Strange Problematic Situation

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 10:45 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange Problematic Situation

Hello Everyone,

I would like to begin by saying one thing:

This is BY FAR the forum with the MOST USEFULL INFORMATION that I have found after 1 week of searching on the net.

This is my situation:

I have been a proud owner of a 2000 Prelude for the past 4 years. But at this point in my life I have decided to move towards a little more conservative looking car but did'nt want to forgo the great driving experience. What better model than the new Acura TL.

I live in Canada and I have a good friend who buys US lightly accidented cars, brings them into the country, fixes them up and sells them. This is great because you can get the cars for cheaper in the US sometimes and sell them for more in Canada. Plus the customer wins too because he gets the car for cheaper.

So he finds this Black on Black 5 Speed Automatic 2004 Acura TL with NAVI. The accident was located right on the passenger front fender. Needless to say the airbags popped and the windshield cracked. So there is minimal damage to the car. Replaced the fender, airbags and windshield and the car passes rigourous canadian inspection and is reddy to go.

I have to mention that there is a mention on the registrations that says (VGA) which means ( Vehicule Gravement Accidenté ) which means that the car has been accidented. They usually put that mention on the car's Registration when the cost of repairing the vehicle surpasses the cost of replacing it for insurance purposes. But, because the car was brought in from the USA into CANADA, once it crossed the border, the VGA tag was put on it.

So To RECAP:

- 2004 Acura TL
- 14000 Miles
- 5 Speed Automatic Transmission
- Navigation Package
- VGA (Accidented & Repaired)
- USA car in CANADA

My Question to you Guys:

Do I Still Have the Right to the Factory Recalls ?

I know I might not have access to the smaller problems like all the TBS I saw in your TBS section. But at least the bigger more serious problems like the transmission problem with the 2nd gear.

I don't know yet what the VIN number is on the car but regardless would like to know that I have peace of mind for any future issues if needed.

Like I said from what I've been readling on this forum in the past 4 days, you guys really know what you're taking about. I would appreciate any kind of info you guys might have on this issue.

I don't mind having to drive down to the US to get the recals fixed but I would just want to know that it will not come out of my pocket if the transmission fails.

Thank you everyone for your time in reading this question.

Thank you
ACURA TL PRE-OWNER
Old 03-26-2005, 10:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

IF the car has been labeled"Salvaged" in the US that mean the car is woid of any warranty.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:03 AM
Advanced

Thanks for the reply !

One small detail though, it is not the waranty that I am worried about. If I am not mistaken, the Recalls do not fall under the waranty category. They are security factory recals.

I mean potentially, if the transmission locks up in 2nd gear, it could cause me to crash and die. So I think that it is an obligation of the manufacturer to repair any problem that is caused by them.

Again, Correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you Again !
Old 03-26-2005, 02:28 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Why not call Acura/Honda Canada for a decision. Best to get the news from them directly I would think! Good luck.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,615 Likes on 2,194 Posts
Do you know the VIN of the salvaged car you're interested in? If so, you can find information about the recall in the 3G Garage, which is a stickied thread at the top of the forum. If the VIN is below around 14k, it's involved in the recall. If it's above, then no worries since manufacturing changes were made around then.

Originally Posted by 5AT04TL
Thanks for the reply !

One small detail though, it is not the waranty that I am worried about. If I am not mistaken, the Recalls do not fall under the waranty category. They are security factory recals.

I mean potentially, if the transmission locks up in 2nd gear, it could cause me to crash and die. So I think that it is an obligation of the manufacturer to repair any problem that is caused by them.

Again, Correct me if I am wrong.

Thank you Again !
Old 03-28-2005, 08:07 AM
Advanced

Unfortunately, I do not yet know what the VIN number is but I will find out tomorrow.

I have a feeling that it is in the range that needs the recall.

The car has 14000 Miles so I guess it was built around the time that the problem was'nt fixed yet.

Thanks
Old 03-31-2005, 12:45 AM
Advanced

bump