Super low mile TL-S for sale

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 08:36 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
^good luck with that
Old 03-15-2014, 08:51 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Hey the man has a point. No guarantees tho ;-)
Old 03-15-2014, 10:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by OsK
idk man, i would stay away from that.

unless the owner had the car running every so often instead of letting it sit there with the battery not connected.

1000 miles a year? how is that even possible? you'd have to drive 1-3 miles a day give and take. it was probably an old lady who couldn't walk or something.
Right, because most Type-S TLs were bought by quadriplegic old ladies. They love zipping around the bingo hall on their Rascal Power Scooters bragging about the fancy two-tone leather and absurdly low mileage.

FYI, it's actually better for an internal combustion engine to remain dormant, rather than being started and idled for short periods. All that does is cause condensation to build up internally, and it can't burn off quickly enough.
The following 2 users liked this post by anx1300c:
Healingduck (03-19-2014), JTS97Z28 (03-16-2014)
Old 03-16-2014, 04:47 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wonder if i traded in my 07 tl type s cbp at 46k miles and bought this one? lol nahh but im sure someones thought of this already....
Old 03-16-2014, 05:51 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by cruz3468
I wonder if i traded in my 07 tl type s cbp at 46k miles and bought this one? lol nahh but im sure someones thought of this already....
Sure it would be cool to have a car with 40,000 less miles, but you would get royally screwed in the deal doing it. You would be very sad when they told you what they will give you for yours. Trust me, that's pretty much how all trade ins go.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:07 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Its an auto
Old 03-16-2014, 10:33 PM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Very very nice find. I wouldn't have a problem buying that car site unseen. However, I already found my "dream" Type S so I'm good to go, but would be nice to see that extremely low mileage example go to a good home.
Does this thread mean we will see the end of you posting about your lowest mileage TL in the US?
Old 03-17-2014, 06:57 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JohnnyWayne
Does this thread mean we will see the end of you posting about your lowest mileage TL in the US?
Yeah I'll give it a rest sorry. I thought I was being better about not talking about my Acura TL on an Acura TL forum, but maybe I wasn't. Sorry I can see how that shit gets annoying.

Any updates from IHC? I know you were tossin around the idea of looking further into this vehicle.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 182 Likes on 140 Posts
Sorry guys, I just bought it.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:04 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by bouncer07
Seriously?
Old 03-17-2014, 09:13 AM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by bouncer07
You're not a credible liar
Old 03-17-2014, 09:15 AM
[x] FWCC [x]

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
At this time i wouldn't pay more than $23k on an 07-08 TL-S if it's over the 50k miles.

Originally Posted by dj5
I've been looking a good car for my son who just turned 16. My TLS has been a good car so I wouldn't mind another one in the garage. I talked to the dealer on this one and it sounds like there is a lot of interest. I offered a $500 deposit with a price of $23k and they turned it down. I can't see paying any more than that especially since I would have to fly to pick it up and drive back for several hours. I like the NBP but I prefer the black and grey interior.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:18 AM
[x] FWCC [x]

Originally Posted by cruz3468
dude, Acura of Westchester is offering current selling value for any Acura you trade in . I know they offered about $17k for mine in which it beats a lot of the other dealers for an 08 base TL with a few dents under 53k miles.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by paperboy42190
What rubber parts? I assume you mean engine mounts and suspension control arm bushings right? Now tell me, how is a piece of rubber that was sitting for 7 years worn out MORE than rubber on a car that was driven for 7 years? Please have a scientific answer for this.
Also, same with the shocks.

I'm not going to argue about the engine block etching though as I cannot scientifically argue that one.
http://www.bouncing-balls.com/chemis...ion/ageing.htm

That URL should cover everything related to rubber aging on a chemical level. Now take into consideration a rubber tire that is standing in your garage not being used. Without being driven on with no pressure being exerted the material no longer flexes and moves as it would if it were being used. That is when the aging process begins.

Without being subjected to some motion and stress the oxidation begins with the rubber becoming brittle and hard. The owner then puts use on the product causing the now brittle and hardened rubber component to flex and cause more degradation. Its the same concept of having old tires on a car that has been sitting for a while and gets driven sparingly. The rubber oxidizes and looses its malleability. It also looses it traction capability since you're now driving on oxidized rubber.

Similar to having really dry skin and having someone pinch it for you. It causes the skin in certain areas to crack because of the excessive movement and now leaves more fresh skin exposed or in case of a rubber component more rubber to oxidize.

Under constant use the components are less likely to see oxidation and premature failure.

The same concept applies for the seals in shock absorbers or suspension components.

Now by my rough estimates if the prior owner was putting the average of 2 miles a day on the car or 14 miles a week it should be in exceptional shape. But if the car was maybe seeing use every couple months or weeks there may be more cause for concern and they'd have to look into it.

Oil degradation:
"Oil is nothing but a polymer of fatty acids . Fatty acids are high molecular organic acids . Fresh lubricating oil contains long chain of fatty acids , which is less acidic . During operation lubricating oil starts degrading into smaller chain fatty acids . Which gives more acidic nature into oil .We know that due to + I effect , long chain acids are less acidic than short chain." Simple explanation I didn't want to type up copied from Sowmya S.

Fuel Degradation:
http://theepicenter.com/tow021799.html

Now, having taken all that into consideration you can properly store a car for lets say the winter months or even for a couple years but expect rubber parts to have degraded slightly by then and expect that you'll have to replace those soon.

I'm not saying that a car being used can't have more wear but, if a car that has been used by someone has received proper maintenance over time I'd rather pick that, than a car that has been sitting for years since human psychology will lead the user to believe the less he uses it, the better maintained it is, so maintenance is not going to be a priority for this individual.

The probability is the car got used and the oil degraded but, since it wasn't time for a service he let it sit without an oil change or transmission fluid change for a while. During which time the oil get a chance to degenerate and form a layer of acid therefor etching the engine transmission and any other components that is lubricated by engine oil. The owner see's he has another 30% oil life left and doesn't do anything about it. Bad for those components overall.
The following users liked this post:
paperboy42190 (03-20-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 11:45 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by d1sturb3d119

That URL should cover everything related to rubber aging on a chemical level. Now take into consideration a rubber tire that is standing in your garage not being used. Without being driven on with no pressure being exerted the material no longer flexes and moves as it would if it were being used. That is when the aging process begins.

Without being subjected to some motion and stress the oxidation begins with the rubber becoming brittle and hard. The owner then puts use on the product causing the now brittle and hardened rubber component to flex and cause more degradation. Its the same concept of having old tires on a car that has been sitting for a while and gets driven sparingly. The rubber oxidizes and looses its malleability. It also looses it traction capability since you're now driving on oxidized rubber.

Similar to having really dry skin and having someone pinch it for you. It causes the skin in certain areas to crack because of the excessive movement and now leaves more fresh skin exposed or in case of a rubber component more rubber to oxidize.

Under constant use the components are less likely to see oxidation and premature failure.

The same concept applies for the seals in shock absorbers or suspension components.

Now by my rough estimates if the prior owner was putting the average of 2 miles a day on the car or 14 miles a week it should be in exceptional shape. But if the car was maybe seeing use every couple months or weeks there may be more cause for concern and they'd have to look into it.

Oil degradation:
"Oil is nothing but a polymer of fatty acids . Fatty acids are high molecular organic acids . Fresh lubricating oil contains long chain of fatty acids , which is less acidic . During operation lubricating oil starts degrading into smaller chain fatty acids . Which gives more acidic nature into oil .We know that due to + I effect , long chain acids are less acidic than short chain." Simple explanation I didn't want to type up copied from Sowmya S.

Fuel Degradation:

Now, having taken all that into consideration you can properly store a car for lets say the winter months or even for a couple years but expect rubber parts to have degraded slightly by then and expect that you'll have to replace those soon.

I'm not saying that a car being used can't have more wear but, if a car that has been used by someone has received proper maintenance over time I'd rather pick that, than a car that has been sitting for years since human psychology will lead the user to believe the less he uses it, the better maintained it is, so maintenance is not going to be a priority for this individual.

The probability is the car got used and the oil degraded but, since it wasn't time for a service he let it sit without an oil change or transmission fluid change for a while. During which time the oil get a chance to degenerate and form a layer of acid therefor etching the engine transmission and any other components that is lubricated by engine oil. The owner see's he has another 30% oil life left and doesn't do anything about it. Bad for those components overall.
You explanation sounds fine in theory but it doesn't work that way most of the time. I'll be back in a while, I'm actually busy at work for once lol. I deal with cars that are much older with fewer miles than this TL, some of which are not started for 10 years at a time and I've had one apart before because the owner was paranoid and let's just say we tore it down against my will and I got to say I told you so after we tore it down.

I'm not trying to argue, just posting my experiences with this stuff.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:30 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
You explanation sounds fine in theory but it doesn't work that way most of the time. I'll be back in a while, I'm actually busy at work for once lol. I deal with cars that are much older with fewer miles than this TL, some of which are not started for 10 years at a time and I've had one apart before because the owner was paranoid and let's just say we tore it down against my will and I got to say I told you so after we tore it down.

I'm not trying to argue, just posting my experiences with this stuff.
It's all good. I'd want to learn more.

Granted any car, low mileage or not, I approach it with caution since use changes from person to person. I've realized that no check in particular is going to absolve me of risk but understanding the fact that low mileage isn't necessarily going to be problem free is important. Thats all.

All I'm saying is we shouldn't be naive and just blindly buy without doing a proper check.

On the flip side while detailing people's cars its amazing to see how different brands react in different ways to sitting versus running. Sports cars that are weekend toys which ironically enough have degrading plastics to daily drivers that are 20 years old but are put together well.

30 year old supra detail the other day where the car's plastics were all original but pristine vs a 2003 bmw 3 series that had degrading plastic components all over the car despite UV protection from the tint he had on the car vs a 2001 Audi TT which had everything plastic falling apart in the interior.

Every example is different.

Same goes for the other components.

Last edited by d1sturb3d119; 03-17-2014 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 02:47 PM
Racer

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts
Not nearly as low of a mileage car, but a FSBO, 6MT NBP TL-S, 45k, ASPEC wheels and body kit isn't too shabby:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ngId=367640626
Old 03-17-2014, 05:27 PM
Cruisin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Anybody else spot that KBP 6 speed dark interior for sale on Autotrader??
I hate cars (03-19-2014)
Old 03-17-2014, 05:31 PM
Cruisin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
http://m.autotrader.com/cars-for-sal...rd=1&zip=85248
Old 03-18-2014, 10:53 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Their asking price is a bit high for this, no?
Old 03-19-2014, 08:17 AM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by WillTC
Well it's hard to say as a vehicle with that mileage is really a sellers market. You can find Type S's all day long with 50-60-70 thousand miles and the seller has no choice but to price it aggressively in-line with the others otherwise it will never sell. With one like this there is no others like it so they can technically get away with asking whatever they want and chances are someone will eventually come along and buy it. Also, the price IMO doesn't seem outrageous because you see Type S's listed in the low 20's very often from dealerships with average miles, so mid twenties for a extreme low mileage Type S sounds about right from a dealership.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
i guess i will stop by this weekend to check it out if it's still around.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:54 PM
2006 6spd

Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts
i think if a dealer is selling it; then they have no choice to give it to you in good running order...

also if its that expensive what makes anyone think the value is gonna drasticly drop with in a year or so?... 2015 TLX...i dought it

and the person whos son is 16 & is in need of a first car; I hope you plan to get this one for yourself &give him yours...
Old 03-19-2014, 10:49 PM
'07 TL Type-S

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by WillTC
For most people yeah. But as you can see by this topic, the dealer will be able to find someone to buy it close to, if not at asking price. They're just waiting for the right person. It's definitely an awesome find for the right person who loves this gen TL.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:13 PM
Pro

Received 102 Likes on 91 Posts
I would so buy this if I lived in the U.S. You rarely find low mileage gems like this in Canada.
Old 03-20-2014, 05:54 PM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Sounds weird, but I would never buy that car...Tan interior is awful...IMO
Old 03-21-2014, 09:49 AM
[x] FWCC [x]

Hey hey relax man lol i have light enterior too ...not that i regret getting it but it is a little more difficult to maintain

Originally Posted by Ruby
Sounds weird, but I would never buy that car...Tan interior is awful...IMO
Old 03-21-2014, 12:40 PM
Safety Car

And btw Ruby it's not tan. I don't know why people refer to that interior as tan when it's not even close to that. If anything it's light gray and black. Acura calls it Taupe.
Although do I agree I prefer the ebony/silver interior (especially the black headliner), but I certainly wouldn't say it looks awful. I think they both look great. Only down side to the Taupe interior as they age and get more miles the seats look horrendous if not maintained. I saw one for sale where the seats literally were brown. The people must have smoked and never cleaned the seats once. I would have puked.

Here is a old pic of my KBP/Taupe Type S (long since sold to another forum member). Definitely not awful...and definitely not tan :-)

Old 03-30-2014, 01:34 PM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Sorry guys, I knew it was more of a whitish I just used layman's terms. Anyways, it's just my opinion but even though there is super low miles, I could never own a light interior car. I don't know why, but especially on the Type S I feel it doesn't look right. Just my 2 cents.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:02 PM
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts
People worry too much. I have a vehicle that sat for several years on the driveway (because it couldn't pass the state emissions test back then but now they got rid of the program), and when I went to start it up, it fired up just fine (I obviously charged the battery first). The gas was fine (to my surprise after reading about how gas goes bad - that's a bunch of bologna). The tires on it are 13 years old and perfectly fine. In fact, just a few days ago, I still had the original spare tire with full tread (and it was stored outdoors most of its life - spare tire carrier on the back, and it was exposed to sunlight), and it was 29 years old. It probably could have still been used, but I didn't want to take the risk, so I got rid of the tire.

I have a couple riding lawn mowers that I stopped using for several years, and just the other day I started one of them up, and it fired up with no problems at all.

As for oil turning to acid. That I have no idea about. Maybe it's true, but I'll bet it's just as true as gas turning into gel. It'll probably take a LONG time, and it probably isn't as severe as they scare you to believe.

Having said that, I try to run it more often now, maybe once or twice a month. I have the oil changed about once a year even if I've only driven 100 or less miles. I buy premium gas because I believe they put more additives in it. But I certainly don't have time to remove the spark plugs every time I store an engine and put engine oil in the hole. I have too many small engines to bother with that. I'd have no time left for anything else. All my engines typically fire up with no issues. If I have any issues, All-U-Need usually fixes them.

Originally Posted by d1sturb3d119

Oil degradation:

Fuel Degradation:

Last edited by robocam; 04-02-2014 at 02:16 PM.
JTS97Z28 (04-02-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 08:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tomlinsonj
Not nearly as low of a mileage car, but a FSBO, 6MT NBP TL-S, 45k, ASPEC wheels and body kit isn't too shabby:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...ngId=367640626
I've been meaning to thank you for bringing this car to my attention. I drove down this weekend and purchased it. Replaced my 2006 WDP Aspec kit, 6sp. Been to busy to post a thread.