3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermometer reading high...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 10:27 PM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That is why I did proximity tests: my reference was a laboratory grade digital thermometer. I mounted it within an inch or so of the TL's sensor, in the morning, in the shade, with the engine cold The readings were within 1 or 2 degrees of each other. As the engine started to warm up, the TL's sensor started to rise too, as the heat from the engine bay affected it, and the rad fan was not on until I cut on the A/C, at which point the TL's indicated temp dropped a bit. But it never again was as close to the "reference" thermometer as it was under the cold-start conditions.[/QUOTE]I measured the temperature in my garage and used a thermocouple reference. I measured near the sensor within a few inches (as best as I could do). I saw similar results to yours, RR.

Personally, I think that Acura did a fine job with their outside temperature display. It sure is a lot better than my Ford Explorer's "+/- 10 Deg F display error if it's your lucky day" outside temperature display.

Besides, in Phoenix the temperature is measure with a different scale: it's basically measured as "really darned hot (+/- really)".

żGotJazz?

P.S. RR: Speaking of Phoenix, I'm strongly considering building a set of those ... maybe before trying the Orions. Your thoughts?
Old 08-05-2004, 05:30 AM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use a mercury "weather service" thermometer that is exact brand that the FAA uses at it's Flight Service Stations for pilot weather reports. They place that mercury thermometer in a wood vented housing...approx 4-5 feet above ground to take the readings at airports. Some of the newer automated weather stations use different methods to take temperature and dew-point readings. My point is that using that thermometer in my garage.....even with the car sitting for days...the reading in the Acura is way too high. I adjusted it down by 3 degrees...but it's still too high. Does anyone know if it's possible to calibrate the digital reading by more than the 3 degrees allowed by the MID. I've asked the dealer, and I get different answers depending on who I speak to. It's not that big of a deal to me, but I'd like to have it adjusted properly if it's possible. Instead of debating how people measure the temperature, and it's accuracy, let's try and figure out how to adjust it...then people can set it the way they like. Anyone know about adjusting it beyond 3 degrees???
Old 08-05-2004, 07:11 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by żGotJazz?
P.S. RR: Speaking of Phoenix, I'm strongly considering building a set of those ... maybe before trying the Orions. Your thoughts?
I am missing something - please clarify your question. My answer will still be build the Orions and be happy. I am going with quilted makorre - visit www.certainlywood.com