Sponsored by:

To stripe or not to stripe

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2005, 04:37 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool To stripe or not to stripe

Hello Board,

My name is Neil. I am the proud owner -- lessee actually -- of a great car. Great because it has the looks, and ummph you want in a sporty car. Plus, it's a great value, to boot.

I traded in my 02 TLS and am loving the new design. I never 'bonded' with the Gen 2 TL's because of the styling -- or lack thereof. I figured if you're gonna drive a car with some 'guts' it should look the part. It was only after I got the '02 that I fully realized that it like every other family car on the road.

I had a tough time deciding between the G35 and the TL. I 're-upped' with Acura in large part because of their marketing strategy. I always liked the idea that almost everything was standard. When you buy a car 'off the lot' from other dealers you sometimes have to 'settle' if the car has things you don't want or maybe is missing a thing or two that you do want. Not so with the Acura. (but you all knew that)

It's a double-edged sword though. Since all TL's look mostly identical, we have to go 'aftermarket' if we want to 'jazz up' our cars. Here in South Florida, there are lots of TL's and every other premium vehicle. To me, it's important to somehow make mine 'unique'. So, to that end, I have added the door sun guards, the moon roof visor, spoiler and yes, the much maligned Gold Package.

BTW: I have the remote ignition system -- the type that disables the factory alarm. It's great for those hot Florida days. The unit is 'two-way' in that if someone breaks into the car, the transmitter will sound off. It also lets me know at all times if the doors are locked or not.

Now, to my main question:

With all due respect to the 'Aesthetic Purists' I am very interested in adding some form of striping to the car. No, I'm not talking about the wimpy 80's style of stripes, I'm interested in making a bold statement.

Now, I want to do something that's 'different' but preserves the lines and form of the car itself. If we can put a man on the Moon, we can put some markings on the side of a car that adds to it's natural beauty, and doesn't detract from it.

I realize that I may be in the minority here. Add to that, the fact that I'm a newbie poster. So, I've dusted off my asbestos suit and am ready for the incoming flames. But, maybe there are some of you 'closet stripers' out there that have the guts to post openly and show me some samples of what you've done. For the faint-hearted, you can email or PM me with your thoughts on this.

Thanx all,

Neil in Florida
Old 03-18-2005, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
Here's some discussion to keep you busy for a while. Don't flame too hot, fellas, everyone is entitled to their opinion and the right to do what they want with their car. I took a lot of heat because I have the body side moldings, but as said in one of the links I took my stripes off because I didn't like them. To each his own.

Don’t stripe

Please don’t stripe

Pretty please don’t stripe
Old 03-18-2005, 04:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Tons of ways could make your car special, but not like this, IMHO...

Neil,

Welcome aboard

I don't like them either... this is another one... FYI.

Pinstripe Or No Pinstripe?

Congratulations for your new ride. Enjoy.
Old 03-18-2005, 04:53 PM
Systems Overlord

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't stripe!
Old 03-18-2005, 05:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts
definetly don't stripe
Old 03-18-2005, 05:44 PM
never stops!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Please
Old 03-18-2005, 05:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Stripe = cheesball...... do NOT stripe... i can't believe anyone would even entertain the notion w/ how classy the TL looks

I even hate the side moldings... i think it detracts from the elegant look
Old 03-18-2005, 05:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Doesnt seem to fit this car that well. Put your money into other stuff, like better wipers or different colored interior lighting.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:00 PM
Instructor

Dude, friends don't let friends stripe...

Listen to your forum pals here.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:02 PM
Instructor

I vote no stripe
Old 03-18-2005, 06:18 PM
Team Anthracite Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you must stripe, don't forget to add that wood paneling along the sides.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:19 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Neilg1958

With all due respect to the 'Aesthetic Purists' I am very interested in adding some form of striping to the car. No, I'm not talking about the wimpy 80's style of stripes, I'm interested in making a bold statement.
Well Neil, I was gonna support you, but since I have the "wimpy 80's style", you can go f**k off!!

Actually I do have silver pinstripes on my NBP/Ebony w/ winged spoiler. I was very nervous going to pick up the car. I wasn't sure how it was going to look, but I love it! I know I am in the Mega Minority on this board, but to each his own.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:34 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Dvus555
Well Neil, I was gonna support you, but since I have the "wimpy 80's style", you can go f**k off!!

Actually I do have silver pinstripes on my NBP/Ebony w/ winged spoiler. I was very nervous going to pick up the car. I wasn't sure how it was going to look, but I love it! I know I am in the Mega Minority on this board, but to each his own.
We won't bite you... This ain't the steroid scandal.

Thanks for the info...
Old 03-18-2005, 06:54 PM
321 whp SAE

DON'T STRIPE!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-18-2005, 07:02 PM
6th Gear

A couple of points I left out of the original post:

--- I think hot set of wheels can go a long way toward customizing my car. But remember, I'm leasing it. I'd have to keep the original rims around for the day I turn in the car. I have plenty of storage space, not a big deal. But it is a consideration.

--- The expense of the wheels is something I'd consider in 6 months or so. Not right now, though.

--- I'm determined to do something with the side of the car to make it stand out in a crowd. I'm open-minded to the possibility that what I'm looking for doesn't exist. That the designers of the TL made the perfect car and nothing on God's green Earth could improve upon it. However, I am also open-minded to the possibility that some harmonious blend of paint, and inspiration can be found. A veritable automotive Fung Schwei.

I respect peoples opinions and can agree to disagree. I hate Brocolli but if you love it, well, that's OK by me. That being said. I will accept it as a 'given' that many of you think the car should be left 'as is'. Can you accept the possibility that some tasteful, artful lines can in fact be added to the car and somehow make it better than it was without them?

I have to assume that there are TL owners out there that share my need to assert our uniqueness and have done something about it. There's a detail guy in the area that says he's done lots of cars. Although he hasn't done a Gen 3 TL. He was recommended highly and I'll be looking at his 'portfolio' next week to see what his past work has looked like.

My intent on this thread is to hear from people that have added lines -- or some other markings -- to their TL and would like to share their results, publicly or privately.

Frankly, I don't care if 100 of you come out against the idea for every one that's in favor of it. Feel free to warn me about the horrible mistake you think I'm making. By all means put me on your Ignore List so you'll never have to read my writings again. But I do ask that you try for 10 seconds to remain open to a possibility that what I'm looking for can exist out there AND that you might actually like it when you see it.

I love how the TL's looks. But, like a beautiful woman, a few well placed make-up touches can make a good thing even better.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:04 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Dvus555
Truth-be-told, I don't think the thin striping is so bad, myself. I was simply quoting another thread that used the 'wimpy' term.
Old 03-18-2005, 07:31 PM
jz

The TL already has a stripe. It runs from the front side marker to the back side marker. It needs no additional attention.

II don't like striping and have always thought of itas a low class money maker for dealers. York VW pinstripes EVERY car on the lot. When I bought my GTI they had to do a dealer swap to aquire one without it. I almost threw up the day I saw an R32 with a pinstripe next to a $50,000 Toureg with pinstripe.

JZ
Old 03-19-2005, 12:28 PM
Keep Right Except to Pass

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
I think a stripe can look very good, especially if you have the BSM as well. Funny I say that becaue I have both. NBP with camel and the stripe matches the interior. I've gotten a lot of compliments on it, although I know that the folks here would slag me out for it. I'd post a picture but it's on my other computer.....will come back later and do so. The key is to remember what Ron A said--it is YOUR car and if YOU like the way something looks, go ahead and do it and tell everyone else to sod off. I think that the car looks incomplete without the stripe, but I know that many others disagree. Ultimately, follow this rule: you're the one who pays for the car, drives it every day, and must be happy with its appearance, so don't worry about what everybody here thinks.

As far as "making a bold statement," I don't have any sort of mental image of what you mean. What initially comes to mind is the sort of stripes that some Mini Cooper owners have on the bonnet, but I'm sure that's not what you mean!
Old 03-20-2005, 06:30 AM
Drifting

I had a NBP 2002 TLS and I had a red pinstripe painted and thought it looked pretty good...on that particular car...but the 3G TL...IMHO looks much better plain...just my .02!!
Old 03-20-2005, 03:11 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by 1995hoo
I think a stripe can look very good, especially if you have the BSM as well. Funny I say that becaue I have both. NBP with camel and the stripe matches the interior. I've gotten a lot of compliments on it, although I know that the folks here would slag me out for it. I'd post a picture but it's on my other computer.....will come back later and do so. The key is to remember what Ron A said--it is YOUR car and if YOU like the way something looks, go ahead and do it and tell everyone else to sod off. I think that the car looks incomplete without the stripe, but I know that many others disagree. Ultimately, follow this rule: you're the one who pays for the car, drives it every day, and must be happy with its appearance, so don't worry about what everybody here thinks.

As far as "making a bold statement," I don't have any sort of mental image of what you mean. What initially comes to mind is the sort of stripes that some Mini Cooper owners have on the bonnet, but I'm sure that's not what you mean!
I also have received many complements on the hand painted stripes on my last several cars, including my current 04 TL.

Old 03-21-2005, 06:17 AM
Drifting

That is an awesome looking stripe, but personally I think it looks too "busy" with the angular lines of the TL. Whoever did the stripe did an excellent job though. BTW...your Anthracite TL looks great...nice job with the detailing...what type "wax" did you use? It really looks GREAT!
Old 03-21-2005, 07:54 AM
I'm Baaack!

--- I'm determined to do something with the side of the car to make it stand out in a crowd.
May I suggest an airbrushed rendition of "Dog's playing poker" (watch the bulldog he's cheating!)

I love how the TL's looks. But, like a beautiful woman, a few well placed make-up touches can make a good thing even better.
Ooooo even better idea ..... get the TL some implants!!!! Someone with photoshop has gotta do this one for me ... make sure the headlights are on, and just so we don't offend anyone you better give it a bra (no clearbra)
Old 03-21-2005, 08:24 AM
Team Anthracite Member

I am guessing that this pic was taken minutes after delivery of your TL? That is an extremely clean car - even the tail pipes have no carbon on then. VERY nice - course, I am partial to Anthracite

oh yeah, I personally do not like stripes, but that is what makes the world go round - different strokes.... BUT - if I did like stripes - those are very nicely done - nice job.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
well if the guy is leasing... then why put anything into it... The stripes do look nice on this car though...
Old 03-21-2005, 09:35 AM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
No stripes.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:21 AM
Racer

No stripes
Old 03-21-2005, 11:35 AM
Turbo kit in the works!!!

No stripes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-21-2005, 12:06 PM
Racer

Forget stripes.

FLAMES!!
Old 03-21-2005, 12:09 PM
FIGHTING ILLINI

Originally Posted by SpecialFX
Forget stripes.

FLAMES!!
Old 03-21-2005, 12:13 PM
It's never enough!

If you want something that will stand out from the rest of us TL owners, stripe it. As you can see from this forum, yours will one of a small (very small) handful with stripes. I am no fan of stripes, except on the '77 Buick I drove as a kid.

I agree with the post above....flames will really make it stand out.
Old 03-21-2005, 04:27 PM
I'm Baaack!

How's about something like this ...

Old 03-21-2005, 07:10 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by JetJock
That is an awesome looking stripe, but personally I think it looks too "busy" with the angular lines of the TL. Whoever did the stripe did an excellent job though. BTW...your Anthracite TL looks great...nice job with the detailing...what type "wax" did you use? It really looks GREAT!
Thanks, the “wax” I use is nothing exotic (or expensive), just Nu Finish. I try to wax it every 3 months or so, and it’s due again next month.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:40 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by TBone2004
I am guessing that this pic was taken minutes after delivery of your TL? That is an extremely clean car - even the tail pipes have no carbon on then. VERY nice - course, I am partial to Anthracite

oh yeah, I personally do not like stripes, but that is what makes the world go round - different strokes.... BUT - if I did like stripes - those are very nicely done - nice job.
The pics were taken more than minutes after delivery. They were taken the day before the post and I took delivery last September (6,600 miles ago). I guess a nice sunny day; a decent camera and the great Anthracite paint are a good combination.

Regarding your comment about no carbon on the tailpipes, I don’t remember ever seeing any on this car. Does it collect on yours?
Old 03-27-2005, 02:51 PM
Intermediate

To me it just like putting a mustache on the "Mona Lisa"... But some peeps like that stuff..
Old 03-27-2005, 03:46 PM
Instructor

No stripes not even pin stripes...keep the lines of the car clean
Old 03-27-2005, 05:29 PM
Burning Brakes

no stripes please