Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 09:23 AM
4th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Suspension Maintenance

Hi this is my first post so sorry if I have made any mistakes in posting this! But anyways I am the owner of a 2004 Acura TL (258600 miles roughly) and I am inquiring about what kind of problems and signs of wear I should be looking for in my suspension. I am the third owner and haven´t touched the suspension yet outside of the ball joints because they broke on me and the suspension equipment that broke with it when the wheel turned inwards. The reason I am more concerned about this now is I have a set of H&R lowering springs that I am waiting to put on my car and I know that going lower puts more strain on the suspension and I want to make sure I am not going to damage my car going lower when it can be prevented. If anyone has tips that would be appreciated! Thank you!
Old 01-31-2024, 07:07 PM
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
If it's never been done before, Definitely inspect/replace lower compliance arm bushing. They're known to tear at like half your mileage. Once they pop out they start to screw with the alignment of the other bushings.
Old 01-31-2024, 07:27 PM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by joe.abp
If it's never been done before, Definitely inspect/replace lower compliance arm bushing. They're known to tear at like half your mileage. Once they pop out they start to screw with the alignment of the other bushings.
Will definitely do as soon as I free some garage space up. Thank you!
Old 01-31-2024, 07:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 764 Likes on 466 Posts
Originally Posted by joe.abp
Yes, this!
Also, tie rod ends are cheap and easy.
Old 02-01-2024, 07:50 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Pair of TLs
Yes, this!
Also, tie rod ends are cheap and easy.
Ok I will definitely do this as well! Do you think I would need a re-alignment after this? I was told from multiple sources that any sort of suspension work would require an alignment or else the car would fall out of alignment. Outside of the balljoints I have yet to do any suspension work on my TL.
Old 02-01-2024, 12:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 764 Likes on 466 Posts
Since you'll have your car up in the air to pull the struts for your coilovers, you may as well go over everything in the front suspension.
Check all your bushings and boots. They're cheap. The sway bar end links are also cheap to replace. Check your brake lines. Then you won't have any doubts.
When you are ALL done, then yes, take it in for a "lifetime" alignment.
If you replace everything, then the alignment shop won't be upselling you parts and labor.

This is what I did on my 6MT last year even though it's stock height.
I ordered everything from RockAuto.
I did full UCAs and LCAs but if you just do the bushings it will save you a few hundred over what I spent.
The axles/bearings all seemed good, so I didn't do them.
It took me several days (I'm getting old...) but the car is tight now.
Old 02-02-2024, 10:18 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Pair of TLs
Since you'll have your car up in the air to pull the struts for your coilovers, you may as well go over everything in the front suspension.
Check all your bushings and boots. They're cheap. The sway bar end links are also cheap to replace. Check your brake lines. Then you won't have any doubts.
When you are ALL done, then yes, take it in for a "lifetime" alignment.
If you replace everything, then the alignment shop won't be upselling you parts and labor.

This is what I did on my 6MT last year even though it's stock height.
I ordered everything from RockAuto.
I did full UCAs and LCAs but if you just do the bushings it will save you a few hundred over what I spent.
The axles/bearings all seemed good, so I didn't do them.
It took me several days (I'm getting old...) but the car is tight now.
Alright I’ll probably put it on jacks and inspect it this weekend and I will order parts as needed. Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Pair of TLs (02-02-2024)