Sponsored by:

On Star in TL?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2004, 08:05 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question On Star in TL?

Hi -
I was reading up on the new RL coming out in 2005 and saw that it not only will have the traffic navi system but will also come available with On Star. I thought this was only available on GM products - does anyone know if this is something that could be added on later (ie. to a 004 TL)? As a female who does a lot of traveling alone I like the concept of the On Star. Anyone have any insight?
Cheesehead
Old 04-22-2004, 11:19 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recently on the New York autoshow I asked the OnStar representatives if anyone can install it as an aftermarket and their response was a negative one. They claimed that OnStar can only be factory installed.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:28 AM
Retired MOD

Originally Posted by cheesehead
Hi -
I was reading up on the new RL coming out in 2005 and saw that it not only will have the traffic navi system but will also come available with On Star. I thought this was only available on GM products - does anyone know if this is something that could be added on later (ie. to a 004 TL)? As a female who does a lot of traveling alone I like the concept of the On Star. Anyone have any insight?
Cheesehead
I'll tell you that the TL had it. The current RL has it. It was the 03 TL that came with onstar, but I guess most people didn't care specially because we have cell phone and now that it is integraded into the car with bluetooth, they thought it was not necessary.
Old 04-22-2004, 11:30 AM
Cruisin'

You do not need on-star if you have the Hands Free Link system in the car, and a Bluetooth Hands Free Profile phone. Then you only need to have service for your phone, thats a lot cheaper than paying for on-star. Go to http://www.acura.com/models/model_co...asp?module=tl# for more detail.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:20 PM
Instructor

I personally wouldn't want On-Star, however I can understand people wanting it. On-Star had a couple of really cool features that a cell phone and bluetooth can't give. Such as if On-Star senses that the air bags where deployed such as in the event of an accident, On-Star will contact the paramedics. Also, if you lock your keys in your car, On-Star can unlock it for you.

It is a neat safety feature, too bad it isn't an option for those who want it.
Old 04-22-2004, 12:26 PM
Advanced

On-Star is great
wish it was in Tl
went on an adventure and
drove a few hours above qubec with it in my surburban
cell phone did not work at all
on star let me make a call in the middle artic tundra
Old 04-22-2004, 01:12 PM
Racer

The RL has had the On-Star system for several years.
Old 04-22-2004, 01:20 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Question

How On-Star works? Is it using radio wave or using satellite?

I just wonder, if On-Star is using something else rather than cellular phone's frequency, it may save life when emergency needs.

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2004, 02:47 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Probably it's more appealing if it's there's not monthly/yearly fee
Old 04-22-2004, 02:48 PM
Instructor

On-Star is pretty cool. Since it works with satellite the coverage is far better then cell phones.

I recently went fishing with some friends in AZ (Black River) and one of them has it in his Envoy and we were able to make calls from his SUV vs having to drive 1/2 hour to town from the cabin.

FYI I caught a 24 inch Trout on the river.
Old 04-22-2004, 04:50 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by INMI
You do not need on-star if you have the Hands Free Link system in the car, and a Bluetooth Hands Free Profile phone. Then you only need to have service for your phone, thats a lot cheaper than paying for on-star. Go to http://www.acura.com/models/model_co...asp?module=tl# for more detail.
Wrong, wrong, wrong. Handsfree calling is a tiny fraction of what OnStar offers. The main features of OnStar are (as mentioned here) the airbag notification, theft tracking, remote unlocking, etc. The HandsFreeLink (via Bluetooth) does NOT offer these features.

I have OnStar in my '03 TL-S, and I love it. I use the handsfree ability VERY little. I'm just happy knowing that if I plow into a tree in BFE, someone will come to my rescue.

I am not happy that Acura took out OnStar on the TL's on the '04 models
Old 04-22-2004, 05:00 PM
Amateur Gynecologist

What does the On-Star service cost per month/year? Does the price vary for any reasons?
Old 04-22-2004, 09:26 PM
8th Gear

I've had Onstar in my last two cars (both Saabs).
The safety and security plan is $17 a month and includes airbag notification, stolen vehicle tracking, remote unlocking (although they can't do it for a Saab), remote horn/lights flashing if you can't find your car, roadside assistance and remote diagnostics.
If you add directions and concierge services (restaurant reservations, etc) it comes to $35 a month.
While they are really polite and will stay on the line with you till you reach your destination if you ask, they've also gotten me lost a few times.
The advantage is that you don't have to fumble with the navigation system if you get lost, just press a button and someone will come on the line and know exactly where you are.
Not sure if the hands free on the TL amplifies the telephone signal, but Onstar uses analog lines at higher wattage so I have coverage where my regular cell phone doesn't work.
If I had a navigation system, I would probably only get the safety and security package. It's reassuring to know that if you have an accident, someone will call to check if you're OK and notify EMS if they don't get a reply.
I believe the only TL to have Onstar was the 2003 with navi.
Old 04-22-2004, 09:48 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
After 2/16/08, the cellular carriers won't be "required" to maintain the analog wireless netowrk system anymore. Between now and that date, On-star is on the procedure to transfer their system to dual mode hardware...

I got two extra questions for you guys...

Someone ever said it's hard to reach rep of OnStar most of time, is it true?

On-star relies on the car battery, if the battery is dead, will On-star still be able to track it or unlock your door?

Thanks.
Old 04-22-2004, 10:14 PM
TL-SHAWD 6MT Rocks!

Originally Posted by INMI
The new 2005 will have both Bluetooth HFL and On-Star....

Some On-Star systems will even diagnose an engine problem and let you know if you really need to go to a service center quick, or if it can wait.
Old 04-23-2004, 03:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rets
After 2/16/08, the cellular carriers won't be "required" to maintain the analog wireless netowrk system anymore. Between now and that date, On-star is on the procedure to transfer their system to dual mode hardware...

I got two extra questions for you guys...

Someone ever said it's hard to reach rep of OnStar most of time, is it true?

On-star relies on the car battery, if the battery is dead, will On-star still be able to track it or unlock your door?

Thanks.
OnStar is currently converting to digital (not sure what the status is).

I have never had trouble reaching an OnStar rep.

Yes, if the car battery dies, bye bye OnStar.
Old 04-23-2004, 07:05 PM
8th Gear

The Motorola GPS module in Onstar does have a battery backup so perhaps they can still track the car for some period of time but I don't believe there is any backup to power the signal to Onstar if the airbags deploy if the battery is destroyed.
As for remote door unlocking, even if there was backup power for Onstar, you would need regular battery power to use the power lock system on the car.
I've had to wait a couple of minutes a few times, primarily on Sunday evenings when they probably have fewer reps and at a time people get lost on their way home from weekend destinations. Otherwise, usually there isn't a wait.
Old 04-24-2004, 06:49 AM
Retired MOD

Originally Posted by NOX 3.2
The new 2005 will have both Bluetooth HFL and On-Star....

Some On-Star systems will even diagnose an engine problem and let you know if you really need to go to a service center quick, or if it can wait.
2005 TL....I really don't think it will have on-star....plus it already has engine diagnostics. Actually I could tell you that it won't have it.....it did on 2003....is not coming back at least for 2005
Old 04-24-2004, 07:22 AM
Instructor

On-star is a built in cell phone that uses " VERIZON WIRELESS" not satellite or anything else. Yes Verizon cellular service that is what on-star is. So now we just have to wait for a bluetooth Verizon and we'll be set.
Old 04-24-2004, 09:04 AM
Retired MOD

Originally Posted by Jcxny
On-star is a built in cell phone that uses " VERIZON WIRELESS" not satellite or anything else. Yes Verizon cellular service that is what on-star is. So now we just have to wait for a bluetooth Verizon and we'll be set.
Not entirely correct..... :tflamer:

Q. How does OnStar work?
A. OnStar uses existing emergency service providers, cellular telephone and satellite technologies. It operates alongside the electrical system in your vehicle and is powered by your vehicle's battery. If your vehicle's battery is damaged or disconnected, our service will not function. Onstar currently uses the analog cellular network maintained by separate cellular companies. This provides the broadest geographic coverage of any current wireless system in the United States and Canada.