3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is there anything you hate about your tl?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 09:49 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought I was the only one having the seat belt issue with it scratching the inside of the B pillar. It kinda pi$$es me off. It's something I don't need to worry about but now I'm forced to or it could look really bad after a few years.

Other than that I have the seat memory issue and my dealer tells me they will call me when Acura has a fix. I do feel the vibration that others have mentioned, but it doesn't seem that bad to me so I'm drivin and smilin!!!
Old 01-30-2004, 10:51 PM
Instructor

I thought I was the only one having the seat belt issue with it scratching the inside of the B pillar. It kinda pi$$es me off. It's something I don't need to worry about but now I'm forced to or it could look really bad after a few years.

Other than that I have the seat memory issue and my dealer tells me they will call me when Acura has a fix. I do feel the vibration that others have mentioned, but it doesn't seem that bad to me so I'm drivin and smilin!!!
Old 01-30-2004, 11:03 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by mspence3

Is it possible this only happens when your seat is staying front?

I mean if your seat generally stays behind the B-pillar, the seat belt could be easy to retrieve. However, if you have to move your seat forward, unfortunately this could be the common problem for ppl doing so...

The gap between B-pillar and chair is too closed.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:22 PM
Instructor

You should be able to set text names (e.g. call letters) to the AM/FM presets, rather than just the frequency. Also, (as someone else pointed out), the XM presets should list the channel name, rather than channel number. Maybe a software upgrade?
Old 01-30-2004, 11:45 PM
Intermediate

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with the TL, but I do have a few complaints.

1. The disclaimer on the NAVI. This I truly do hate. Please give me a check box not to show this again, or better yet, never show it. Fire the lawyer that suggested this! Really irritating!

2. Crummy tires. While I haven't had as many problems as others, I have had some flat spotting. The car pulls slightly to the right as well which I can't completely blame on the tires yet.

3. Lack of ability for the CD/DVD player to play MP3 files.

4. Lack of factory provided AUX input on the stereo to allow an external source such as an external MP3 player to be connected without modifying the XM inputs.

5. The lack of RDS information on the stereo.

6. The MID display not returning to the trip computer.

7. Now I can add the windshield washer level. I haven't run low yet, so I didn't notice it didn't have a warning.
Old 01-31-2004, 12:56 AM
Cruisin'

Re: is there anything about your tl that bothers you?

Originally posted by XjoEnX
EDIT: PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS POST AS HATE TOWARDS THE TL AND BEGIN FLAMING WARS WITH ME, I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF THERE ARE CETAIN THINGS ABOUT IT THAT BOTHERS YOU.

-center console is too fat that it hurt my right knee when i lay it to the side of the console
-driver seat leather is cracking from coming in and out of the car
-seatbelt scratches the pillar between the front and rear door
-seatbelt dented the silver trim along the center console when i buckle up (i dont look for the buckle when i put on my seat belt which is why i dented it, but i do now because of this)
-aluminum grill gets fingerprints and takes too much time to clean
-shape of the exhaust tips and exhaust cutouts (but the look is growing on me)
The only thing I hate is having to say I agree with the right knee problem (cause I luv my TL). For some reason, the console edge catches my right knee at just the wrong spot. It's to the point where the knee is starting to hurt when I'm out of the car after long drives. I was starting to wonder if It was just me. Oddly, adjusting the seat doesn't seem to help much.
Old 01-31-2004, 02:14 AM
Instructor

The stuff in the MID could be more easily organized/navigatable. Really, I love the TL, there are just a few niggles that I wish we could have access to some of the software to fix.
Old 01-31-2004, 01:13 PM
Burning Brakes

I wish there was a pass-through from the center console to the cup holder for my phone charger (like my '02 Type S had).

I wish the disclaimer for the navi would go away.

I wish this thread would go away and never come back. Seriously, this topic and the "how old are TL drivers" topic need to be banned.
Old 01-31-2004, 02:17 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Definitely the disclaimer for the Nav!!!!! If anyone finds out how to rid our lives from this hideous statement, please post. I for one would pay for a soft wear upgrade eliminating this "required only once" item....

Smitty
Old 01-31-2004, 05:13 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by acuraddict
I wish there was a pass-through from the center console to the cup holder for my phone charger (like my '02 Type S had).

I kinda like this thread, gives a place to vent the "little things".

As far as the charger goes, can you use the passthrough from the bottom large area of the center console up to the top tray area for you charger? That's what I do and it works quite well.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:00 PM
Racer

No compass in non navi

Outside temp is only displayed on trip computer. This should be displayed at all times.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:01 PM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

Why would you EVER want to do that?

I can't see a REAL reason for running fog lights without the primary lights as well? Trying to impress girls when you cruise the Sonic drive in? I drove 40 miles past the ZERO miles left point intentionally this evening. Still have 1.3 gallons left. Figure that we can easily go 60 miles after the ZERO point (in city).

Originally posted by Formula 350
My complaint is:

Can not use fog lights without having main lights on...

Having to always hit the button to get the trip information up each time I get in the car... Put up on the MID what I left there prior to turning off the car!!

The brake dust!! 800 miles and they are pretty black... I am sure that I will have to replace the pads quickly.

The computer saying you have ZERO miles when we all know you have about 40 left.

But, this is the best car I have every owned!!
Old 01-31-2004, 10:38 PM
Pro

Re: Why would you EVER want to do that?

Originally posted by ndabunka
I can't see a REAL reason for running fog lights without the primary lights as well? Trying to impress girls when you cruise the Sonic drive in?
Well, today in Houston it is very overcast. So, driving a silver car I blend in with the road and I want people to SEE me. I can turn on my primary lights, but they are designed to light up the road at night. Having the 'fogs' on would allow me to be seen a lot better. So fogs without primary was made for a day like today.

Is this good enough for YOU???
Old 01-31-2004, 11:54 PM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Re: Why would you EVER want to do that?

Originally posted by ndabunka
I can't see a REAL reason for running fog lights without the primary lights as well? Trying to impress girls when you cruise the Sonic drive in?
Though, I'm sure its probably illegal but.... I live on the top of a plateau. In the winter time, when it rains, the top of the hill has really dense fog. The headlights just reflect off the fog, and you can't see a darn thing. If you drive with the fogs without the headlights, it makes it much easier to see the lines on the road. At least with our other cars anyways... (And yes, the headlights are aimed correctly )
Old 02-01-2004, 12:17 AM
Racer

I hate the aluminum strips in the interior. They make the interior look too contemporary and they scratch easily. I bought some additional faux wood that "tones down" the aluminum strips. www.exoticwooddash.com
Old 02-01-2004, 12:25 AM
Racer

Originally posted by casooner90
The only real complaint, and I bought the car even after seeing this, is that the trunk can only hold two full sets of golf clubs. Hard to go out of town on a golf outing with buds. But then again, maybe it's a blessing in disguise in that I don't have to worry about someone spilling their drink in the back seat.

I guess I could also complain about the numerous questions I get at the gas station, or the speed which I find my self when passing, or stupid grin on my face behind the wheel, or.......
It holds 2 full sets of clubs parallel to the rear wheel axle so you can use the rest of the trunk to store stuff. Full size cart bags woud be tough to fit in the remainder of the trunk, but 2 smaller bags may fit.
Old 02-01-2004, 12:27 AM
Racer

Originally posted by Lore
I thought Acura claimed that the trunk could hold 4 golf bags in an effort to prove that their trunk wasn't really _that_ small.
Four carry bags probably fit.
Old 02-01-2004, 01:00 AM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally posted by Formula 350
Can not use fog lights without having main lights on...
I've never had a car with fogs that wasn't wired this way from the factory. I am pretty sure that it's the vehicle code you have a complaint with, not the TL.

Mike
Old 02-01-2004, 01:18 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by dafunda
yeah my gripe. how could TLs not have a low washer-fluid indicator. Such a basic feature especially needed on the east coast. i had thought the pipes froze when it ran out initially.
According to the manual they DO have a low washer fluid indicator.. It comes up on the MID when you have low fluid.. it is at the beginning part of the manual.. look it up!
Old 02-12-2004, 11:17 AM
Instructor

I don't like all the rattles coming from the dash sometimes. Well, all cars do this to some degree, but my main complain or wish list would be a rear wheel drive.

Other than that, 04 TL is almost near perfect. I love the exterior, love the interior design and its ergonomics. I'm already getting spoiled by nav, XM, bluetooth phone connectivity, on and on and on...
Old 02-12-2004, 11:19 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by svtmike
I've never had a car with fogs that wasn't wired this way from the factory. I am pretty sure that it's the vehicle code you have a complaint with, not the TL.

Mike
Nope, it's up to the manufacturer. Here's the list of my cars that could use the fog lights without the main lights:

'79 Mustang Pace Car
'85 Trans Am
'90 VW Corrado
85.5 Porsche 944
'94 Porsche 968
'01 Mustang GT (but not my '98 GT - weird)

Although in Florida it seems that everyone uses their fog lights every chance they get - and the more poorly aimed they are, the better
Old 02-12-2004, 12:25 PM
Advanced

it drinks too mush gas.....well, but I drive it fast... so... :P
Old 02-12-2004, 02:36 PM
Instructor

I really like the car, but every car has issues. If people never talked about what they dislike, cars would not improve from year to year.

GRIPES:

1. No "low washer fluid" indicator. This actually really pisses me off. I've run out of fluid a few times with no warning on the highway. How hard would that have been to put in. My Checy truck has it, so have all my other "recent" vehicles.

2. ****ty standard tires. This is true of many high-end vehicles though, and it really isn't the "car", its an accessory.

3. Rattles when it first warms up.

4. I'd like "both" mirrors to tilt down in reverse as an option.

5. I'd like a heated steering wheel option.

6. MP3 support would have been really nice.

7. Torque steer is noticable.

I guess that's about it. None of these really bother me much, except for #1, that has actually infuriated me at times.

Ryan
Old 02-12-2004, 07:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
Originally posted by svtmike

Mike
I did a bit of poking around on this tonight. The Federal Vehical Safety Standard specifically relegates fog and auxiliary lights to state regulations, except that they cannot obscure any federally required lighting.

The car manufacturers then probably require their vehicles use a wiring scheme for fogs that is compatible with all state regulations. I'd guess the solution set to that requirement is pretty limited.

Mike
Old 02-12-2004, 07:53 PM
10th Gear

The only thing I dislike about my 2002 Type S is the right windshield wiper. It does not go up like the left side does (and all the other Hondas I have owned), which makes it hard to clean.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:05 AM
Pug
Team Camel, VP for Zaino

After 1 month, and 1,400 miles - I can honestly say I love this car.

I have only 2 gripes:

1) Should have listened to wife and gotten a darker interior color. Having 2 kids in the Northeast during winter doesn't bode well with the Camel interior.

2) Cup holders: (a) can't put a water bottle in there without it being in the way when trying to shift, (b) Dunkin Donuts cups: the 14oz cup is just the right size that it sinks almost all the way into the holder so that only the lid is sticking out, and the 20oz cup can get really jammed in there. (c) Starbucks - I can't stand to drink it myself, but I keep a supply of supermarket plastic bags in my trunk when I get it for others. That way the overflowing foam doesn't get all over the cup holder.

Otherwise, viva la TL ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Old 02-26-2004, 10:10 AM
10th Gear

Haven't even bought yet, so where do I get off "hating" anything?

But there are a few things I've had in other cars that I'll miss on this one... a couple that come quickly to mind are (at least as far as I'm aware) side mirror defrosters and heated windshield wipers. The last few winters we've had some pretty nasty ice storms and having this stuff on my Forester has been a serious plus. An auto-dimming mirror w/ compass would've been nice too. Also liked the power-assisted steering column adjustment I saw in the Maxima...but how often is that going to matter?

Didn't know about the Navi disclaimer. Ugh.

Other than that... the waiting is killing me!
Old 02-26-2004, 10:14 AM
10th Gear

Ummm...so like 2 minutes later I'm reading some other threads, where I see a discussion of the....heated mirrors....

Well, all I can say is, it ain't in the brochure!

Mr. Know-Nothing will shut up, cover his red face and go away now.....
Old 02-26-2004, 10:43 AM
Advanced

The carpet mats are so cheapo.

With the foam backing, light weight and thin pile they would not even meet KMart standards (does KMart even have standards?).

I thought the mats in my S2000 were bad but the TL mats are terrible.

In contrast, the all season mats for the car are very high quality.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No inflatable playmate, not as fast as a GT 40, no reclining rear seats a la Maybach, the sub does not crack the windows, the tweeters do not interfere with satellite communications, when driving upside down in a tunnel the EL 42 tend to vibrate and loose traction, AND I DIDN'T GET A F*CKING PEN!!!!
Old 02-26-2004, 03:57 PM
Intermediate

Does anyone else feel that the turning radius on this car is pretty bad? My only previous car was a 95 Jeep Cherokee, and that had a tighter turning radius than the TL. I always try making what I feel should be easy U-turns, and they turn into K-turns. Annoys me, along with the rattles that still come from various places even after two trips into service.

(But I still LOVE this car!)
Old 02-26-2004, 04:05 PM
Comptech Freak

Re: is there anything about your tl that bothers you?

Originally posted by XjoEnX
EDIT: PLEASE DO NOT TAKE THIS POST AS HATE TOWARDS THE TL AND BEGIN FLAMING WARS WITH ME, I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF THERE ARE CETAIN THINGS ABOUT IT THAT BOTHERS YOU.

-center console is too fat that it hurt my right knee when i lay it to the side of the console
-driver seat leather is cracking from coming in and out of the car
-seatbelt scratches the pillar between the front and rear door
-seatbelt dented the silver trim along the center console when i buckle up (i dont look for the buckle when i put on my seat belt which is why i dented it, but i do now because of this)
-aluminum grill gets fingerprints and takes too much time to clean
-shape of the exhaust tips and exhaust cutouts (but the look is growing on me)
i bet u would still find such problems in a bentley
Old 02-26-2004, 05:55 PM
Pro

Re: Re: is there anything about your tl that bothers you?

Originally posted by samkws
i bet u would still find such problems in a bentley

No doubt!

I swear they should change the name of this forum to the "B*tches and Complaints" forum. I'd say that either the new TL is a steaming pile of poop (which I HIGHLY doubt) or most people on here are very hard (impossible??) to please.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:20 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by gregory28
I hate the aluminum strips in the interior. They make the interior look too contemporary and they scratch easily. I bought some additional faux wood that "tones down" the aluminum strips. www.exoticwooddash.com
Can you get faux wood pieces that cover over the aluminum strips?
Old 02-26-2004, 07:36 PM
Intermediate

Wink

It did'nt come with a Mini-TL :p
Old 02-28-2004, 07:45 PM
Instructor

Re: Re: Re: is there anything about your tl that bothers you?

Originally posted by jwaters943
No doubt!

I swear they should change the name of this forum to the "B*tches and Complaints" forum. I'd say that either the new TL is a steaming pile of poop (which I HIGHLY doubt) or most people on here are very hard (impossible??) to please.
Oh, come on. Is the TL _absolutely_perfect_ in your optinion? People are just saying what bugs them, there must be a few items which bug you as well? No one's saying that the TL is crap due to these, it's just kinda fun to talk about what they could do better.

For me, I'd like SMS msgs to come up on the MFD from my phone, I'd like driving lights + lower down fog lights that operate independently of the Xenon's.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:09 PM
Pro

Re: Re: Re: Re: is there anything about your tl that bothers you?

Originally posted by Woodstock
Oh, come on. Is the TL _absolutely_perfect_ in your optinion? People are just saying what bugs them, there must be a few items which bug you as well? No one's saying that the TL is crap due to these, it's just kinda fun to talk about what they could do better.

For me, I'd like SMS msgs to come up on the MFD from my phone, I'd like driving lights + lower down fog lights that operate independently of the Xenon's.
I never said it was perfect. My response was directed towards someone who was being petty and cricizing the TL for the most trivial of issues. There is no such thing as a perfect car, but for the money the TL is one of the best near luxury sedans I can think of.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:17 PM
1st Gear

Love It!!!!!

Well... The only thing I don't LOVE is the poor voice recognition - kind of makes it not so wothwhile. A little embarassing when you show of you 'smart' car to you friend by asking for XM station 23 and the temperature is reset!
Old 03-27-2004, 06:45 PM
6th Gear

Don't like the aluminum strips
My right knee hurts too
Navi disclaimer sux
Small trunk
Needs higher end speaker
Should play MP3 files
Both mirrors should adjust when in reverse
Passenger seat back should heat up
Paint chips easily
Would have liked a wood steering wheel like Lexus
Faux wood looks pretty good, but real wood is better, and dash needed more of it
Resolution on the screen is very poor.
User interface is poor; some parts are ridiculous - you can tell they did not do extensive computer/human interface testing
Could be much more PDA functionality in the screen
With bluetooth, should be able to sync with your palm
Needs a hard drive for MP3 storage, and 802.11b radio for sync with home server when coming into garage
Brand appeal should be better. So many still just say it's a Honda.
It's a lot harder to get in and out of then my Jeep was.
Needs more storage.
The fact that now that I have such an awesome automobile, I have to invest more time into taking care of it and understanding it and appreciating it and figuring out how to upgrade it and determining what I want in my next extremely awesome automobile.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:28 PM
6th Gear

Headlights

I know I'm supposed to love the X highlights, but I hate them. They really do have a sharp cut off and when going down a hill you wind up wishing you could see further down the raod and you can't. Also, my left is ever so slighty higher than the right which creates a shelve.

Other than this semi-small complaint... I LOVE THIS CAR!

Quick Reply: is there anything you hate about your tl?