Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stupid college students...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 05:53 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stupid college students...

So I am a freshman in college and I leave my car parked in the lot. I live in NJ so we recently had a huge blizzard and unfortunately some stupid f*cking car reversed into my car and basically hit and ran... How much do you think it would cost to fix up this? Where should I go?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 01-28-2011, 06:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
insurance.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:15 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Received 172 Likes on 163 Posts
I feel ya. I'm a senior...shit pisses me off. Park elsewhere if you can. I dont park on campus and I walk a little farther but it's worth it
Old 01-28-2011, 06:21 PM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
that really sucks. unfortunately hit and run is comprehensive. So basically you'll be out your deductable. Which if it was me would be $500. Sorry to hear that man.
Old 01-28-2011, 06:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 201 Likes on 145 Posts
My deductible is $50 for comprehensive just for crap like this
Old 01-28-2011, 07:32 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

What does it mean "insurance wise" when you say comprehensive?
Old 01-28-2011, 07:42 PM
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by Trunk Monkey
What does it mean "insurance wise" when you say comprehensive?
"Comprehensive" part of the policy covers the car for pretty much everything that happens to it while you're not driving. Scheit-happens kind of stuff, again, while you're no one's driving. Because you're not at fault, the deductible is usually lower. A tree branch falling on your car, a hit-and-run driver hitting it while it's parked, anything you can't possibly be at fault for causing the damage are things that are covered by the comprehensive policy. The flip side is the "collision" part of the policy and that is the coverage when you're driving or possibly when someone else is driving.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:50 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

So if someone hit my front bumper at school, do your insurance rates go up?
Old 01-28-2011, 09:21 PM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
that sucks man, FYI, hit and run would fall under your collision coverage not comprehensive
Old 01-28-2011, 09:44 PM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
Bro, im in jersey and in college, and i park my fucking acura in the corner spot FAR away from other cars in the parking deck and never in the outside lot. Sometimes i come to school early just to snag a sweet spot for my car. I feel your pain, people are fucking morons and have no respect for anyone else's car. You can bet some retard in a corolla hit your car and didnt even think twice about it
Old 01-28-2011, 10:23 PM
Coolest A-zine Member

Haha wtf....in your sig it says you drive a Corolla
Old 01-28-2011, 11:07 PM
Advanced

how much do you think it would cost to repair it at a body shop or maaco?
Old 01-28-2011, 11:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by TL BPJ
how much do you think it would cost to repair it at a body shop or maaco?
I would rather leave it damaged then go to maaco personally ......Check local body shops for estimates.
Old 01-28-2011, 11:29 PM
injured... injured bad

Do this:
-call your insurance company
-give them your policy number and tell them you want to open a claim
-tell them what is wrong with your car and ask if them if it is filed as a part of you collision insurance or comprehensive insurance (different deductibles for each, deductible is what you pay while the insurance company pays the rest)
-they will give you a claim number
-ask if they have any body shops they recommend
-go to that shop and give them your insurance claim number for an estimate (all you will pay is the deductible - ex: mine is $500)

Keep a folder of all claim numbers, receipts, invoices, etc
Old 01-28-2011, 11:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 765 Likes on 550 Posts
damn man i just got my 08 TL a few days ago and i can't imagine someone else running into my car. i'd probably slash their tires out.

i've had someone hit my car while trying to pull into a parking spot (i was driving a isuzu rodeo sport). i got out, and there wasn't really much of a scratch so i didn't really care much. the other dude was driving a big ass dodge truck, surprised it barely did anything.

i bet he did it, lol jk
Old 01-28-2011, 11:59 PM
Advanced

yeah I think I'm only covered under liability so I may need to pay out of pocket. I am completely aware that its just one of the smallest dents ever, but it really hurts my heart because I baby the shit out of my car more than my own girlfriend sometimes :X Hopefully I'll be able to clean out that little dent for under $200 and the next time i see someone attempt to hit and run, I'll slash their tires.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:04 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
You don't have comprehensive? You really need to get it especially driving a TL/newer car.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:06 AM
Coolest A-zine Member

Yes...but he's 18 and likely will get hit with a rising payment. I'd find out if it will raise your rates. If so, just pay out of pocket. Shouldn't be too bad
Old 01-29-2011, 12:10 AM
Advanced

nah i don't bro. i just needed insurance and now I'm paying the price. I'll just stack dough til i hit $500 and go to Maaco and maybe i'll get it fixed. It's annoying ugh i just payed for firestone lifetime alignment and two new front tires, and now I have a tranny fluid change coming up, plus this. -.-
Old 01-29-2011, 12:39 AM
2007 TL Type-S NBP

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
For the record, Collision is for when the driver is at fault for damage while the vehicle is being operated, comprehensive covers when the vehicle is damaged while parked. I've had to use it twice in my relatively short lifetime. First time a jerk backed into my Neon at Blockbuster and ran, second time someone broke into my Maxima and stole my radar detector, gps, and ipod. I know, my own fault for leaving them in the car overnight. Taking them in two thirds of the time isn't as good as all the time.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:41 AM
3.2TL

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Find them, put them in a garbage bag, tie some weights to the bag. Throw in river
Old 01-29-2011, 02:42 AM

Maaco is bad.

Not to sound rude or anything, but I don't think you should mod your car at all unless you have full coverage insurance including comprehensive.

18 is not an excuse IMO. I've had insurance since 15 and worked to pay an extra $180-200 it added to my parents insurance. Now I know different lives, different situations, etc... But worst case scenario, you hit someone and it totals your car. You now have nothing. Now I don't want to change the thread from College Students and there lack of driving and insurance, but it's very vital.

I say don't worry about it for now. It's not that noticeable. Get some sort of touch-up paint or from paintscratch.com and "touch it up". Use any money to buy full coverage insurance
Old 01-29-2011, 02:58 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow that sucks man. im also going to a college where parking is horrible but nice cars around so at least theyll watch their own rides.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:11 AM
US Navy Seabees

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by thechamp531
maaco is bad.

Not to sound rude or anything, but i don't think you should mod your car at all unless you have full coverage insurance including comprehensive.

18 is not an excuse imo. I've had insurance since 15 and worked to pay an extra $180-200 it added to my parents insurance. Now i know different lives, different situations, etc... But worst case scenario, you hit someone and it totals your car. You now have nothing. Now i don't want to change the thread from college students and there lack of driving and insurance, but it's very vital.

I say don't worry about it for now. It's not that noticeable. Get some sort of touch-up paint or from paintscratch.com and "touch it up". Use any money to buy full coverage insurance
+1.
Old 01-29-2011, 09:58 AM
Plastic schmastic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by TheChamp531

This is such good advice!! Take it!!

On a different note, the "dude/bro" and cussing quotient of this thread is off the charts! Sheesh.....
Old 01-29-2011, 11:05 AM
Op is too busy to care

Received 913 Likes on 540 Posts
i've been caught...
sorry to the owner of the black acura that i backed up into

pretty sure the model was a TL
Old 01-29-2011, 01:36 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts
that cracked me up KillerG haha

well i do the same, i have class @ 7am so the parking lot is literally empty so i grab single parking spots every morning (: sucks that it happened to you though id be pissed...it's one of the reasons i kept my side moldings to avoid door dings from idiots if i ever have to park between cars
Old 01-29-2011, 06:53 PM
Make it so

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

Comprehensive, although pricey, is a must especially for someone going to school (I would know- I'm a college senior right now).

Granted, I've never had to use it, so I've been spared the headache with insurance. But until I do, paying $500 every six months sucks because without ever having to use it, it feels like a money sink.

I don't regret it though. Get comprehensive and you'll never have this problem again.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
sucks man especially with the insurance and stuff ... see if u can get some paintless dent removal done and apply some touch up ... it will prob be cheaper then getting the whole hood redone
Old 01-29-2011, 08:50 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by loc05tl
wow that sucks man. im also going to a college where parking is horrible but nice cars around so at least theyll watch their own rides.
I go to college too, but thankfully there are several people in my parking deck with nicer cars. There's an M-Class, an X3, couple of 3-Series, a few C-Classes, a GLK-Class, a few Lexus RXs, and a Land Rover LR2, to name a few.

I figure if thieves strike, they'll go after those before they go after mine...

Also, I second the necessity of comprehensive and collision coverage on something as new as the original poster's car.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:40 AM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Weird, someone hit my bumper Friday..no note, nothing. Just a nice gash and webbed paint

I'll be driving the Ford Taurus the rest of the year.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:07 AM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
In addition to the points others have made about why you should have comprehensive coverage, consider that it will pay for things like windshield replacement if it happens due to something like a rock hitting it on the highway or the like. "Shit-happens" stuff is one way to look at it; the term commonly used in the insurance and legal fields would be "acts of God," i.e., stuff you had no control over and couldn't really foresee. An example of comprehensive coverage that ought to resonate with anyone in the DC, New York/New Jersey, or New England areas this week would be if a tree branch, heavily-laden with snow, breaks off and lands on your car and smashes out the moonroof. That's something you submit to insurance under your comprehensive coverage.

Most (though perhaps not all) insurance carriers will not raise your rate if you submit a comprehensive claim, whereas they will raise your rate if you submit a collision claim. That's because, as others have noted, the stuff covered by comprehensive coverage is not tied to what sort of a risk you represent to the carrier. Insurance carriers have all sorts of actuarial tables where they measure how much of a financial risk you pose (i.e., what are the odds they'll have to pay out money because of you), but an "act of God" is not something you did.

With that said, depending on your deductible, it's sometimes not even worth submitting it to insurance if the cost of the repair is only a tad more than the deductible.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:18 AM
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
so much misinfo on here about insurance. someone backing into your vehicle is not comprehensive, it's collision. definately would recommend looking at adding comprehensive since that does cover someone vandalizing your vehicle.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:09 AM
Saysdamnalot

That 19 year old that will hit and run will most likely become a 39 year old who will hit and run. It happens in my parking lot at work often enough to prove that.

Sorry about that man. Nothing worse than walking up on something like that.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:33 AM
Type II Coupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That's not even that bad. It currently looks worse than it really is. You'd be losing money going the insurance route IMO. If you were local, I could clean that up and it'd look pretty unnoticeable.

Just work out the kink on the bumper with a heat gun/hair dryer, then buff the paint on the bumper. That should be a quick repair on that. As far as the hood, you'd have to slowly work the metal back to it's shape, but it won't be flawless like it was before as the metal is now stretched and you're working without tools really. Once you smooth out the crease a bit, make sure to get some touch up paint on that ASAP. It's vulnerable to rusting at this point with the open paint chip like that. Rust moves quick, so move quickly on that one.

EDIT: Upon a second look, the bumper doesn't look bad. Just hit it with some polish and it should look like nothing happened. So take care of that hood. The dent doesnt even look severe so if you're comfortable, slowly work it out using say, a round dowel. Or, a PDR guy could even work that out and you just hit it with some touch up after to seal the open paint.

Last edited by AznBalla; 01-30-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:08 PM
RAR

Received 1,286 Likes on 714 Posts
Originally Posted by shellready
so much misinfo on here about insurance. someone backing into your vehicle is not comprehensive, it's collision. definately would recommend looking at adding comprehensive since that does cover someone vandalizing your vehicle.
Why would somebody doing damage to you vehicle and then running not be considered vandalism and therefor comprehensive? My guess is it remains comprehensive unless the other person is actually identified and their vehicle was determined to cause the damage and then your insurance can file a claim against their insurance at which point it can become collision.

Last edited by leedogg; 01-30-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:00 PM

^that's what I was thinking. Comptech chime in since you work at a insurance carrier
Old 01-30-2011, 01:19 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 930 Likes on 612 Posts
Originally Posted by DuoDSG
Comprehensive, although pricey, is a must especially for someone going to school (I would know- I'm a college senior right now).

Granted, I've never had to use it, so I've been spared the headache with insurance. But until I do, paying $500 every six months sucks because without ever having to use it, it feels like a money sink.

I don't regret it though. Get comprehensive and you'll never have this problem again.
Ouch, $500 every six months for just comp? I pay $38.50 with a 500 deductible, full glass with no deductible.

Originally Posted by shellready
+1

Maybe this will clear up the confusion.

http://www.carinsurance.com/kb/content31561.aspx

Originally Posted by leedogg
Why would somebody doing damage to you vehicle and then running not be considered vandalism and therefor comprehensive? My guess is it remains comprehensive unless the other person is actually identified and their vehicle was determined to cause the damage and then your insurance can file a claim against their insurance at which point it can become collision.
Vandalism is an intentional act of malice, not a car accident.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:24 PM
Make it so

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by anx1300c
Ouch, $500 every six months for just comp? I pay $38.50 with a 500 deductible, full glass with no deductible.
My bad, I should've clarified.

The $500 covers the following:

Bodily Injury Liability- $50/100k
Property Damage Liability- $50k
Uninsured Motorist- $50k
Uninsured Motorist Liability- $50k

Then again, my comprehensive is $100 with a $500 deductible.

Problem is, I've had a number of people look at it and my policy is the cheapest out there, as far as they can find. Sucks too, I would expect a better deal with a perfect driving record, no collisions or any claims...
Old 01-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Your Friendly Canadian

Received 1,485 Likes on 1,049 Posts
If your car is hit by another car, it's considered collision. I was a victim of a hit & run too, my car was sideswiped. Had to pay my collision deductible.

All this is pretty much useless though, considering OP only has liability.

Quick Reply: Stupid college students...