Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering column rattle

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 11:58 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering column rattle

Does anyone else have a rattle from the steering column? I thought it was my keys but it is not. I have to go in for a B1 service and wanted them to look at it.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:09 PM
Racer

Does it sound like it's coming from either the steering column or the guages? If so, that's exactly what I have. I can't pinpoint exactly where it's coming from. All I know is that it's annoying. I'm just worried that they'll have to take apart my dashboard to fix it and in the process, create more rattles.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by HondaOnly
Is it sound like it's coming from either the steering column or the guages? If so, that's exactly what I have. I can't pinpoint exactly where it's coming from. All I know is that it's annoying. I'm just worried that they'll have to take apart my dashboard to fix it and in the process, create more rattles.
this is so common in the tsx too (what i own). Mine has been making the noise since may and i purchased the car in february. If its the same noise, does it sound like the noise a screw would make if you shook it around inside a plastic cup? The other day it was so bad, i was able to bang my steering wheel when I was driving and recreate the sound. I havent had a slow minute to just sit with the car parked and hit it until I can find where the noise is comming from.

hopefully someone finds the source soon. I will NOT bring my car in to get this fixed by the dealer unless they know exactly what it is bc ive had too many cars in the past that have had minor dashboard pieces removed and replaced and it caused a domino effect of random rattles...

good luck...
Old 12-14-2004, 01:23 PM
Racer

oh yeah... and some people who have had it fixed said the dealers had insulated some airbag/horn springs (doesnt sound like a spring to me), someone else said a clip was loose and someone else said the dealer found a loose screw... who knows at this point anymore
Old 12-14-2004, 01:34 PM
Awesome to the Max

i have it from the guages as well...tried to listen for it...but it's at low rpms in like..4th gear or something..
Old 12-14-2004, 01:40 PM
Intermediate

I had this the first few months I had my TL. It seemed to only start at a certain temp. It would get REALLY BAD, and then as the car warmed up inside, it went away. Is that what all you experienced also?

Its a pretty distinct noise. Almost sounds like there is a marble in the dash somewhere?

I noticed that i could get it to go away by pressing pretty hard on the plastic covering the gagues.

Whats even more strange, is---as it got colder this year...I have not heard the noise again!
Old 12-14-2004, 02:15 PM
Go USC Gamecocks!

I hear the rattle as well, but it actually IS MY KEYS, where the key fob and clip click together...haha.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:21 PM
1st Gear

Next time you hear the rattle try grabbing on to the turn signal lever. If you hold it the rattle goes away.

I had the same rattle and have spent hours trying to diagnose it and had the car in 2-3 times to see if the service department could fix it. They could never find it. I just found it last week so I have not gone to the service department to have them try and fix it but I feel like I am halfway there as it took so long for me to even find it.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:35 PM
Vroooooom....Vrooooooom!!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
More rattles than my 8 year old civic with 145,000 miles

I have more rattles on my brand new 05TL than I do my 8 year old honda civic that currently has 145,000 miles on it.

I currently have the same rattle...almost sounds like it is coming from the drivers side air vent, yet I simply can't pin point it. I do know this...it is VERY annoying! I also think I have one at the back 3rd brake light. Argh!

That being said...I wouldn't trade the TL for the world at the moment. I love the car. The car makes up for rattles in other ways...would I expect better from a $33,000 automobile...yes, but I guess it's that word "compromise" something I learned how to do alot being married! LOL

Every good relationship must have a little compromise I guess
Old 12-14-2004, 02:48 PM
Cruisin'

I have an 04 TL with 12000 miles. Now that the weather is getting colder, upon start up I notice a rattle that I have found to be both kick panels around the console. It only happens when the car is cold . I think it is like a harmonic vibration and it goes away after I drive a few miles. If it bothers me enough ,I will try to WD-40 the edge next to the console and possibly wedge something between the kick panel and the floor. Other than that, the car runs beautifully and I am very satisfied. I would be interested to hear from anyone with an 04 that has a lot of mileage. I am curious if any mechanical problems have arisen. Thank you
Old 12-14-2004, 08:57 PM
Team WDP Surgeon General

I have an '04 with 22,000 miles. Lots of rattles, a lot I have fixed, some I am still working on.

I have loose, hanging down headliner just over the third brake light cover only.

I have slightly scratched dealer installed tint which occurred before I did the moleskin. I'll be having the dealer address these things soon.

I do have a weird sensation when braking from speed. With constant steady brake pressure, it will suddenly act like I just hit the brakes harder. I figured this may be the engine kicking down to a lower gear but it is somewhat startling to feel the braking suddenly kick in even though the pressure of my foot on the brake hasn't changed.

No mechanical issues I am aware of yet however.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:45 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sonytl
Does anyone else have a rattle from the steering column? I thought it was my keys but it is not. I have to go in for a B1 service and wanted them to look at it.
I have a similar rattle. I cannot tell if it is coming from the steering column, the tweeter/grill, or somewhere in the dash. I am waiting for my first service to have the dealer look at it. It is VERY loud though. Would you please update this post if you get it fixed?

Thanks.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:46 AM
Intermediate

I've been hearing the steering column rattle lately too. After pushing and feeling all around the dash, gauges, etc., I found that if I forced the steering wheel up with my knee the problem went away. Seemed to work several times in a row on the way home from work. Next time I hear the noise I'll try it again. About to go in for A1 service and I'd like to identify the source by then.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:23 PM
Intermediate

I had the same rattle. Dealer took apart steering column and isolated it to ignition mount. Repalced ignition mount, no more rattles at all.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:32 PM
Instructor

My '04 has just over 6000 miles. I started hearing a steering column/gauge cluster rattle within the last couple of weeks.

I'm taking the car in for "A" service next Monday. This will be part of the "rattle patrol" I've requested. A service tech is supposed to do a ride-along to isolate the rattles. I'll report the results here.
Old 12-16-2004, 05:13 PM
Racer

Dont 4get the sunroof slide cover rattle, mine sucks now.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:01 AM
Intermediate

I think I had that too. In my case it was a loose clip somewhere in or around the console that houses the map lights. The delaer sort of fixed it. I heard it again the day after picked it up form service. After a few pushes and four letter words it stopped. I think it likes the cold weather beccaue it's been silent ever since. Even money it comes back in the spring.
Old 12-17-2004, 08:10 AM
9th Gear

Mine is currently at the dealer for a steering column rattle. The sound seems metallic. It appears to be coming from the right side of the steering column. I'll let them know about the ignition mount and have them check it out. I'll post the results as soon as I get her back!
Old 12-21-2004, 01:16 PM
Instructor

I just heard from my service rep. They've fixed the steering column rattle by tightening several things and replacing two clips in the column and dash. If anyone wants more details, let me know. I'll see what I can dig up.

The dealership also fixed my drooping headliner and put some felt tape inside the vanity mirror cover on each sun visor to kill that rattle.

They were unable to identify an intermittent rattle I've experienced in the glovebox area though (even kept the car overnight to drive it cold).

Out the door cost of the service was $33 and change.

OT: A few comments on the RSX loaner I had. I was not impressed. My 1990 Integra GS felt like a better built car. The RSX drove well, but the interior didn't say $20K car to me. If I was in the market for that level/size of car, I think I'd have a hard time justifying the cost of the RSX (base model, at least) over a Scion Tc or the like. Isn't the RSX about due for a redesign? If they'll just bring the interior up to the level of the newer Acura models, it would be one hot car.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:38 PM
Racer

can you let me know the write up they did on the steering rattle fix? were you able to reproduce the noise by banging on the wheel with your hand? Also, what dealer. i am not in the mood to play the runaround game with the service people as I have taken my car in for it just yesterday, was told they found a loose wire and repositioned it, yet still hear the noise (this is in a tsx btw). If i can get the name of your dealer i can call them and ask them for even more detail to help my situation. Thanks
Old 12-29-2004, 10:26 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mrcenzo
can you let me know the write up they did on the steering rattle fix? were you able to reproduce the noise by banging on the wheel with your hand? Also, what dealer. i am not in the mood to play the runaround game with the service people as I have taken my car in for it just yesterday, was told they found a loose wire and repositioned it, yet still hear the noise (this is in a tsx btw). If i can get the name of your dealer i can call them and ask them for even more detail to help my situation. Thanks

The service was done at David McDavid Acura in Plano, TX. They wrote up the steering column rattle like this:

"Interior Trim: Client states there is an intermittent rattle in the gauge cluster area. Advise. Rattle is from wiring and clips removed cluster and installed felt tape to wiring and clips reassembled and test drove."

One week later, the rattle is still gone. Good luck with yours.