TERRIBLE experience with South Bay Acura, please read.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009 | 02:34 AM
Instructor

In the long run, Acura should have just repaired the car instead of starting more shit. If you are going be a "luxury" dealership you are not going to call your customer 15 times and not repair their car.
You just let the customer know why it was urgent that they needed the vehicle back when they return and everyone learns from their own mistakes.

I hate to throw this out there but you would not see this kind of treatment with other luxury companies (mercedes, bmw). The brand of your car is not Dodge or Suzuki.

Some dealerships will gladly take your monthly payments but will still treat you like crap in the end.

Last edited by Islandsnowz; 05-28-2009 at 02:38 AM.
Old 05-28-2009 | 03:09 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by yiujai86
I don't think there can be a better solution than to have them drive your vehicle to you and have them pick up the loaner when they find you. Seems fair enough.
Bingo...Agree with them they uffed up and let them drive your car to where your at for free parts, services and extra's. You could have let them kiss your a$$ but then any acknowledgement on your part to the situation puts more liability on you.

What if a gun shop sold a weapon to person under the legal age, whose fault is it?

Fact: most consumers don't know anything about the law. Hell, we can't even agree on the law after several days of research on a single matter.
Old 05-28-2009 | 04:08 AM
Unregistered User

They messed up in this situation and it's their responsibility to make things right with you (the customer). That's what good customer service is. They handled the situation poorly from the start and only made matters worse. I wouldn't let them get away with anything. Too many times dealers (or any other company) can take advantage of a customer and get away with less than a slap on the wrist. They obviously don't want your business and you should not give it to them.
Old 05-28-2009 | 10:55 AM
Team Owner

the dealer doesnt have an extra person to go find you somewhere and retrieve their STOLEN car
The OP got a call 30 minutes after leaving-no way was he 50 miles away and committed to a trip
Its up to the OP to bring the car back as directed
Thats called being an adult
I dont care who made the mistake- once discovered you have an obligation to comply with their statement to return the car
OP was not exact on what words were used but it seems to have been made clear at the time about age, and OP chose to ignore the dealer.
Dealer makes repeated calls to bring it back--thats good faith effort
Then it becomes theft

Those who say a luxury car (who said acura was luxury anyway) dealer would treat it different??
Go ask them and see!--tell them hey I am 22 and wont say anything when I get a loaner- then blow you off when you call about its IMMEDIATE return
How long before MBZ calls the cops? 6:01 pm,,maybe after the 2nd call
You STOLE their car man!!! what part of this dont you get???
Knowing before doesnt matter- ONCE you were told- its game over, return loaner, take own car on trip
OP intended to leave his car for a long weekend on minor warranty work- and take a good car on a trip--so he did

Like I said before- lucky not to have spent the weekend in the pokie after that face down gun in the neck freeway stop
Old 05-28-2009 | 10:58 AM
Team Owner

1-800-382-2238 x5 thats acura care
OP please call them and detail your complaint
A real acura manager will call you back after they get the dealer version of the story

Tell us how they react after the laughter subsides
Old 05-28-2009 | 11:22 AM
Suzuka Master

i really think it's the dealers fault in this case, if the CA law doesn't say 25 how was the OP suppose to know. if he was alreayd 50 miles out its a serious inconvenience for him to return the loaner, and for customer service reasons i would think the dealer would let it go. rather they called him multiple times and didn't work on his car, seems kind of harsh to me ... the dealer screwed up, they should have handled the situation better
Old 05-28-2009 | 11:24 AM
Suzuka Master

btw OP has a 3g type S ... i doubt he dropped off his car purposely to get a nicer car, cuz his car is pretty damn nice
Old 05-28-2009 | 11:27 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
You STOLE their car man!!! what part of this dont you get??

, I think we all acknowledged that the first time you said it.

Technically it can be called stealing but he was not told this bluntly. If you want to keep it "technical", then the OP has nothing to do with this situation, just the original owners (parents), they let him drive the loaner out of town.

Hopefully acura care will help you guys out man.
Old 05-28-2009 | 11:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
the dealer doesnt have an extra person to go find you somewhere and retrieve their STOLEN car
The OP got a call 30 minutes after leaving-no way was he 50 miles away and committed to a trip
Its up to the OP to bring the car back as directed
Thats called being an adult

I dont care who made the mistake- once discovered you have an obligation to comply with their statement to return the car
OP was not exact on what words were used but it seems to have been made clear at the time about age, and OP chose to ignore the dealer.
Dealer makes repeated calls to bring it back--thats good faith effort
Then it becomes theft

Those who say a luxury car (who said acura was luxury anyway) dealer would treat it different??
Go ask them and see!--tell them hey I am 22 and wont say anything when I get a loaner- then blow you off when you call about its IMMEDIATE return
How long before MBZ calls the cops? 6:01 pm,,maybe after the 2nd call
You STOLE their car man!!! what part of this dont you get???
Knowing before doesnt matter- ONCE you were told- its game over, return loaner, take own car on trip
OP intended to leave his car for a long weekend on minor warranty work- and take a good car on a trip--so he did

Like I said before- lucky not to have spent the weekend in the pokie after that face down gun in the neck freeway stop
While i feel this situation could have and should have been handled differently, The OP SHOULD have gone back.
Old 05-28-2009 | 12:19 PM
Senior Moderator

^ werd.
Old 05-30-2009 | 01:54 PM
KICKED IN THE BALLS

OP hasn't even responded since his first original post.
Old 05-30-2009 | 02:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Your first mistake was bringing in your car for them to fix rattles. Chances are they would've fixed one rattle and caused 2 more.
Old 05-31-2009 | 12:52 PM
2011 BMW 335i

All I can say is that at least you got to keep the loaner for the weekend! And you pretty much told them to fu*k off when you didn't return it upon their request! haha! I don't really think you'd want them working on your car after this anyway so just take your car to a different dealership and NEVER go back to South Bay Acura again.

All I can say about the 25 minimum age to rent a vehicle law is:

1) Whoever said this either doesn't know what they're talking about or something because I have been getting loaners since I was 18 years AND I have even rented vehicles on a couple occasions from Enterprise and I was 21 years at the time -or-

2) This may be a law but the 5 Acura dealerships in my county and car rental agencies in my town are definately not enforcing it, since I could right now go and get a loaner from anyone of them and I'm still not 25 y/o.
Old 05-31-2009 | 02:03 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Acura Corporate is already involved.

Once the situation is resolved I will update you guys with the final outcome.

Just to clarify a few things:

-They had copies of my insurance and drivers license. I did not deceive them in any way and have received a loaner from them in the past.

-I had a SIGNED CONTRACT stating that I was in possession of the loaner. They made a mistake and wanted me to return the car, but they had no legal leg to stand on and reporting the car as stolen, while it probably would've gotten the car back and me in trouble in the short-term, would've been a PR disaster for them as well as grounds for a lawsuit. The moment they threatened to report the car as stolen I called my aunt who is an attorney and she gave me all the advice I needed.

-The whole loaner car fiasco doesn't bother me as much as the fact that they just blatantly refused to work on my car without any real explanation. That's the point I've stressed on corporate and they seem to agree with me on that.
Old 05-31-2009 | 02:11 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by ifirahse
Acura Corporate is already involved.
and probably laughing their asses off!

-I had a SIGNED CONTRACT stating that I was in possession of the loaner...
But what you don't say is whether or not the contract you signed said anything about an age limit. Tell us yes or no, did the contract have an age limit clause?

Better yet, why not just post a scanned copy of the contract?(obviously, obscure the personal data)
Old 05-31-2009 | 02:47 PM
These colors don't run

I doubt they did, but make sure they didn't do anything bad to your car while it was there.
Old 05-31-2009 | 02:54 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Originally Posted by Bender
Im not surprised. Not one bit.
Me neither. ACS IS A JOKE!

Originally Posted by yiujai86
I don't think there can be a better solution than to have them drive your vehicle to you and have them pick up the loaner when they find you. Seems fair enough.
+1.
Old 05-31-2009 | 03:29 PM
Intermediate

I have used a loaner car a couple of times while i was 22, never any issues. Sorry about your luck
Old 05-31-2009 | 04:41 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

This stinks. The dealer should not have given the loaner if they have a policy against under 25 years old getting loaners.

Regardless the car was there for service, service should have been rendered.

Did they call, say I am very sorry for the inconvenience we made a mistake please return the car or was it You have to bring the car back?

I rented cars in L.A. in the 80s when I was 18. I doubt there is a law regulating rental age, I concur with whoever said it was a rental insurance issue.

My Insurance covers me in any car I drive, I fail to see what the issue with insurance is assuming the OP has full coverage.

Bottom line Acura handled this poorly, there is no way in he*l the OP stole the car, he was handed the keys and given a contract, that contract was improperly administrated by the person from Acura that gave it to him.

Who among us reads the 5-10k words that are on the average service, rental, hotel agreement we sign regularly?

For me I would have returned the car and recovered mine as I would not have been able to enjoy my weekend & I would not want that dealer to get a cent from my work, even if Acura was paying for it.
Old 05-31-2009 | 04:58 PM
SlammedOnKonis

Let me clarify some more.

South Bay Acura's policy regarding loaner cars to people under 25 is like this:

Anybody 25 and above can get a loaner, but if someone is younger than that, all they need to get a loaner is for the registration of the car to be in THEIR NAME. The registration of my car is NOT in my name, it's in my mom's (the address is the same as my DL though). My insurance card also has my mom's name on it, not mine.

The service adviser saw that all the info on the registration matched my DL except for the actual name, so he thought it would be OK.

I'm not posting the contract up, that would be retarded on my part.

Last edited by ifirahse; 05-31-2009 at 05:01 PM.
Old 05-31-2009 | 05:17 PM
Burning Brakes

The registration of my car is NOT in my name, it's in my mom's
Bwahahaha your mom owns your car. lol...
Old 05-31-2009 | 05:36 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Let me clarify some more.

South Bay Acura's policy regarding loaner cars to people under 25 is like this:

Anybody 25 and above can get a loaner, but if someone is younger than that, all they need to get a loaner is for the registration of the car to be in THEIR NAME. The registration of my car is NOT in my name, it's in my mom's (the address is the same as my DL though). My insurance card also has my mom's name on it, not mine.

The service adviser saw that all the info on the registration matched my DL except for the actual name, so he thought it would be OK.

I'm not posting the contract up, that would be retarded on my part.
So you agree that you should not have been able to obtain a loaner? Just because the dealer made a mistake in the past and almost made it again does not change the facts. Your privilages were outlined and a loaner is not on the list. The dealer should have caught the fail and so should you. It could have been handled better on both sides.

Regarding not working on your car, I think they have a right to refuse to do business with you and anyone else with cause. Why would you want them touching your stuff after all this?
Old 05-31-2009 | 06:53 PM
Acuras Only in

I wouldn't let them go near my car if I were you ... who knows what they would do to your car if they wanted to get back at you for not listening to their calls ?

Just move on & get it fixed at another dealer ...
Old 05-31-2009 | 07:01 PM
SlammedOnKonis

MR1, don't assume anything without asking first.

I'm not going to post anymore in this thread until I get a resolution from ACS.
Old 05-31-2009 | 07:13 PM
LFG RANGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

Are the people that are outraged at the OP employees of Acura? Seems there is quite a bit of anger going on.
Old 05-31-2009 | 08:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Really the dealer needs to stay on top of its policies, and or have competent people handling its business. The fact that he even got to leave the dealer with a loaner Not just once but had done it before just goes to show you that someone is not doing the job they are paid to do!

Bit(h and cry all you want, but it was the dealers negligence that led to the situation at hand.

Ha "read the contract" ? $H1T id be willing to bet their isn't a single person in this thread that reads EVERYTHING they sign WHY because it takes too f-ing long. It took 3 1/2 hours to fill out paperwork for me to buy a house and I have to admit I didn't really read every single paper every paragraph. Have any of you sat and read in full the paperwork you have to sing before you get your car serviced at Acura, NO because it would add 30mins every time you went to get an oil change.
Old 05-31-2009 | 08:29 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Originally Posted by HI OFECR
Really the dealer needs to stay on top of its policies, and or have competent people handling its business. The fact that he even got to leave the dealer with a loaner Not just once but had done it before just goes to show you that someone is not doing the job they are paid to do!

Bit(h and cry all you want, but it was the dealers negligence that led to the situation at hand.

Ha "read the contract" ? $H1T id be willing to bet their isn't a single person in this thread that reads EVERYTHING they sign WHY because it takes too f-ing long. It took 3 1/2 hours to fill out paperwork for me to buy a house and I have to admit I didn't really read every single paper every paragraph. Have any of you sat and read in full the paperwork you have to sing before you get your car serviced at Acura, NO because it would add 30mins every time you went to get an oil change.
You don't have to read the stuff that you sign, your choice. The thing is that you are agreeing to it if you sign it. So you are stuck with what it says. For the record, yes I have read most of the stuff that I have signed and take responsibility for 100% of it. This includes various home purchases and refinances with the related 1-2 hours of document review.

OP, what do you think that I'm assuming?
Old 05-31-2009 | 09:39 PM
Suzuka Master

wow a lot of e-penis in this thread.

dealer screwed up and dealer has no right to ask OP to come back from his trip after they gave him permission to go. Verbal agreements do stand up in court.

dealer choose to handle the situation poorly.

If it had been me, I would have turned around taken the car back, got my car and left never to return.

His mom may be owner for legal reasons but he HAS to be listed as driver on policy (aka name insured) and that fact alone would have covered him if an accident would have happened. your auto insurace will cover a rental in this case as it was provided as a replacement for your car that was in for service.
Old 05-31-2009 | 11:04 PM
Instructor

I'm under twenty five. Two years and nine loaners later, no problems at all.

Maybe they gave someones car out as a loner? lol that would suck.