes in, it may climb higher.

Also personally with a car that has this much damage I would rather have it totaled and me get another car because otherwise this will be another ding on the carfax report and will have some problem with resale later down the road.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:07 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts
I didn't even pay attention to the tag being in SC. Where about in SC? I'm in Lexington.

I'd say skip the chiro and go to a real doctor. The chiro will have you coming in 5 days a week for adjustments :-/. He may even offer to fix your allergies or some other want thing by popping your neck.

Don't forget to tell them you want diminished value!
TacoBello (11-22-2015)
Old 11-22-2015, 04:06 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had the same thing happen to me a year ago. Same deal. Teenager more than likely texting. They insurance company did declare it a total loss. Luckily for me I didn't have frame damage and chose to keep it and have it repaired. I went a cheaper route than having it repaired by Acura. The whole ordeal took about 3 or so months and I've been driving it for 9 months without any issues.

I myself went to a chiropractor and decided to keep up maintenance. I barely received a claims check
Old 11-30-2015, 09:34 AM
Scotch

I'm in Fort Mill, SC - just south of Charlotte.
The adjuster was had 15 years experience with a body shop so I think he got it relatively close. He did quote minimum cost for parts - assuming aftermarket and junk yard parts. I took it to the best body shop in the area and prep'd them with my position on not making any compromises on the repair. I either want it done right or totalled.
They should have it torn down and an estimate tomorrow.

I've been shopping for options in case it is totalled, but I just can't find much that would be a good replacement. I'd like to get something newer (2010+) but the new TLs don't seem like a good option.
I keep going back and forth on whether I want them to total it or not....I'll find out tomorrow...
Old 11-30-2015, 11:01 AM
śïιέит вµт đέαđιý

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My 04 got rear ended 2 years ago too, but I had it toed to my shop where my mechanic hooked me up. Suggested to the adjuster that the car was in great shape and quoted me for 5k in repairs. They went ahead for the repairs and I asked my mechanic to upgrade all the parts for a 08 TL...rear bumper, lip kit, custom exhaust, lights, etc....you might be in luck too!
Old 12-02-2015, 08:19 PM
Scotch

Body shop estimate came to $7400. It's totaled.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:15 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
make sure you negoitate on the insurance company for the check they give you. A lot of times they will low ball you even though they used a higher figure value when figuring out if it was totaled or not.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:24 PM
Life Connoisseur

Sorry man, sucks for what looked like a well maintained TL.

At least you didn't cash a $4,200 check.
scottn3 (12-04-2015)

Quick Reply: Are they going to total my car?