3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Teach me how to DRIVE a 6MT TL!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 10:45 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 510 Likes on 367 Posts
6th gear is not really useful below 45mph, so try to stay out of it until then.

6th gear is not really for accelerating, unless your already on the freeway and you want to do so gradually. Try to spread out the other 5 gears to get yourself to the desired speed, then shift to 6th.

6th gear is not really meant for steep hills. If the car won't accelerate when adding more throttle, it's time to downshift.

Remember, cruise control cannot shift for you. When using it, be aware of steep hills that may require a down shift for greater efficiency. As soon as you put the clutch in, cruise will switch off.

If your going to leave the car in gear when parking, be sure to put it in the gear that will force the motor to roll forward should the car move. That means if the car is likely to roll backwards, leave the transmission in reverse. If the car would roll forwards, leave it in 1st. If you don't, and the motor is forced to spin backwards, the timing belt can skip a tooth and the engine will require some expensive work.

When slowing down for a stoplight, or coasting down a hill, leave the car in gear (don't push the clutch in right away). At least until the revs get as low as ~1500rpm. This will save you gas because the ECU shuts off the fuel injectors when coasting.

When sitting at a stoplight, leave the car in neutral with your foot off the clutch pedal. This will save your thrust bearing, keeping the crankshaft better centered in the block.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:12 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by erick3
thread revival. can anyone tell me if it's necessary to blip the throttle going from a taller gear to shorter gear? say you go from 4 to 3 at low speeds. i've noticed that there isnt much of a difference in rpms. blipping the throttles tend to cause a jolt.

thanks!
This is due to raising engine speed too high for the target 3rd gear shift. When your clutch comes out, the engine and drive wheel speeds have not matched and that causes the jerk. Just be careful you don't raise engine speed higher than necessary for the lower gear.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:13 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 94eg!

6th gear is not really for accelerating, unless your already on the freeway and you want to do so gradually. Try to spread out the other 5 gears to get yourself to the desired speed, then shift to 6th.

6th gear is not really meant for steep hills. If the car won't accelerate when adding more throttle, it's time to downshift.

Remember, cruise control cannot shift for you. When using it, be aware of steep hills that may require a down shift for greater efficiency. As soon as you put the clutch in, cruise will switch off.

If your going to leave the car in gear when parking, be sure to put it in the gear that will force the motor to roll forward should the car move. That means if the car is likely to roll backwards, leave the transmission in reverse. If the car would roll forwards, leave it in 1st. If you don't, and the motor is forced to spin backwards, the timing belt can skip a tooth and the engine will require some expensive work.

When slowing down for a stoplight, or coasting down a hill, leave the car in gear (don't push the clutch in right away). At least until the revs get as low as ~1500rpm. This will save you gas because the ECU shuts off the fuel injectors when coasting.

When sitting at a stoplight, leave the car in neutral with your foot off the clutch pedal. This will save your thrust bearing, keeping the crankshaft better centered in the block.

Yep, yep, yep. All good advice.
Old 08-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Former Whiner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by arrogantbastard

I should give myself a 3-beer limit for posting...
Then there wouldn't be a point to sign on Azine.
Old 08-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts
Originally Posted by erick3
What's crackin?!
Some of you know that I finally pulled the trigger on a used 06 TL 6MT. I went back and forth between possible cars, including that EMBARRASSING TL-S , almost pulling the trigger on several of them. However, I finally found this ASM 06 TL with 14,600 on the tach, local. I've never purchased used before (could use some advise on this one too - not sure where to begin with a 6MT used car; the car's being inspected via the dealer tomorrow though). Anyways, I thought the car was reasonably priced, and being 21 (please don't flame ), I thought it was age appropriate; albeit I was offered a 2010 IS 350 (damn, too bad...lol). NOW, comes the issue of driving the car - I've NEVER OWNED A MANUAL CAR IN MY LIFE .

Many questions, but some background - I learned to drive on a civic back in high school, and I can drive relatively well; I don't stall, and I've driven several manual TL's, including the 2010 6MT. Here's my problem - I can't shift smoothly, UNLESS I feather the clutch (my definition of "feather" may be skewed - I don't immediately let the clutch out after I shift, but I slowly let it out...at times, the car revs freely being the clutch isn't engaged completely). I don't know how else to drive it . I've tried shifting and then JUST letting the clutch out, but that didn't turn out very well...! I'm afraid I'm going to burn the clutch (<-- I DON'T EVEN KNOW WHAT THAT MEAN LOL)! ALSO, I can't seem to shift well at high rpms - do you just...shift fast and let the clutch out?

Help and MANY thanks,
Eric
Learn on another car like a rental for a day or two. the clutch in the TL is very sensative and no way I would want to have to replace that......
Old 08-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
The first thing I do when driving a new manual transmission is let the clutch up slowly to learn the engagement point before I'm ready to take off for the first time. I think this is very important for taking off from a standstill to shifting gears. Each car is different especially with the DBW programming and how it hangs between gears. The only way to really learn is to practice. I can drive smoother when I shift quick so that's what I do.
Old 08-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Team Owner

Great advice except for the timing belt skipping. What's your reasoning behind this?
Old 08-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Great advice except for the timing belt skipping. What's your reasoning behind this?
I've also heard this but I don't recall hearing the "why" of it. Hope you get a solid answer for this one.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:22 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 510 Likes on 367 Posts
The timing belt skipping is just hear-say for me as well. The reason for it, or so I was told, is that the belt tensioner is designed so that it only works with the motor spinning in one direction. This is especially true on our later model Hondas that have a hydraulic timing belt tensioners that are constantly applying pressure to a free floating pulley.

If the motor spins backwards, the cam shafts will pull the belt tight on the side that already has the tensioner. This means the slack side of the belt has now switched to the opposite side of the motor. Without a tensioner on the slack side of the belt, it could be possible for the belt to skip a tooth on the cam gear.

I honestly don't know if this is a problem, but I can say I do follow this guideline when parking "in-gear"...
Old 08-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Team Owner

The timing belt skipping is just hear-say for me as well. The reason for it, or so I was told, is that the belt tensioner is designed so that it only works with the motor spinning in one direction. This is especially true on our later model Hondas that have a hydraulic timing belt tensioners that are constantly applying pressure to a free floating pulley.

If the motor spins backwards, the cam shafts will pull the belt tight on the side that already has the tensioner. This means the slack side of the belt has now switched to the opposite side of the motor. Without a tensioner on the slack side of the belt, it could be possible for the belt to skip a tooth on the cam gear.

I honestly don't know if this is a problem, but I can say I do follow this guideline when parking "in-gear"...

I was wondering about that. It would seem that you would shift the cam timing for sure. I've seen some pretty worn out tensioners that never caused a belt to skip but I suppose it's possible.