Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are these brakes a good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 03:05 PM
**The Catfish**

Received 549 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by vr6vdub

They can't be resurfaced so they may actually cost more money. If you're buying them for looks, go ahead but don't think they're going to increase stopping performance in any measurable way. Good fluid and SS lines would be a better investment.
i dont know how there isnt a measurable difference in braking power noticed... i felt an immediate difference in braking power.

ss lines are a huge waste for the street.. I have never had a rubber line rupture on my and have had an ss line rupture. really scary trust me.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:22 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Majofo

So first they're overkill for the street, now their inadequate for the street.. what's your point?

That they're both overkill and possibly worse than OEM.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:24 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
The brembos can get plenty hot enough on the street to warrant both ss lines and drilled/slotted rotors.

Don't forget, this is an enthusiast website.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:25 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Sick TLS
i dont know how there isnt a measurable difference in braking power noticed... i felt an immediate difference in braking power.
Could it be because you just put new brakes on? Did you measure braking distances before and after?

ss lines are a huge waste for the street.. I have never had a rubber line rupture on my and have had an ss line rupture. really scary trust me.
Buy better quality lines? They can't be inspected for wear though so they aren't fit for the street either.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:28 PM
**The Catfish**

first of all, they are at least 10x better than oem.

lets examine this for a second, the braking surface is less, however the blank rotors are more prone to warping because they do not disperse heat nearly as effeciently as the drilled/slotted rotors.

second, there is less of a bite that the pads can get on the rotors... with the drilled/slotted rotors, there is more bite therefore, better stopping power. i can tell you from expreience that these pads and rotors are far superior to the stock brembo blanks for braking, with exponentially less dust, and best of all, they look 100x better than the rusted sh** that stock blanks are known for
Old 05-07-2012, 03:30 PM
**The Catfish**

Could it be because you just put new brakes on? Did you measure braking distances before and after?

Buy better quality lines? They can't be inspected for wear though so they aren't fit for the street either.
had them on my car for a months now and havent had one complaint. they still stop like the first day and Im sure sharksbreath will chime in here in a minute, hes had them on his car for even longer than I and he brags on how great they are.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Maharajamd
The brembos can get plenty hot enough on the street to warrant both ss lines and drilled/slotted rotors.

Don't forget, this is an enthusiast website.
http://www.xtremeimportperformance.c...ed-rotors-myth

Vented rotors make use of this by increasing the surface area and airflow and directionally vented rotors are even more effective. A vented or directionally vented rotor acts in a similar fashion to an impeller blade/wheel (like a turbo compressor or hairdryer). The spinning action forces air outwards from the center and it induces airflow through the rotor with cold air being sucked in at the center and the hot air being flung out the edges. Vented rotors dissipate heat much better than non-vented rotors and directionally vented rotors improve the effectiveness.

Crossdrilling on the other hand does NOT show appreciable cooling differences when in use. They will help cool the rotor qucker when the car is stopped and sitting but they actually REDUCE the heat capacity of the braking system when the car is being driven hard maing the brakes actually run a little hotter. So you're thinking, "Wait a minute,... say what? If increasing surface area means better heat dissipation, then more holes means more surface area, so it should help at least a bit right?" Wrong.

The crossdrilled holes do not act the same as the vented passages in the rotor. The venting is radial to the rotation and draws air through the vanes. the cross drilled holes are axial to rotation. The difference in airflow when you're blowing through a straw (the vented vanes) as opposed to blowing across the hole of the straw is huge. Now you're thinking, yeah, but they use devices like paint guns that work by drawing paint out of the bottle by blowing compressed air over the thin tube. Well, you're talking about Bernoulli's principle here.

Fast moving air has lower pressure than slow moving or stagnant air. The fast moving air over the tube is at lower pressure than the air in the spray gun bottle so the higher pressure pushes paint out and Voila, you're apinting your car/house/whatever. The principle doesn't work when the air is moving fast over both ends of the tube (in this case, the hole drilled through the rotor. There is no significant airflow through those holes when the rotor is spinning and any airflow is FAR less tha the airflow through the vanes in a vented rotor. Ah... now you see,... but wait, wasn't there a mention of higher temps due to cross-drilling? Even if the airflow is minimal in the drilled holes, why would it cause higher temps? Because it reduces the mass of the rotor, thus reducing it's capacity for absorbing heat.

What happens when you use your brakes hard? Well the brakes get hot obviously. But what would a brake rotor temperature chart look like? Well, upon first application of the brakes, the temp rise is very rapid and increase as long as the brakes are applied and the wheels are still turning (friction still producing more heat). then when you let off the brakes, the temps level out and start to drop. They drop faster if the car is stil moving since there's more air flowing over the rotors, but they don't completely cool off that rapidly. if you're driving hard and braking a lot, the rotors never cool off, but each subsequent braking event adds more heat to the rotor potentially before it can dissipate it. This is where rotor size and thermal capacity comes in.

if you plan on driving hard and doing a lot of hard braking, you need to make sure you have enough rotor mass to absorb all that heat because if you don't, you could exceed the thermal capacity of the rotors to act as heatsinks. When that happens, your rotors simply can't dissipate the heat as fast as you're putting them into the rotors and since any guven material of a set mass has a specific thermal capacity, once you reach this point, the rotor cannot efficiently absorb the heat anymore and the brake rotor and pad temperatures will rise very rapidly with each application of the brakes. The temps shoot up fast and high enough to easily exceed the MOT (maximum operating temp) of the brake pads and you get pad fade. You can also get things so hot that it boils the brake fluid in the calipers and this is also where it's possible to actually warp rotors. You can identify a rotor that has really been warped. It changes color. You'll see a bluish boundary somwhere between the rotor and hat as the heat at that point changes the molecular structure of the metal. The heat stress is visible.

Cross-drilling = less mass, = less capacity to absorb heat before this point is reached. when you're running close to the edge of the thermal capacity, the brake system will be consistently a little hotter because it's easier to push the system with less mass and thermal capacity over the edge.

There's also the problem that cross-drilling causes stress risers on the rotors. coupled with the thermal expansion that occurs during braking and repeated hard use, the holes make it much easier to develop deep stress cracks in the rotors. There's a reason NO race team that uses iron rotors has cross-drilled rotors. They use either plain or slotted rotors. The cross-drilling simply reduces the thermal capacity AND weakens the rotor courting the possibility of failure from stress cracks actually leading to a fragged rotor.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:32 PM
Advanced

had them on my car for a months now and havent had one complaint. they still stop like the first day and Im sure sharksbreath will chime in here in a minute, hes had them on his car for even longer than I and he brags on how great they are.
Without data I don't think you can say they stop better than stock.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:37 PM
**The Catfish**

you can believe what you want. Without experiencing these brakes on your car you wont know. im not going to get out a tape measure and take down how long it takes me to stop, go home, put on the blanks and go do it again. I can tell you that there is a huge improvement over stock blanks because i know how my car stopped before vs. now. there is a whole thread talking about this exact thing with plenty of others that have bought the same kit and have experienced the same thing.

to all who are debating buying this kit, it is well worth the money for functionality and cosmetics. for the price Sean (BrakeMotive) is selling them for, how could you go wrong.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:39 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
Im sure sharksbreath will chime in here in a minute, hes had them on his car for even longer than I and he brags on how great they are.
SharksBreath here.

i'm more than satisfied with the quality of these rotors/pads. i think brakemotive is able to sell these so cheap because he bought pallets full of these and got a discounted cost.

are there better packages out there? sure. but for $150 for 4 D/S rotors and ceramic pads...i'll take it.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:40 PM
Advanced

you can believe what you want. Without experiencing these brakes on your car you wont know. im not going to get out a tape measure and take down how long it takes me to stop, go home, put on the blanks and go do it again. I can tell you that there is a huge improvement over stock blanks because i know how my car stopped before vs. now. there is a whole thread talking about this exact thing with plenty of others that have bought the same kit and have experienced the same thing.

to all who are debating buying this kit, it is well worth the money for functionality and cosmetics. for the price Sean (BrakeMotive) is selling them for, how could you go wrong.
Feel free to ignore the facts. Even brake manufacturers say drilled rotors are PURELY for aesthetic reasons.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:51 PM
**The Catfish**

Feel free to ignore the facts. Even brake manufacturers say drilled rotors are PURELY for aesthetic reasons.
i dont ignore the "facts" just to do it. I found a good set of pads and rotors for a great price and went with it. Im not basing my side of the argument on articles i read on the internet (there are articles and "facts" to support both sides), im basing my side of the argument on personal experience. The car stops faster and cosmetically look better than the stock rusted blanks.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:53 PM
Race Director

Received 1,544 Likes on 1,197 Posts
Ok, we all know more surface generally equates to better braking. Thus, drilled rotors are mostly for show.

But curved veins? Not so much.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Advanced

i dont ignore the "facts" just to do it. I found a good set of pads and rotors for a great price and went with it. Im not basing my side of the argument on articles i read on the internet (there are articles and "facts" to support both sides), im basing my side of the argument on personal experience. The car stops faster and cosmetically look better than the stock rusted blanks.
I like how you put "facts" into quotations. The FACT is that without stickier tires you aren't decreasing stopping distances one foot. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just want to prevent the spread of misinformation.

I challenge you to find any reputable source that claims merely drilling your rotors will decrease stopping distance. You will however get less structural integrity and poorer heat dissipation.

I would also like to mention again that you're going to have a hard time finding a shop that will turn drilled rotors potentially costing you more money in the end.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (05-08-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 05:32 PM
Race Director

Received 3,824 Likes on 2,847 Posts
WTF guys. vr6, learn to multiquote. Second, don't tell us that they're "overkill and worse", those conflict each other right there. Third, unless you've tested out the brake package and have valuable info for us to BELIEVE, GTFO. And lastly, if drilled and slotted rotors don't do shit, then why do professional racing teams use them?

/thread, pretty sure OP got his answer within the first few posts.
Mrtastygoody (05-08-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 05:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Undying Dreams
WTF guys. vr6, learn to multiquote. Second, don't tell us that they're "overkill and worse", those conflict each other right there. Third, unless you've tested out the brake package and have valuable info for us to BELIEVE, GTFO. And lastly, if drilled and slotted rotors don't do shit, then why do professional racing teams use them?

/thread, pretty sure OP got his answer within the first few posts.
Overkill probably wasn't the right word.

About your second point, I don't need to install the brake package to know they won't help braking distances one single bit. The stock brakes can overpower (lock-up) street tires. What good is putting "better" brakes on?

Your third point, racing teams drill LARGE rotors to reduce rotating mass and unsprung weight. Additionally, modern F1 cars don't have drilled OR slotted brakes. What does that tell you?
Old 05-07-2012, 05:55 PM
Race Director

I never said they but Brakemotive packages on racing cars. Regardless, the info you're posting doesn't concern anyone, the people with the Brakemotive package bought them for looks, guaranteed, and if they stop just as good if not better then so be it. We don't need you to shove shit down our throat telling us our $150 brakes are worthless. The OP was asking a simple question and he got an answer, if you'd like to continue knowing everything about brakes, move it to another thread.
Sick TLS (05-07-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 05:56 PM

Received 9,506 Likes on 6,175 Posts
Old 05-07-2012, 06:03 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Undying Dreams
I never said they but Brakemotive packages on racing cars. Regardless, the info you're posting doesn't concern anyone, the people with the Brakemotive package bought them for looks, guaranteed, and if they stop just as good if not better then so be it. We don't need you to shove shit down our throat telling us our $150 brakes are worthless. The OP was asking a simple question and he got an answer, if you'd like to continue knowing everything about brakes, move it to another thread.
I never implied race cars use Brakemotive brakes. Additionally, I'm not shoving anything down anyone's throat. I never said the brakes are worthless but after just a few minutes of research, I learned they may actually decrease braking performance. I think that information is absolutely relevant to this thread.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:05 PM
**The Catfish**

Old 05-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Advanced

It seems people get very defensive when confronted with information that contradicts their beliefs.
The following 2 users liked this post by vr6vdub:
justnspace (05-08-2012), Majofo (05-08-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 06:32 PM
**The Catfish**

It doesn't matter.. Just tired of talking in circles.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:37 PM
Advanced

It doesn't matter.. Just tired of talking in circles.
No circles. People keep posting misinformation and I continue to correct them. Go ahead and hold onto your myths though.

Time to give the kid a bath...
Old 05-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Chapter Leader (Midwest Region)

Received 784 Likes on 558 Posts
I think Vr6vdub is Excelerate Performance in disguise trying to get people to not buy Brakemotives brakes.
The following 2 users liked this post by McCollins23:
maharajamd (05-08-2012), Undying Dreams (05-07-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 07:25 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by mccollins23
I think Vr6vdub is Excelerate Performance in disguise trying to get people to not buy Brakemotives brakes.
You'll never know...muahahahaha!!
Old 05-07-2012, 07:44 PM
MV612

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Old 05-07-2012, 07:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Azndjay
Let me guess...you bought drilled rotors too?
Old 05-07-2012, 07:58 PM
MV612

why does it matter? i just brought brakes does it really matter? it stops the dang car
Old 05-07-2012, 07:59 PM
MV612

fyi slotted rotors with ss lines if u must know
Old 05-07-2012, 08:06 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Azndjay
why does it matter? i just brought brakes does it really matter? it stops the dang car
It doesn't really. I just find it funny that I'm being attacked for posting factual information. Being an enthusiast site, you'd think that type of info would be appreciated.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:16 PM
A6 and TL

Received 145 Likes on 123 Posts
No reason to attack vr6vdub. He posted information that is valuable to anyone considering purchasing brakes....not sure why everyone is getting so jumpy. Like said before, this is website for enthusiasts, we share our research/knowledge with others, and vr6vdub was sharing his research that he had done on the brakes.
vr6vdub (05-07-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 08:30 PM
Chapter Leader (Midwest Region)

Received 784 Likes on 558 Posts
Just ordered my Brakemotive slotted and drilled rotors kit I hope my car will stop now.
The following 2 users liked this post by McCollins23:
Mrtastygoody (05-08-2012), Undying Dreams (05-07-2012)
Old 05-07-2012, 08:36 PM
MV612

well no matter what at the end its your money your car so it dont really matter what anyone says. I mean i might come on to ask if anyone like a brand if they dont I still will get it..
Old 05-08-2012, 07:47 AM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
So........ According to vr6vdub....

Mercedes is doing it wrong...

Lexus is doing it wrong...

Lamborghini is doing it wrong...

Ferrari is doing it wrong...

and BMW is doing it wrong...

I have had my brakemotive brakes for about a year and a half now and all I can say is...

I LOVE MY BRAKEMOTIVE BRAKES
The following 2 users liked this post by jonboy10:
Sick TLS (05-08-2012), Undying Dreams (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 07:58 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Originally Posted by Aretardedorange
No reason to attack vr6vdub. He posted information that is valuable to anyone considering purchasing brakes....not sure why everyone is getting so jumpy. Like said before, this is website for enthusiasts, we share our research/knowledge with others, and vr6vdub was sharing his research that he had done on the brakes.
I'd have to agree. Nothing he said was overly "off the board". Most of what he said made sense, and is correct... from what I know. I just don't see how people are trying to use Mercedes, Porsche, or even F1 cars to compare when they have nearly nothing to do with what he's trying to say.

Nonetheless, they're decent breaks (Brakemotive) and I rarely see any complaints. It is almost like comparing Chinese quality steel and American quality steel. Chinese quality steel usually blows, but at times, it can be as good as American grade. Like this situation, usually, a cheaper brand brake package means lesser quality in rotors and pads. Thankfully, not in this case.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:04 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
^i agree.

i think there was a misunderstanding. someone said my brakemotive brakes stop better than OEM. vr6 argued that statement with factual information.

the brakemotive package probably "stops better" because your OEM rotors/pads were at the end of their life cycle and you slapped on some shiny new D/S rotors and beefy pads and were wow'd by the change in stopping distance. makes sense.

i know when i changed mine out, i also flushed the brake fluid and for sure felt an increase in stopping power. new rotors/new pads/new fluid...of course it's going to feel good.

nonetheless, these are nice rotors for what its worth. mine are still shiny to this day and stopping power is fantastic.
The following 2 users liked this post by SharksBreath:
justnspace (05-08-2012), Undying Dreams (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 08:12 AM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts
Despite what is right and what is wrong and what increases heat and what decreases heat, the big companies still use them.
Whether it is to save weight or reduce heat, they still use them. I know that what he copied to this site includes some great information, but if some of the biggest names in the super-car business use drilled and/or slotted rotors, then I will too.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Oh well, once you try BBK you never go back.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:44 AM
FTW

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by TheChamp531
Oh well, once you try BBK you never go back.
I want to make a terrible joke with the BBK acroynm but I will resist.
The following 4 users liked this post by lusid:
CLtotheTL32 (05-08-2012), Mrtastygoody (05-08-2012), SharksBreath (05-08-2012), Undying Dreams (05-08-2012)
Old 05-08-2012, 09:45 AM
Race Director

Quick Reply: Are these brakes a good deal?