Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions on preventing rust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Suggestions on preventing rust?

I bought my car in SoCal because I wanted to avoid as many salty winters as possible and keep my car looking new. What do you guys suggest to try and keep rust from forming on the car? I keep the car waxed and clean throughout the year but winters are more difficult. My garage is heated but they don't allow washing in there so I run it though the coin operated wash or a touchless wash every now and again.

Are there certain areas that develop rust faster than others on these cars? Where have other people found rust begin to form on their cars? Would spraying the underside help or not?

I've seen some 04's and 05's with rust starting to form on the hinges and bolts on the front doors. How can you prevent that or at least slow it down?
Old 01-11-2011, 03:40 PM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
For the unpainted fasteners (nuts and bolts) and for any unpainted metal areas (such as some areas of the suspension parts), I highly recommend Corrosion-X (click here).

I have used Corrosion-X for years. I conducted a "rusty nail" test of it compared to other rust prevention oils. The CX worked the best.

Corrosion-X got started in business as an airplane treatment to inhibit rust in aircraft structures and aircraft electrical components.

I use it for EVERYTHING but *not* lubrication of moving parts. It is too thin for lubrication of moving parts. The CX oil does stuff that regular oils can't, like prevent corrosion and penetrating abilities. I use it even on electrical contacts to prevent corrosion. This is CX's real purpose, to spray the interior walls of aircraft to prevent corrosion of the aluminum from condensation and to prevent corrosion of aircraft electrical contacts. I have used it for the past 10 years. It is always by my side.

This CX oil will PENETRATE unlike anything you have ever seen, or that you will ever likely see in the future. The oil will penetrate upward against gravity with no problems.

I tried the popular penetrating oils that a person buys at the auto parts store (including PB Blaster). They are crap. I even let them sit for 24-48 hours. They are crap. They do not really penetrate. How do I know... because I experimented. Let it sit 24 hours, then broke a nut loose. That bolt was bone dry within the treads once I unscrewed it to look. Whereas, the CX will really penetrate completely thru the threads, even against gravity uphill.

I prefer the NON-aerosol version.

Where can you buy it? It can be ordered from the CX website or some gun stores. That is, a fully dedicated gun stores, not places that sell guns stuff too like walmart. A real gun store.

Find the isle that has the gun lubricants and cleaners. Look for the "Corrosion-x For Guns"

Last edited by Inaccurate; 01-11-2011 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 04:15 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Great information! Have you heard of any particular areas on these cars that are rust prone? It seems like some cars have rust that forms above the wheel wells...any ideas on what can be done there?
Old 01-11-2011, 06:23 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,014 Likes on 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by sddale
Great information! Have you heard of any particular areas on these cars that are rust prone? It seems like some cars have rust that forms above the wheel wells...any ideas on what can be done there?
Keep the paint clean and try to use a clay bar to get rid of any particles. As well someone showed me a decontamination product from Aquartz called Iron Cut. It's worked some real magic on wheels from what I've seen.

The best thing to do is not worry about the paint, but worry about the other portions of the car such as the underbody. Wash it well at those coin places and as well be sure to get in all the areas.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:38 PM
'06 WDP TL 6MT

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
+1 for the coin op places, and bring along some ramps or jackstands. The road salt completely eats cars up here in the northeast.