3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tha TL's Time Might Have Expired

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 11:09 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I wanted to spend that much for a car (say 55,000), I'd go another 10 grand and purchase a 545i, which is a real driver's car. And if I wanted to go another 10 grand, it would be a 645i.

But I'm on the list for an M5, not to replace my TL (there's just too much to love about the TL), but as my weekend sport through the canyons car (I used to do that with a motorbike, but I've gotten older and more concerned about idiots driving SUV's not paying attention to my bike).

I don't need any convincing. For the price level, there just are no cars that are better, and only one that MAY be close, the G35, than the TL. I do not feel I compromised on anything at this price point, and actually feel like I got several bonuses (DVD-A, Bluetooth, good ergonomics).
Old 04-18-2005, 11:11 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,671 Likes on 932 Posts
Originally Posted by EZZ
I drove the ES330 all day on sunday and man, that car's quality is unbelievable. Not one rattle or sound in the cabin...like a soundproof room. The plastics quality is just better than any car under $40k. Sit in the car and the quality difference between it and the TL, G35, 330 are pretty large IMO. The car was boooorrring as hell to drive though. Absolutely no sport whatsoever. I can't believe any car enthusiast would ever consider that car. Its like a floating living room

In my experience with the ES, I have to agree with you 100%!!!! Great car but it has NO sporting intentions. (Which probably explains why over 60% of ES buyers are middle aged women. )
Old 04-18-2005, 11:59 AM
AVB for President!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Most difficult to read

This has to be, by far, bar none, the most difficult thread to read.. Or at least difficult in terms of some responses by some individuals...

Believe me, even if you were pulling in $20/hr, working 40hrs a week, it would still be somewhat a stretch to pay for everything, assuming that there are other bills to pay (rent, utilities, food, non-reoccuring costs, gas, maintenance (not just for the car, relationship, etc).

Assuming 50 work weeks a year (2 weeks off due to holiday or what not), you'll be working 2000 hours, which comes out to $40k a year. After taxes, that comes out to about $29k or so (this doesn't even include 401k deductions, if any).

Per month, that comes out to $2400. At your age and experience, if you put $8k down on it (speaking of which it'd be tougher if you had to come up with this yourself), the car itself will cost about $1000/month (assuming $4.9% apr, 60month).This includes insurance ($300+/mth) and gas ($130+/mth), but NO maintenance.

This leaves you with about $1400.. Add in rent (rent for me is $650/month), and that reduces what you have left to $750. Utilities (including phone and internet), comes out to about $150-200/month. That leaves you with $550. Food (and admit it, you won't want to cook in every day) will cost about $300-400 (or more) per month (obviously I'm assuming $10/day or so). That leaves you with about $250 (at most).

$250/month multiplied by 12 = $3000 for an entire year. That's a whole $3000 to spend on registration fees, and EVERYTHING else you could imagine. I don't know about you, but that doesn't seem like a very comfortable cushion for me. That comes out to less to $8.22 of free spending cash per day. Big whoop.

Obviously each individual's costs will vary, but I would say that you should be making at least 1.5 times the MSRP of the car (1.5 x 35k = 52.5k) to live reasonably well (not many luxuries however, but you'll be able to pay for utilities, food, etc) after the purchase of the car.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:22 PM
TL hacker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by BaLLzZz
Today at work i noticed my boss had the gs430 the car i have been wanting for about 6 months now. I was talking to him about it for about twenty minutes. He then said come on lets go for a ride. He opened it up on side streets nice sound not cheap but not silent engine sound. The interior is just perfect. Then he pulled over and told me to drive. I was liek you trust me? He said dont worry i trust your brother(dun worry). So i drove it. It picks up quicker than the tl. 0-60 quicker. Better handling. Nicer ride. Beatiful stock rims. More interior room. Sport mode/sport shift, dvd player in dash the whole nine yards. And let me tell you i have felt a lot of sterring wheels but this stearing wheel id by far the most comfortable to the hand. I was in awe the whole ride. I am going to look at one soon. If the numbers are right im going to have to give up the tl. Only time will tell.
I hear Peter Pan is in town looking for you.
Old 04-18-2005, 01:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TLTrance
This has to be, by far, bar none, the most difficult thread to read.. Or at least difficult in terms of some responses by some individuals...

Believe me, even if you were pulling in $20/hr, working 40hrs a week, it would still be somewhat a stretch to pay for everything, assuming that there are other bills to pay (rent, utilities, food, non-reoccuring costs, gas, maintenance (not just for the car, relationship, etc).

Assuming 50 work weeks a year (2 weeks off due to holiday or what not), you'll be working 2000 hours, which comes out to $40k a year. After taxes, that comes out to about $29k or so (this doesn't even include 401k deductions, if any).

Per month, that comes out to $2400. At your age and experience, if you put $8k down on it (speaking of which it'd be tougher if you had to come up with this yourself), the car itself will cost about $1000/month (assuming $4.9% apr, 60month).This includes insurance ($300+/mth) and gas ($130+/mth), but NO maintenance.

This leaves you with about $1400.. Add in rent (rent for me is $650/month), and that reduces what you have left to $750. Utilities (including phone and internet), comes out to about $150-200/month. That leaves you with $550. Food (and admit it, you won't want to cook in every day) will cost about $300-400 (or more) per month (obviously I'm assuming $10/day or so). That leaves you with about $250 (at most).

$250/month multiplied by 12 = $3000 for an entire year. That's a whole $3000 to spend on registration fees, and EVERYTHING else you could imagine. I don't know about you, but that doesn't seem like a very comfortable cushion for me. That comes out to less to $8.22 of free spending cash per day. Big whoop.

Obviously each individual's costs will vary, but I would say that you should be making at least 1.5 times the MSRP of the car (1.5 x 35k = 52.5k) to live reasonably well (not many luxuries however, but you'll be able to pay for utilities, food, etc) after the purchase of the car.

It's called "post drift"where the initial post's point or meaning is lost after 5-6 replies Speaking of which what does 20/hr have anything to do with it...

To live reasonably well in the northeast, you must be established in your career and earning 3x the cost of a TL. To live well it better be about 6 x the cost of a tl. And nobody buys the TL because it is a step up, they buy it because it is enough. Those that want to step up are buying real luxury cars.

Or, get hitched to one of those middle aged gals buying the 38K lexus with their ex old man's cake. Sorry gals... just having a little fun!!!
Old 04-18-2005, 01:58 PM
AVB for President!

Yeah, $20/hr has really nothing to do with the first post, but I was illustrating that even getting paid a wage that on the surface may look good, may not be sufficient for paying for the TL.

$100k per year is more than sufficient.. (roughly 3x the cost of the TL).. Unless you also have home mortgage payments, I think its way more than enough (maybe I live a fairly moderate/less-expensive lifestyle).. I live in the Bay Area and its just as expensive as it is there..
Old 04-18-2005, 02:01 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by mickey3c
It's called "post drift"where the initial post's point or meaning is lost after 5-6 replies Speaking of which what does 20/hr have anything to do with it...
Well said.

... And nobody buys the TL because it is a step up, they buy it because it is enough....
LOL, , I bet some ppl will totally agree what you said above...
Old 04-18-2005, 03:40 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 4,294 Likes on 2,649 Posts
Also agree, the ES is a nice car with excellent quality materials and build but is quite boring to drive compared to a 3rd gen TL.

Originally Posted by F23A4

In my experience with the ES, I have to agree with you 100%!!!! Great car but it has NO sporting intentions. (Which probably explains why over 60% of ES buyers are middle aged women. )
Old 04-18-2005, 05:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 3,864 Likes on 2,031 Posts
And nobody buys the TL because it is a step up, they buy it because it is enough. Those that want to step up are buying real luxury cars.
For me it was both a step up (it is the most feature-rich and expensive car I've ever owned) and enough. I don't aspire to buy the most expensive car I can afford.

Mike
Old 04-18-2005, 06:06 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by n3o
GS430/330=RWD 3.3 Liter V6/4.3 Liter V8
TL=3.2 Liter V6 FWD

you can never compare a TL to ANY lexus
and for the record.....LS430>GS

You are obvisouly stuck on the street credibility and not the facts. The only Acura that is probally not worthy of comparing to a Lexus is the RSX. The rest of Acura's lineup are very worthy of being a Lexus competior.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:45 PM
TL hacker

Originally Posted by n3o
GS430/330=RWD 3.3 Liter V6/4.3 Liter V8
TL=3.2 Liter V6 FWD

you can never compare a TL to ANY lexus
and for the record.....LS430>GS
Oh yeah? I'll take a TL over an ES330 any day!
Old 04-18-2005, 09:32 PM
Team SSM

Originally Posted by n3o
The GS430 and LS430 have the same motor, same brakes, same everything with the exception of the suspension. The LS has an adjustable stiffness. and the LS and GS are the same catagory. Sept for people that want fugly cars they get the GS. if they can opt to spend 10 more grand they get an LS. Which by the way shits on the S-class, 7 Series, and M45 when it comes down to dollar and options
hey hey, Dont be dissing the M45. in no way it competes with s-class, 7 series, or the LS. It goes from 50k-60k.

heh, just had to point that out because I love that car.

I also heard that a new LS 430 will be coming out next year and it'll be awd.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow. I finally got threw the entire thread! Damn - a tough read like many said. From what I gathered, all the kid said (Ballllz or whatever) was that he was blown away by the quality and performance of the new GS and thus was considering trading in the TL. Thus in his viewpoint, his TL's time had expired. He may have stated this somewhat ambiguosly, but thats no reason to go freakin psycho like some of the people on this thread.

Like the kid said, his parents provide him with food and shelter, so stop making bullshit calculations about mortgage etc. He obviously doesn't have to worry about such things at thjis stage in life. Assuming his parents are financing his college education or whatever, he still wont have any major expenses. If he's a junior in high school right now, thats 5 years ahead of him that he doesnt have to worry too much about. In that 60 month period he could easily purchase a GS and pay for it out of his own pocket - he obviously was capable enough to pay for the TL (so he claims).

And stop making ridiculous approximations of how much he earns etc. We dont know. A friend of mine who graduated last year, bought himself a 350z and wrote a cheque for the whole thing. Why? Cause he started some kind of internet based business and made a killing. Contrary to what some of the individuals on this forum might think, mowing lawns isnt the only source of income for teenagers. Furthermore, since he only has car payments and cell phone billls to worry about, he can afford to dump pretty much every single penny he earns on a car.

In conclusion, stop trying to preach to the kid and digress into interviews and business attire and whatnot bullshit. Respect his decision, and try to offer some uselful insight into both vehicles. This is afterall an AUTOMOTIVE forum.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:46 PM
Pro

Well beleive it. Its called busting your ass while your young for what you want. Just think about it at the least u make 400 a week thats 1600 a month 800 to the car say liek 150 to gas thats 650 left for modding and spending money so say like 400 a month elft for modding and thats only making 400 a week its really not that hard to understand
How about $200 for a car, $100 for gas and $1300 in the bank. If kids your age were smart I won't have to support you when I'm 50 years old. But unforturnately too many of you are worried about what everyone else thinks instead of looking ahead. It's cool to have some nice stuff now, but believe me, you'll wish you kept some aside because you'll never have that percentage of income available for use again in your life.

Anyway, the GS was very small in the driver's seat from side to side. I though the IS350 looks much nicer and is a much better value. I hear it will have 300+ HP which should do very nice.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:51 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by donkeykang
Buddy, let me educate you on the business world. I have been actively seeking a role in business since the age of 13 and successfully put up my own business for a year at the age of 16 and recently shut it down due to lack of time. Regardless of people skills, education serves as a prerequisite to a copasetic financial life. The way you speak online already shows that you do not know how to properly address people with correct decorum necessary in the business sense. When dealing with customers, you not only need to show that you are educated, you need to approach them in a sensible and composed manner. Realistically speaking, you're correct in the sense that degree doesn't always mean money because at this current moment in time in the United States, degrees earned are being wasted exponentionally. However, the success rate is much higher for entering a middle class income. For a real world example, selling cars...like you said. In the application process the employee in charge of selecting the qualified applicants to interview would prefer college diploma over high school diploma anyday. During the interview process would be where you show off your "people skills," however without the proper foundation, your people skills will prove to be useless. Do you also realize that real estate requires classes to attain a license? Real estate is a growing market, but people skills alone won't give you success in real estate. If you say you could be a stock broker, you would also have to know what you're talking about. For example, explaining the workings of GDP(GNP), market trends, what a small cap is, the ability to build confidence in the investor that the value of the dollar won't continue to plummet(as there's a trade in-balance), etc. I'm not trying to criticize you, but before you speak, know what you're talking about. Personally, I've screwed up in high school by being lazy, partying, etc. and am not ending up at any of the top tier colleges I originally intended to go to. Financial success isn't peaches and cream, it takes a lot of hard work, dedication, and commitment.
Don't forget that you'll need to speak to people like a human, not like a set of stereo instructions.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:04 PM
Pro

Donkey why must i talk online in such a manner that could be unserstood by only the adult class. I am online thats the whole reason im online to talk about my car and have fun.. I am also not criticizing you but their is no need for me to talk in a business manner. I am not conducting business here so i am not going to act like i am. I also agree with you on the statement of more consideration given to those with a doplome verses ones without. But once again everyone in here is looking at this thing threw a regular american blue coller citizen perspective. I am not that. I as of noe have those jobs selling cars do not need interviews and so on. I also think if you do show an interviewer you have more drive and ambition and people skills you will be more favored in getting a job depending ont he postion you are appling for. I also beleive the same in the stock market field. Go in get hired bottem shelf. Learn the basics once you build your foundation you can expand without limitations you just need to see the openings. See them and act before some one else does thats all this economy is built off of is time the world couldn't conduct business with out it. It is a key factor and once you can use time in your favor you can be successfull in whatever your field might be. You may or may not agree with my opinions or beleives but thats another reason we live in this country. O can i ask you guys one more thing what did all our great early american business men have. A brain and a vision. Thats all no diplomas or educations just a vision. I dont care how young i might be or how stuipd you might think i am but let me tell you this. If you have a vision and never give up at that vision it will one day come true. If it takes a year or a lifetime the only thing that will not let you see your vision is lack of determination.
LOL, that picture is killing me. As I'm reading this all I can picture is him waving his hands all over the place like Lawrence Fishbourne in King of New York.
Old 04-18-2005, 11:13 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by AdamNJ
maybe no one else has gotten this...but this is hilarious!
http://stuntaz.cjb.net/

I got it. I was very disturbed when I first came across this.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:06 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by vishnus11
Wow. I finally got threw the entire thread! Damn - a tough read like many said. From what I gathered, all the kid said (Ballllz or whatever) was that he was blown away by the quality and performance of the new GS and thus was considering trading in the TL. Thus in his viewpoint, his TL's time had expired. He may have stated this somewhat ambiguosly, but thats no reason to go freakin psycho like some of the people on this thread.

Like the kid said, his parents provide him with food and shelter, so stop making bullshit calculations about mortgage etc. He obviously doesn't have to worry about such things at thjis stage in life. Assuming his parents are financing his college education or whatever, he still wont have any major expenses. If he's a junior in high school right now, thats 5 years ahead of him that he doesnt have to worry too much about. In that 60 month period he could easily purchase a GS and pay for it out of his own pocket - he obviously was capable enough to pay for the TL (so he claims).

And stop making ridiculous approximations of how much he earns etc. We dont know. A friend of mine who graduated last year, bought himself a 350z and wrote a cheque for the whole thing. Why? Cause he started some kind of internet based business and made a killing. Contrary to what some of the individuals on this forum might think, mowing lawns isnt the only source of income for teenagers. Furthermore, since he only has car payments and cell phone billls to worry about, he can afford to dump pretty much every single penny he earns on a car.

In conclusion, stop trying to preach to the kid and digress into interviews and business attire and whatnot bullshit. Respect his decision, and try to offer some uselful insight into both vehicles. This is afterall an AUTOMOTIVE forum.
if he doesn't want to take the advice of what others have to say he certainly does not have to. his priorities and decisions are ultimately his own and it does not effect anyone here one bit. given the comments that most people have provided i would say that it is positive concern rather than just plain preaching. if anyone has come off being a "parent" it is not their intention but plainly their personal viewpoint of the situation and i think it is safe to assume that their comments are not meant to be attacks. remember this is a public forum and people are allowed to speak freely. some things you will agree with and some you might not. i think the "older" members have been relatively respectful and provided strong arguments for their views.
Old 12-12-2005, 01:00 AM
Banned

Yea i wish then i would have a continental gt

Mabey you should listne to carguyrob because he hit the nail on the head. You might think what you want but my expenses are gas and car and cell phone i kno im stupid and wasting money but what the hell why not enjoy myself if i can even thoguh it will hurt me when i get older
this guys an idiot!!! is that you on the avatar cus if it is ...man if I saw you on the streets i would f***ing beat the shit out of you! 4real
Old 12-12-2005, 09:43 AM
7th Gear

You might as well as buy an RL! I know I would!
Old 12-12-2005, 10:05 AM
Oderint dum metuant.

Received 534 Likes on 446 Posts
1) This thread is 8 months old.
2) The originator hasn't been around here in forever.
3) Very little (on the two pages, at least) has anything to do with comparing a GS and TL.
4) Maybe I should go find the oldest open thread and bump it.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:19 AM
Banned

WTf is up with bringing back these old threads?
Old 12-12-2005, 10:27 AM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 217 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by sAnFrAn_G
this guys an idiot!!! is that you on the avatar cus if it is ...man if I saw you on the streets i would f***ing beat the shit out of you! 4real
first off, why in the hell did you bump this thread just to insult someone?????

wtf is wrong with you?? let this be your first warning. actually I take that back. you've been an ass long enough.. enjoy your 10 day vacation.....

Originally Posted by chill_dog
1) This thread is 8 months old.
2) The originator hasn't been around here in forever.
3) Very little (on the two pages, at least) has anything to do with comparing a GS and TL.
4) Maybe I should go find the oldest open thread and bump it.
... all except the part about bumping...

Originally Posted by TCMS
WTf is up with bringing back these old threads?
I dont know but this shit is getting old. Im tired of the the lexus compairson threads. From now on these need to be in Car Talk.