Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Texas TL

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 12:28 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Texas TL

Are any of y'all experiencing the dreaded vibration above 50 mph? If so, have you changed your tires?
Old 12-29-2003, 02:27 AM
Troublemaker

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have never experienced this vibration... wtf??!?!?

or maybe my stereo is turned up too high all the time?

2600 miles
Old 12-29-2003, 05:28 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1,500 Miles, no vibration.

RB
Old 12-29-2003, 08:29 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gbriank
Try getting your tires balanced on a Hunter GSP9700 machine first?

http://www.gsp9700.com
Old 12-29-2003, 05:27 PM
Burning Brakes

I haven't gotten my TL yet. Just getting an idea of any folks here in Texas that may have the flat spotting issue.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:21 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
GbrianK,
I picked up my TL just prior to Xmas. Sat in the garage until today when I went back to the dealer for some accessories. I did not notice any vibration when driving the car home when purchased but it was quite nice out. Today, I drove almost 12 miles to the George Bush Tollway and I swear the flat-spotting issue had yet to go away. It then took just a matter of a minute or two at 70+ mph for it to be totally smooth. Sat at the dealer for about 40 minutes then jumped back on the tollway, no vibration.
Anyway, I had a set of Bridgestone S03 Pole-Position's on my previous car and they too had a bad case of flat spotting. It really didn't matter what the temp, just different degrees of vibration - but only for the first 5 minutes of driving etc. I will say they were great tires even with that exception.
I too will complain in the near future to Acura. If I was king for a day all TL owners/complainers would receive a "cash tire settlement" equal to the cost of the factory tires. A $35K+ car should not have this inferior tire.

Smitty
Old 12-29-2003, 10:08 PM
Burning Brakes

smitty:

thanks! what color/transmission/nav option did you choose? i'm assuming you bought from the plano dealer.....what is your overall impression of the dealer?

I have my TL coming in late February. I am contemplating replacing the EL42s with either Bridgestone LS-Zs or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. Local Bridgestone center offered to swap the tires and add warranties (balance weights, balance labor, rubber stems & road hazard) for $537.
Old 12-29-2003, 10:37 PM
WDP Director of R & D

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by gbriank
smitty:

thanks! what color/transmission/nav option did you choose? i'm assuming you bought from the plano dealer.....what is your overall impression of the dealer?

I have my TL coming in late February. I am contemplating replacing the EL42s with either Bridgestone LS-Zs or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. Local Bridgestone center offered to swap the tires and add warranties (balance weights, balance labor, rubber stems & road hazard) for $537.
Yep, David McDavid..

I opted for a WDP w/Parchment, 5AT w/nav. I never had or liked a "white" car before, but this time out of all the colors, when I initially looked at the TL in October, a WDP TL with tinted windows really caught my eye. I like all of the interior colors but the parchment to me looked more 'luxury".

As for the dealer the sales staff was efficient and very professional, but I hope you did better on price than I. They wouldn't budge much (at all) from sticker on the Navi TL's. I did luck out on my order due to my exact car becoming available early due to an individual backing out on his deposit...
I visited the service dept today for the first time just to meet the folks and inquire about "stuff". A very good friend and co-worker purchased a 2002 TL-S from them and his service to date has been noteworthy, near perfect in his mind. I hope I have the same experience.

As for the tires, if you are going to change them/swap them out, go for the Michelin Sport A/S's. Very good A/S tire with absolutely no flat-spotting what so ever. I had a set on the "lemon 2004 Maxima" that was thank heavens repurchased by Nissan thus able to buy the TL. I also had a set of Michelin Pilot Sports on the vehicle that I put the Bridgestone S03's on... The Michelin's had 42K miles and the Bridgestones were cheaper... Even though the BridgeS's were great tires, hindsight had me wishing I had spent the extra cash and stuck with Michelin. They are buy far the smoothest tires I have owned. The "local Bridgestone dealer" you mentioned, were they offering a switch to the Michelin's for that price??

Take care

Smitty
Old 12-29-2003, 10:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I did better... $1500 off MSRP (Anthracite/Ebony/NAV/Auto). I did have to pay sticker on three options (door guards, body trim and Park Assist). I figure with mark-up and installation I really paid $1250 off MSRP. Not bad for 20 minutes worth of negotiation.

Thanks for the info on the Michelins! I never even mentioned another brand at the time. I was set on the LS-Zs until I heard they flatspotted!! I am HOPING Acura will DROP Bridgestone and start mounting Michelins by the January build date..... Cross your fingers!

Do you live near the Coit/George Bush area? If you don't mind, maybe I could meet you somewhere so as to look at your car. Going to the showroom, you see the cars immaculate. I'd like to see a TL that has been on the open road.

Thanks for the feedback!!! I love this board!