Sponsored by:

Squealing Brembo Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 12:05 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Squealing Brembo Question

Hey guys I have another brakes question:

When I apply my brakes, they do no squeal until I am about to be at a full stop and when I lightly apply pressure coming to a stop.

I have assumed that I need new pads, which I am going to do in the next few weeks.

However today when I registered my car on myacura.com, this was on there about the brakes:

All four brakes have audible brake wear indicators. When the brake pads need replacing, you will hear a distinctive metallic "screeching" sound when you apply the brakes. If you do not have the brake pads replaced, they will begin screeching all the time.

Your brakes may sometimes squeal or squeak when you apply them lightly. Do not confuse this with the brake wear indicators. They make a very audible "screeching".

Occasional noise can be caused by the light application of brakes for a prolonged distance before stopping, or from high relative humidity. These are normally temporary and are considered normal brake noises not requiring repair.

Thoughts? Seems like I have this exact diagnosis stated in the last paragraph. But my sense is that I should probably change the pads anyway to avoid damaging the calipers or pistons.

Thoughts?
Old 08-18-2010, 12:15 PM
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah this is a common problem and topic of discussion... either replace them or get used to it.

I had same issue. Replaced my pads a month or 2 ago with some autozone cmax gold pads for $65 and lifetime wrnty... NOT ONE squeal since and the brake dust is virtually gone!! i went a month w/o a carwash and rims were prob 50% dust covered vs how it looked after a few days with OEM pads..

HIGHLY recommend those pads. Once they wear down return for a new set free!
Old 08-18-2010, 12:20 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mjakaz06TL
Yeah this is a common problem and topic of discussion... either replace them or get used to it.

I had same issue. Replaced my pads a month or 2 ago with some autozone cmax gold pads for $65 and lifetime wrnty... NOT ONE squeal since and the brake dust is virtually gone!! i went a month w/o a carwash and rims were prob 50% dust covered vs how it looked after a few days with OEM pads..

HIGHLY recommend those pads. Once they wear down return for a new set free!
Haha funny you should say..... those exact pads are sitting in my garage just waiting to be put on..... gotta get around to it.

Just for reference of someone that may not be considering putting these pads on, does this mean that the brakes are not worn (so the calipers and rotors and not getting damaged)?
Old 08-18-2010, 01:59 PM
under renovations....

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
There was a tsb on this. It stated that you have to apply the brembo lube on the backside of the shim as well as the backside of the pad. I did my brakes a couple of months ago and after a month the squeal came back. That's when I stumbled on that tsb about adding the extra lube to the back of the shim where the caliper piston contacts it.
Old 08-18-2010, 04:42 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
thanks for posting this thread, it answers my question about my brembos also. i know my pads are fine now since i almost got into an accident today but as i was braking kind of hard there was no squeeling at all.

also i hate cleaning my front rims due to the dust i cant wait till my pads are worn out and i can get me some Cmax gold!
Old 08-18-2010, 06:38 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 510 Likes on 367 Posts
This is a common thing with Brembo calipers. All cars with them installed have this at least a little. Especially when reversing. By friends STI, and his Dad's G35 both do the same thing. My 05 6MT TL does this every once in a while as well. No biggie. Not a problem unless they squeal bad all the time...

Sometimes you can simply blast the brakes out with a hose and it will remove the dust and bits that cause it...

PS: I also hate cleaning my wheels separate from the car. This is why I simply let them build up massive dust until I wash the car. I wear the dirty front wheels a badge of Brembo honor... lol
Old 08-18-2010, 07:42 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by CubanLynx84
There was a tsb on this. It stated that you have to apply the brembo lube on the backside of the shim as well as the backside of the pad. I did my brakes a couple of months ago and after a month the squeal came back. That's when I stumbled on that tsb about adding the extra lube to the back of the shim where the caliper piston contacts it.
That is correct, but not all who have noise have exactly the same issues.

However, Acura did update the pad package with the TSB. They (iirc) included shims, chamfered the brake pads and changed from Molykote-77 lube to Brembo lube.

I never had an issue but have always had shims and chamfered pads. With my replacement pads I got the new Brembo lube.

The squealer tab is a completely different noise - very high pitched and louder.

Here's the TSB: http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/B04-019.PDF
Old 08-18-2010, 11:01 PM
#1 Super Guy!

Received 510 Likes on 367 Posts
The original pads were also chamfered. All they did was make the angle more shallow on the leading edge only. Probably the reason they still squeal a little in reverse...