Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for Car cover

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 01:41 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions for Car cover

Hi guys! I'm looking for a car cover for my tl, I think its about time to get one since winter is coming and im becoming a clean/detail addict for the car lol. So I wanted to ask you guys if anyone knew where to get a good car cover below $150. I was looking for some and these are the ones I found. Please Let me know which one u guys think is good. Replies would be really appreciated

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Thanks
Old 10-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Advanced

Anyone? :-/
Old 10-22-2010, 12:28 PM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
Shouldn't the regular ones at walmart do the trick?
Old 10-22-2010, 07:06 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've also been debating the car cover thing myself, but after reading up on the harm they can do to your paint if you don't get the right one and take care of it, I decided not too =/

do some search and you'll find the info
Old 10-23-2010, 12:08 AM
Advanced

There are some that are good tho. Like those are the ones I found in eBay but not sure which one to get
Old 10-23-2010, 07:51 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a big difference between a good quailty car cover and a cheap one. The cheap one will not breath properly and leAve scratches every time you take it off the car.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:39 PM
Advanced

None of the links are good quality?
Old 10-23-2010, 12:47 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
i might end up getting this one in the next few days. baltimore winters can be pretty harsh...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AMEWAX%3AVRI

^seems like an OK cover to me. i'd like to get OEM..but no way i'm spending $200. i've been scowering the BM for one for months to no avail.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:09 PM
Advanced

I would probably go for that one. I was trying to look for an oem and like u said, the lowest I found was 200
Old 10-24-2010, 02:53 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
i use a cover craft car cover (more or less all weather) on my car mostly when the weather is not a foul (ie raining or snow). short of a tarp or a garage/covered carpost, the wet stuff will just have to get the car wet and dirty on bad weather days. yes i paid over $200 for a cover, but the cheaper the cover you aren't really getting the type of protection you may want. i have no scratches from the cover (i've been using one for a few years now, since i was getting tired of the leaves, the bird bombs, the sap covering my car after i washed it. the car is parked outside at home, but i have garage parking at work. if i know the weather is going to be wet, i just let the car get wet, since i know i'll be washing it anyway by the end of the week. car covers really weren't meant to be used for snow or heavy down pours...the car is gonna get wet from seepage. hope this helps.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Car covers definitely require caution and careful cleaning of your car before putting them on, but if you have to park outside during a snowstorm they can be well worth it. Note that you shouldn't buy just the cover. You'll also need, at a minimum, a cable with a lock to secure the cover.

I've found that a single cable is not enough because on a very windy day the cover can still be pulled loose and dragged around your car (risking scratches from the lock or from the cover getting whipped around). The latest Griot's Garage catalogue that just came in the mail last week had these car cover clamps that seem like they might be worth a try: http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...over+clamps.do

Yeah, you might be able to make your own, but for $12.99 I may give them a go. They also look easier to use than the regular cable lock I have because it's a pain getting the lock underneath the car. I took an old wire coat hanger and un-bent it so that the one end can be used as a hook. I thread the cable through one side of the car cover, put the lock in place, and toss the cable as far under the car as I can. Then I lie down on the road and reach underneath with the coat hanger hook to drag it over to the other side of the car, where I undo the lock, finish securing the cover, and lock it all into place.

I need to replace the car cover for my RX-7 convertible because the cover got a big tear in it last winter. My old cover was from Griot's based on a recommendation from my brother, who had bought one of their covers for his 1974 Beetle. My old cover fit quite well and did a very good job of keeping the car dry. It just finally got torn after several years' worth of use when I was cleaning off some of the massive snow dump we got last February (so as to relieve some of the weight on the convertible top). I'll probably order another one from them because I was quite satisfied and because I haven't found a better deal elsewhere; in addition, they currently have a 15% off sale going on orders over $125 if you have the right keycode for use at online checkout.

Ultimately what it boils down to on price is that if you care about your car's paint, the price of the car cover should not be your most important consideration (within reason, of course). Instead you should focus on finding the best-quality one you can afford.

The big thing is to CLEAN THE CAR before putting the cover on.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:16 PM
Full of water...

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Covers are a great idea, but not convenient if used every day. If anything gets between the cover and the car, scratches. They are a pain to install properly when it is cold, icy, windy..etc. And when not in use, where do you store a giant bulky frozen cover? Keep us updated though, I am interested to see what you end up with!
Old 10-25-2010, 02:21 PM
BANNED

it's funny reading all these opinions on covers. a lot of it depends on where you live as well. in maryland, we get some pretty rough winters. especially last years...over 5 feet.

covers can be a pain in the ass, as stated by other members.

i still want to get one tho, and just put it in PRIOR to anything crazy that is about to happen outside.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:45 PM
UA6 NPB!!!!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
someone is selling an OEM car cover for 125 i believe.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:58 PM
BANNED

Originally Posted by pjillta
someone is selling an OEM car cover for 125 i believe.
yeah but i think that is an old thread and the seller is awol...
Old 10-25-2010, 07:30 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
The big thing is to CLEAN THE CAR before putting the cover on.[/QUOTE]

absolutely, the car MUST be clean prior to using the cover. otherwise what's the point?? usually once my car gets dirty, the cover stays off until the next bath. the hassles of the cover aren't that bad. a couple of minutes to take it off and couple of minutes to put it on. we had the dumper snow here last winter....i just left the cover off. i'd wash it then the salt and road crap would cover my car....no cover until practically all DRY weather.

for me i just like having a clean car. garage parking at work helps keep my car clean during the day, while the cover provides protection at night.

prices of covers vary greatly between fitted covers and the one size fits many cars of similar dimensions.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:36 PM
UA6 NPB!!!!

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...ight=car+cover check that one out, it is still kinda active lately. maybe he hasnt sold it yet.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:38 AM
Advanced

I did leave a pm there but he never replied, so then i ended up buying this 1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AMEWAX%3AVRI

Hopefully its going to be good , Ill post a pic, it should be here tomorrow
Old 10-29-2010, 07:12 AM
BANNED

Originally Posted by Sarbag510
I did leave a pm there but he never replied, so then i ended up buying this 1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...%3AMEWAX%3AVRI

Hopefully its going to be good , Ill post a pic, it should be here tomorrow
sick...let me know how you like it. that's the one i was eyeing up as well. just havent pressed "click" yet.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:51 AM
Advanced

I finally got it. I think its pretty good. The inside part is soft too, so I believe it wont scratch. It fits pretty good as well. Here are some pics.

Silver color is the outside part n white inside

Sorry for the pic quality was taken with my phone lol.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:45 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 306 Likes on 193 Posts
I Have dealt with over 5 different makers on EBAY. All are weak, garbage, bad material, no mirror holders and NONE fit snug. It was almost like I threw a huge garbage bag over my car and it was horrible. It always needed to be tied up or it would fly away and always got loose. I found a good deal on an OEM one and having seen almost 6 different kinds, nothing compares to OEM. I would find a used one or if people are interested may I can get a GB going.

Last edited by AckTL05; 11-01-2010 at 02:48 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by 1995hoo

I've found that a single cable is not enough because on a very windy day the cover can still be pulled loose and dragged around your car (risking scratches from the lock or from the cover getting whipped around). The latest Griot's Garage catalogue that just came in the mail last week had these car cover clamps that seem like they might be worth a try: http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...over+clamps.do

I wanted to follow up on the comment above. I got the car cover clamps referred to there. I had some trouble with them on my RX-7 because the bunji cords that stretch under the car kept snapping back. Those things REALLY HURT if they hit you when they do that!!! When I put the cover on the RX-7, it was a really cold day and I found I had to take my gloves off to manipulate the plastic clips....well, when the bunji cord snapped back, it smacked my left hand and I was bellowing profanities in pain.

Eventually I got them all working on the RX-7 and they've held very nicely in the wind. Tonight I went outside to cover Ms1995hoo's RSX in advance of the snow that's forecast for the weekend. Car cover clamps worked fine on the back of the car, but on the front the bunji cord snapped back again, nailed me in the foot, and broke the clamp in the process. I was NOT amused. Other car cover clamps I've found online use the same design, so I may just say the hell with it and leave it the way it is with the front un-clamped, or I may go to a hardware store for some spring clamps covered with rubber and use those to clamp the cover to the bottom of the bumper.

Just wanted to post this word of warning. My brother has had absolutely no trouble using the clamps on his 1974 Beetle, but of course that is a much smaller car. They seem to work fine IF you can get them to hold, but that bunji cord snapping back is a SERIOUS danger, so please be very careful if you decide to use these things!