Sponsored by:

Stock vs. Aftermarket TL type-S

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 04:10 PM
Ride or Die !!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a bone stock 2007 TL type-s, but I was wondering if I should even mess with anything because I kind of feel that it was built to preform from the factory, just like the STI's, and evo's, except it's all engine!!! The car is good to me right now but I really wanted to upgrade th J- pipe at least and maybe a high flow cat!! will hooking up the TL set off malfunction sensors, cause heat issues, etc..... or is it better to just let it be!!

Old 04-27-2009, 04:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DJANZ07
I have a bone stock 2007 TL type-s, but I was wondering if I should even mess with anything because I kind of feel that it was built to preform from the factory, just like the STI's, and evo's, except it's all engine!!! The car is good to me right now but I really wanted to upgrade th J- pipe at least and maybe a high flow cat!! will hooking up the TL set off malfunction sensors, cause heat issues, etc..... or is it better to just let it be!!

Old 04-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
You'll be fine.. IMO.. the factory TL-S has no growl. I would do the above mods + catback exhaust of your liking. Pricey though..
Old 04-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Ride or Die !!

Your right about that!!

Originally Posted by Majofo
You'll be fine.. IMO.. the factory TL-S has no growl. I would do the above mods + catback exhaust of your liking. Pricey though..

The car has no growl for the power its making, it is also way too high I might drop it with the H&R springs!!
Old 04-27-2009, 04:29 PM
07 TL-S

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
im kinda like you; i dont wanna do too many things to my tl-s
just at least exhaust, jpipe, intake, and springs
Old 04-27-2009, 04:30 PM

I'd search through issues with the H&R springs and the 3G TL.. I've read some strange rear wheel alignment issues cause excessive tread wear that were sitting on H&R's.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:42 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Well as much as I love the Acura TL and TL Type S cars neither of them are by any means fast cars. Even if you put on a cold air intake and a catback exhaust that will do nothing for performance and even if it does its still gonna be a 13 or 14 second car or whatever they run. I say leave it alone and just enjoy the car.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:52 PM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
do it...havent heard from members about problems regarding thier TL after performance upgrades
Old 04-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Former Street Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
im in the same situation as you all are. Coming from a 454hp evo i think ima goin to leave it stock and just drop it and look nice. The TL's no race car but maybe a little more kick wont hurt lol
Old 04-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Racer

just do some exterior mods. just make it look pretty and enjoy the car
Old 04-27-2009, 08:53 PM
Instructor

Just remember - no matter how much money you put into the car to make it faster, there's always someone out there with a faster car. So just sit back and enjoy your TL (or Type S)....and let the faster guy get the speeding ticket.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:40 PM
Former Street Racer

Originally Posted by marmaladedad
Just remember - no matter how much money you put into the car to make it faster, there's always someone out there with a faster car. So just sit back and enjoy your TL (or Type S)....and let the faster guy get the speeding ticket.
so true, thats why i left the racing scene. it never stops until u break something then u make it even faster and then u break something again....... but simple bolt ons will make the car a little more fun thou
Old 04-27-2009, 11:58 PM
Instructor

I personally think it's pointless to do performance mod on this car too. If I wanted pure performance I wouldn't have bought a FWD at the first place. Small gain on the car is barely noticeable nor it's going to make a difference. A TL-S "bone stock" is pretty much fully loaded compared to a lot of other cars. Enjoy what you have.

If you have the mod bug (I do too), do cosmetic. Or you can spend the money on performance driving schools; being able to use more potential of the car as a driver makes a much bigger difference. Let's admit it, most of us are crappy drivers to some extend.

Last edited by Cerezo; 04-28-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 04-27-2009, 11:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,239 Likes on 703 Posts
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Well as much as I love the Acura TL and TL Type S cars neither of them are by any means fast cars. Even if you put on a cold air intake and a catback exhaust that will do nothing for performance and even if it does its still gonna be a 13 or 14 second car or whatever they run. I say leave it alone and just enjoy the car.
I disagree. Having a full exhaust setup & the intake, I'd say performance is much, much better. There's so much more torque than what the factory offers. And while from a dig, it's got itself limited by its FWD, from a roll, it's a much different opponent.

The TL Type-S may not be a fast car (of which, define fast since it did outperform a GT500 on Willow), I'd say it is a perfect follower of the NSX's setup. Good power, superior handling to most of its competition.

The TL cars will never be GT500 fast, but from personal experience & reading up on this site, it is definitely not a pushover, and with decent mods, is fast enough to put down a lot of cars from rolls.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:00 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
2007 TL-S with the following (it's no Evo, but it's fun enough for a 4-door grocery getter):

Engine/Exhaust:
P2R TB Spacer and Gaskets
P2R IM Gasket
TB Coolant Bypass
Fujita F5 CAI
UR Stock Size Pulley
ATLP J Pipe
ATLP Race Pipe
Dynomax Resonator plus Mid-Muffler Delete

Suspension/Handling:
HR Sport Springs
Progress 24mm RSB Set Firm
Stoptech Slotted Front Rotors
Racing Brake ET500 Pads
SS Brake Lines
Front Boat Anchor Delete
245/45-17 Michelin Pilot Sport AS Plus

Looks:
Debadged
35% Tint
Blacked Out Headlights
Nokya 7000k Arctic White Fogs
ACURA Front Bumper Decal
Full Interior & Reverse LED's
BlueBat Side Marker Tint
Momo CF EVO Shift Knob
Custom TypeS Dead Pedal
OE Front CF Trim Kit
Shaved Door Lock
THR TypeS Navi Bitmap

Does it perform better than stock? I'd say yes, but then again, I am emotionally and finacially invested.

Still Need:
Lightweight 18" wheels
Cat back exhaust
Pre-Cat deletes (not likely)
Racing Brake 2-Piece slotted front rotors
Old 04-28-2009, 12:44 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rick_TL-S
The TL Type-S may not be a fast car (of which, define fast since it did outperform a GT500 on Willow), I'd say it is a perfect follower of the NSX's setup. Good power, superior handling to most of its competition.
Based on...what? Lap times? The TLS ran a 1'32"88. The GT500 ran a 1'29"04.

I don't think it's a waste of money to make performance-modifications on the car. It's not for me, but I can see where other people enjoy extracting a bit more power than the factory provides.

FWD may not be the most ideal platform for all-out speed, but it does have benefits as well.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:21 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
+1 The 3rd Gen is one of the hottest looking cars on the road. The performance is "above avg" for a sports sedan- however it will never be to the likes of an M series, or AMG, and as much as I hate to admit it, I believe the G and IS350 got us too (but i will still make'em prove it on the road ). However, it gives me what i demand from my driving, and the CAI did enhance the "growl" that i was looking for, now its just exterior mods, A-SPEC kit with ebony's
Old 04-28-2009, 02:11 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,239 Likes on 703 Posts
Originally Posted by marmaladedad
Based on...what? Lap times? The TLS ran a 1'32"88. The GT500 ran a 1'29"04.

I don't think it's a waste of money to make performance-modifications on the car. It's not for me, but I can see where other people enjoy extracting a bit more power than the factory provides.

FWD may not be the most ideal platform for all-out speed, but it does have benefits as well.
That time was set on the Streets of Willow.

On Willow Springs, the TL-S ran 1:36.67, the GT500 at 1:36.80. Interestingly enough, on this track, the TL-S was under 2 seconds behind a DBS & an ACR Viper. The TL also posted better times than the M3, 997 Carrera S, C8 Spyder, Exige S 240 & IS350.

As I said, the TL Type S will never be GT500 fast in general, but it does everything the NSX did when it came out. Honda is a master in the art suspension tuning.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:26 PM
Instructor

On Willow Springs, the TL-S ran 1:36.67, the GT500 at 1:36.80. Interestingly enough, on this track, the TL-S was under 2 seconds behind a DBS & an ACR Viper. The TL also posted better times than the M3, 997 Carrera S, C8 Spyder, Exige S 240 & IS350.

As I said, the TL Type S will never be GT500 fast in general, but it does everything the NSX did when it came out. Honda is a master in the art suspension tuning.
Do you seriously believe that the TL-S is better on track than those cars listed?

As for your last statement, it's tossed out when someone puts a aftermarket spring on it for the looks.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:34 PM
Instructor

Good power, superior handling to most of its competition.
Good power - yes
Superior handling - no

I drove a E90 for over 3 years, test drove IS350 when I was looking for a car as well. Handling wise, E90 > IS > TL. Not sure about G's but I'd guess it's somewhere in between IS and TL. It doesn't mean I don't like my type-S; it suites my needs for the time being, but it's does not handle like the competitors I've driven.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:55 PM
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts
This is a very loaded question.... But me personally, as Rodney has said in another thread "low and slowww". I know I aint gonna beat no car, and dont want to even attempt unless I am just overtaking them
Old 04-29-2009, 08:23 AM
Ride or Die !!

Yea your right!!

Originally Posted by jeowen
+1 The 3rd Gen is one of the hottest looking cars on the road. The performance is "above avg" for a sports sedan- however it will never be to the likes of an M series, or AMG, and as much as I hate to admit it, I believe the G and IS350 got us too (but i will still make'em prove it on the road ). However, it gives me what i demand from my driving, and the CAI did enhance the "growl" that i was looking for, now its just exterior mods, A-SPEC kit with ebony's
The tl type-s will never be able to compare with the german M's, or AMG, becasue they are totally a diff type of breed, they are so stiff and the jap cars tend to be loose....... It does not really matter becasue I still love my tl type s it is good in all weather and sexy as hell the ladies love it..... The german cars can not compare in bad weather conditions all wheel drive or not the tl will out preform most cars in rain or snow too me at least........

Last edited by DJANZ07; 04-29-2009 at 08:24 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-29-2009, 09:33 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by Cerezo
Good power - yes
Superior handling - no

I drove a E90 for over 3 years, test drove IS350 when I was looking for a car as well. Handling wise, E90 > IS > TL. Not sure about G's but I'd guess it's somewhere in between IS and TL. It doesn't mean I don't like my type-S; it suites my needs for the time being, but it's does not handle like the competitors I've driven.
A good part of that is probably the RWD of the e90 and IS. RWD will give a different driving character to the car and once accustomed to that, FWD just won't feel the same/as good.

However, the TL-S (MT) has outrun the IS350 and the G35 on the track (twice in published comparisions, iirc. One was on the Willows course with the Japanses driver and the TL-S won by ~2 seconds). Both of those cars have more HP and TQ. To make up for the difference, the TL-S handling has to be as good if not better.

Not claiming that our daily drivers are track super stars and certainly not sports cars, but they have enough sport character to be pretty fun to drive. They are also easy to work on, so as a hobby, bolting up some mods and going on a mountain run or a one-off track day is a nice diversion. Then, you hop in the car Monday and have a nice comfy ride to work.

Can't beat that in a 4-door family sedan.
Old 04-29-2009, 10:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bearcat94
A good part of that is probably the RWD of the e90 and IS. RWD will give a different driving character to the car and once accustomed to that, FWD just won't feel the same/as good.

However, the TL-S (MT) has outrun the IS350 and the G35 on the track (twice in published comparisions, iirc. One was on the Willows course with the Japanses driver and the TL-S won by ~2 seconds). Both of those cars have more HP and TQ. To make up for the difference, the TL-S handling has to be as good if not better.

Not claiming that our daily drivers are track super stars and certainly not sports cars, but they have enough sport character to be pretty fun to drive. They are also easy to work on, so as a hobby, bolting up some mods and going on a mountain run or a one-off track day is a nice diversion. Then, you hop in the car Monday and have a nice comfy ride to work.

Well said
Old 04-29-2009, 01:01 PM
Instructor

I agree for the most part. The car is capable, but it does take more from the driver to get the same out of the car compared to the others. It's a great daily driver with a sport character as you stated, which is why I bought it at the first place. I like it as is.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:11 PM
Ride or Die !!

Originally Posted by jeowen
Well said
Originally Posted by Cerezo
I agree for the most part. The car is capable, but it does take more from the driver to get the same out of the car compared to the others. It's a great daily driver with a sport character as you stated, which is why I bought it at the first place. I like it as is.

I think all of you guys have a valid point, the TL-S is an amazing car because I know for a fact that I can beat most normal drivers regardless of what they have. V8 American, or even AMG German, this is because I know how to drive stick really good, and the TL-s in 6 speed is a real bad boy!! Do not under estimate the power it has. We all have to remember that the same J block v6 was used in the RL and I believe the NSX also used a similar J series engine!! It easily handled over 300 hp in the RL and also it does not matter how much horse power you have but rather how well your vechicle can use it. Look at a srt-4, or mini cooper for example!! They dont have much power but they move!!!
Old 04-29-2009, 06:25 PM
Acuras Only in

IMO type-s is a good enough daily car that I won't bother to add more performance mods ... but if you prefer, you are certainly welcome to add more cosmetic mods to it ... we all agree here that TL is not the best type of car to have lots of perf. mods options, but I'm past the stage of my life that I have to go fast all the time or trying to race every other car come close to me, hwy or local ...
Old 04-30-2009, 09:22 PM
Ride or Die !!

Hey can you guys check my album out and give me some ratings, I also put my cousins M3 on, so be my guest and compare the two cars!!
Old 05-04-2009, 09:46 AM
Instructor

Ah, my mistake then. I assumed you were talking about the Streets video.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:57 PM

Wow.. you weren't kidding. I have much more respect for our little FWD family sedan. Sorry for the small print. You can get the specs yourself from fastestlaps.com.. If you're interested. I think the fastest FWD car on Willow Springs is a scion tC.. .. I'll keep the TL.

Old 05-04-2009, 04:36 PM

Track Maps for Reference