Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it stupid to go to dealer for this?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 06:52 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is it stupid to go to dealer for this?

Got in my Car the other night and noticed driver heated seat was not illuminated. The orange lights worked just not the blue. Looks cheap at night and I'm aggravated with it.. I have one of the Best Warranties ( so they say ) and don't see why it wouldn't be covered. I made an appointment for tomorrow morning I'm meeting with a new service guy since the one i use to deal with quit. Hopefully he's not a D*ck and will do it.

Saw the DIYS and it looks like a pain to rip the car apart for a light bulb..

Also was going to mention to him about the fact that when Im driving and have radio on & the switch on rear defroster AM/FM channels go fuzzy.

Im sure the antenna is in the back window however how would i know that ? (tinted back window would probably void that) Seriously how would i know the back window is an antenna.......................................
Old 12-04-2011, 06:56 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I think the anntena is on the roof?
Old 12-04-2011, 07:37 PM
Instructor

I think the XM antenna is on the roof.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:41 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by carbngrytl
I think the anntena is on the roof?
That's the XM antenna.

To replace the heated seat light bulb is EASY!

1. Remove silver trim garnishes on both sides.
2. Remove a few screws on the center console.
3. Push back center console.
4. Now you have access to replace the bulbs.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 599 Likes on 417 Posts
I have the same problem with my passenger side heated seat switch. I'll get around to fixing it one day.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Instructor

the How to's show soldering and such.. i have no time or patience for that. Do you guys think my warranty would cover that, has anyone actually gone to dealer?

Also my driver mirror is brown inside for some reason anyone know what thats about?
Old 12-04-2011, 07:56 PM
Early Shifter

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by ISOSUNRISE6
the How to's show soldering and such.. i have no time or patience for that. Do you guys think my warranty would cover that, has anyone actually gone to dealer?

Also my driver mirror is brown inside for some reason anyone know what thats about?
I'm pretty sure soldering is only required if you're switching to certain LED's. New OEM bulbs are just a direct swap.

The brown mirror I have read is from the heat being on while there is no ice on the glass.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:59 PM
Team Owner

^^^^

Our heated mirrors sucks ass.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:00 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by ohsixMTee
I'm pretty sure soldering is only required if you're switching to certain LED's. New OEM bulbs are just a direct swap.

The brown mirror I have read is from the heat being on while there is no ice on the glass.
Correct!

Only way to fix it is to buy replacement glass or use multivex mirrors over it.

I think my mirrors were the worst I've ever come across on this site.

Can't believe I drove with them for a year !
Old 12-04-2011, 08:01 PM
Team Owner

^^^^

Damn....that sucks.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
holy shit guitarplayer. you weren't lying when you said the worse on the site.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:22 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by RaviNJCLs
^^^^

Damn....that sucks.
Originally Posted by vietxquangstah
holy shit guitarplayer. you weren't lying when you said the worse on the site.
Haha it's funny when I see threads "I have a little brown mark on the bottom of my mirror".

Mine took up almost half the damn mirror LOL

Came this way when I bought the car.
I've never turned on the heated mirrors before.
Don't plan to especially with my new ones.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:41 AM
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Got in my Car the other night and noticed driver heated seat was not illuminated. The orange lights worked just not the blue. Looks cheap at night and I'm aggravated with it.. I have one of the Best Warranties ( so they say ) and don't see why it wouldn't be covered. I made an appointment for tomorrow morning I'm meeting with a new service guy since the one i use to deal with quit. Hopefully he's not a D*ck and will do it.

Saw the DIYS and it looks like a pain to rip the car apart for a light bulb..
My dealer was a huge d*ck. They told me that "bulbs" were not covered under either the factory warranty, or the Acura Care extended warranty I got, and claimed that the bulb in the switch was bad as the switch still worked to turn the heaters on/off, and then claimed me something ridiculous to fix it.

I knew the bulb wasn't bad, because if you tapped the switch, the light would come on... (Mine the orange bulb intermittantly worked) So I pulled the schematic from the service manual, and showed the service department, and showed them that the schematic shows the switch was a double position double throw switch, (basically it was two switches in one. One for the heater, and one for the bulb),and that one of the poles controlled the relay for the heated seat, and the other pole was for the bulb. Since tapping on the switch makes the light come on, the switch for the bulb was intermitant/faulty. I even pointed out the warranty documentation that showed that switches were covered, and that their rationale that the switch was ok, because the heaters still worked was faulty, becuase the schematic shows the switch was double pole, meaning that the part of the switch controlling the heater was ok, but the part controlling the light was faulty. The service department still refused to fix it under warranty.

Last edited by avs007; 12-05-2011 at 12:49 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:59 AM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
Originally Posted by ohsixMTee

+1 and plug n play LED's are now available. It's a pretty simple fix. The dealer maybe hesitant to fix this as others have stated plus I'd rather DIY than take it to them to potentially damage something else.

Last edited by TLDude876; 12-05-2011 at 06:02 AM.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:05 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
I would change the bulb myself. I don't trust the dealer to do anything. They will most likely damage parts and break clips without telling you. Then you will wonder why you have new rattles.

As for the brown mirror, I would not just blame it on being heated. The 2nd gen cl/tl has heated mirrors and never seen this happen on older acuras. It is very common on audis tho. I would think it is just a quality issue where they are cutting corners now like the dash that cracks in the 3rd gen. You won't find any 2nd gen or older acuras with cracking dashes either.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:29 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
my driver's side seat heater switch light was fixed by my dealer free of charge (i was there getting a few other things done, oil change etc). i just asked them to take a look at it, they swapped the bulb. mine was intermittent when the light would turn on. the seat heater worked fine. i think i was just outside my warranty period too (like 9 mos out of my original b to b). there are still some decent dealers out there that will take care of you. granted i have service history with them which usually helps.

OP- not sure about the fuzzy FM/AM stations with the rear defroster turned on. do you have tint in your car? from what i gather, in your post is that you don't have tint?? i don't listen to the radio in my car...only XM or CDs.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:01 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
my driver's side seat heater switch light was fixed by my dealer free of charge (i was there getting a few other things done, oil change etc). i just asked them to take a look at it, they swapped the bulb. mine was intermittent when the light would turn on. the seat heater worked fine. i think i was just outside my warranty period too (like 9 mos out of my original b to b). there are still some decent dealers out there that will take care of you. granted i have service history with them which usually helps.

OP- not sure about the fuzzy FM/AM stations with the rear defroster turned on. do you have tint in your car? from what i gather, in your post is that you don't have tint?? i don't listen to the radio in my car...only XM or CDs.
Yes-there are good dealers-too bad the bad ones ruin it for them. I had problems with the glove box recently-the lock jammed. The dealer replaced the glove box free. It is now so much more easy to open. They also replaced the heater switch light. I did not even request it-the tech noticed it was out. Love my dealer.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:18 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My experience with interior lighting is that it is not covered under warranties unless it is part of the instrument lighting, as that may be a safety issue. The "D" indicator went out in my wife's CR-V (on the dash) and Honda originally was not going to cover it. I showed them that instrumentation lighting was covered and they did the work without further hassle (can only imagine what it took/cost to do that little light, but it was annoying).

That being said, I think it is up to the dealer and your relationship with them. Some dealers may assist, but I don't think it's an issue that would be covered under an extended warranty. Good luck!
Old 12-05-2011, 08:27 AM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
^^This.
Most lighting is considered a "wear" item and is not covered under warranty.
With that said, having a good relationship with a dealer you trust can take you a long way. If you're new to Acura, or your particular dealer, a goodwill purchase of a couple pizzas at lunch time will do a lot to establish that new relationship on a positive note.
Old 12-05-2011, 09:18 AM
Instructor

thanks for all the feedback, Well i found out DCH Acura In Verona NJ SUCKS. I try dealing with one service guy he quit... New guy i spoke to a few months ago also is no where to be found. I got an 80 year old man helping me claiming they don't take Wheelz Warrenty blah blah then says oh wait we do never mind... I almost flipped his desk over. Then starts telling me its 177 to look over everything and they deff won't cover it I go then why would i waste my time here. walked out got some food and now I'm home on AZ.

OK So changing the light bulb for that switch is easy? no soldering? Anyone know the bulb size or where i can get one? also A how to on how to get the switch out?

I was thinking getting a new switch but if its easier to just change a plug and play bulb I'm totally down to do that. all feedback is appreciate.

PS that mirror is not the worse i have seen, I saw a TL wit maybe an inch of mirror left to it i took a pic I'm going to look around for it. this car disappoints me sometimes =[
Old 12-05-2011, 09:48 AM
Instructor

Just Called a different Acura and they have the part, nicer person answering the phone, I want to range dealerships I'm over the one i go to the rudeness and not knowing what there talking about is really getting to me.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:27 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
I have the same problem with my passenger side heated seat switch. I'll get around to fixing it one day.
Same. My driver's side switch still illuminates but the passenger one is burnt out. I've been planning to replace the bulb.. for like 2 years now

Our heated mirrors sucks ass.
Mine still work fine

Oh and btw, a few years ago when my car was still under warranty, I noticed that one of the blue LED lights in the top console was burnt out so I took it to the dealer to get it replaced. They said something like they had to replace the whole circuit board thing under there, but to summarize, they DID replace it free of charge. I was fine with that, I just had to re-program my homelink.
Old 12-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Instructor

I can't find a DIY on actually changing the stock bulb anyone wanna help out?
Old 12-05-2011, 10:50 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Originally Posted by guitarplayer16
That's the XM antenna.

To replace the heated seat light bulb is EASY!

1. Remove silver trim garnishes on both sides.
2. Remove a few screws on the center console.
3. Push back center console.
4. Now you have access to replace the bulbs.

How easy is it for a noob? Can you show us how to remove the silver garnishes and where the screws are? And how long did it take?
Old 12-05-2011, 11:19 AM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

^ just pry the edge of the garnish starting from the end closest to the arm rest. Once the garnish is off you will see the screws that need to be removed
Old 12-05-2011, 11:36 AM
2014 Jeep SRT

Received 1,615 Likes on 1,030 Posts
Just FYI...I took my TL to the Acura dealer to replace this exact same bulb. They replaced it, under warranty, no questions asked. Sucks that your dealer is being such a douche about it.
Old 12-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Instructor

just tried taking silver trim around radio off FAIL! can't get it off near the climate control its stuck if i pull anymore i feel like every things going to break! helppppppppp!
Old 12-05-2011, 12:48 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by imj0257
Same. My driver's side switch still illuminates but the passenger one is burnt out. I've been planning to replace the bulb.. for like 2 years now

Mine still work fine
That was my plan too.

As for the heated mirror....it works, but not as well as the last car I had.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:07 PM
Drifting

Received 209 Likes on 170 Posts
just tried taking silver trim around radio off FAIL! can't get it off near the climate control its stuck if i pull anymore i feel like every things going to break! helppppppppp!
It gets pretty tight up there. Try pulling it off to the side more than towards you. It will come off. Just try not to twist it.
There was a series of videos for removing all of these pieces by LoveMyTLS (I think).
Old 12-05-2011, 01:20 PM
07 WDP TL Type S

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I have the same bulb out on my drivers side.. it bugs me to see only one of my heater switches lit up. I think Ill do it when i start my a/v install in the armrest..please let us know if its easy
Old 12-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

I know what you mean, pull and twist slightly at the same time
Old 12-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Instructor

Huge Success!

So basically what I did was take a butter like (like stated in other threads) and wrapped a cloth around it and started from arm rest and worked my way up lightly prying up.

When I got as far as Volume Knob and Right side (selector knob) I STOPPED
...Heard cracking-noise

Moved both seats back as far as they go and opened center console. and removed the rubber bottom/and 2 screws under it. put them in cup holder

From there I was able to see maybe 8-10 screws, this was without really moving the Trim pieces as they were held on by a thread

Put all the screws aside and was able to (without ANY real force) slide the center console back

At this point i was able to see all crumbs, stains, sticky shit etc below(great time to clean, of course i didn't because i was all stressed out about breaking something )

Now I see Both heated seat switches and try taking them out however they feel held in by something, took a short phillips head screw driver and removed 2 gold screws, LOST 1! but grabbed hold of the other, and switch came right out again with no force.

Clearly you can see the wiring harness attached and was about to remove that again NO force necessary and VIOLA i had the switch in my hand..

CAREFULLY pulled off the white sticker and set that aside and had full access to my screw-looking blue bulb.

lightly turned it counter clockwise, and put the new one in.

This whole process took less then 30 minutes and probably would have went faster if I wasn't a nervous wreck.

Got the Part at Open Road Acura in Wayne NJ (35852-SEP-A02) for $6.42 with tax..

Not bad.

Put everything back even the switch with the missing screw that i hopefully find someday. Putting everything back together was less then 5 minutes.

Next task is cleaning under there, going to search for a thread in the Garage on removing driver seat.

Thanks again for all support everyone

PS on a scale from 1-10, this job was about a 2 For a noob like my self.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:10 PM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Sweet! Sometimes the bulbs dont even blow out, they just need a lil twisting. I wouldnt be surprised if you tried the old bulbs now and they still work.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:13 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS ISOSUNRISE6!! Feels great to get something done like that doesn't it! Glad you were able to get it done.

Thanks for the follow up with your experience and the details. I am sure that they will come in handy for anyone that has to remove those trim pieces and especially for those that have to do this exact job.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Race Director

Congrats!

Told ya it was easy LOL

I found a credit card, money, crumbs, dust, etc. from the previous owner(s) when I slid back my center console LOL
Old 12-05-2011, 05:53 PM
08 MDX, 04 TL (sold)

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by vmodi89
I have the same bulb out on my drivers side.. it bugs me to see only one of my heater switches lit up.
I had one burnt out probably 4 years ago and I replaced it. (It is not hard, but a bit of a pain.) Later the other one went out and I never got around to fixing it. It always drove me crazy seeing only one lit up, but recently the other one went out and now I'm happy with both of them being out!
Old 12-05-2011, 07:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by jhumbo
I had one burnt out probably 4 years ago and I replaced it. (It is not hard, but a bit of a pain.) Later the other one went out and I never got around to fixing it. It always drove me crazy seeing only one lit up, but recently the other one went out and now I'm happy with both of them being out!
I would be happy to since the above map light i guess you can call it (the blue one) at night lights everything up down there.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:39 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ok I don't mean to sound like a newb/idiot.... but what blue lights are we talking about here? my heated seat switch only lights up orange..? I bought the car used and thats how its been since I owned it.
Old 12-06-2011, 05:58 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good Q Falcon, I always wondered about the BLUE lights on the top console, it's not powerful enough to notice the blue reflection on the shift console, just mildly.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:03 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
OP's car with the overhead blue LED...probably aftermarket and installed by PO which makes it a little brighter. stock blue LED for overhead is there but you really have to look for it. its meant to be an accent not usable light.

Quick Reply: Is it stupid to go to dealer for this?