Stereo Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2003 | 06:51 PM
9th Gear

Question Stereo Question

Overall impression of my new 6MT is wow...amazing (See my next thread for imressions). I feel that the stereo has great volume, clarity and low distortion.

Still after having so many Bose stereos in the past it feels like there is not enough treble even on +6.

Is it a little short on treble? Or is it because there is so much mid & base that it sort of drowns out treble. Or am I crazy. After a while do you adjust and get used to it?

Could aftermarket speakers help/ if so anyone try yet and which brand?

What settings are others using?

me:
Treb+6
Bass+2
Center +6
Sub +4
Fad C
Bal C
Old 11-12-2003 | 07:07 PM
DNA
Instructor

No, it really is lacking in upper frequencies, even playing DVD-A's. I plan on measuring the frequency response in the next couple weeks, but my ears tell me that there is very little response above 10KHz. Treble boost doesn't help much because that takes affect much lower in frequency, probably around 3KHz.

I'm not sure why the high end is so depressed or whether different tweeters would solve the problem. I suspect one reason is that there's no tweeter for the center channel. This may have forced the designers to drop off the highs on the L-R channels in order to achieve a better balance with the center.

I think the best balance, at least in my TL, is achieved by leaving all the controls at or near center. I boost the Treble +2 and leave all the other's at center.