Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sport Shift Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 08:28 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sport Shift Question

Okay, so what am I missing? I've tried the Sport Shift a few times and I just don't get it. The shifting is unatural; there's no real tactile feedback from the car as it revs up (or down) the gears to prompt a shift as you get in a real MT; if I'm driving along in '4' and brake for a light I see no apparent need or even value in downshifting because the car takes care of it if I don't downshift; not to mention the automatic upshift from 1 to 2.

I've read where others refer to the 5AT as the 'best of both worlds' because of the SS. So I must be missing something because I find it a totally unsatisfying (and, frankly, useless) feature.

Don't get me wrong. I'm very satisfied with the AT and don't regret buying it, but I can't imagine ever wanting to push the stick to the left to put it in SS mode again.

I'd be interested in feedback from someone(s) who likes the SS mode and who has driven a true MT before. (My TL is only the second automatic I've owned in the last 25 years, so my experience is heavily weighted to driving a 5-speed.)

Jerry
'04 Anthracite/Camel, 5AT, Non-Nav
Old 04-19-2004, 08:34 PM
100k miles club

IMO having the 5AT is not the best of both worlds. i have gotten 5500 RPMs from 1st gear but that's it, it automatically shifts to second. i've gotten about 65 MPH on 2nd before i have to shift. i think you can get higher on 6MT

i usually use SS when getting on the freeway. i also like it coz it helps me slow down by downshifting instead of using my brakes fully. i have more fun using SS than the automatic and don't regret buying it over 6MT. #1 reason i bought automatic was the infamous L.A. traffic. now if my TL was a weekend car it'd be a different story
Old 04-19-2004, 08:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
JerryH - I agree with you completely...95% of the time.

There are occasions, such as bad weather or sudden acceleration, where telling the car what gear to be in is helpful. The rest of the time, you're right, SS is nothing like a stick.

By the way, nice color combo, from an unbiased observer.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:52 PM
Instructor

I have actually started using SS when passing. A quick snap back two times will drop me from fifth to third. At highway speeds (60 MPH) this will put me tach'ing about 4-5k then you punch it and feel the VTEC. Get the burst of speed to about 80 and then snap it up once or twice for fourth or fifth (or just put it back to Auto)

Leaving it in full auto the car will drop to fourth and eventually may make it to third if it is floored overall it seem much more sluggish.

I also use it when slowing down, too bad you can't downshift into 1st.

Your right it is nothing like the 6SP but once you get used to using it, it can be fun.
Old 04-19-2004, 09:41 PM
Racer

Its pretty good

It takes some getting used to, but I like the fact that with a flick of the wrist, you can down shift, hold a gear and go through the corners or use the downshift to engine brake. I find it much better then just leaving it in auto mode and you can downshift more agressively. I especially like holding it in 3rd at moderate freeway speeds and punching the throttle, or 2nd at modest speeds. It can do the trick if you get used to it.
Old 04-19-2004, 10:03 PM
Team Camel Executive VP

Good thread, fellas.....question though- I've never driven a manual and I've never played with any sport shift variant.......is it something easy to learn or do I risk ruining the tranny?
Old 04-20-2004, 12:11 AM
Racer

I noticed a lag in response time when using the SS. For example, climbing a steep grade, I'd drop a gear and have to wait a second before the rpm kicks up. I don't notice this as much in auto mode. What's the trick here? How do you guys get the SS to acknowledge your intention rather than thinking about it?

W1n78, you're right. Driving a manual in LA must be pure suicide. I remember driving around a christmas tree neighbor in a muncy 4sp (Z28) and damed near broke my leg.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:20 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by boltjames
Good thread, fellas.....question though- I've never driven a manual and I've never played with any sport shift variant.......is it something easy to learn or do I risk ruining the tranny?
No if you stay in a gear too long the rev limiter will kick in and prevent you from over-reving the engine. Not to mention you will hear the VTEC HOWL!

Completely safe.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:23 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by casooner90
I noticed a lag in response time when using the SS. For example, climbing a steep grade, I'd drop a gear and have to wait a second before the rpm kicks up. I don't notice this as much in auto mode. What's the trick here? How do you guys get the SS to acknowledge your intention rather than thinking about it?

W1n78, you're right. Driving a manual in LA must be pure suicide. I remember driving around a christmas tree neighbor in a muncy 4sp (Z28) and damed near broke my leg.
There is a lag, but you get used to it. Hitting it twice in sucession (tap, tap) will put you from 5th to 3rd in about the same time as hitting it once would put you into 4th.

When passing I bump it down to 3rd and then step on the gas and go. Much different than a stick where you would do it almost at the same time.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:23 AM
Advanced

Has anyone tried putting the shifter in first (all the way back) holding first a little longer then shifting to SS for second on up? It works well for me and the car blasts of the line... with no problem.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:41 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Exclamation

JerryH,

I don't think our SS mode is as good as Acura says. It repsonds slowly. Of course, I never think it's going to match 6MT. SS mode of our 04TL is even worse than RSX's, IMO.

For me, SS mode is only good for holding the gear to rev high or escaping from the vibration at 1500RPM/5th gear/50-55 MPH. If I need to accelerate, I usually kick the gas, then shift to SS mode after ECU automatically downshift my gear. (this is faster than shifting to SS mode and wait for SS mode downshifting it) This is as TLJonh said, the lag.

Practically, 5AT's 1st gear could rev as high as 6300-6400 RPM by either SS mode or D mode, then 2nd gear (D mode) could do 6400 RPM, too, as w1n78 said, it's about 65-67 MPH. (Anyone likes to enjoy more about 1st gear, please try L mode.)

Old 04-20-2004, 01:46 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Cool

Originally Posted by SPURS&ANTH.TL
Has anyone tried putting the shifter in first (all the way back) holding first a little longer then shifting to SS for second on up? It works well for me and the car blasts of the line... with no problem.

Do you mean to use L mode? Or just use D mode at 1st gear then shift to SS mode at 2nd gear?

If ppl like to have fun, it's good to try using L mode at 1st gear then shift SS mode at 2nd.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:57 AM
Racer

In SS, I have red lined the car. It's all in the pedal. The combination of the SS and pedal work will help you get the RPMs where you want them.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:03 AM
Advanced

Jerry H - I do understand what you're asking, as someone who drove MT for over 12 years and loved it. I find the SS "reminds" me of what I enjoyed about MT, without in any way being a true equivalent, and in that sense isn't really the best of both worlds. But, among the things I get reminded of is the utility of the SS for engine breaking or highway acceleration, as others on this thread have mentioned, the fun of picking the right gear for tight cornering, etc. and (without the satisfaction of stomping the clutch and feeling the stick engage the gear change) having some kind of greater mechanical link with the gear by grabbing that shaft (no armchair psycholanalysis, please). It will never replace the true MT, though *sigh* (BTW, I first gave up the MT in the pre hands-free cell phone era, when there were just too many things to handle; prior to that, I had even had the wife take MT lessons and although she learned, she was never comfortable and was so pleased when, prior to the TL, I finally went over to AT, so that I couldn't see, tempted as I was, forcing her to take the MT again).
Old 04-20-2004, 10:14 AM
'06 750Li Sapphire/Creme

I guess those posters who have not gotten SS to go the the limit, simply aren't "pushing" the car hard enough. True, it will upshift if your foots not down all the way. You cannot be "wimpy" with the SS. If you are, you will only get the lack luster results of the first few posters. However, even after stating this I do have to admit that the SS in the Acura is only a fraction of the SS modes in the other cars that have them. I am specifically referencing my past two cars (a '97 BMW 740iL and a 2001 Mercedes CLK55). In both of the "higher line" cars, the SS would NOT automatically upshift (That's what the rev limiter is for in the event that you "mistakenly" leave it in 1st past the practical limit). With the Benz/BMW I could "hold" a gear while at higher revs without HAVING to keep the accelerator floored. A good example is a speed of around 95-100 in the TL. That's a super torque range in the TL in 3rd but since the car "thinks" it needs to be in 4th at that level, it automatically upshifts on you (stupid). If I'm going up a mountain at 103MPH around a curve and either want of need to keep the revs up for the best exit off the curve, I DO NOT want the car to decide that since I do not have the accelerator floored that it needs to upshift on me. So, in the end the SS can be fun (if you "stay in it") but as a true performance auto....The TL does not have it!

PS - The autos in the Benz were not perfect either. The upshift on my CLK55 was "delayed" so much so that I actually had to upshift 3 or 4 thousand RPM below my targets so that it would actually shift into the higher gear when I intend. The delay was considerably WORSE than the TL's delay but at least I could hold the gear....
Old 04-20-2004, 10:22 AM
Rum Runner

Coming from a 5 Speed Mustang GT, and a 5 speed Mustang GT before that, and a 5 Speed Eclipse GST before that and so on...

This is my first automatic car. On clear roads, I really miss the stick shift. However, the automatic in the TL is a blessing in Miami traffic. :bowdown: I too use the SS mode to slow down and to hold 2nd and third while accelerating briskly.

When I really want to take off hard, I switch down to L and stift out when I get into 2nd.

It is not anywhere near the feeling of driving a real stick, but it can be fun sometimes when I really miss going through the gears. I was really considering the 6MT, but I am glad I got the 5AT.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:42 AM
Advanced

BTW Sport Shifters -- do you let up on the gas when you use the SS to upshift? From long MT habit I have been doing that (and my left foot vibrates while longing for the missing ghost clutch pedal) when using the SS -- is it necessary, good practice, stupid?
Old 04-20-2004, 11:39 AM
Advanced

Well I do have a lot of experience with manuals (this is the first automatic that I have bought for myself -- my wife has owned a number of automatics, though) and the sport shift option was critical in my decision (acquiescence?) to go go with the automatic. Having said that, do I use it much? Not really. Only when in sprited driving mode. On the way to work, I just let the auto do its thing.

What is spirited driving? Well, I mean in limited adhesion situations. Let me give you an example, I used to have a Subaru WRX. When going off the highway at a particular off ramp in the WRX, if there was no traffic, I would go through the tightest part of the decreasing radius corner with all 4 sliding and a fair amount of power to the wheels. When in such a situation, you need to have tight control over power.

I approached that off ramp in my TL the other day and went through it in spirited mode (but not to the level of the WRX by any matter of means - I don't know the Acura well enough to do that at this point). As the corner gets tighter, you need to increase your throttle opening to maintain speed. This continued until I had quite a "handful" of throttle. Suddenly the transmission dropped down 2 gears and poured essentially full power to the front wheels. That is not what you want in a delicate situation like that!

In the future when driving in spirited mode, I will make sure I control what gear the transmission is in...

Just one man's point of view...
<TED>

Originally Posted by JerryH
Okay, so what am I missing? I've tried the Sport Shift a few times and I just don't get it. The shifting is unatural; there's no real tactile feedback from the car as it revs up (or down) the gears to prompt a shift as you get in a real MT; if I'm driving along in '4' and brake for a light I see no apparent need or even value in downshifting because the car takes care of it if I don't downshift; not to mention the automatic upshift from 1 to 2.

I've read where others refer to the 5AT as the 'best of both worlds' because of the SS. So I must be missing something because I find it a totally unsatisfying (and, frankly, useless) feature.

Don't get me wrong. I'm very satisfied with the AT and don't regret buying it, but I can't imagine ever wanting to push the stick to the left to put it in SS mode again.

I'd be interested in feedback from someone(s) who likes the SS mode and who has driven a true MT before. (My TL is only the second automatic I've owned in the last 25 years, so my experience is heavily weighted to driving a 5-speed.)

Jerry
'04 Anthracite/Camel, 5AT, Non-Nav
Old 04-20-2004, 11:42 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally Posted by Wordsmith
BTW Sport Shifters -- do you let up on the gas when you use the SS to upshift? From long MT habit I have been doing that (and my left foot vibrates while longing for the missing ghost clutch pedal) when using the SS -- is it necessary, good practice, stupid?
No. You could shift without letting up on the gas.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:09 PM
Advanced

I have the same question about the lag. What use is a "sport shifter" if their's a lag?
By the time it shifts, the RPM's aren't where you wanted to shift. I've found it pretty useless myself.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:25 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rets
No. You could shift without letting up on the gas.
Just to elaborate on rets' response: I asked my dealer's service adviser, and the guy told me that the throttle will be cut briefly, so you can shift without letting go of the gas pedal.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:31 PM
Racer

SS Adoption

I had a 2001 TL and I have now become so accustomed to SS mode, I rarely drive it in auto. I don't find the lag intrusive at all. If you're going to shift a manual with a clutch, and use the clutch, there's no way you can shift as quickly as in SS mode. Also, when you're engine breaking, I find you can do it more smoothly than a full manual with the same effect.

If you want to appreciate SS mode, keep in second under a bridge or along an embarkment and modest speed, open all the windows and just listen. The 3.2 has one of the nicest engine notes I've heard, particulary when you accelerate.
Old 04-21-2004, 12:28 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Peters
I had a 2001 TL and I have now become so accustomed to SS mode, I rarely drive it in auto. I don't find the lag intrusive at all. If you're going to shift a manual with a clutch, and use the clutch, there's no way you can shift as quickly as in SS mode. Also, when you're engine breaking, I find you can do it more smoothly than a full manual with the same effect.

If you want to appreciate SS mode, keep in second under a bridge or along an embarkment and modest speed, open all the windows and just listen. The 3.2 has one of the nicest engine notes I've heard, particulary when you accelerate.
I agree with you on the sound. I really noticed it today after stopping for a toll. I took off with the window still down, nice throaty sound. Not quite as loud as the G.. but I kind of like that it is quiet with the windows up, but sounds tough outside the car.

I am getting used to the shift delay. Come on guys, it's not a manual, but does give the driver more control than a normal AT.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:53 AM
Team Anthracite Corsa

maybe acura can address the lag with a downloadable ECU upgrade available at the dealer......I know for my silverado you can adjust shift firmness via ECU(PCM)......don't see why that wouldn't be the same for acura besides no aftermarket/oem interest.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:58 AM
Instructor

Just buy the 6MT .
Old 04-21-2004, 01:41 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have heard that if you use the SS all the time, even with appropriate shifting, the gas mileage can be significantly worse. Any comments?
Old 04-21-2004, 02:29 PM
is learning to moonwalk i

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TLGator
I have heard that if you use the SS all the time, even with appropriate shifting, the gas mileage can be significantly worse. Any comments?
I have been driving my TL almost exclusively in SS mode and have been getting about 20-21 mpg with mostly city type (even though I drive the freeway) driving. Today, I let my girlfriend borrow the TL (I miss it already) and she will likely stay in auto. We filled the tank and rest the MID so I will see what the MID says when she gets home. I want to see what kind of mileage I would get in auto, but I like playing with the SS so much that I'm not sure I'll ever do it Maybe on a nice long drive to Vegas or something.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:43 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by William_B
Just buy the 6MT .