Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test drove a 2012 TL

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 02:19 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Test drove a 2012 TL

I have a 08 TLtypeS and needed to go to the dealer the other day. I bought wheel insurance when I purchased the car in 08. The roads in and around Boston are like mine fields with pot holes, etc. I found the wheel insurance document with my maintenance log and to my amazement had a year left on the coverage. I was given a new wheel after spending a few hours while the dealership conferred with the insurance co.
Long story short, I drove a 2012 SHAWD with Tech package, AT. The car is a beast and hugs the road like a small sports car. List is 43k and change, initally they offered me 16k for my 08 with 40k for the new car. I love the TLS and have 76k mi on it. Today the dealer email me with $17k for the S and $39,800 for the new car. The car is new, a left over, white with black interior, really a nice looking car that flies. Who knows, maybe down the road, but not now.
Bill C
Old 12-15-2012, 02:45 PM
Series Motor's

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
They are trying to rip you off sick status, I think you are forgetting that the TL-S is actual competition for the 4G, and it is a rare car. People keep on crashing them, and they only produced 2000, 1000 for ea year. Those factors alone raise the value of the car, the dealership will sell that car 21k+, the reason why they called you back is probably because a customer is seeking the vehicle. They know they can get it out quick, either way; from limited quantity to other people seeking it out.

You must remember, the car you have the prodigy of honda racing; it is the culmination of everything Acura has made into this very vehicle. Most people do not agree, but I see this vehicle hand in hand with NSX, not that they are equal but they are culmination of motor sports. And also great for the environment at the same damn time and not a gas guzzler thanks to the semi-automatic trans... Hands down genius.

No comments about the 4g
The following users liked this post:
paperboy42190 (12-16-2012)
Old 12-15-2012, 04:06 PM
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by TrustinHFDJ
They are trying to rip you off sick status, I think you are forgetting that the TL-S is actual competition for the 4G, and it is a rare car. People keep on crashing them, and they only produced 2000, 1000 for ea year. Those factors alone raise the value of the car, the dealership will sell that car 21k+, the reason why they called you back is probably because a customer is seeking the vehicle. They know they can get it out quick, either way; from limited quantity to other people seeking it out.

You must remember, the car you have the prodigy of honda racing; it is the culmination of everything Acura has made into this very vehicle. Most people do not agree, but I see this vehicle hand in hand with NSX, not that they are equal but they are culmination of motor sports. And also great for the environment at the same damn time and not a gas guzzler thanks to the semi-automatic trans... Hands down genius.

No comments about the 4g
pretty sure they're are alot more than 2000 type s that were in production... i mean there's 5 in my block alone...
Old 12-15-2012, 04:43 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Yeah you can get a lot more money for the type-s with that mileage... IF you did end up really wanting that 4th gen you should sell the type-s privately.

Originally Posted by you8myrice
pretty sure they're are alot more than 2000 type s that were in production... i mean there's 5 in my block alone...
Can't help but notice you're from Alberta. Where from specifically?
Old 12-15-2012, 04:57 PM
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by Bill C.
I have a 08 TLtypeS and needed to go to the dealer the other day. I bought wheel insurance when I purchased the car in 08. The roads in and around Boston are like mine fields with pot holes, etc. I found the wheel insurance document with my maintenance log and to my amazement had a year left on the coverage. I was given a new wheel after spending a few hours while the dealership conferred with the insurance co.
Long story short, I drove a 2012 SHAWD with Tech package, AT. The car is a beast and hugs the road like a small sports car. List is 43k and change, initally they offered me 16k for my 08 with 40k for the new car. I love the TLS and have 76k mi on it. Today the dealer email me with $17k for the S and $39,800 for the new car. The car is new, a left over, white with black interior, really a nice looking car that flies. Who knows, maybe down the road, but not now.
Bill C
I was thinking about doing the same thing. Test drove a '12 SH-AWD Elite and was quite impressed. Not as good looking as the 3G but drives WAY better. With that said, if you're looking to upgrade, you can get way more than the dealer is offering if you sell it privately. You should have no problem getting rid of it on your own.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 571 Likes on 304 Posts
don't do it, lol.

the dealer as others have said is trying to rip you off. It is WAY easier for them to sell a type-s than it is to move that new 2012 off their lot.

They will most definitely list the type-s for 21k+ if they even list it - they probably already have a buyer lined up.

The bottom line is that sales numbers for 4g TL are wayyyyy lower than 3g, and for good reason. It's just a very divisive car - the 4g is a tough sell to a lot of people due to its aesthetics. This is a fact. All of the new-car salesmen at Acura Brookfield have told me they can't wait for the 5g because sales on the 4g have been difficult for them. IIRC the 4g sales are roughly 60% of what the 3g sales were.

Trust me, they just want your car because it's an easy buck for them.

and WTF they are asking 43k for that 2012? lol it's the end of the year - they should easily be able to dust that thing for 36k if it is a brand new 2012 leftover.

pass pass pass. Don't give up your type-s on a ripoff like that, even if you do want the new TL.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:53 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by TrustinHFDJ

No comments about the 4g
Rare? Definitely not. They made way way more than 2000 Type-S's. The 4th gen SH-AWD is a different beast and it handles better than the 3rd gen Type-S and way way more refined. I owned two 3rd gens and one was a type-s which I miss, but my 2012 is my favorite.
Old 12-15-2012, 06:56 PM
Safety Car

Also a 07 Type-S Trade-In is only worth 15k on a good day with 75k miles. The value on them are dropping more rapidly than you think.

Private Party is still only 18k. The Mileage hurts. I would take the 17k.

Trade-In Value

Excellent
$15,411
Very Good
$15,061
Good
$14,411
Fair
$12,761

Private Party Value

Excellent
$17,936
Very Good
$17,386
Good
$16,886
Fair
$15,186
Old 12-15-2012, 08:53 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 62 Posts
Your seeing eye dog is obviously extemely impressive being able to drive. I presume you must be blind to consider a new TL.
Ruby (12-16-2012)
Old 12-15-2012, 09:46 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by crbnfbr
Your seeing eye dog is obviously extemely impressive being able to drive. I presume you must be blind to consider a new TL.
Nah he just saw the light like most of us who had type-s's too. Give me a fking break seriously.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
Nah he just saw the light like most of us who had type-s's too. Give me a fking break seriously.

Sorry, I didn't mean anything personal by it. Just my poor sense of humor, and it's a wonder you can see anything with those ricer 6000k hids. Why don't you give me a fucking break.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Lol, the love in this thread is strong. Never saw this kind of animosity/polarization between 2g and 3g guys. Guess the controversial styling of the 4g still hasn't settled even after 4+ years.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:32 PM
MechEng

Received 486 Likes on 403 Posts
anyone who doesn't understand why someone would buy a 4G TL obviously hasn't driven one. i had a loaner 2012 SH-AWD 6AT for a week and I had a blast. the power is immense and the grip in the corners from the AWD is mind boggling. I can only imagine how much more fun the 6MT is. I would never consider a FWD Type S over an AWD 4G.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:37 PM
Slot Machine Lubricator

Received 406 Likes on 317 Posts
unfortunately who ever sketched out the type s didnt carry his work over into the 4g, or im sure it would have been a grand slam car for everyone.
those tail lights.. and cubed exhaust pipes
Old 12-15-2012, 11:51 PM
Level: Noob

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
If they would've made an AWD 3G, oooommmmgggg. They would've sold so many.
Old 12-16-2012, 01:11 AM
RPF1+RS3 FTW

Received 273 Likes on 179 Posts
I have had a couple loaner 4Gs as well and they are fantastic to drive. The interior is superb. The styling has grown on me over the years but I still prefer the 3G. Another thing I didn't like about the 4G was it felt quite a bit bigger. Probably a plus for other people. They are great cars and don't get me wrong, I would trade my car for one simply for the AWD.

To the OP, do what you like man but I would haggle them down a little more if you can or sell the type S private party. Around here you could probably get 20k for your car.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:28 AM
UA6
Safety Car

Received 700 Likes on 438 Posts
I would drive your car into the ground and wait for the 5G. Especially if there isn't anything wrong with it. The only reason I dumped mine was because of the tranny issues.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:52 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by UA6
I would drive your car into the ground and wait for the 5G. Especially if there isn't anything wrong with it. The only reason I dumped mine was because of the tranny issues.
That's the plan. I just did the timing belt, both acxles, ball joints, brake bads, flushed the coolant, brake and clutch fluids ,next up will be the rotors. The odometer just rolled over 104,000, and I changemy oil every 3,000 miles with a Mann ML 1002 filter.
I've also been running GM Synchromesh friction modified fluid or should I sat the Ac Delco that's replaced it. The clutch is also in excellent condition. Since I match revs on downshifts and often double clutch as well. Plus, I never sit at a stop light with my foot on the clutch so I don't damage the throughout bearing.

FYI I don't hate the 4g TL, but that grille is probably my least favorite part. Also the C pillar looks a lot like the last generation Altima. That being said my Aunt has a 2012, and while you're inside it's truly a great car especially the added side bolsters compared to the 3g's.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:09 AM
Safety Car

Thumbs up

Sorry, I didn't mean anything personal by it. Just my poor sense of humor, and it's a wonder you can see anything with those ricer 6000k hids. Why don't you give me a fucking break.
Funny because i see way more with them! Ever have anything constructive to say?
Old 12-16-2012, 09:22 AM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
I agree with most here. The 4G is a great car to drive with a very nice interior and handling to die for, but IMO that's where it ends. Even though the 2012's grill improved the looks, it's still just not an attractive car to look at for the most part. It looks huge on the outside, and absolutely does not have the amazing body lines of a 3G Type S. When I have had 2012 SHAWD loaners I enjoyed it, but couldn't stand looking at it. It made me feel older, and even though it was a good driving experience, the looks just ruin it. The 4G will be a generation I will be skipping and hopefully Acura will step it up for the 5G. For now I will keep my 25,000 mile 08 Type S.
Old 12-16-2012, 10:58 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
I agree with most here. The 4G is a great car to drive with a very nice interior and handling to die for, but IMO that's where it ends. Even though the 2012's grill improved the looks, it's still just not an attractive car to look at for the most part. It looks huge on the outside, and absolutely does not have the amazing body lines of a 3G Type S. When I have had 2012 SHAWD loaners I enjoyed it, but couldn't stand looking at it. It made me feel older, and even though it was a good driving experience, the looks just ruin it. The 4G will be a generation I will be skipping and hopefully Acura will step it up for the 5G. For now I will keep my 25,000 mile 08 Type S.
The car is a much larger car than what the 3rd gen was. Remember the 2nd gen TL was bigger than the 3rd gen, then they shrunk it, then made it bigger again. Of course it's going to be bigger. The 2012 refresh which wasn't just the grill, is the reason I got one. It made it look much better. Even though I still love the way the 3rd gen's look, this body style has grown on me.

Maybe because I am 38 years old, the 4th gen looks more mature looking and more of a luxury car.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
It is all about individual tastes. I love the body style of my 2012 TL. The interior is also very refined and inviting. I have the FWD model and it drives fantastic so the SHAWD is just icing on the cake.

For some unknown reason to me the 3G looked great when it first came out but it has aged on my taste buds. I think the boxiness reminds me of the car styles of the 90's. I like the curves and uniqueness of the TL. I hate that when I drove my Altima, I saw one or two or three of them on my commute everyday. I have seen 3 TLs in a month. I like being set apart from the pack but that is just me.

And the cubbed exhausts...that's one of my favorite features.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:13 PM
Burning Brakes

Funny because i see way more with them! Ever have anything constructive to say?
How about this for constructive? Learn to use proper grammer. I know it's a forum, but you don't need to drag it down to a 2nd grade level.

Oh, if you do the math 6000k lights will NEVER match that of 4300k. It's just not possible.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:33 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I appreciate all your comments and most likely will be keeping my 08 S for the for seeable future. As far as the 2012 ShAWD-Tech package not selling, the one I drove is the only left over on the lot. It seems people who buy the AWD-Tech tend to hold on to them. It really is an amazing automobile and would cost in the high fifties if it were a BMW. My 08 S is also an amazing auto for which I'm constantly complimented on.
|Semper FI
Old 12-16-2012, 12:40 PM
Safety Car

How about this for constructive? Learn to use proper grammer. I know it's a forum, but you don't need to drag it down to a 2nd grade level.

Oh, if you do the math 6000k lights will NEVER match that of 4300k. It's just not possible.
Really? You mean Grammar. For someone trying to pick on another's grammar should learn it himself because it is obviously you don't know it yourself while I saw no mistakes in mine.

Wrong, 6k is more WHITE with some blue than 4300k. Suggest you do more research. The closer you are to white, the more light you will get. 4300k is more yellow than white, while 5k is more white than 6k which has more white/blue. In reality, 5k is brighter than 4300k, while 6k is about the same as 4300 without the yellow.

Any higher than 6k is a waste.

Last edited by pimpin-tl; 12-16-2012 at 12:45 PM.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:41 PM
the overexplainer

Received 385 Likes on 337 Posts
money and model year aside, if i had to choose between a TL-S 6MT vs. a 4G SHAWD 6MT, i'd be leaning a bit on the 4G. Interior as said is awesome and the handling is great (i've driven the AT).

i would definitely get the RJ front grille as one of my first mods.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:47 PM
Safety Car

Nah, custom grill looks better than RJ.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:48 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
The roads in and around Boston are like mine fields with pot holes, etc.
That goes double for the New York City area !!

In the 8 years I have the car, I've replaced an average of 1½ wheels a year.

Old 12-16-2012, 12:58 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Nah, custom grill looks better than RJ.

I will say that is hands down the best 4G front end I have seen and it doesn't even have the high end wheels that I like. That Type S looks incredible as well.
So as far as looks go the 3G Type S holds its own even against today's newest cars.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:03 PM
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 97 Posts
Wrong, 6k is more WHITE with some blue than 4300k. Suggest you do more research. The closer you are to white, the more light you will get. 4300k is more yellow than white, while 5k is more white than 6k which has more white/blue. In reality, 5k is brighter than 4300k, while 6k is about the same as 4300 without the yellow.

Any higher than 6k is a waste.
Actually this is wrong. 4100-4300k has the highest lumen output (typically 3100-3400 lumens for D2S) of any HID bulb. Go any higher on the kelvin chart and you lose lumens. Osram's expensive CBI bulbs are one of the only exceptions, as they are 5000k and are rated at 3400lm, which matches or very slightly exceeds the output of typical 4300k bulbs.

As for 6000k, the lumen output is always inferior to 4300k. Phillips makes a legit 6000k version of their 85122 bulb (85122 WX aka "uniton") and its output is a full 1000 lumens less (2400lm vs 3400lm) than their 4300k 85122+ bulbs. Keep in mind that those are bulbs from Phillips, one of the best lighting companies out there, so they are very likely a best case scenario.

The majority of the higher kelvin bulbs (6000k+) for sale on the interwebz are cheap, poor quality stuff made by Chinese who care little about engineering or quality control. Many of these cheap bulbs also simply use 4300k bulbs with blue filtered glass to achieve the bluer color (since altering the salt composition to change the color can be difficult and expensive). Filters always reduce the amount of light transmitted. That's just science.

Some useful reading on the subject here.

On another note, there's a reason why all new cars come with 4300k bulbs and not 6000k. Automakers didn't all settle on 4300k as the standard OE color temp arbitrarily and for no reason. 4300k bulbs are simply better, hands down. They provide the best mix of usable light output, visibility (in the form of color contrast), poor weather performance and lack of eye fatigue.

So with your 6000k bulbs, you are almost assuredly getting less output than stock, while also getting worse poor weather performance and causing yourself more eye fatigue.

Anyways, I know this is way off the thread topic, but I hate to see misinformation spread on the forums.

Last edited by splew; 12-16-2012 at 03:07 PM.
Acura_Dude (12-16-2012)
Old 12-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by splew
Actually this is wrong. 4100-4300k has the highest lumen output (typically 3100-3400 lumens for D2S) of any HID bulb. Go any higher on the kelvin chart and you lose lumens. Osram's expensive CBI bulbs are one of the only exceptions, as they are 5000k and are rated at 3400lm, which matches or very slightly exceeds the output of typical 4300k bulbs.

As for 6000k, the lumen output is always inferior to 4300k. Phillips makes a legit 6000k version of their 85122 bulb (85122 WX aka "uniton") and its output is a full 1000 lumens less (2400lm vs 3400lm) than their 4300k 85122+ bulbs. Keep in mind that those are bulbs from Phillips, one of the best lighting companies out there, so they are very likely a best case scenario.

The majority of the higher kelvin bulbs (6000k+) for sale on the interwebz are cheap, poor quality stuff made by Chinese who care little about engineering or quality control. Many of these cheap bulbs also simply use 4300k bulbs with blue filtered glass to achieve the bluer color (since altering the salt composition to change the color can be difficult and expensive). Filters always reduce the amount of light transmitted. That's just science.

Some useful reading on the subject here.

On another note, there's a reason why all new cars come with 4300k bulbs and not 6000k. Automakers didn't all settle on 4300k as the standard OE color temp arbitrarily and for no reason. 4300k bulbs are simply better, hands down. They provide the best mix of usable light output, visibility (in the form of color contrast), poor weather performance and lack of eye fatigue.

So with your 6000k bulbs, you are almost assuredly getting less output than stock, while also getting worse poor weather performance and causing yourself more eye fatigue.

Anyways, I know this is way off the thread topic, but I hate to see misinformation spread on the forums.

Technically I was correct. I said 5k is the brightest Kelvin and not 4300k. Suggest you please research your facts.

4300k D2S Philips = 3200lm (lumens)
4300k D2R Philips = 2800lm (lumens)
4300k D2S Philips = 2400lm (lumens) actually 5800k
4300k D2R Philips = 2000lm (lumens) actually 5800k
4800k D4S/R (brand) = 3800 (lumens) ** brightest in the market
5800k D4S/R (brand) = 3300 (lumens)
7000k D2S other = 1790lm (lumens) *(other bulb brand)
7000k D2R other = 1390lm (lumens) *(other bulb brand)
8000k D2S other = 1180lm (lumens) *(other bulb brand)
8000k D2R other = 780lm (lumens) *(other bulb brand)

Old 12-16-2012, 03:36 PM
I like turtles

Received 186 Likes on 126 Posts
pimpin-TL you argue too much, chill out.

higher lumens will give you more light output.

6000k just hurts it.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:39 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by IamaTL
pimpin-TL you argue too much, chill out.

higher lumens will give you more light output.

6000k just hurts it.
The fact is I never said 6k was brighter. I said 5k would be the brightest when in fact the other user said 4300k which is not true. 5k is the max you want to go for the brightest bulb and the whitest. 6k still bright but a blue tint to it.

Remember lad, I wasn't the one that started the argument.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,308 Posts
I would trying to sell the the TL-S privately so you can have more money.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:57 PM
Team Owner

Received 6,470 Likes on 5,162 Posts
Come on guys-it's the holidays!

Can't we all just be civil?????? (Consider that a yuletide warning!)

Ho Ho Ho......
Old 12-16-2012, 04:00 PM
Racer

Received 154 Likes on 97 Posts
Technically I was correct. I said 5k is the brightest Kelvin and not 4300k. Suggest you please research your facts.

4300k D2S Philips = 3200lm (lumens)
4300k D2R Philips = 2800lm (lumens)
4300k D2S Philips = 2400lm (lumens) actually 5800k
4300k D2R Philips = 2000lm (lumens) actually 5800k
4800k D4S/R (brand) = 3800 (lumens) ** brightest in the market
5800k D4S/R (brand) = 3300 (lumens)
7000k D2S other = 1790lm (lumens) *(other bulb brand)
7000k D2R other = 1390lm (lumens) *(other bulb brand)
8000k D2S other = 1180lm (lumens) *(other bulb brand)
8000k D2R other = 780lm (lumens) *(other bulb brand)

Care to provide a link to a reputable source to back up your "facts"? How do I know you didn't just type up a bunch of random numbers? Even if you got them from somewhere, how do you know that person didn't make them up? I noticed a lot of those numbers don't even have a brand listed nest to them, but rather a placeholder ("brand" or "other"). That makes it very hard to verify, and very dubious to be honest.

My info was from a Hidplanet thread (very reputable lighting forum) that was a compilation of manufacturer provided bulb specs. I even linked it, but in case you missed it: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...bout-HID-bulbs

As for 5000k being the brightest, as I said before, there is one 5000k bulb that can match or slightly exceed the output of a typical 4300k bulb, and that is the Osram Xenarc CBI. The CBIs cost 2-3 times as much as the typical 4300k bulb for this reason. All other 5000k bulbs from the reputable manufacturers have less output than the 4300k bulbs.

Also, you claimed 6000k was just as good as 4300k. I see no 6000k D2S bulbs in your collection of random numbers. As I said before, the only reputably produced 6000k bulb (the Phillips 85122 WX) is only rated at 2400lm, far inferior to the 3400lm of the 4300k Phillips (85122+). Those are both in D2S BTW.

The fact is I never said 6k was brighter. I said 5k would be the brightest when in fact the other user said 4300k which is not true. 5k is the max you want to go for the brightest bulb and the whitest. 6k still bright but a blue tint to it.

Remember lad, I wasn't the one that started the argument.
Actually, that kind of sounds like what you said. You said you "see way better" with your 6000k bulbs. One would naturally assume that saying you see way better with the bulbs implies that you think they are brighter.\/

Funny because i see way more with them!

Last edited by Steven Bell; 12-16-2012 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Merged Posts
Old 12-16-2012, 05:13 PM
www.colradodetail.com

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I appreciate all your comments and most likely will be keeping my 08 S for the for seeable future. As far as the 2012 ShAWD-Tech package not selling, the one I drove is the only left over on the lot. It seems people who buy the AWD-Tech tend to hold on to them. It really is an amazing automobile and would cost in the high fifties if it were a BMW. My 08 S is also an amazing auto for which I'm constantly complimented on.
|Semper FI
Bill C. - I have had the same offer. Although i have a 08 tls 6MT so they offered me 19.5k for mine with 70k on it. But the mods i have done are all custom done by me. so i have a hard time giving up things that are one of kind! here are two links of my two favorite mods i have made...

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-photograph-gallery-96/red-led-conversion-red-light-up-door-sills-810626/

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-photograph-gallery-96/carbon-fiber-strut-bar-854124/

Its just hard to give up rare things or at least i think they are rare. hard to find a 02' CBR 954RR and i have one of those too.

If my TLS was an Auto tranny i would trade it in for the Manual 4G hands down.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Safety Car

Google is your friend. That is where I got that from. Try using it sometimes. Wow a Forum....many opinions. So we should take that as fact?

Like the Mod said, enough. I am not going to argue any more with your opinion.

Originally Posted by splew
Care to provide a link to a reputable source to back up your "facts"? How do I know you didn't just type up a bunch of random numbers? Even if you got them from somewhere, how do you know that person didn't make them up? I noticed a lot of those numbers don't even have a brand listed nest to them, but rather a placeholder ("brand" or "other"). That makes it very hard to verify, and very dubious to be honest.

My info was from a Hidplanet thread (very reputable lighting forum) that was a compilation of manufacturer provided bulb specs. I even linked it, but in case you missed it: http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/show...bout-HID-bulbs

As for 5000k being the brightest, as I said before, there is one 5000k bulb that can match or slightly exceed the output of a typical 4300k bulb, and that is the Osram Xenarc CBI. The CBIs cost 2-3 times as much as the typical 4300k bulb for this reason. All other 5000k bulbs from the reputable manufacturers have less output than the 4300k bulbs.

Also, you claimed 6000k was just as good as 4300k. I see no 6000k D2S bulbs in your collection of random numbers. As I said before, the only reputably produced 6000k bulb (the Phillips 85122 WX) is only rated at 2400lm, far inferior to the 3400lm of the 4300k Phillips (85122+). Those are both in D2S BTW.

Actually, that kind of sounds like what you said. You said you "see way better" with your 6000k bulbs. One would naturally assume that saying you see way better with the bulbs implies that you think they are brighter.\/
Old 12-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
This is quite the interesting read in here!

Anyway, I feel I must chime in. A similar situation occurred with me. I had my TL-S in for warranty work and they put my in a loaded 2012 SH 6AT.

My thoughts after that go as follow: The 3G is hands-down the best looking and isn't sized like a tank. The 4G, I really enjoyed the interior although I hated it at first. The AWD was too much fun and made the driving experience worthwhile. Still don't like the exterior styling, but not as hideous as the earlier 4Gs.

Oh yeah... to those who talk about the 3G TL-S 6MT being rare, find me a 2012 6MT! I'd probably trade after careful consideration, but 6MT and AWD enough would sell me on a 4G. With winter tires and real wintery conditions, my FWD 3G sometimes gets a serenade of vocabulary from me.

EDIT: I decided to stay on original topic avoiding the HID debate.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I still want one but my next car might be a Lexus GS

Quick Reply: Test drove a 2012 TL