3G TL (2004-2008)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sunroof visor, does it reduce noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 01:53 PM
TLdriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sunroof visor, does it reduce noise?

I am considering getting a sunroof visor and have not seen many posts on this subject. Does anyone have a sunroof visor? If yes, did it reduce the noise level inside the car when the sunroof is open? Did you install it yourself?
Old 05-11-2004, 02:00 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have one on my TL, but I've had them before. I don't like them. Why?

I didn't find any noise reduction. In fact it makes a noise of its own.

They get filthy and are hard to keep clean.

They ruin the clean look of the roof line.

Personally I don't recommend them. I'm curious to hear a dissenting opinion, though.
Old 05-11-2004, 03:51 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't like them either, they take away form the lines of the car, and make no improvement in lowering sound level IMO
Old 05-11-2004, 04:09 PM
Advanced

I was considering getting one as well, but I then I too kept looking at the extent to which it seemed to ruin the lines of the car. It is substantially larger than the one from the 2nd generation TL. I also thought to myself "how frequently do I really ride around with the sunroof open" -- even if it is quite a bit, I will always be looking at the messed up lines, in order to have access to "quieter" riding the limited times I have the sunroof open. So I bagged it. After reading these posts, especially the point about keeping it clean, which never occurred to me, I am really glad I didn't. I DID get the lip spoiler, though -- looks sweet! -- adds a little something to the lines of the back end and serves as a very helpful landmark for the end of the car without having to have put in the drill holes for the back-up sensors.
Old 05-11-2004, 08:44 PM
Racer

These visors are no longer effective on today's streamlined cars. In fact, they surely interfere with the aerodynamics, and will probably increase noise and air turbulence. They're also ugly.

Skip it.
Old 05-11-2004, 09:42 PM
Overlord - Team Abyss

I think the car LOOKS BETTER with the visor. I have it and the moonroof is quiet with it installed. I had it installed before pickup so I don't actually know if the noise floor of the sunroof is raised, the same, or lowered. Also, I believe the design of the visor is not to quiet things down, but to rather reduce the amount of airflow through the moonroof into the cars cabin. To each thier own, but in my mind it well worthwhile.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:03 PM
Intermediate

I tormented over dropping $95 for the visor but the wind noise started naggin at me. So i bit the bullet, bought it installed it. Installs as easy as any visor. Scratches VERY easily. Bigger than expected. Definitely reduces the wind noise. (hooray!) Visually i do not care for it and initially considered removing it. My wife thinks it makes the car look better.
Take that for what it is worth.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:16 PM
Overlord - Team Abyss

Originally Posted by dunno465
I tormented over dropping $95 for the visor but the wind noise started naggin at me. So i bit the bullet, bought it installed it. Installs as easy as any visor. Scratches VERY easily. Bigger than expected. Definitely reduces the wind noise. (hooray!) Visually i do not care for it and initially considered removing it. My wife thinks it makes the car look better.
Take that for what it is worth.
I take it your wife has good taste :bowdown:
Old 05-12-2004, 05:51 AM
3rd Gear

Get this...One of the salesman at the dealership told me that "I should get the visor so that the headliner will not droop when I drive around with the sunroof open (because of the wind rushing in)." Believe that??
I was like WTF!!!
Old 05-12-2004, 06:33 AM
Racer

I don't have the visor, but have been considering it......the noise level with the roof open on highways is significant. I gotta believe it reduces the noise level, but I agree with others that it doesn't look good.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:47 AM
Intermediate

I got mine about 5 days after buying the car. It does reduce the noise to some degree. I can actually talk to someone on HFL with the roof open. As far as the looks go... I have a black TL so it kinda just blends in. It is a little harder to clean. It's very easy to remove so I think I'll take it off in the winther/summer months and put it back on in spring/fall when I use the sunroof the most.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:14 AM
8th Gear

I have one and like it .It is quieter,and I don't think it takes away
from the car.imo
Old 05-12-2004, 09:30 AM
Cruisin'

I bought one, laid in on the roof and didn't like the look. If anyone is interested in buying from me, pm me. Brand new in the box, never mounted. Price will be what I paid (no tax or shipping).
Old 05-12-2004, 06:31 PM
Overlord - Team Abyss

Originally Posted by 2XBling
I got mine about 5 days after buying the car. It does reduce the noise to some degree. I can actually talk to someone on HFL with the roof open. As far as the looks go... I have a black TL so it kinda just blends in. It is a little harder to clean. It's very easy to remove so I think I'll take it off in the winther/summer months and put it back on in spring/fall when I use the sunroof the most.
Good call. I think the visor really only looks on dark colors like the Green, Blue, and Black. Anthracite might be able to pull it off too, but the red, white, etc., it just wasn't meant to be.
Old 05-12-2004, 06:47 PM
Drifting

Received 536 Likes on 302 Posts
Originally Posted by TLTampa
Get this...One of the salesman at the dealership told me that "I should get the visor so that the headliner will not droop when I drive around with the sunroof open (because of the wind rushing in)." Believe that??
I was like WTF!!!

My headliner started drooping, so my service person fixed the sagging headliner and then installed the visor for free for me to help against it sagging again. I didn't think I'd like the visor, but in all honesty, I like the looks of it better with the visor than without. Oh, and the headliner isn't sagging.
Old 05-13-2004, 06:38 AM
TLdriver

Thanks to all for your input. I think that I am leaning more towards getting the visor to reduce the noise level. I have had several cars with sunroofs and they all created a little noise but not as loud as my new TL. I think that the aerodynamics of the roof line are such that the trailing edge is higher than the leading edge. By installing the visor, you in effect raise the leading edge to that of the trailing edge or maybe slightly higher. This will change the airflow over the opening, reducing the airflow into the cabin. IMO
Old 05-13-2004, 11:47 AM
Intermediate

It looks like you have made up your mind but incase you need another opinion, here is my .02 - I got one on my TL for free since the car came from another dealer and it was already installed. Before I ever saw the car I said that I did not want it and to take it off. They did not take it off so I was going to bring it back later to have it removed. Since So it turned out to be a free test and I decided to keep it because this is by far the most quiet moon roof I have ever had. It is a bit big and you do have to clean it from inside the car to get all of the water spots off when detailing the car. BTW, I have a Silver and I think it looks very nice, IMO.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:28 PM
Team WDP Surgeon General

I have one also on my WDP. I like the look of it. Plus it does reduce the airflow into the car at speed. I'm not sure how much it reduces the noise since I havn't driven without it. However, the car is fairly quite at speed with the moonroof open. Also it has a slight elevation in the middle of the front of it which is designed to inprove the airflow across it. I like the way it looks but this is subjective.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:16 PM
Return of the Ring

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by TheNip73
Good call. I think the visor really only looks on dark colors like the Green, Blue, and Black. Anthracite might be able to pull it off too, but the red, white, etc., it just wasn't meant to be.
Hadn't thought of that. I have one on my abyss blue TL, and I think it looks fine. Never drove the car without it, so I'm not sure exactly how much of a difference it makes... BUT, I have been driving it on the highway with the sunroof open, now that the weather's warming up, and it definitely seems quieter (and less windy in the cabin) than my old A4. I like it.
Old 05-13-2004, 02:39 PM
Advanced

To me it reduces the wind coming in... not so much the noise. Before I got my visor... I had a loaner car with the visor and was "blown away" :clown: by how there was no wind coming in, even going 80-90 mph. I purchased the visor shortly after because the wind was annoying on my forehead.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:44 PM
Instructor

I took mine off. The scratching of paint underneath was enough to bug me enough to remove it. I found that it did reduce airflow, but I didn't find it much quieter than without. Unless you're willing to clean underneath it or you don't care about the scuffs in the paint, I don't recommend it.
Old 05-13-2004, 08:08 PM
Instructor

adding to trapped dirt, a visor did put a slight impression in the paint on my 01 TL. Not worth it.
Old 05-13-2004, 09:54 PM
Instructor

The demo TL I took on a test drive had the deflector. It seems much too big for the opening in the sunroof. I seem to remember the visor covering 1/3rd to 1/2 of the opening. I hate the wind coming in too. Are there any aftermarket visors available that are smaller?
Old 05-13-2004, 10:20 PM
Advanced

I negotiated the visor into my purchase. I drove the car about 700 miles before the visor was installed.

You can still hear the sound of the wind "whooshing" by the opening...the difference is that now I don't have the wind buffeting against the inside of the rear window. It's hard to describe. It's really something you feel rather then hear (like really low bass).

I'm not an expert in fluid mechanics but, without the visor installed, it's almost as if there is a constant increase and decrease of cabin pressure as the outside air is pushed into the moving car.

I plan on using mine for three-season and removing it for the winter.

FYI - Plexus does a great job of cleaning and protecting the visor. Use 303 to protect the rubber seal. Make sure you have cleaned and waxed/sealed the area under the visor prior to installing.