Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

temp gauge sensitivity,,,,,,,,,

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 08:02 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
temp gauge sensitivity,,,,,,,,,

My TL is only a few days old but I've noticed one anomally: the temp gauge reacts normally at start up - rising to about 1/3 scale but from then on stays dead steady regardless of traffic, climbing hills, etc. Also have not heard radiator fans come on; although its apparently not overheating. Instead of a dedicated gauge sensor (as with Accord) TL uses the main engine temp sensor for both fan and fuel/emissions control so its possiible that the sensor is not reacting above a median temperature - though its ard to imagine any main sensor problem not setting a check engine code.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:10 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Arrow By RavenHwk...

I'm not sure what you meant...

But, there was a very good post you should read prior to talking more about this topic...

http://www.acura-tl.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67481
Old 05-05-2004, 12:15 AM
Cesspool of Knowledge

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey, rets - I think that cdmontgomery's talking about the engine coolant temperature, not the outside temperature on the MID.
Old 05-05-2004, 12:25 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Unhappy

Sorry... my fault... it's time to sleep... too much works and Internet today...

What I'm doing here??? :smackhead This is why BOSS blocks everyone to modify their post after 5 mins... make myself idiot... :o overdosing... got back to read my papers now...
Old 05-05-2004, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
On many cars, including ours I would think, the temperature gage is now no more than a glorified warning light. It goes to a preset position and stays there unless something happens to cause it to go into the danger zone, and then it hits the top, just as a warning light would come on only when the water temperature exceeded a maximum limit.

This came about because one owner would look at his, and the needle would point to a certain place, and then his neighbor, with the exact same car, would say his pointed to another place, so they would both get worried. Now, they all point to the same place and no one gets worried, but the needle never moves off that certain place unless there is something really wrong, like loss of coolant or even low oil levels.

I prefer the old style gage, like on my Olds 98, which constantly moves as the thermostat opens and closes and gives you an accurate reading, but I think those days are gone forever.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:34 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I can say many years ago I had the same fear, never saw the needle move, until one day it did, went right up, turns out my radiator popped a leak and drained while I was on the road.

So, yes, the needle will move. No it doesn't move from it's preset spot ordinarily as these cars are PHENOMENAL at holding their operating temp. They have efficient radiators, small aluminum blocks (good for heat transfer, not holding) and well designed cooling ducts to get the heat out of it.

The computer will warm the cats and the block up as fast as possible for emissions reasons, so you see the needle go up quickly, then it maintains it there perfectly.

Put on a 1,000 lb trailer and go uphill on a hot day, you'll see it move.

The car is just very capable cooling wise.

Ron: what year olds 98, we have a 1966 triple white ragtop at home. I swear the gas guage and speedometer needle are on the same string, one goes one way, the other goes the other but it's fast, 427 with Tri-Power, about 410hp last I heard. and yeah.. the temp guage wobbles around with usage.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:00 AM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
sherlock-87 Olds 98 Regency, bought new Sept 86, still runs perfect. White, like my TL, but with red cloth upholstery.